PDA

View Full Version : how many aussies???

Dr.evil
02-27-2007, 05:13 PM
this is just out of curiosity. i want to know how many australians use this and what state they are in.

wheelchairman
02-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Oi did a dingo eat your baby?

Dr.evil
02-27-2007, 05:27 PM
no m8 im only 13

wish 1 woud eat mi dickhead brother tho

and i live in the city and hav onle seen dingos through a cage in a zoo so yea not like im gunna get eaten

Sin Studly
02-28-2007, 01:25 AM
G'day mate wanna throw another shrimp on the barbie? Mate, watch out for them dinky di true blue stingrays, mate. Bonza mate, pass the Fosters! Hoo-roo!

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2007, 02:05 AM
Idiot, Australians don't say "shrimp". If you're going to pretend to be Australian just to fuck with this guy at least make it a little more convincing.

Llamas
02-28-2007, 02:19 AM
I could be aussie if austria counted, plus it's way better ;) ... I'm gonna get one of those shirts here that say "no kangaroos in austria", just to confuse everyone in the US when I go back.

There is my boring contribution to a boring thread.

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2007, 02:21 AM

Whatever, it had potential.

Llamas
02-28-2007, 02:22 AM
Lies! But I miss you, sir. How is you been doing?

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2007, 02:24 AM
I was just thinking the same, but let's not be spammers. PM incoming.

Sin Studly
02-28-2007, 02:26 AM
Idiot, Australians don't say "shrimp". If you're going to pretend to be Australian just to fuck with this guy at least make it a little more convincing.

Fuck you asshole, I go to the Outback Steakhouse every month or two. I think I'd know a little bit more about Australia than you, fuckwit.

khaaaaan
02-28-2007, 03:15 AM
I could be aussie if austria counted, plus it's way better ;) ... I'm gonna get one of those shirts here that say "no kangaroos in austria", just to confuse everyone in the US when I go back.

When I was waiting for my transfer to Australia in Austria, I saw those shirts and was all ":("
What a horrible t-shirt. Doesn't make me smile or think LOOOOL! HOW CLEVER!!

the_GoDdEsS
02-28-2007, 03:36 AM

They have that? How's that funny?

Zeall
02-28-2007, 03:42 AM
They have that? How's that funny?

I believe it's a play on how the plebean masses read words wrong, or get confused between which country is which

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2007, 05:48 AM
The important part is where she said she'd take it back to America, where people know nothing of the world outside their continent. It's still not funny, but it makes sense.

Zeall
02-28-2007, 05:55 AM
The important part is where she said she'd take it back to America, where people know nothing of the world outside their continent. It's still not funny, but it makes sense.

see, that's humour, right there :D

Llamas
02-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Americans don't know what Austria is. Everyone I know repeatedly said, "When are you leaving for Australia?" or "....Germany?" Everyone says, "Oh you're going to Austria? Make sure you take pictures of the kangaroos!" Then you say, "Austria is not the same as Australia" and they become very confused until you say, "It's where the Sound of Music came from". Point is that I can't explain how annoying it is in the US with the ignorance and such. I know a lot of people who've seen the shirt in the US who seriously didn't know the difference between the countries and straight up didn't understand the shirt. That's the point. It's not supposed to be lol or clever. It's supposed to expose and make fun of ignorance. :)

HeadAroundU
02-28-2007, 12:58 PM
I like that idea. Make a better shirt, dumbos.

edit: *whoa 4,444*

wheelchairman
02-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Some might call it ignorance. But let's face it, Austria is a completely irrelevant country. It's like Germany only not as cool in every way.

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Austria is a completely irrelevant country. It's like Germany only not as cool in every way.

Right. And everyone should know exactly that much about it.

HeadAroundU
02-28-2007, 02:03 PM
on topic, yeah, how many Aussies?! I want to see every convict here. "Bash a pom day" is comming!

neocon58
02-28-2007, 10:31 PM

Austria: Hitler and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Australia: Steve Irwin

I guess we're even.

the_GoDdEsS
03-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Americans don't know what Austria is. Everyone I know repeatedly said, "When are you leaving for Australia?" or "....Germany?" Everyone says, "Oh you're going to Austria? Make sure you take pictures of the kangaroos!" Then you say, "Austria is not the same as Australia" and they become very confused until you say, "It's where the Sound of Music came from". Point is that I can't explain how annoying it is in the US with the ignorance and such. I know a lot of people who've seen the shirt in the US who seriously didn't know the difference between the countries and straight up didn't understand the shirt. That's the point. It's not supposed to be lol or clever. It's supposed to expose and make fun of ignorance. :)

Well yeah, it was not funny. But the people you described sound creepily dense. It's almost as if the term geography did not exist at schools.

wheelchairman
03-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Hardly. Americans are about as good at European Geography as Europeans are at North American geography. It's easily a matter of relevance. The only time you need to know about Austria is from the Sound of Music, which they all seemed to.

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2007, 03:26 AM
I'd wager most Europeans could tell you which countries make up the continent of North America.

I've met many US citizens who think Europe is a country.

It's not solely a matter of relevance, it's a matter of ignorance and arrogance.

the_GoDdEsS
03-01-2007, 03:44 AM
I'd wager most Europeans could tell you which countries make up the continent of North America.

Most definitely, the majority would know. Most people here know which countries are in both North and South America. It's considered trivial primary school knowledge where I grew up, that's why it's so hard for me to comprehend that kind of ignorance.

Llamas
03-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Well yeah, it was not funny. But the people you described sound creepily dense. It's almost as if the term geography did not exist at schools.

Americans learn about America. If you watch one of our news broadcasts, the ONLY international news is still about the US (Iraq, Cuba). Growing up and in high school, we learn US and Canadian geography. Maybe south america. I didn't know shit about Europe until I went to college, and the little bit I learned from my grandfather. People aren't dense... just really ignorant. As was I growing up.

Sin Studly
03-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Shut the fuck up about that stupid fucking t-shirt already.

calichix
03-01-2007, 11:35 AM
dude, speak for yourself, lil' mama. civilized people know geography. the kind of people who confuse austria with australia are the kind of people who hang out in wal-mart parking lots, have backyard septic tanks, and have sex with their relatives.

wheelchairman
03-01-2007, 11:44 AM

I've met many US citizens who think Europe is a country.

It's not solely a matter of relevance, it's a matter of ignorance and arrogance.

Oh Europeans can get Mexico, Canada and the States. But unless they're backpackers they really seem to forget everything else.

Arrogance perhaps, but I think it largely is a question of relevance. Europe is just irrelevant. Most folks will never visit Europe in their lifetime, so why care?

Whiplash
03-01-2007, 11:59 AM
this is just out of curiosity. i want to know how many australians use this and what state they are in.

To much....

Sin Studly
03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh Europeans can get Mexico, Canada and the States. But unless they're backpackers they really seem to forget everything else.

What else is there, apart from the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Cuba, and Greenland if it even counts?

HeadAroundU
03-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Most definitely, the majority would know. Most people here know which countries are in both North and South America. It's considered trivial primary school knowledge where I grew up, that's why it's so hard for me to comprehend that kind of ignorance.
I had to name all states of the USA at the test.

There are more than 50,
52,53?

wheelchairman
03-01-2007, 02:26 PM
There are 50...

A deck of cards has 52.

the_GoDdEsS
03-01-2007, 02:30 PM
I had to name all states of the USA at the test.

There are more than 50,
52,53?

Ha! I thought it was 52. Was that in high school too?

wheelchairman
03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Sounds like Slovak school standards are slightly higher. Danish geography classes last one year. And they end up learning pretty much nothing.

HeadAroundU
03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
I know that there is 50 stars on the flag but I had to name more than 50. What were these? any ideas?

No, not in high school. hmmm...I didn't have a geography in high school.

Lars
03-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Maybe you mean the territories as those extra ones?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorporated_territory#Classification_of_current_U .S._territories

the_GoDdEsS
03-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Sounds like Slovak school standards are slightly higher. Danish geography classes last one year. And they end up learning pretty much nothing.

Primary schools and high schools have a loaded curriculum here. For instance just in geography we had to know almost all countries in the world and their capitals, the bigger ones totally detailed with climate, highest mountains, import/export, rivers and...everything. I'm not sure if it's something that's been here since the regime or whatever but our system of education is actually quite good.

HAU, same thing here with the flag. But I do remember teachers telling us either 51 or 52.

Mannen som blev en gris
03-01-2007, 02:40 PM
I know that there is 50 stars on the flag but I had to name more than 50. What were these? any ideas?

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Because, in my school, all the students keep saying there's 52, except for me and my 2 friends. Hell, even the teachers aren't sure.

HeadAroundU
03-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I think that one of them is Washington, D.C..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_districts_and_territories#United_States

Llamas
03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I think it's because of the whole Puerto Rico commonwealth and maybe District of Columbia?

the_GoDdEsS
03-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Guess it must be some territories or something. Like Aussies have Capital territory which reminds me that our teachers were gonna lynch anybody who'd even dare mistake Sydney for being the capital.

wheelchairman
03-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Washington D.C. isn't a state though. :/ And neither are protectorates. But really that is quite excessively useless knowledge. Don't you end up forgetting most of it?

HeadAroundU
03-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Well, I wouldn't name them all now but when somebody says for example, Idaho, I know that it's in the country of unlimited opportunities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States
Territories:
51.American Samoa
52.Guam
53.Northern Mariana Islands
54.Puerto Rico
55.U.S. Virgin Islands

Not Shown:
District of Columbia

I'm quite sure that it was District of Columbia and some Islands.

the_GoDdEsS
03-01-2007, 03:30 PM
the country of unlimited opportunities.

Hahaha, that was so gay back then.

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Most folks will never visit Europe in their lifetime, so why care?

Because...because...they just should. To be worthwhile human beings they should care at least slightly about not being ridiculously ignorant. I don't care if the information is mostly useless to them, they should know it anyway.

wheelchairman
03-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Because...because...they just should. To be worthwhile human beings they should care at least slightly about not being ridiculously ignorant. I don't care if the information is mostly useless to them, they should know it anyway.

It's ignorant sure. But I don't upbraid Europeans for not knowing which coast New York is on (unless of course, they've been to New York.) You simply forget knowledge that you don't use, or take for granted.

In Denmark the state just instituted a "Citizenship Test." To test how much you know about Danish society. I scored a 37 out of 40, higher than a lot of Danes apparently. I took the test online in 5 minutes, and I certainly didn't study for it. Anyone will pick up things that are useful for them, and drop things that become useful. Am I an ignorant American or are Danes just dumb? It comes down to neither.

Personally some hick with a rural education from Kansas, I'll be happy that he doesn't walk around with some backasswards superstitions. The college educated types will probably eventually visit Europe, or at least pick something up.

But it's completely useless knowledge to the average American who simply can't afford to cross the atlantic. (or the pacific).

I guess my point is. I'm sick of American stereotyping. Europeans hold up Americans to the strangest standards, and then these same people wonder why Israel controls Jerusalem, "seeing as there are no jews in Jerusalem."

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2007, 04:45 PM
I guess my point is. I'm sick of American stereotyping.

I get your point. And I agree with you, when it's not accurate. I'm just sick of meeting moderately smart people who attended at least some college and aren't sure if Europe is a country, a continent, or both. I'm sick of appalling ignorance coming from people that should know better, because they've had every opportunity to learn. I know a woman with a masters degree who probably couldn't point to England on a map.

Of course, I've met a lot of ignorant non-Americans too. I'll admit it. But the ignorance does seem more prevalent and acceptable over here, and surprisingly apparent amongst college students.

Sin Studly
03-01-2007, 04:48 PM
I guess my point is. I'm sick of American stereotyping.

Everyone gets stereotyped, quit whining about it. You're acting like a Belgian Ganny.

And by the way, "people should know that Europe isn't a country" is hardly a "strange standard", unless you're talking about people in some shitfuck African civil-war nation.

wheelchairman
03-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I've never met any who thought that Europe was a country. I have met many though who have strange ideas about the powers of the EU. About as many as there are Danes who think that Africa is a country.

Llamas
03-01-2007, 04:58 PM
It's ignorant sure. But I don't upbraid Europeans for not knowing which coast New York is on (unless of course, they've been to New York.) You simply forget knowledge that you don't use, or take for granted.
Every European I've met so far knows fairly well where NY is. They know NY, Texas, Cali, Florida, and New Orleans for sure. Most know more than that.

Personally some hick with a rural education from Kansas, I'll be happy that he doesn't walk around with some backasswards superstitions. The college educated types will probably eventually visit Europe, or at least pick something up.
Yet 98% of the Americans I know are college educated, we don't live in a rural or hick area, and they still don't know what Austria is.

But it's completely useless knowledge to the average American who simply can't afford to cross the atlantic. (or the pacific).
There's more importance in knowing things about the world and its countries than just if you plan on going there. Trying to further one's understanding of how the world works and how people and places interact with each other is an important underlying foundation in many careers in life, especially when you live in a country with tons of immigrants from all over the world.

I guess my point is. I'm sick of American stereotyping. Europeans hold up Americans to the strangest standards, and then these same people wonder why Israel controls Jerusalem, "seeing as there are no jews in Jerusalem."

As already said, everyone gets stereotyped. And I've lived in the US all my life. I know that the stereotypes I make are sweeping and not true for all, but I've been in Europe for a month, I've met a couple hundred international students, and there's a clear pattern that the Americans (and the Canadian) seem to be the least informed.

wheelchairman
03-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Every European I've met so far knows fairly well where NY is. They know NY, Texas, Cali, Florida, and New Orleans for sure. Most know more than that.
Well in Denmark they know *of* those places. And they know where the West coast and the East coast is. But unless they are into hip hop, they can't give you further information.

Yet 98% of the Americans I know are college educated, we don't live in a rural or hick area, and they still don't know what Austria is.
Oh they might get confused, but as you said, if you mentioned sound of music it would ring a bell. I mean if most people know what Denmark is, they surely have at least heard of Austria. And most with the exception of 2 or 3 knew what Denmark was.

There's more importance in knowing things about the world and its countries than just if you plan on going there. Trying to further one's understanding of how the world works and how people and places interact with each other is an important underlying foundation in many careers in life, especially when you live in a country with tons of immigrants from all over the world.
No..there isn't. Not if you are never gonna leave. Not if your work is that of an insurance salesmen, a real estate agent. How often you gonna need to know about Austria when you're a plumber? The generation before us, they only go to Europe when they retire. There is little excuse for our generation. But most of the people I knew, knew to where I was moving. One idiot kid thought it was in Colorado, but he had a mental problem I think. Also, there's a Denmark, Colorado.

As already said, everyone gets stereotyped. And I've lived in the US all my life. I know that the stereotypes I make are sweeping and not true for all, but I've been in Europe for a month, I've met a couple hundred international students, and there's a clear pattern that the Americans (and the Canadian) seem to be the least informed.
I'm not talking about statements. I'm not talking about broad sweeping statements. That I could care less about. It's when it's more personal. When people just think they are smarter than you because you come from an American background, that bugs me. It's ridiculous, especially when they usually are dumber than I am. Not that I'm a genius, far from it :p, I just enjoy reading non-fiction.

Duskygrin
03-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Americans are really knowledgeable as far as their own geo is concerned, though. I remember mentioning I was in Athens & the guy thought I meant Athens, Georgia. Same thing happened with Paris, Texas. To be honest, I'm incapable of locating more than 10 French cities on the map. And rivers? yeah, quickly done as we say here. I forget the number of rivers anyway. But I admire Yanks for their knowledge of their own country, it being rather immense. I don't think it really matters if they are slightly ignorant with the world besides. It's not like the knowledge would make any difference to them.

Sin Studly
03-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Australian geography is easy, no matter how huge it is. Mainly because even though we're the size of the USA, there are only about 20 things here.

Mota Boy
03-02-2007, 09:51 AM
I think a lot of it's just Europeans caught up in believing their own importance and being miffed that they aren't treated as equals. Austria just flat-out isn't important on a global scale. The fact is, over the past half-century, America has damn near had a monopoly power, both political, economic and cultural. In terms of culture, we've exported far, far more than we've imported, and what we have imported we've tended to quickly assimilate and export all over again. Europeans may know of Kansas more than we know of Austria, but a ton of them have seen "The Wizard of Oz" or heard a snippet of the evolution debate emanating from there.

Economically, the EU is certainly a competitor, but the US has done more trade with Asia than Europe for nearly a decade and a half now. Part of this is my own sino-centric view, but I don't know of a single person studying a European language for anything more than their own edification, while I know numerous people my age learning Asian languages with a career in mind. Of COURSE Europeans know more about the US - our actions influence events on a global scale - look at some of the most important events going on right now - Afghanistan, Iraq and North Korea - in all of them the US is the most powerful outside factor, even North Korea, ringed by powerful China, Russia and Japan, was demanding two-party talks with us. Meanwhile, what's been going on with Europe? I can name some stories, but nothing immediately comes to mind that's swaying a global balance of power. (Granted, the US is in decline [and will almost certainly go through a similar process once China and India get their shit together], but we've been in decline since 1949, so what's new?)

Hell, you want to see a country REALLY ignorant about the outside world? Go to Asia. I couldn't find a Chinese college student who had even heard of Israel, much less had an opinion on the ethnic makeup of Jerusalem. The fact that Europeans know more about America than vice versa should be a given, the fact that they often act arrogant about it is unfortunate, but understandable. However, they should do so with an understanding that it hasn't been the nineteenth century for a long, long time now. Sure, Americans should know their history and geography in a perfect world, and I've been embarrassed by my own countrymen numerous times, but it's not entirely our fault that we aren't up to date on happenings across the pond.

Sin Studly
03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Meanwhile, what's been going on with Europe? I can name some stories, but nothing immediately comes to mind that's swaying a global balance of power.

How about the incoming face-off over the UN's resolution on Kosovo's autonomy, with Russia likely to use veto power to block autonomy, the Slavic EU states standing alongside the CIS, Western Europe whining like bitches about it, Albanians sobbing, Hungarians claiming that if Kosovo gets autonomy it'll be a foothold for autonomous Magyar settlements in Transylvania, Slovakia and Serbia, and Romania, Slovakia and Serbia swearing revenge if anything like that comes close to happening.

Unless you're talking about something along the lines of the magnitude of the USSR's collapse, in which case ; what's going on with America?

Duskygrin
03-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I think a lot of it's just Europeans caught up in believing their own importance and being miffed that they aren't treated as equals. The fact is, over the past half-century, America has damn near had a monopoly power, both political, economic and cultural.

- America is also internationally renowned for its junk culture & junk food. I'm not certain every country in the world would feel good about being the home country of McDo. Just a thought.

- Ignorant yanks (I have no idea what percentage they represent amongst the yank population, but judging by My Big Fat Greek Wed, when the uffish yank couple ask the greek chick if armenia is close to greece... yeah guess there are more ignorant yanks than one would have thunk) should know about europe not because its GDP is higher than that of america's but because Old Europe is home to the most magnificent culture. Real culture, not some half-century semblance of one.

- Boeing vs Airbus much? What the deuce do you mean by "monopoly"? You don't have it. Yes, american economy is more resilient than most europeans' countries, the cash machine works better, I'll grant you all that. But a monopoly? Where? When? How?

- I wonder who's being the arrogant schmuck, the one who knows the 50 states in america or the one who can't tell the diff between austria & australia.

Mota Boy
03-02-2007, 02:47 PM
How about the incoming face-off over the UN's resolution on Kosovo's autonomy...It's a bit interesting to us because we have what amounts to a permanent military presence in the region, and we're trying to force in Eastern European countries that are more US-friendly than their neighbors to the West, but ultimately we're talking about a country that, in term of realist politics, has little to no power. It's a regional issue at best, slightly more significant than Quebec's motions towards independence.

Unless you're talking about something along the lines of the magnitude of the USSR's collapse, in which case ; what's going on with America?Well, what's getting the most press is our two simultaneous wars, though our tense relationship with North Korea makes the news every so often.

Dusk - I love being the home country of Mickey D's. I never eat there, but even though it's "junk" culture it's ubiquitous culture. Believe you me, you'll find plenty of Americans that are just as snobbish about junk culture over here - it's the fact that other countries get snobbish about our junk culture rather than their own. "Junk" implies something that's watered down so as to be distributed to the masses, and if someone's got to exploit that (very profitable) niche, why not a local company. McDonald's is also a great example of America's ability to adapt its culture and products to sell to the rest of the world, my favorite example being of McDonald's' in the Middle East that offer special Ramadan break-fast (literally) meals, and even distribute the occasional anti-American literature when they feel a need to distance themselves from their home country. Finally, as I've mentioned, many Americans have moved on from fast food - the fastest growing segment in the American eatery is "fast casual", a type of food better tasting and healthier than fast food that's probably already establishing a beachhead abroad.

-The fact that you judge Americans by the movies we export is fucking hilarious, and especially ironic that you use it as an example of our "ignorance". And congrats on your history.

-Most Americans don't care about Boeing the same way y'all do Airbus, if that's what you were referencing. By "monopoly" I meant on power, as in we've historically (again, since WWII) been able to impose our will. In fact, until the seventies the rest of the world's currencies were pegged to the dollar. Again, my point isn't that we continue to hold such a monopoly (though we still control a great degree of many aspects of power), it's that historically we've been incredibly dominant, to the point that it's understandable that most Europeans know a good bit about us.

-Which two arrogant schmucks are you talking about? I know both... or are these two schmucks hypothetical? If so I really don't get your point in the least.

JohnnyNemesis
03-02-2007, 03:01 PM
One thing I've learned from this thread is that Maria should stick to praising effeminate men and not talk about things of relevance.

Americans don't know what Austria is. Everyone I know repeatedly said, "When are you leaving for Australia?" or "....Germany?"

As has been established, everyone you know must be an idiot :(

Llamas
03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
FUCKING A DUDE.
Me: you should tell Bonnie that I met another new roommate today, and that he's really cute, and that he's blonde
Ex-boyfriend: but does he like strudel?
Me: I don't know yet. Why?
Ex: "get 'er done, what are you waiting for" - bonnie
Me: hahahahahaha
Ex: well, i all germans like strudel
Me: how did you know he's German?
Ex: uhh
Ex: cause you're in germany?
Me: a) I'm not in Germany

God damn it! Morons.

JohnnyNemesis
03-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Christ, how is that guy even alive? How has someone not killed him yet?

Sin Studly
03-02-2007, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=Mota Boy;974504]It's a bit interesting to us because we have what amounts to a permanent military presence in the region, and we're trying to force in Eastern European countries that are more US-friendly than their neighbors to the West, but ultimately we're talking about a country that, in term of realist politics, has little to no power. It's a regional issue at best, slightly more significant than Quebec's motions towards independence./QUOTE]

Except that it's pitting CIS against EU, and the member states of both are showing disloyalty along ethnic lines, with the most aloof Central Asian states of the CIS siding with Kosovo's plea for independence, and the Slavic states of the EU calling for Russia to veto any talk of independence from Serbia. Quebecois independence is hardly gonna set CIS and EU against each other.

It's also stirring up the already-crazy ethnic tensions between the Slavs, Magyars, Szekely and Vlachs, which is always a good thing for a border scuffle.

Paint_It_Black
03-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Hell, you want to see a country REALLY ignorant about the outside world? Go to Asia.

Asia isn't a country :rolleyes:

Mota Boy
03-02-2007, 09:13 PM
It is, however, a continent filled with countries, a great many of which are inward-looking. I'll grant you that the phrasing is somewhat awkward, but not incorrect.

Mota Boy
03-02-2007, 09:35 PM
FUCKING A DUDE.I like how, when put in lower case, that exclamation becomes a verb-object.

And Justin, an independent Quebec would create a potentially-hostile nation directly adjacent to us. I know that sounds laughable, but just think how apeshit we went over Cuba. Obviously this isn't the Cold War, but a new country opening up on our border is more important to us than another West-Russia standoff at this point. We (US & NATO) have been bumping into each other for years - we backed opposing candidates in fiercely-contested national elections, stole allies from their traditional sphere of influence and even went to war with one of their friends in the region. It's newsworthy, granted, but how important is it in terms of the international balance of power (I'm talking in realist terms here as that seems the most appropriate)? It seems more symbolic than anything else.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Justin, no one in the EU even knows that's going on. It hasn't made a blip in the papers at least. I doubt it's the big stand off you make it out to be.

Sin Studly
03-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Justin, no one in the EU even knows that's going on. It hasn't made a blip in the papers at least. I doubt it's the big stand off you make it out to be.

That's because they look at the East with a western perspective. Movements for Catalan and Flemish seperatism, for instance, can be easily ignored. When things like that happen in the East, the West assumes it'll be the same ; a bunch of pussies whining and whining and whining, then they blink and miss an ethnic cleansing.

Paint_It_Black
03-03-2007, 08:06 AM
I'll grant you that the phrasing is somewhat awkward, but not incorrect.

I think this has to be the most unnecessary defense ever.

Mota Boy
03-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Well, I think that you're unnecessarily gay.

HeadAroundU
03-03-2007, 08:42 AM
No, he is not.

Paint_It_Black
03-03-2007, 06:20 PM

Touche, sir. Touche.

And, er, thanks HAU?

HeadAroundU
03-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Sure thing, America vs. Europe. They know shit about geography. :rolleyes: