PDA

View Full Version : Pan's Labyrinth

- -Lauren- -
02-24-2007, 09:34 PM
(but first known as El Laberinto del Fauno)

I saw this movie today, and I was blown away. Oh. My. God. As of now, it is nominated for six academy awards including Best Foreign Film, Best Cinematography, and for Makeup.

Wow. Just wow. I left the theater wanting to watch it again. Yes, it's in Spanish and (over here) with English subtitles. People may think that since it's in a different language, it's not worth watching. But that is where they are wrong because this is one of the most AMAZING movies I have ever seen. Not to mention it is highly critically acclaimed as being a wonderful film.

Basic Plotline? Too hard to explain. But I'll try.
Set in 1944 Spain, Ofelia and her pregnant mother move to the mother's new husband's military post. Off exploring, Ofelia finds an old labyrinth and goes all the way into the depths. There she meets the mythological faun, who tells her she is a legendary lost princess of the underworld. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong, I missed the first two explanitory minutes getting popcorn) In order to gain her immortality, she must accomplish three difficult tasks before the next full moon. These tasks include a fig tree and a giant frog, a baby-eating monster, and an innocent sacrifice.
On the other storyline, the rebels are fighting the husband's army. There is some double-agency going on, and lots of death.

However, the two plotlines weave together with harmony (and death), so everything is easy to track.

If you go see this movie, you will not be disappointed. Trust me, I plan on seeing it again next week.

(In the U.S. this movie is rated "R" for graphic violence and language.)

Lodat225
02-24-2007, 09:38 PM
This was an awesome movie. It was so original, and the creatures were amazing. Damn. This was one of the best movies i've seen in these past years.

Edit: Yeah, the plot was awesome too.

ninthlayer
02-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Fact: People with horrible taste in cinema will list Pan's Labyrinth in their top ten to seem diverse.

eliezer_iero
02-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Fact: People with horrible taste in cinema will list Pan's Labyrinth in their top ten to seem diverse.

Come on, is not that bad. I mean, it wouldn't fit in my top 10 but it's a worth watching movie, specially because is made in Mexico and it may offer something different than a Hollywood movie.

ninthlayer
02-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Worth watching for what, the fact that it lacked in any of the real fantastic moments? The fact that the violence involved in it was excessive and ridiculous? The fact that the ending was fucking retarded?

Really, I would like to know.

eliezer_iero
02-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Worth watching for what, the fact that it lacked in any of the real fantastic moments? The fact that the violence involved in it was excessive and ridiculous? The fact that the ending was fucking retarded?

Really, I would like to know.

Because it's the first latin-american production that reaches a certain technique level to show interesting special effects and photography that doesn't look like pixeled deers on a Japanesse thriller Hollywood imitation.
Come on, what's so wrong about gore? And don't get me wrong, I wouldn't classify this movie as a 4-star movie, perhaps three out of 5.

Things are not always black or white, sometimes they're gray or colorful.

ninthlayer
02-24-2007, 11:04 PM
So I'm supposed to accept a sub par movie just because it was made by a bunch of spics? No thanks. I mean, the girl that played Ofelia was good and all, but the film isn't worth blowing a load over like the faux movie buffs are doing.

And it wasn't the gore. It was the fact that the shit was absurd.

eliezer_iero
02-24-2007, 11:11 PM
So I'm supposed to accept a sub par movie just because it was made by a bunch of spics? No thanks. I mean, the girl that played Ofelia was good and all, but the film isn't worth blowing a load over like the faux movie buffs are doing.

And it wasn't the gore. It was the fact that the shit was absurd.

I'm agree, there was no need for too much blood and flesh being shown on the screen. But I've seen worst things on the news.
And I'm not saying you should accept it just because it was made by a bunch of spics like me, I never even suggested that. I said it -may- offer something different just because it comes from a total different culture than the usual stuff that gets played in North-American and probably in UK movie theathers.

ninthlayer
02-24-2007, 11:13 PM
The only thing the film offered that was different than anything else in theatres was the fact that it was in Spanish. Yes, I'm being extremely negative. I'm only being this way because seeing this movie get its dick sucked the fuck off in its mediocrity causes me physical pain.

eliezer_iero
02-24-2007, 11:18 PM
The only thing the film offered that was different than anything else in theatres was the fact that it was in Spanish.

Even 1 feature makes difference, no matter it's singular nature. :p
I think the movie by itself is kinda different, it has an original script, not so well-known but still some of them good actors, interesting and original special effects and mostly, it changes the typical movies Mexico used to do like Como Agua Para Chocolate, Amores Perros or any of that Gael García crap.

ninthlayer
02-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Really? Because it seemed like the Chronicles of Narnia plus a hispanic cast and minus the factors that made the series good. The film is advertised as being fantastic and "a dark fairy tale". The fantasy elements make up about 7% of the actual movie and are rushed and not compelling in the slightest.

Notice I haven't said dick about the visuals. They were decent. Nothing amazing, but decent.

eliezer_iero
02-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Really? Because it seemed like the Chronicles of Narnia plus a hispanic cast and minus the factors that made the series good. The film is advertised as being fantastic and "a dark fairy tale". The fantasy elements make up about 7% of the actual movie and are rushed and not compelling in the slightest.

Notice I haven't said dick about the visuals. They were decent. Nothing amazing, but decent.

I guess the movie it's, so far, the best attempt that it has be done with the tools people get in LatinAmerica, and considering the lack of tools and resources... I'd congratulate the director and tell him to keep working.
I'd resume the whole movie with your statement for the visuals, it's nothing amazing, but decent.

Venom Symbiote
02-24-2007, 11:49 PM
The movie is supposedly pretty awesome.

I haven't seen it (not even sure if it's released here yet), but I'll probably check it out eventually, even on DVD if I don't catch it in the cinema. Cool that you like it, Lauren. Del Toro's a great director, I loved Hellboy. That movie received bad reviews, and the effects were kind of B-grade, but the guy knows his movies. Sweet.

Not to mention Doug is a kickass actor. Can't wait to see what he does with the Silver Surfer.

ninthlayer
02-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Uh, Guillermo del Toro also directed Hellboy. The guy is no stranger to special effects.

eliezer_iero
02-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Uh, Guillermo del Toro also directed Hellboy. The guy is no stranger to special effects.

I'm not sure right now but I think also Sin City is from Del Toro.

ninthlayer
02-25-2007, 12:10 AM
No, Sin City is actually bearable. It was directed by Robert Rodriguez.

eliezer_iero
02-25-2007, 12:16 AM
No, Sin City is actually bearable. It was directed by Robert Rodriguez.

My bad! :o

Endymion
02-25-2007, 01:18 AM
pan's labyrinth was ok. not even close to be worth raving about, but i don't feel like i wasted two hours of my life either.

Venom Symbiote
02-25-2007, 03:14 AM
Sin City was just "bearable"?

Fuck, Sin City was one of the better movies of this entire decade.

ninthlayer
02-25-2007, 03:41 AM
Decent movie? Yes.
Do I own it? Yes.
Did I watch it today? Yes.
Do I want to watch it again anytime soon? No.
One of the best films of the last decade? No.

H1T_That
02-25-2007, 05:59 AM
Off exploring, Ofelia finds an old labyrinth and goes all the way into the depths. There she meets the mythological faun, who tells her she is a legendary lost princess of the underworld. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong, I missed the first two explanitory minutes getting popcorn) In order to gain her immortality, she must accomplish three difficult tasks before the next full moon. These tasks include a fig tree and a giant frog, a baby-eating monster, and an innocent sacrifice.

This sounds like a terrible plotline.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-25-2007, 12:06 PM
I saw it last night. I wasn't overly impressed. The plotline really, really is pretty terrible. I guess it could have been good if not for that irreconciliable failing.

eliezer_iero
02-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Is a big mistake indeed to generate too much expectation from a regular movie.
They're promoting it as the big shit when I'd say it's just good.

Vera
02-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I found it a pretty powerful piece of film making, but the violence was indeed a bit too much. Not something I think I'll ever rewatch.

I hope to see more of the child actress when she grows up, though. Damn good acting for someone her age.

Betty
02-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Pretty much agree with Sean, Jon, Ryan, and anybody else who said something along those lines. I mean, there ARE good movies out there if you don't just watch all of the horrible popular ones in the theatres. Not like I'm anywhere near a legitimate critic, but I try and mostly watch movies that offer something a little different in the first place.

Wrote about it last night in the movie thread so I'm glad that there is general agreement and it's not just me. Decent movie and worth the time to watch. Cool effects. Neat parts. Disappointing plot. Super retarded ending. Definitely didn't go anywhere deep enough or even logical enough with either plotline. (I take Neverending Story for fantasy ANY day). I like excessive gore so that part was cool with me. But things like being stabbed numerous times in the back with twisting and proceeding to sew up your mouth (awesome) and be perfectly fine are a little farfetched. I also wasn't that impressed with the girl, but that's just because I always find stupid characters annoying, be they a twelve year old girl, or thirty year old woman. "I just wanted to eat one grape." "Fuck you stupid kid, you knew you weren't supposed to eat it." Or whenever the faun dude was talking to her, she'd kinda stare blankly at the wall or something and it didn't seem like she was listening, and that was annoying too. Anyway... I think it'll end up in my "overrated" category, depending how much hype it gets.