PDA

View Full Version : What the fucking fuck?

Mota Boy
02-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Tonight, on my one night off, I went out to dinner with a friend, to a restaurant I've been meaning to try on the other side of town. They were filming a movie inside so it was unusually crowded for a Tuesday, but the food and live music were worth the hassle. As I exited I heard my name screamed out. I whirled around and didn't recognize the figure moving towards me. I don't remember knowing any tall, skinny bob-headed girls like that from college...

Holy shit. My eyes bugged.

I looked to her right and they bugged some more. It was fucking Jacob and Natasha.

To recap: the last time I met the two I was Buenos Aires for the summer, nearly four years ago. She's from Cali, he's from Boston and they went to college in New York. I tried facebooking them a while back, but I never expected to see them again. Especially not in my home town. And yet, here they are. Of all the slum diners in all the cities in all the world, and she just happens to recognize me from four years ago? This has happened before - I've randomly run into acquaintances in the Caribbean (I'd been on the island one hour when a familiar face stuck her head out of a car), in New York (in a bar on the night of the record snowfall) and in Beijing (she had dated my friend in high school and was one of just seventy kids in my program), but in my own backyard? My mind is blown.

Have you had any wild, coincidental meetings like this? Now that I think of it, it's happened to me fairly often. In fact, I just met a girl from my hometown when she and her boyfriend walked into the restaurant at which I work on Valentine's Day (she was so old school I didn't even remember her name at first). I ran into a guy with whom I worked in Birmingham on the streets of New Orleans during Mardi Gras last year. I bumped into one of my cousin's friends on an elevator in D.C. This recent escapade is one of the more ridiculous because it's my own hometown, but I guess it's not that terribly unique. So how 'bout yo'selves? Had any improbably meetings of your own?

wheelchairman
02-28-2007, 05:32 AM
This isn't nearly as cool as yours. Because the guy lives in Copenhagen.

But I knew this guy named Little Alex from a place I used to hang out years ago. Anyways about a month ago I walked into a bar and asked a guy if this seat was taken, he said "No it's free, Per."

Turns out he was Little Alex. Kinda freaked me out a bit. Actually I've met strange people from that place over the past two months. I saw Big Alex at Nordhavn station two months ago, after he left the military due to a back injury. And I met Rasta Boy on the train to the airport (where he works).

None of these people live nor work near where I live, and Copenhagen has a pretty active city center, so seeing someone you know after years seems kinda odd. But I like it.

mrconeman
02-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Well, a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in two years showed up and surprised me at my 18th birthday, that was well cool, for me anyway, not really a good story.

What I was really posting to say was I'm afraid of this ever happening to me, I'm really not great with names and faces, I'd probably forget the person and feel like a 'tard for not remembering them.

wheelchairman
02-28-2007, 06:15 AM
It's not so bad MrConeman, I'm terrible with names and faces as well. You'll usually recognize someone you know though, it's just a problem of recognzing people you don't know as well, or at least that's my problem.

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2007, 06:17 AM
My parents live in England and I currently live in Kansas. One day I was chatting on the phone with them, and the next day I bumped into them in the airport!

Does it spoil it if I knew they were coming?

Sinister
02-28-2007, 06:35 AM
I met one of my grade school "crushes" again at a high school big band concert. All the humiliation I should have felt because of the shit I had done to get her attention (but didn't feel because I didn't know I should have) struck me in the single moment she confirmed she was indeed who I thought; good thing the room was darkish because I was so fucking red I looked like a stop sign, or at least that's how it felt.

And I also met someone from college at my workplace.

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2007, 06:42 AM
All the humiliation I should have felt because of the shit I had done to get her attention (but didn't feel because I didn't know I should have) struck me in the single moment she confirmed she was indeed who I thought

I really like how you put that.

wheelchairman
02-28-2007, 06:44 AM
I don't get it, why feel embarrassed about what you did in grade school?

Sinister
02-28-2007, 06:48 AM
I was (more of) a fucking moron back then. I remembered most things I had done to get the girl to look at me, and realized I should have been embarrassed by doing them, but hadn't been, so all the embarrassment sort of hit me right in the face at that moment instead.

But yeah, everyone's fucking retarded in grade school. Heck, I consider what I did in high school to be mostly as bad.

mrconeman
03-03-2007, 05:50 PM
K. So, what the fucking fuck?

The events of today were made even more weird in that I was thinking of this thread directly after it happened, and how I was just expressing how crap it would be if this happened to me.
Grim.

So I go into the CD store today and I'm browsing around with a friend, we split up to go look for our separate stuff, I check for a Maiden album I'd been looking for, find it, see it's reasonably priced, and make my way to the cashier.
Theres a big queue and I'm waiting for like five minutes, and my friend joins behind me after also having found what he was looking for.
Anyway to the point, the queue is moving on, and I'm getting weird vibes from the girl who's serving everyone, odd moments of eye-contact, and a strange feeling of "do I know her?".

So I get to her, hand over the CD, and shes all "hey, man." In that sort of mono-tone alternative chick kind of way, and I sort of think nothing of it, and "Hey" back at her, shes doing her cashier thing and I'm waiting to hand over my money when she throws out "so, still at school then?". Fuck. I know this girl, but I don't fucking know this girl.

Naturally I don't admit this, and say "yeah, going well, and yourself?" Honestly I can't even remember what she said back due to thinking "...who the hell" over and over again in my head. I handed my money, got my CD's, said later, and gtfo'd.

I personally blame this thread and weird karma or something.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-04-2007, 06:06 AM
The only strange thing llike that that ever happened to me was..

I was at a college, for an open day, and I met a very nice girl. Chatted for a bit, started dating a few days later. She met the family, and it turns out she went to my primary school, do reading with my Mom and was very mean to my brother.

It's alright, turned out she was a bitch anyway.

H1T_That
03-04-2007, 08:17 AM
I was at a festival last year, and amongst a crowd of 80,000 people i bumped into a girl i knew from MSN and an ex best friends from 10 years ago. Fucking weired.

Betty
03-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Hmmm... I was volunteering with a music festival thing this summer here in Victoria, BC, and one of the coordinator dudes was a guy I worked with at Food Basics back in Sault Ste. Marie, ON, a small little city miles and miles away.

Last year we had a random guy move in with us in our townhouse. There were three of us there and our landlady chose the fourth guy. He was from Montreal and it turns out he knew one of my friends who he would be living with because they had met one night in Toronto.

Nothing astounding, I guess.

Oh, last night my friends recognized some huge dude with dreads as one of the leading actors in Stargate Atlantis (I don't watch the show) at the bar we were going to. He was rolling a joint.

Rag Doll
03-04-2007, 03:39 PM
i dont usually run into random people. i can only think of one weird story (Michelle's roommate story reminded me of it).

I was talking to one of my friends at work about driving to south jersey (she's from down there, prolly like 80miles away). she asked where i was going (turns out it was near her house) and then why. i told her i was going to see a friend (Josh/nieh). turns out she went to high school with him 4 years earlier. yup.