PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Remastered

F@ BANKZ
02-25-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't know if this point has been adressed before but is it possible that Ignition can be remastered in the same way that Mission From God was? It's just that album in my newly formed opinion is Ignition is, in fact, the best album and it's hugely popular among fans.

I think if it could be done it should be done, songs like Forever And A Day, Nothing From Something and Kick Him When He's down could be done alot of credit. You?

BIG Nicky
02-25-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't see why they couldn't do it. It would be pretty sweet, I think. :)

The-Offspring-RuLe
02-25-2007, 01:46 PM
I agree, it would be good, but why remaster somethng that sounded good anyway..dont mess with the classics i say.

F@ BANKZ
02-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Well, it wouldn't damage the classics at all, just i think it would be great to have the option.

edit to the-offspring-rule: The admin said once if you want your username saying contact an admin and they can help, don't know how you'd contact him but...

Grabbal
02-25-2007, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't mind..

Stranger With Candy
02-25-2007, 03:10 PM
That would be pretty stupid. I hate when bands do that. It seems like they just are to lazy to write a new album and just record an older one to make more money. Its a lame idea.

ZagmenO
02-25-2007, 05:26 PM
If they did that, I wouldn't buy the album. It would be the same as the original Ignition but with better quality. Sure, a lot of people like remastered stuff but the diehard fans would like the raw sound of Ignition better. Plus, they already redid a bunch of their old work. I.E. Beheaded, Dirty Magic, etc. Also, I don't think MFG was remastered because they didn't really put it out 'til '05.

Venom Symbiote
02-25-2007, 08:22 PM
That's retarded.

Why would they want to re-master it anyway? Half the charm is in its indie production.

And they didn't choose to re-master "Mission From God" anyway. Epitaph did, Captain Buttfuck.

EDIT: I must have been drunk or some shit when posting this. Fuck. Spelling mistakes and referring to Epitaph instead as "Columbia". Pure shittery.

zacsta
02-25-2007, 09:34 PM
yeh, it would be pretty crap having it re-mastered, cos half the reason people like those older albums is cos they dont have that proffesional production sound to it, and more of a raw sound.
the 99' beheaded is shit, its just not the same.

Little_Miss_1565
02-25-2007, 09:54 PM
I think a lot of the charm of Ignition is that the way it was mixed and mastered results in a sound that they hadn't had on a release before and haven't had since. A re-release would be kind of silly because it's never gone out of print, but sillier things have happened.

Venom Symbiote
02-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Really? I think Thom's production on Smash is very similar to Ignition, same style anyway. But there was definitely a shift from Self-Titled to Ignition and Smash to Ixnay.

What's fundamentally different between the Ignition/Smash mixing and mastering? :confused:

Jakebert
02-26-2007, 04:50 AM
Smash sounds a little brighter and cleaner. Ignition had this almost murkey, grungey feel to it because of the way it was produced. Smash sounds more like a straight forward punk album in terms of production.

Anyway, as far as remastering goes, I don't think it needs it. The album sounds loud enough to be listened to well, and the things that they would fix through remastering are things that help give it it's charm. Plus, remastered albums usually are just a gimmick by whatever record company that they're on to bring in more sales for big artists.

Little_Miss_1565
02-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Also the bass has a lot of high-end to it and is up pretty high in the mix. Very high in comparison to every other album.

theoffspringignite
02-26-2007, 03:07 PM
that would be awesome if they re-mastered ignition, it could definitely use it, and i believe they DID remaster Mission From God because if you compare that to the regular Ignition recordings it sounds much louder brighter and cleaner, no?

Ninty Man
02-26-2007, 03:19 PM
The crash cymbals almost can't be heard on the album... I would buy it if they properly record it

Venom Symbiote
02-26-2007, 04:51 PM
and i believe they DID remaster Mission From God because if you compare that to the regular Ignition recordings it sounds much louder brighter and cleaner, no?

No, you fucking whoreburger son of a Winnie The Pooh-blowing nutsack. Why don't you twats ever listen? Huh? Explain that to me, knob-jockey. Why?

Fuuuck. "Mission From God" was re-mastered, yes, but not by the band. Shitty fucking Tellytubbies on toast. You utter goomba.

The track was re-mastered by Epitaph and released on a compilation (Punk'O'Rama...10 or something?) with their other big bands. The band itself never deemed the song good enough to release, so left it off the album back in 1992. Epitaph came along 15 years later and thought to themselves "hmm, we own this, let's re-master it for shits & giggles".

Turd-monkey.

[/vents]

Bazza
02-26-2007, 05:41 PM
^ Who cares, Mission From God is fucking awesome.

It would be interesting to hear a remastered version of Ignition, I bet it wouldn't take much effort to have a go. However, I probably wouldn't pay good money for it. Anyways re-mastering old vinyls to CDs happens all the time, maybe in the future they'll be remastering CDs to whatever crazy format we'll be using then.

German Andres
02-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Also the bass has a lot of high-end to it and is up pretty high in the mix. Very high in comparison to every other album.

Yeah, and that`s cool!
Less production and mixing=more punk sound

Little_Miss_1565
02-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Yeah, and that`s cool!
Less production and mixing=more punk sound

Sure, but that's not the case with what I just said.

German Andres
02-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Sure, but that's not the case with what I just said.

I know, the second sentence is my opinion

HeadAroundU
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Fuck No!!!

joey1234
02-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I think you guys are mixing things...... remastering has nothing to do with re-recording or remixing, it is about taking the original master tape and make it sound better with help from digital technology that wasn t available back in 1992. Keep in mind that a good remaster should not change the original sound, just make it better (take noise out, fix tape drop-outs.... those kind of things). Epitaph has remastered some Bad Religion old albums, so I wouldn t be surprised if they did the same with Ignition since it is on the same label. And one more thing about Mission From God..... this song wasn t finished until 2005.... all the parts were recorded and they didn t even got to the mixing stage, which only happened because someone at Epitaph must have found those tapes somewhere in the archives or something. So it was not only mastered in 2005 but also mixed for the first time at this point. Also I would like to say that if an album from The Offspring needs remastering, that would be Smash... it sounds like a demo tape..... just my opinion. :)

Grabbal
02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
. Also I would like to say that if an album from The Offspring needs remastering, that would be Smash... it sounds like a demo tape..... just my opinion. :)

You're not saying it sucks do you??

joey1234
02-27-2007, 01:31 PM
No..... the songs are great, but the production or the mastering is really bad.

Grabbal
02-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Not really...

ZagmenO
02-27-2007, 02:07 PM

The production and mastering in Smash is better than in Ignition.

F@ BANKZ
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Definately, Ignition is really messed up at parts, smash doesn't sound much different to any of the later albums to me.

DeAtHsTaR
02-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Does anyone else think that self-titled actually has better recording quality than Ignition?? The vocals are much more defined.

HeadAroundU
02-27-2007, 05:36 PM
I think you guys are mixing things...... remastering has nothing to do with re-recording or remixing, it is about taking the original master tape and make it sound better with help from digital technology that wasn t available back in 1992. Keep in mind that a good remaster should not change the original sound, just make it better (take noise out, fix tape drop-outs.... those kind of things). Epitaph has remastered some Bad Religion old albums, so I wouldn t be surprised if they did the same with Ignition since it is on the same label. And one more thing about Mission From God..... this song wasn t finished until 2005.... all the parts were recorded and they didn t even got to the mixing stage, which only happened because someone at Epitaph must have found those tapes somewhere in the archives or something. So it was not only mastered in 2005 but also mixed for the first time at this point. Also I would like to say that if an album from The Offspring needs remastering, that would be Smash... it sounds like a demo tape..... just my opinion. :)
Still, FUCK NO!!!

Ninty Man
02-27-2007, 09:12 PM
In fact... Conspiracy sounds too low sometimes.. or I'm getting def

Venom Symbiote
02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Not really related to production, but I don't think I'll ever understand all the hatred towards Co1 as an album. It's not their best, but take out "Original Prankster" and "Want You Bad", and I fucking love that record. I'd probably rank it third best.

German Andres
02-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Does anyone else think that self-titled actually has better recording quality than Ignition?? The vocals are much more defined.

Yep, that`s right. Just imagine, if the self-titled (which most of the songs are played by 2 guitars, with distorsion and very loud) would have been recorded in the same quality as Ignition, it`d sound terrible (the bass wouldn`t be noticed, as well as the rithm guitar).
But in Ignition, beeing that the songs are mostly played with one guitar, it doesn`t affect much. And notice that the bass has a strangely very loud volume comparared with all the other albums from The Offspring. Man, I love Ignition!!!!!! Bah, I love every album....

Ryder1234
02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
woah i had a dream were i was listening to the radio, and the guy said "now, from the offspring's pretty pop pink princess rarity and bside cd, mission from god!!!" and the only thing that wasnt f'd was mission from god actually sounded normal

German Andres
03-01-2007, 10:31 AM
woah i had a dream were i was listening to the radio, and the guy said "now, from the offspring's pretty pop pink princess rarity and bside cd, mission from god!!!" and the only thing that wasnt f'd was mission from god actually sounded normal

You sure must be inhaling something...share it!

RageAndLov
03-01-2007, 01:00 PM

that's why smash is so great! it's because of the raw and rough sound. just take come out and play as an example: the riff is really awsome because u can hear they picking on the strings

Grabbal
03-01-2007, 01:34 PM
i could not agree more!! But I'm not saying it would have been bad with better quality either..