PDA

View Full Version : Dublin

Nina
02-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm going to Dublin on Wednesday. I wont stay there for long and wont be able to experience the nightlife.

Can anybody recommend cute/nice/awesome cafés in the center? Or any place that's worth seeing?
Also, do they have TopShop in Dublin? And is it worth looking for one? What other stores can you recommend?

please/thanks!

Nina
02-26-2007, 10:24 AM
So, what does unaffordable mean? :( a little more expensive than h&m's most expensive items or more like ESPRIT?
I wont have much money with me at all! But maybe I should consider doing that.

Tizzalicious
02-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Uuuuh...I don't know hos much ESPRIT is, I never go there, but it's much more than H&M. Check the website maybe. www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk, they also have a webshop, so you can see how much it it. I

f you don't have much money topshop will be too expensive too though. Then Primark will be perfect though! I think it's called The Penneys in Ireland, go here: www.primark.co.uk :)

Nina
02-26-2007, 10:30 AM
oh man their stuff is amazing.
Thanks for the links!

Tizzalicious
02-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Whose? Primark's?

wheelchairman
02-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Urban Outfitters is priced like H&M....times ten.

Vera
02-26-2007, 11:52 AM
A Dublinese friend o'mine loves a shoe store called Schuh. I myself didn't really shop much in Dublin, but Trinity College area had some nice shops, O'Connell's Street, hmm, on the north side of Liffey there was this shopping mall.. I can't remember any names, ARGH. Sorry, this isn't really helping, is it?

EDIT: It was alongside Abbey Street. Arnott's! Or Jervis. Probably Jervis. It had Schuh.

Nina
02-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks Sanni! I'll keep those names in mind.
"Schuh" made me laugh.
And can you recommend any good sweet lil food places?

Oh & Tizz I meant Urban. h8@them for being pricy tho.

F@ BANKZ
02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Buildings are for losers, just go around talking to random people, that's what i did. They all have cool accents so you don't get bored or anything.

Vera
02-26-2007, 12:39 PM
We mostly ate at pubs. :D Pub lunches were tasty and exotic for my Finnish taste but maybe not so for your German one. They were mostly stew type things with potatoes, veggies, gravy.

Then I had a Subway once. :P & We ate once at some slightly fancier Italian place whose name I cannot recall. Again, of no help here. But maybe check out some travel sites geared for young people? The same area where Jervis was located had some nice eating places and one chocolate shop I meant to visit but forgot. :/ I also bought some CD's at the same area.

But yeah, pub lunches were nice. IMO anyway.

Tizzalicious
02-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Oooh, I've been to Schuh in London, I liked it a lot, they had some cool shoes :)

Lars
02-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Before you get to Dublin can you hand deliver your letter to me?

Nina
02-27-2007, 01:49 AM
lololol too late, I already sent it out ;P (shouldnt it be there by now?)

Lars
02-27-2007, 05:49 AM
This morning. So, Ireland uses Euros :p

Nina
02-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I know. I was totally like "wtf??!" when I heard it. I missed that event.

How is the weather currently like over there? And is it comparable to the weather in Dublin? Also, I still dunno where to go :[ And I cant figure out the primark site at all.

whitelady
02-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Hey,

I'm from dublin so I may be able to give you some hints on what to do...

Personally i'd stay away from Pennys (primark) - they're cheap for a reason... after one wash the clothes are all out of shape and ruined.
For the best quality and value for money go to H & M. if you're not there for long I would advise you to go to the Dundrum shopping centre. Its out of the city but literally has everything under one roof. Theres Topshop, H & M, Zara, Marks & Spencers, River Island, Pennys (just in case you want to check it out!!) , River Island (which is my favourite and prices are around the same as Topshop) - theres also a Schuh, but go to Korkys (its about 2 doors away and cheaper than schuh with way nicer stuff) - theres a shop called bershka - its well cheap and got some wicked clothes and underwear. Theres BT2 that sells all the designer clothes. Theres loads of accessories shops too that can be pretty cheap i.e. Claires and Accessorise - theres Tommy Hilfiger, Lacoste, Furla. Oh, and if you cant find topshop its actually inside another store called "house of fraser" - quite decieving!!

Shit, I dont even know why I went through all that - heres a link to it www.dundrum.ie

Anyway, to get there there is a tram system in dublin (about time - its only a few years old) - but it will drop you pretty much inside the centre and takes about 15 minutes on the tram from the city centre. Just get to "stephens green" - ask anyone where it is, us dub's can be pretty friendly!! dont worry about getting on the wrong tram as thats the starting point at stephens green and theres only one tram going in one direction. they go every 10 minutes and every 5 minutes at peak times. when u get off the tram at the stop called "dundrum" pretty much just follow the crowd and yo'll get there.

For cafes and such like, stick to grafton street, its the main street on the southside of the city (the nice side!!) this is also close to stephens green. on any of the side streets off grafton street (which is also a predestranised street) you will find loads of cafes and pubs - mostly pubs!!) they wont be hard to find.

Now, you may want to venture over to the northside, thats up to you - just ask anyone how to get to o'connell bridge and that will bring you from north to south of the city. I'm from teh south side and generally stay on that side. although there is nothing wrong with the north side i just stick to what I know and I have everything i need on the south!!!

Anyway, i hope this helps, my hands are sore from typing. I just noticed your post as i was browsing this site and registered to answer your question!! If you have anymore questions just email me emmahartmann@gmail.com!!

Have fun in ireland!! :) :) :)

Nina
02-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Hey!
Thanks for the help! I have a couple questions that are difficult to answer by looking online, so I thought maybe you could help me here.

1) Can one use the train from the Dublin airport to the center of the city? It may sound like a stupid question but on ryanair.com it says you can only go by bus and taxi.

2) Do you know how much it costs to have a one-day-tramticket? We want to use it all day while we're there.

3) What is the weather like over there right now?

4) Is driving by taxi as cheap as everyone says?

We're only staying day from 10am to 5pm.

And we'll try to go to the Dundrum Center and Grafton Street! I convinced my bf. haha.

wheelchairman
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
In Ireland they say "how's the crack?", and the reply is "the crack was good." It's not drug related, but I haven't a fucking clue what it means.

Also in Dublin it's customary to greet strangers with "You vee eff man".

0r4ng3
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Perhaps the "crack" means "crack of dawn". Like, they're really talking about sleep.

"How did you sleep?"
"I slept fine."

I mean, it's a stretch of an explanation, but "how's the crack?" makes little sense to begin with.

wheelchairman
02-27-2007, 11:47 AM
I have the suspicion that "crack" is spelled "craigh", but to be honest I have no idea.

mrconeman
02-27-2007, 03:36 PM
In Ireland they say "how's the crack?", and the reply is "the crack was good." It's not drug related, but I haven't a fucking clue what it means.

Also in Dublin it's customary to greet strangers with "You vee eff man".

Close. It's "Whats the craic?". Foreigners never get that right, I wouldn't worry. "What's the story?" Is a very common one from Dubliners.
Pity you won't see the night life there, Nina. It's awesome. I spent a week there with a bunch of friends over Christmas, I could have recommended alot of bars. We didn't really do any shopping, so I can't help there.

Nina
03-01-2007, 03:44 AM
Dublin was AMAZING.

mrconeman
03-01-2007, 04:46 AM
Heres a question.
Did you notice a dramatic increase in the amount of sirens you heard?
Me and friends counted over 100 the week when we were there.
Personally I think it's cobblestone related injury, I almost fell every few steps.

Great place though, the city lights were amazing in December.

Tizzalicious
03-01-2007, 05:03 AM
Pictures? Stories? Anythings?

Lars
03-01-2007, 05:55 AM
What was the weather like? Here it was a lot of heavy rain most of the day.

Llamas
03-01-2007, 11:30 AM
TopShop is always worth searching for! Kinda pricey though :(

Go to Primark, I think they have one, I've never been to one, but everyone always gets the BEST stuff at Primark, and it's freakishly cheap. It'll be the first place I go to when I land in London for sure!

Oh, and Urban Outfitters! :( Which is totally unafordable, at least in Copenhagen it is, but go anyway, because it's <3

We have Urban Outfitters in the US; it's one of my favorite stores, and it's relatively affordable. I love their clothes, though.

I've been to the H&Ms here a few times, and they all seem quite decent. Hopefully I will start making money soon and will be able to go clothes shopping!

When are you going to London, Tizz?

And have fun in Ireland, Nina!

Tizzalicious
03-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm going in April (20th until the 23th) to...see Hanson!

Llamas
03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
CAN I COME?????????????????

PS do you have AIM?

Tizzalicious
03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
I would have loved that, but I already made plans with a bunch of other girls, and it would make things very complicated =/

Maybe we can meet up when they tour more of Europe? I'm sure they will sometime soon, they can't only do the UK.

I have AIM --> BubbleTizz, I'm not on much though :P