PDA

View Full Version : Mota Boy's Thought of the Day

Mota Boy
02-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Theory: Michigan is the worst state in the union.

Evidence:

1) Detroit: even as far south as its southern longitudinal equivalent, it's a synonym for shit. No, seriously: no Detroit.

2) The license plates. The license plates the license plates the license plates. I've noticed it before - well over a year before, but upon driving down to New Orleans and back this past extended weekend, I personally passed no less than eight and possibly as much as twelve Michigan plates in Mississippi and Louisiana alone. This is getting ridiculous.

I live in the South and I happen to observe the license plates of people that I pass (and I normally drive at speeds that causes me to pass a lot), and Michigan appears much more often tan it normally should, given the population and distance. In fact, a month ago I brought it up with other friends of mine, who all readily agree - the Michigan plate is a standout. All Michiganders are looking for any excuse possible to leave their state - the proof is right on our nation's highway system.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-23-2007, 02:53 AM
I was once told that each State prints a little "message" on it's license plates - is this true? If so, what's Michigan's message to the world?

Jakebert
02-23-2007, 03:17 AM
You also forgot that Michael Moore is from Michigan. That's like -100 points alone.

wheelchairman
02-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Oh I wish and wish again, that I was back in Michigan!

All About Eve
02-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Oh god, the license plate thing. Way too blue.

JohnnyNemesis
02-23-2007, 06:57 AM
A lot of really great hip-hop comes out of Detroit (Royce Da 5'9 and Slum Village just to name a few), so that's +1,000 pts. But then againm Kid Rock is from there :(

Endymion
02-23-2007, 07:40 AM
so i guess it's a good thing i decided to go to davis instead of umich, huh?

Mota Boy
02-23-2007, 08:09 AM
I was once told that each State prints a little "message" on it's license plates - is this true? If so, what's Michigan's message to the world?Several states, in their multiple designs, have their state mottos emblazoned on their license plates (my own joke about Arkansas' is that we used to be the "Land of Opportunity" until we realized that nobody else was buying it, so we switched to "The Natural State" because it's a polite way of saying that there's nothing there). Michigan's standard plate is solid blue with tiny block letters, so it not only stands out, but it causes everyone (or me at least) to subliminally associate it with the cold, frozen north.

I do hear surprisingly good things about U Michigan and surrounding towns, but it's generally put in the context of an isolated liberal hotspot, which - hell - even Arkansas has.

Endymion
02-23-2007, 11:36 AM
i was going more for the strong physics department and in particular the center for the study of complex systems -- but then i found out that the cscs was pretty much dead and davis' center for computational science and engineering (titles sound different, i know, but they're really very similar) is rising fast and just got two new supercomputers, so i figured i'd go there.

Mota Boy
02-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Oh, by the way - I saw a couple more MI plates yesterday, including one with a motto. I followed it for a couple blocks, trying to get close enough to read the motto before I realized that I'd have to give the owner a very silly explanation for why I'd just smashed into the back of his vehicle if he suddenly slammed on the breaks.

I still don't understand why there's a disproportionate amount of Michigan cars around the country. I like to think that it's partly due to the fact that Detroit is the birthplace of the automobile, but I think they just try to spend as much time as possible out of state. Other people I've mentioned this to in Nashville have also noticed it. What about in your neck of the woods?

Jakebert
02-24-2007, 11:47 AM
I notice a lot of Michigan plates here too, but I never really thought much of it, seeing as I see plates from almost every state here since I live close to some really "major" highways and interstates.

I think you might notice more Michigan plates in the South during the winter because it's supposed to be incredibly cold there in the winter, and people are probably trying to get away from that for a little bit. I've never been there, so I don't know for sure, but that's what I've heard.

All About Eve
02-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Fact: Southern winters are generally miserable. Cold and rainy and muggy.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-24-2007, 01:23 PM
I have many things to express about this thread.
--
I live in Detroit, Michigan. I'm happy. I love being in Michigan. I don't see what makes it "shit". I don't remember reading your reason.
--
And Ricky, you'd love Kid Rock if you were from Detroit and/or were white.
--
I happen to see a lot of Michigan plates too (Gee, I wonder why?). It might have something to do with Detroit being the Motor City or something like that, though, like said before.

These are 95% of the license plates in Michigan: http://www.sos.state.mi.us/history/autoshow/l_plates/images/splendrb.gif and http://bigdaddydata.com/images/lic_plates/mi_license_plate.jpg.

I don't know how you missed the sunset-bridge license plates. I don't see what makes Michigan look so cold in that one.
--
Here's my list of the "Pros and Cons" of Michigan. It's obviously bias.

Pros:

+ The Motor City. It has a cool name and cars are cheaper.
+ Weather. It's nice being able to experience cold and snow and also being able to experience heat and more heat.
+ Music scene. Does "Detroit Rock City" or "Motown" ring any bells?
+ Detroit. Awesome city to visit because of its liveliness.
+ Downriver. If you don't want to live in Detroit, you can live here where it's really nice, but still near one sweet city.
+ University of Michigan is a great college, with a good, but overrated hospital.
+ Sports. Self-explanatory.
+ Where's your penninsula?
+ Diversity. And a lot of it.
+ The Great Lakes, and the Detroit River. I don't have one, but a lot of people have boats they use to always go on the water.
+ Sand dunes.
+ I live there.

Cons:

- The Motor City. We're almost in an economic depression because of it now.
- Weather. Mostly disappointing.
- Detroit's whole crime rate and unsafety thing.
- Our politics.

--
I'll be glad to answer any questions.

calichix
02-27-2007, 09:35 AM
License plates don't mean nothin. Utah has an awesome license plate. Utah is the worst state in the union.

Mota Boy
02-27-2007, 02:21 PM
I live in Detroit, Michigan. I'm happy. I love being in Michigan. I don't see what makes it "shit". I don't remember reading your reason.There is no reason, it's a fact. In Chile and other Latin American countries, a slang term for feces is "Detroit", as in "You smell like Detroit." I found it in a Spanish slang dictionary, and before you question the validity of it, I then turned to the Chileans with whom I was staying and asked them if they really used it. Apparently it's a fairly common term.