PDA

View Full Version : How do you sort your music on your computer?

Jojan
02-27-2007, 02:59 PM
How do you sort your music?

There are many variations, you know. I have folders for every band that I own a CD of or have more than 20 OGG files of. And if I have an album with the band I put the songs in that album, otherwise they're just put in the bandfolder. Compilations don't get any own maps.

And I am very careful with nameing the files correctly

C:\ ... \Musik\Bison - Kaliber.ogg
C:\ ... \Musik\Pennywise\City Is Burning.ogg
C:\ ... \Musik\NOFX\45 Or 46 Songs That Weren't Good Enough To Go On Our Other Records\See Her Pee.ogg

I own a compilations where Biosn - Kaliber is on.
I own Pennywise CD's but not with City Is Burning on.
I own the record 45 Or 46 Songs That Weren't Good Enough To Go On Our Other Records and the song See Her Pee is on that record.

But notice that I don't give two maps for the two diffrent CD's from 45 Or 46 Songs That Weren't Good Enough To Go On Our Other Records.

("Musik" is "Music" in Swedish)

Mannen som blev en gris
02-27-2007, 03:03 PM
maps

("Maps" is "Folders" in Swedish)

edit: no wait, it's not. That's mappar. Ok, "Maps" is "Folders" in Swenglish.

Oh, and I just have mine in separate folders for artists and then separate folders for albums. Like most people I guess. And then I have one folder for crap that I don't own on CD.

But I actually have pictures of the bands/artists in the little preview view thingy, so it's easier to find the crap.

eliezer_iero
02-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Usually C:\..\music\$Artist\$Album\->$Artist - $Song.mp3

But sometimes they get downloaded otherwise and I fix'em years after I got'em. I look for the files to download to be organized that way, anyway.

EDIT: $<- indicates variables

Amiralanal
02-28-2007, 01:14 AM
C:\Documents and Settings\Stefan\Skrivbord\Crapzor

This is where i store my music, but also movies, tv-series, games, programs ands other stuff. The music is sorted in folders for every artist/band.
Every band has subfolders containing albums and singles, but sometimes they are unsorted.

Anya82
02-28-2007, 09:55 AM
I use:

C:\My Documents\My Music\language or genre(when it's not rock or pop)\Artist(or genre when it's inside a language folder)

Zeall
02-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Oh, and I just have mine in separate folders for artists and then separate folders for albums. Like most people I guess.

i do this basically, although i'll have to sort out my "Unknown Artist" section soon (919 songs to work through manually, what a bastard)

Grabbal
02-28-2007, 10:00 AM
If I download music I put em on my Ipod and delete them after..

Endymion
02-28-2007, 10:21 AM
metadata ftw!

Tijs
02-28-2007, 10:28 AM
I put them on my USB drive:

H:\Audio\Artist\Song.mp3
H:\Audio\Artist\Album\1 - Song.mp3

Except for Offspring songs, they have their own special folder:

H:\The Offspring\Audio\Albums\Ignition\The Offspring - 1 - Session.mp3
H:\The Offspring\Audio\Covers\Artist - Song.mp3
H:\The Offspring\Audio\Live\Year\City (Date)\1 - Song.mp3
etc.

I'm also a big fan of Winamp's Advanced Title Formatting, using ID3v2 tags.
[%artist% - ][$num(%year%,4) - ][%album% - ][$num(%tracknumber%,2) - ]$if2(%title%,$filepart(%filename%))

Winamp displays it as followed:

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/2774/winampkv2.gif

Bazza
02-28-2007, 05:22 PM
I essentially have folders for artists and then album folders within those folders. Compilation albums go under "Various Artists" and non-album stuff goes else where on my external hard-drive. Then I have a folder called "to sort", no prizes for guessing what I've got to do with that lot. I'm really really obsessive with labelling my music, all the tags have to be perfect, something that's taken a long time (currently 12606 songs sorted, 5156 to sort!).

Duskygrin
03-01-2007, 02:53 PM
I have CDs.

For songs that I either don't have on CD or want to also have on my laptop, I dld them, put them in the folder "ma musique" in "mes documents". Sort them by artists. Not genre. Rachmaninov is next to Rita Hayworth.