PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista - Help!

The Talking Pie
02-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Okay, so I upgraded to Vista today. But I've ran into problems.

First, a little about my PC: 'Vista Capable', 1.6GHz, 512MB. Above minimum requirements, and I'm also running Home Basic, so no fancy Aero stuff intruding on my memory.

What's amazing, is that I didn't have any hardware or software incompatibilities. Everything works exactly as it should.

However, everything also takes forever. Explorer can take thirty seconds to open a folder, the speed of my USB sockets seems to have been slaughtered, and on top of it all, folder icons seem to show up as and when they want.

Has anyone with Vista encountered any of these problems before or knows what I might do about them?

The Talking Pie
02-27-2007, 01:19 PM
I done some research, and it appears that a lot of people have had this problem... however, everything except for the missing icons has somehow resolved itself.

eliezer_iero
02-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I haven't installed Vista yet but I know there's a way to turn off animations and some visual effects for the OS. Try that bro.

EDIT: I also heard that a lot of people goes back to XP.
Kinda reminds me when XP came out and it didn't became a good OS until SPII.

HeadAroundU
02-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Back to XP.

JohnnyNemesis
02-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Windowned.

All About Eve
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Windowned.
Oh yes. Ooooh yes.

Zeall
02-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm using a Vista on the PC i'm currently at, and it's basically the same spec but 1 GB RAM, and it's running home premium, maybe think about delving into the old pocket for an upgrade to 1GB RAM?

sKratch
02-27-2007, 09:43 PM
512MB RAM is really low. I would also suggest upgrading.

Endymion
02-27-2007, 10:33 PM
i <3 my two gigs of ram.

and since i'm not using windows, it goes to good use.

making pretty pictures!

The Talking Pie
02-28-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm fine running on 512... as I said, I only have (and only want) Home Basic, so since most of those issues have gone away I'm perfectly okay, performance-wise.

However, my icons are still fucked up... the Start Menu folders just show a blank file icon, as do the all the My Computer icons except for the first hard and CD drives.

eliezer_iero
02-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Did you try a non-destructive re-install?

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2007, 03:28 AM
Don't use Vista. That's the best advice for now.

Zeall
02-28-2007, 03:47 AM
Don't use Vista. That's the best advice for now.

TBH now i have learned how to use it, IMHO it is a better operating system to use, it just takes a while getting used to it (i still haven't got the hang of the Event Viewer yet)

the best thing i would suggest is just to play around with it, start at the basic like looking in VIEW in a folder and such, or maybe even display settings?

is there any chance we could get a screenshot of what it looks like now?

sKratch
02-28-2007, 06:10 AM
I'm fine running on 512...

However, my icons are still fucked up... the Start Menu folders just show a blank file icon, as do the all the My Computer icons except for the first hard and CD drives.

It doesn't seem like you're running fine, and I blame the RAM.

Zeall
02-28-2007, 06:35 AM
It doesn't seem like you're running fine, and I blame the RAM.

concurred'd

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2007, 06:38 AM
TBH now i have learned how to use it, IMHO it is a better operating system to use, it just takes a while getting used to it (i still haven't got the hang of the Event Viewer yet)

It really should be a better operating system, but it's not just a matter of getting used to it. That's not particularly hard. It's a matter of working out all the bugs, which can be a nightmare. Better to wait a while yet if you ask me.

My housemate has Vista and has had an incredible amount of problems with it, as I smugly predicted he would have. But when it works it's pretty cool I guess.

I agree that Dave might find more RAM to be beneficial.

Zeall
02-28-2007, 06:53 AM
My housemate has Vista and has had an incredible amount of problems with it, as I smugly predicted he would have.

hahaha, my friend was the same, but i have had hardly any problems with it so far, so he's a bit miffed that he hasn't had a chance to take the piss yet

it's good that no one has started a flame war, it's nice to see people just putting their point across instead of going on a big rant saying why Vista/XP is better than XP/Vista

All i can add now, Mr pie, is that the decision is yours, if you're not happy, switch back to XP

Sinister
02-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Zeall, your sig is factually incorrect, especially when taking in consideration the fact new Macs can run Vista.

wheelchairman
02-28-2007, 07:47 AM
No it's very correct. The actual hardware is irrelevant, I've used macs before, and they're fine. But their owners are all insufferable buttclowns.

Sinister
02-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Oh, I get it now. Misunderstanding cleared, resume whining about how Vista currently sucks.

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Zeall, your sig is factually incorrect

I was confused by this, until I realized his sig no longer says "Zeall's a fag".

Zeall
02-28-2007, 08:32 AM
I was confused by this, until I realized his sig no longer says "Zeall's a fag".

Hardy har har, cheeky git :D

The Talking Pie
02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
I agree that Dave might find more RAM to be beneficial.

Beneficial, definitely. But seriously guys, I'm running Home Basic and only use Firefox and OpenOffice; 512mb is plenty.

Anyway, methinks that I've found out what the problem is. I uninstalled StyleXP after upgrading, so I'm thinking that it's reset all of the icon settings in the registry to their previous state (that is, XP). And of course, there are completely different icon libraries in the two versions.

So, I may very well be fucked. True, 'tis but an eyesore, but I'm vain.

Endymion
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm running Home Basic and only use Firefox and OpenOffice; 512mb should be plenty, but isn't because microsoft doesn't know how to design an operating system.

fix' d

The Talking Pie
02-28-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree; Vista and Vista-version MS apps do hog RAM. However, my point stands.

Sunny
02-28-2007, 09:02 PM
endy speaks the truth.

and i'm outta here before i start making windows jokes. =p

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2007, 01:26 AM
So, I may very well be fucked.

You can't reinstall?

The Talking Pie
03-01-2007, 05:22 AM
I done an upgrade, so I for the sake of some missing icons I'm not going to go through the bother of backing up all my stuff, finding/installing all of my programs and making Windows exactly how I want it.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how I can force Windows to reconstruct all the shell icon references in the registry. Perhaps when people have finished having a laugh at the OS...

Although, here's another question that may actually receive an answer... does anyone (Endy, perhaps?) know a Linux distro that I can easily install on a pendrive (doesn't have to be Live, just a plain installation would do) that has OpenOffice, Firefox and a media player such as Juk?

Endymion
03-01-2007, 07:07 AM
slax w/ modules for those apps would probably work well.

The Talking Pie
03-01-2007, 07:11 AM
I've tried to use Slax with modules before, but I can't seem to get it to work. All of the modules fail on start-up. Which sucks, because I positively love Slax.

Sinister
03-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Okay, so I upgraded to Vista today.
I'm fairly sure the correct word for "went from bad to worse" is downgraded.

(yes, I read that somewhere else.)

Endymion
03-01-2007, 08:33 AM
I've tried to use Slax with modules before, but I can't seem to get it to work. All of the modules fail on start-up. Which sucks, because I positively love Slax.

did you insert them correctly?

about the icons... try removing stylexp or something.

The Talking Pie
03-01-2007, 09:42 AM
I've tried following instructions from various sources, and I've also used MySlaxCreator to do it automatically... maybe I'm just using modules that are incompatible with the version of Slax I'm running; the latest version doesn't recognise my monitor. If I had a mini/portable hard drive I'd just go with Fedora.

On the subject of StyleXP, I already have uninstalled it (as I obviously no longer need it), and I believe that it was the uninstaller restoring registry entries to their pre-StyleXP state that's messed the icons up. Oh well.