PDA

View Full Version : Laptop: YEAH!

Jakebert
03-01-2007, 03:00 PM
I just got teh internetz set up on my new laptop. Don't ask any technical questions because I suck more at computers than Lodat sucks at life.

wheelchairman
03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
You and me man, we suck at computers and laptops. *high five*

the_GoDdEsS
03-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I just got teh internetz set up on my new laptop. Don't ask any technical questions because I suck more at computers than Lodat sucks at life.

How exactly is a laptop useful to you? Unless people are travelling and stuff. I was contemplating getting one last year but I went for a new computer since I figured a laptop would have been useless to me, would get stolen and would have definitely cost more.

sKratch
03-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I find that people who don't know much about computers tend to love laptops for some reason...

0r4ng3
03-01-2007, 03:42 PM
My guess is that these are the same people that hate consoles but love their Game Boys.

Wow. What a horrible, horrible analogy.

Llamas
03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I love having a laptop because it uses much less electricity, it doesn't occupy as much room (especially now that I have so little), I'm moving and traveling, and I don't have to sit at my desk to use it (I like to do homework and watch movies lying in bed). Other than price, I can't think of any reason I would prefer to have a desktop.

Jakebert
03-01-2007, 04:24 PM
How exactly is a laptop useful to you? Unless people are travelling and stuff. I was contemplating getting one last year but I went for a new computer since I figured a laptop would have been useless to me, would get stolen and would have definitely cost more.

I got mine to use at college, I'm just setting it up at home so I can get used to the keyboard and everything. That and the fact that I don't feel like letting it sit until August to use it.

the_GoDdEsS
03-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Yeah, must be useful for students. Is it typical to go to lectures with laptops? Is kinda still super rare here but not as rare at private unis apparently.

Jakebert
03-01-2007, 04:29 PM
I think it depends on the school. I dunno if I'll take mine to class or not, because I may be distracted if I have a computer in front of me. Especially since the college I'm going to has wireless internet.

wheelchairman
03-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I'd say a good tenth come with laptops to lectures. I do bring my laptop to lectures as well. I just haven't been to any lectures this semester.

Bazza
03-01-2007, 04:34 PM
I'd say a good tenth come with laptops to lectures. I do bring my laptop to lectures as well. I just haven't been to any lectures this semester.

If someone came to my lectures with a laptop everyone would probably look at them weirdly, no one does it here.

I got a laptop whilst at university mainly because it's easy to take home if I go back for a weekend. Apart from that I would have got a desktop because laptops really don't do half the things I would want them to do (especially as I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a "decent" laptop).

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2007, 05:03 PM
I wish I could afford one. I'd love to have the mobility.

Llamas
03-01-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm going to scope out the scene during the first week of class to see if people bring laptops to class here. If so, I will bring mine. All my classes will be in German, so it would help a lot to be able to type everything in Word instead of trying to write things down. No wireless here, though, which would be great for the use of online dictionaries. Ah well.

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Hmm, Bri, why does it matter if everyone else does it? You should do what you want and not give a fuck if it's good enough for them.

Lodat225
03-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Yeah, 'cause having people dislike me on forums makes my life worthless.

:(

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2007, 05:24 PM
You got the cause and effect backwards.

Llamas
03-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Hmm, Bri, why does it matter if everyone else does it? You should do what you want and not give a fuck if it's good enough for them.

lol. Really, just because it would be rude to bring something that could be potentially distracting for other people to class. I dunno, plus professors might also have a problem with it. Better to be safe?

Bazza
03-01-2007, 05:43 PM
lol. Really, just because it would be rude to bring something that could be potentially distracting for other people to class. I dunno, plus professors might also have a problem with it. Better to be safe?

One guy once came into our lecture with a laptop, and it was a moment of lets all stare at him and see what he's doing. So I guess it would distract others. Just see what they do. What are austrian uni's like? I have a friend who's studied in Russia and Italy, and there are so many differences between the two.

Llamas
03-01-2007, 05:49 PM
One guy once came into our lecture with a laptop, and it was a moment of lets all stare at him and see what he's doing. So I guess it would distract others. Just see what they do. What are austrian uni's like? I have a friend who's studied in Russia and Italy, and there are so many differences between the two.

I start classes on monday, so I'll let you know then. :) All I've had so far was a language immersion course, which doesn't really count. It was really nice, though. What are they like in England?

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2007, 05:54 PM
What are they like in England?

Like America, except all the guys have bad haircuts.

Bazza
03-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Hmm, difficult to explain about England. Essentially there's no hugely structured timetable. i.e. you could have a lecture at 9, then a 5 hour gap, then 3 hours of labs (I do chemistry), yet on other days you might have 4/5 hours solid followed by an hour break and a few more hours of lectures. Whereas (from what I've heard) in Russia they have lectures form 9 till 4 (like school), however in Italy it's a case of turn up if you want to.

JohnnyNemesis
03-01-2007, 05:58 PM
My guess is that these are the same people that hate consoles but love their Game Boys.

Wow. What a horrible, horrible analogy.

I agree, that was horrible.

And yeah, as a student, I love my laptop; writing papers due in less than an hour while hungover on a train ride back to campus is something every student should experience.

Duskygrin
03-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Laptops are a requisite now at my school. I'm mastering in finance though, guess it would be different if I studied laponic. Without my laptop I'd feel stranded. I couldn't do half of the things I'm asked to do at school (mainly because it uses wireless...).

Sinister
03-02-2007, 08:09 AM
There are a few laptops here and there at my college and I think bringing mine (if I had one!) could help me be more organized. so I'm considering it more and more seriously.

Mota Boy
03-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Laptops rock. I wrote many a paper/balance sheet in coffee houses in my time. Also, for a man on the go like myself, it's indispensable. I'd like to see you desktop snobs haul your computers across the Pacific and back, or write your posts while reclined atop a futon.

Vera
03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
I type this from my own laptop omg lolololololz.

It also feels more personal than any comp I've ever been on before. Damn shared comps. I don't let anybody else touch my laptop.

Whiplash
03-02-2007, 09:08 AM
I have that same feeling with my laptop.;)

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I didn't think this warrented a new thread, so I figured I'd ask it here:

The laptop has a CD burner in it, which my desktop doesn't, but I have a bunch of full albums on it that I would like burnt to a CD. Is there any way that I can get those songs from the desktop through the laptop without downloading them from one computer to the other? I have a feeling this is a common sense answer, but remember, I am not good with computers on anything more than the every day functions.

0r4ng3
03-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Um...floppy disks? I'm assuming that computers still have those.

Or you could e-mail songs, or use Savefile, but I guess that counts as downloading.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm guessing USB keys are out of the question?

Betty
03-03-2007, 02:52 PM
The easiest ways would be USB key or if you have any sort of Internet connection that you could make a network out of. So, I guess a router. (I am a super computer genius).

JohnnyNemesis
03-03-2007, 02:55 PM
I often connect my iBook to other iBooks or Powerbooks or Macbooks or whatever and the process is shockingly easy. I just connect through USB or FireWire, hold the 'T' key whie turning the computers on, and my iBook shows up as a drive on the other computer's screen.

Can you do some shit like that?

Where's Endy and/or sKratch? :(

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Um...floppy disks? I'm assuming that computers still have those.

Or you could e-mail songs, or use Savefile, but I guess that counts as downloading.

Floppy disks aren't big enough, plus my floppy drive on my desktop is screwed up.

I'm guessing USB keys are out of the question?

I don't know anything about computers, so I don't know anything about USB keys either. How do they work/how much do they cost?

EDIT: Is a USB key the same thing as a flash drive? Because if so, I was pondering getting one for this purpose, but I wasn't sure if it was enough to put music on.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 03:14 PM
They are just handy "floppy" disks, but they hold more space. They use USB ports, your laptop probably has a few, but your desktop might not, better hope it does. The USB keys come in sizes of 128, 256, 512, etc. etc. MBs. Most mp3 players run from the usb port as well. You could just use your mp3 player if you have one.

Betty
03-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Oh, you ACTUALLY don't know anything about computers? Do you know what I do when I try to sound semi-informed? Look on the Internet. Google knows pretty much anything, and you avoid sounding totally ignorant. But seriously, USB keys function on flash (?) memory and have anywhere from 256 MBs to... I don't know what the standard size is anymore... 2+ gigs... and they're pretty cheap now. $30 for a smallish one? I don't know, I'm not gonna bother looking up prices. And you plug it into your USB port and upload data to it in seconds/minutes. An old desktop might have slower USB 1 ports, but that's still acceptable.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 03:18 PM
They are just handy "floppy" disks, but they hold more space. They use USB ports, your laptop probably has a few, but your desktop might not, better hope it does. The USB keys come in sizes of 128, 256, 512, etc. etc. MBs. Most mp3 players run from the usb port as well. You could just use your mp3 player if you have one.

Thanks. I thought about using iTunes, but I don't like using it if there's a better way to do things.

Oh, you ACTUALLY don't know anything about computers? Do you know what I do when I try to sound semi-informed? Look on the Internet. Google knows pretty much anything, and you avoid sounding totally ignorant. But seriously, USB keys function on flash (?) memory and have anywhere from 256 MBs to... I don't know what the standard size is anymore... 2+ gigs... and they're pretty cheap now. $30 for a smallish one? I don't know, I'm not gonna bother looking up prices. And you plug it into your USB port and upload data to it in seconds/minutes. An old desktop might have slower USB 1 ports, but that's still acceptable.

Yeah, I'm an honest person when it comes to my lack of computer knowledge. www.computerhope.com helps me out sometimes, but I figured I'd ask people here first since you guys might be able to explain things to me a little better.

JohnnyNemesis
03-03-2007, 03:55 PM
I think everyone should have a USB Flash Drive of some sort because they're just so fucking handy. And they come in capacity of up to 8GB! (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=379)

I have a 128MB one, but if you can afford it, I'd suggest you get something like 1 or 2GB...sounds like it'd be the easiest way to do this.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Awesome. Thanks for that link. Are those prices around what they'd be at other places?

DeAtHsTaR
03-03-2007, 04:14 PM
True as it may be, that's uncalled for.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Actually it's healthy for this forum.

Betty
03-03-2007, 04:51 PM
USB keys come on sale pretty often for half price or a significant discount so if you shop around or wait a few weeks you'll probably be able to get a good deal.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Alright, cool. Thanks for your help.

fischer
03-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I have only laptop. But I use it only like home computer. Sometimes I took it to the university but it wasn't convenient because my lap is too large and has a big wieght. Then my battery was damaged and I started to use it only at home. I bought a big monitor and convenient keyboard. Now my lap isn't worse than any desktop.

HeadAroundU
03-04-2007, 10:31 AM
I didn't think this warrented a new thread, so I figured I'd ask it here:

The laptop has a CD burner in it, which my desktop doesn't, but I have a bunch of full albums on it that I would like burnt to a CD. Is there any way that I can get those songs from the desktop through the laptop without downloading them from one computer to the other? I have a feeling this is a common sense answer, but remember, I am not good with computers on anything more than the every day functions.
The only way how to do it without downloading would be that that you'll connect your desktop hardisk to laptop OR cd burner to desktop, but I'm not sure if it's even possible, if it is, then probably it would be very complicated for you. I don't have experience with laptops. So it's a fairly hard question.

Solutions:
-buy USB key
-buy mp3 player
-buy cd burner, no, buy dvd burner to desktop.

ZagmenO
03-04-2007, 01:22 PM
I just got a lap top recently, and it's working pretty great, except for my stupid router. :mad: