PDA

View Full Version : Offspring joke songs?

rabidgerbats
02-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Pretty Fly For a White Guy, Original Prankster, Hit That, WTF?, dont get me wrong, I'm not saying these songs arent good, I'm just really fucking sick of them, every cd they release sence smash has one, what the fuck is up with that? they play that song Cant Repeat, yet every cd they release has one of these joke songs, this isnt a hate thread, I like these songs, but I think it would be nice to hear a cd with out one, It would seem more original I think.

Wouli
02-24-2007, 07:48 AM
stupid ...

Iamstupid
02-24-2007, 07:50 AM
"(Session) Keep coming back for session and I don't know why
(Session) I'll never learn
(Session) I'll never see
(Session) Just tell me why these sessions got a hold on me

Some might say it's a fling
For all I know it don't mean a thing
Either way I can't complain
Ain't no strings
Guess I got it made"

Offspring Radio is cool !

Wouli
02-24-2007, 08:00 AM
"(Session) Keep coming back for session and I don't know why
(Session) I'll never learn
(Session) I'll never see
(Session) Just tell me why these sessions got a hold on me

Some might say it's a fling
For all I know it don't mean a thing
Either way I can't complain
Ain't no strings
Guess I got it made"

Offspring Radio is cool !

ha ha lol
D.U.I ou Smash it up ? dur de choisir hein .... :D

Biggest offspring fan
02-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Already made, to lazy to find the thread.

bouncingcoles
02-24-2007, 09:32 AM
im praying the new offspring album doesnt have any joke songs

Iamstupid
02-24-2007, 09:42 AM
JOke songs won't kill you

Wouli
02-24-2007, 09:54 AM
JOke songs won't kill you

but bananas will kill you ..... I like joke songs :D

Grabbal
02-24-2007, 09:55 AM
as long as they turn out good I'm good..

Iamstupid
02-24-2007, 10:01 AM
but bananas will kill you ..... I like joke songs :D

Oh noo bananas won't killl me 'cause they never gonna find me plus I always kick the bananas when they're down ^^

And I like joke songs too they always makes me smile

ZagmenO
02-24-2007, 11:56 AM
The joke songs from past albums are very good. But if they want a good reputation, more fans, and a really huge comeback, they gotta give the joke songs a rest.

Iamstupid
02-24-2007, 12:20 PM
They already have a good reputation and a huge number of fans through the world so...

ThunderPX
02-24-2007, 12:23 PM
There haven't been joke songs since Smash. They've always been there. Or did you think Dexter was serious about cutting people's heads off and burning their houses?

darea
02-24-2007, 12:44 PM
I think the joke songs are something that belongs to the offspring and if you take them away, it would be like taking away an arm or the head of one of the guys of the band....

Although I do agree that an album without joke songs might be nice for a change...

Killboy
02-24-2007, 12:53 PM
There haven't been joke songs since Smash. They've always been there. Or did you think Dexter was serious about cutting people's heads off and burning their houses?

That song was made for a movie, in which, by the way, Dexter's beheaded.

darea
02-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Errr do you mean that there was another movie in which dexter was "playing"? because if you are talking about "Idle hands" that was made ages after beheaded was written, something like 2000, 2001....

Short_Attention_Span
02-24-2007, 01:26 PM
^ 1999, I believe. 10+ years after that song was written. So, unless Dexter has the gift of foresight or something...

As much as I don't really like all the joke songs, as someone already said, they're going to be there anyway, so it doesn't really matter. You don't have to listen to them, you know: just skip them if they bug you.
________
Free fuck videos (http://www.fucktube.com/)

ZagmenO
02-24-2007, 03:47 PM
They already have a good reputation and a huge number of fans through the world so...

Oh, I know. I'm not saying they have a bad reputation or that people think they suck. What I should've said was that if they want this next album to be a best selling thing, they gotta lay off the joke songs.

Venom Symbiote
02-24-2007, 04:00 PM
*sings* Oh, we've had this debate before, we've had this debate before, tra la la la lality fucking laa, we've had this debate before! *stops singing*

The Offspring write as many jokey songs as they do serious ones. Deal with it, you walking talking buttplugs.

ZagmenO
02-24-2007, 04:09 PM
*sings* Oh, we've had this debate before, we've had this debate before, tra la la la lality fucking laa, we've had this debate before! *stops singing*
Hey! That is a joke song!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rlplaymaker
02-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Pretty Fly For a White Guy, Original Prankster, Hit That, WTF?, dont get me wrong, I'm not saying these songs arent good, I'm just really fucking sick of them, every cd they release sence smash has one, what the fuck is up with that? they play that song Cant Repeat, yet every cd they release has one of these joke songs, this isnt a hate thread, I like these songs, but I think it would be nice to hear a cd with out one, It would seem more original I think.

HIT THAT IS NOT A FUCKING JOKE SONG!!!!! SERIOUS TOPIC, READ THE LYRICS. grrrrrrrrrr.........

DeAtHsTaR
02-24-2007, 05:33 PM

No it wasn't idiot, it was re-recorded in 1999 for that movie.

spidey255
02-25-2007, 11:35 PM
might I add he wasn't even beheaded? his scalp was just pulled open.

back to topic...yeah, Hit That isn't really a joke song. It's good instrumentally as well. Original Prankster, though of humorous nature, is good music. It's not basic chords and stuff like most of their stuff. Both of these songs have a lot more going on in them than the other songs.

Venom Symbiote
02-26-2007, 01:09 AM
No, no, you're mistaken on "Original Prankster".

"Pretty Fly" and "Hit That" = clever, funky, social-commentary songs, "Original Prankster" = bullshit generic embarassing cash-in. :mad:

*slap, kick*

malibu43
02-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Like someone else already pointed out, lot's of really good songs have funny or witty elements to the lyrics, so just saying "I don't like the joke songs" would be inaccurate. Walla Walla, One Fine Day, etc... are all really good songs that are kind of funny.

But, I would have to agree that there are certain elements that Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, and Hit That all have in common musically and lyrically, and I would really like not see the Offspring write another one of these. Yes, Pretty Fly was kind of cool the first 4 million times I heard it, but Original Prankster was a disgustingly obvious attempt to write another Pretty Fly, and it is the only Offspring song that I actually hate. Hit That was a little better, but it still had a "trying to be pretty fly" sound to it.

Someone could argue that Come Out and Play would fall into this category, but I think that song had a very different sound from these other three and was still a good punk rock/rock song.

But please no more "Pretty Fly" wanna be's.

Killboy
02-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Errr do you mean that there was another movie in which dexter was "playing"? because if you are talking about "Idle hands" that was made ages after beheaded was written, something like 2000, 2001....

^ 1999, I believe. 10+ years after that song was written. So, unless Dexter has the gift of foresight or something...

Oh, I see... sorry then.

No it wasn't idiot, it was re-recorded in 1999 for that movie.

Well, forgive me for not being as perfect as you.

beachbelle
02-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Personally I like the joke songs, but have to say I prefer the others. Perhaps the joke songs should be saved as the extra tracks or hidden tracks at the end of the album? Or on EPs? Either/any way I would still buy Offspring albums (not that I'm biased or anything lol).

oooOOOh I'm such a fence sitter! :p

K1llboy Powerhead
02-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Joke songs are fun! :D

"So spare me the details, if you don't mind ...."

malibu43
02-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Joke songs are fun! :D

"So spare me the details, if you don't mind ...."

Actually, "Spare Me the Details" is the only Joke song since Americana that I actually liked. I don't know why though... Maybe because it wasn't all gimickie with lots of samples and such.

DirtyYeso
03-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Actually, "Spare Me the Details" is the only Joke song since Americana that I actually liked. I don't know why though... Maybe because it wasn't all gimickie with lots of samples and such.

Yes me too, they kept it simple and it rocked. Dexter's voice sound really good with the acoustic guitar behind.

goonadie1day
03-22-2007, 10:09 PM
im praying the new offspring album doesnt have any joke songs

You forgot 'Why dont you get a Job'

I think this board was pretty pointless... i happen to like those songs alot... they are on my workout playlist... they get me pumped because they are so fucking upbeat...

i need new workout music... so stfu.

I hope they have 2 on the new album... why? To spite you... and add around 10 minutes to my work out...

football conditioning starts soon... so meh... i realize football will here before the album is realesed... im just saying tho!

SeanZombie
03-22-2007, 10:18 PM
I wish the new album will be like Smash/Ixnay

even though my fav cd is Ignition, It would be good to go back to those types of songs.

goonadie1day
03-22-2007, 10:31 PM
I wish the new album will be like Smash/Ixnay

even though my fav cd is Ignition, It would be good to go back to those types of songs.

I kind of agree! I LOVE IXNAY!

Iamstupid
03-23-2007, 05:09 AM
I wish/hope the album will be like The Offspring want it to be and not like the fans want it to be.

goonadie1day
03-23-2007, 08:22 AM
I wish/hope the album will be like The Offspring want it to be and not like the fans want it to be.

Well... this is how it is... the album is for the fans... so they are goona do what they want... but its for the fans... XD

Sinister
03-23-2007, 08:50 AM
http://gallery.mithril.ca/albums/forum_pics/grammar_time.thumb.jpg
The short form of "going to" is "gonna", not "goona".

On a more on-topic note, joke songs are okay as long as they're not packed together.

Iamstupid
03-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Well... this is how it is... the album is for the fans... so they are goona do what they want... but its for the fans... XD

Hopefully you're kidding ;)

RoxnRollBassist
03-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I really enjoy there joke songs. There fun and put a smile to my face. I mean, as long as the whole albulm isnt joke songs, but yeah i like em.

goonadie1day
03-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Hopefully you're kidding ;)

Idono what i was trying to convey earlier... i was sleepy...

*sorrY*

http://gallery.mithril.ca/albums/forum_pics/grammar_time.thumb.jpg

On a more on-topic note, joke songs are okay as long as they're not packed together.

Read the name... its always goona be 'goona' for me. Not that gonna is prpoer english though either. Its a friggin chat board im more interested in talking then typing everything in the correct forms...
MMK MMK?!

ZagmenO
03-23-2007, 03:26 PM
(Annoyingly overdone "Grammar time" image. Seriously, what the fuck?

I agree. Splinter was too short for the joke songs to be far enough apart. If this album is a good length, like 50 mins. to an hour, and they have 1 or 2 joke/rap/pop songs they wanna do, they can spread them out and still have the songs containing the "Offspring charm" as I like to call it.

F@ BANKZ
03-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Well said, joke songs should be add-ons, not substitutes for songs they're not quite sure of.

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-24-2007, 06:25 AM

"Why don't you do something with your life and stop being so lame"
These "joke songs" you speak of aren't that annoying. I wouldn't consider the songs you listed even joke songs. And I think by joke you mean punk..

Goodnight everyone! *waves*

rabidgerbats
03-31-2007, 08:56 PM
well I apoligize for stateing my opinion, but i should of known I'd get flamed for saying something negative about the offspring, but all my problem with the songs I metioned is that after the success of pretty fly for a white guy, it seems like thier try to reduplicate that success, and it seems to me that their catering to the main stream, and thats not very punk in my opinion, and once agian I apoligize for pissing anyone off, but really why does it matter, its one thing to say I'm wrong, its another thing to insult me, and if you have a problem with me on a personal level, I dont know, I guess you can go fuck yourself