PDA

View Full Version : Are the Offspring still relevant?

MOTO13
03-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Maybe it's just me, but do The Offspring really have anything to contribute any longer to modern music? Their songs on the last 2 albums have been disappointing at best and they have rested on the laurals of Smash for 13+ years now. I have a feeling we have seen the best they have to offer, which is still better than 90% of the other bands out there. It just seems that their music in the last 3 albums actually is getting lamer and far less egdey. I mean, "Pretty Fly", "Original Prankster" and "Hit That" are absolutely horrible songs and borderline on just being stupid. They are a far cry from the Smash and earlier days.

Stranger With Candy
03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Tru punx to da extreeeeeme!!!

Lightning Rod
03-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Good Question ...
My Point is
did they really need to come in main stream?
I think all music and group's who come from underground to mainstream
they just become to popy artists and the music lost the
sense and interests .....of a lot of people who
listen this music at the begining......
I explain
the group must record more popular and genius hits for public
or they gone.....i hope you understand me......
I listen the Offspring cause i like it
i think that they not popy pop punk or punk rock at this moment they closer to punk...
cause they not at the main stream....
And happy to say don't go at the mainstrem for glory
this thing "KILL" your music and you as musician....
I Hope you understood....

I mean, "Pretty Fly", "Original Prankster" and "Hit That" are absolutely horrible songs and borderline on just being stupid. They are a far cry from the Smash and earlier days.

[this singles actually more popular for people who don't "listen the punk a lot"]

the most general thing is
not to be "relevant"......
be yourself and play your own music
....don't look at other people this is
your difference from them
It MEANS COME AS YOU ARE
The Offspring continue in the same spirit

kitfoo
03-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I smell a troll.........

Seriously...why bother coming in here to tell us how much you hate The Offspring? Go whine somewhere else. :rolleyes:

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
03-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah man, who fucking cares.. It's not like their intentions as a band was to make it big and be on the mainstream. If it was they'd have probably thought about quitting after Ignition.

And sure, they've made it on the mainstream a few times in the last few albums, but that doesn't mean their aim for every album is to be on the charts. They make each album with the intentions of doing the very best of what they love doing.

They don't need any more songs to hit charts or go popular, because they're already well known enough, and with the right advertising (which i'm sure won't be hard... word of mouth, T.V, Radio... etc) People will hear that Offspring have a new album and If they liked the previous music then they'll buy the album (or download if they're assholes).

Lightning Rod
03-02-2007, 06:16 PM
I Love The Offspring You stupidssssssssssssss

I don't piss off The Offspring I just answer for this guy
say do what you do....I don't
give a shit about Offspring i just say that they closer to punk and it's cool
cause other ones are suck like Green Day or other old punk groups
[yeah green day suck cause since Dookie they become more popy and
stupid....but Dookie genius]
I Just answer on question did really offspring relevant at this time...and all
if you don't undertstand
just read my messege again.]

Just one thing i happy that the Offspring not so popular as they can
cause if they don't go in main stream they stay more punker and cool
that thing what i say in my posts......now you understand???????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????

German Andres
03-02-2007, 06:31 PM
I think that The Offspring hasn`t showed the best. And what if they already have? Who cares? Thay have been in the mainstrain...but was that good? They don`t want to be famous (I think), they just do what they love, making good music whatever the people says! I`ll listen to them forever, even if everyone says they are poppy or a similar shit!:D
The fact that they didn`t became comercial as Green Day proves that they don`t give a shit about the media or the assholes who listen to the shit that appears on MTV.

Lightning Rod
03-02-2007, 06:33 PM
that's a half of words what i want to say!!!!

German Andres
03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
that's a half of words what i want say!!!!

Well, it seems to me that we think the same then.

Emily_offspring_fan
03-02-2007, 08:11 PM
They became commercial no one can deny that. We just love their music and that's all.

Gayman
03-02-2007, 08:48 PM
If the music is good, I will listen to it.

nameless
03-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Maybe it's just me, but do The Offspring really have anything to contribute any longer to modern music? Their songs on the last 2 albums have been disappointing at best and they have rested on the laurals of Smash for 13+ years now. I have a feeling we have seen the best they have to offer, which is still better than 90% of the other bands out there. It just seems that their music in the last 3 albums actually is getting lamer and far less egdey. I mean, "Pretty Fly", "Original Prankster" and "Hit That" are absolutely horrible songs and borderline on just being stupid. They are a far cry from the Smash and earlier days.

i dont think they really contribute to music much. when they first hit the mainstream, along with with green day they bought with them what id consider different style of music that many had never heard before, although it had always been about. they have influenced many bands but i dont think they will go down in history as being all time greats the way a band like metallica have.

they will just continue writing their own music and that suits them, rather than bands like nofx, pennywise and anti flag who promote loads of messages in their songs.

im not really bothered whether they have huge commercial success with their next album, or what people consider their contribution to music to be, just in general i like their style of music!

bouncingcoles
03-02-2007, 10:55 PM
i dont care, they still have some great songs and hopefully this next album will be better then splinter

Marco
03-03-2007, 01:43 AM
I like every single Offspring song. I don't care if they're in the mainstream or not, I care about their music, which has become more creative in my opinion. And please don't post things written down as if it was a song...

F@ BANKZ
03-03-2007, 02:42 AM
They don't need to "contribute" anything to modern music. So long as they make good music people will continue to listen to them and enjoy it.

Tonza
03-03-2007, 05:41 AM
If they wouldn't have jumped into celebrity after Smash, I'd say that there were at most 20 persons writing on these boards.
Most of us would've had never heard about this great band if they still were some "underground punk group".
So I thinks it's more good than bad in the famous of Offspring's

Enix Belmont
03-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Original prankster and hit that kick ass, are you crazy? They're two of my favorite offspring songs, along with a few others, like Want you so Bad, Cant get my head around you, all I want, come out and play, Genocide, No breaks, and a few others I cant think of right now. It's a different style than some of theier other music, but it's still great. Pretty fly for a white guy is only OK at best, but still not that bad.

F@ BANKZ
03-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Hit That is a great song i agree, Original Prankster isn't so great.

rlplaymaker
03-03-2007, 09:04 AM

okay, besides pretty fly,and why dont you get a job, you're telling me that Americana wasn't a good album, not edgy at all?? And honestly, they overproduced co1, but with the exception of Want you Bad, it was a good fucking album. co1 was different in the fact that It sounded more metal than punk....doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it for the most part, and most of you would be lying if you said you didn't like ' million miles away' or 'vultures'. Even though the singles were "poppy", dont let those ruin the album for you, kids.
ANd finally, SPLINTER. In my opinion, its one of the top 3 albums they have done. YOU CAN'T TELL ME THE OFFSPRING DIDN'T GO BACK TO THEIR PUNK ROOTS FOR THIS ONE, PEOPLE. That was straight up punk heavily infused with metal. BAD ASS COMBINATION. 'never gonna find me' 'the noose', " lightning rod", CGMHAY "da hui", fuck, I even liked the accoustic " spare me the details" .....AMAZING ALBUM!!!!! And yes, I know about 'when your in prison"....sucks balls, oh well. And i don't care what any dumbass from this thread says, "Hit That" was not a poppy joke song. Lost their edge.....I think not. besides, we all know their gonna come out with an album like ignition to make us happy anyways...

Hypodermic_89
03-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I mean, "Pretty Fly", "Original Prankster" and "Hit That" are absolutely horrible songs and borderline on just being stupid.
I think someone forgot about Da Hui, The Noose, Long Way Home, Million Miles Away, Huck It, All I Want, Cool To Hate, Change The World, Conspiracy Of One, Never Gonna Find Me, Lightning Rod, The Meaning Of Life, Have You Ever, Pay The Man..

fergiepunk
03-03-2007, 05:18 PM
I dont think the last 2 were dissapointing. Splinter is a good album to me.

clocks_R_slow
03-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I smell a troll.........

Seriously...why bother coming in here to tell us how much you hate The Offspring? Go whine somewhere else. :rolleyes:

-hugs- :)

ZagmenO
03-03-2007, 08:43 PM

Thank you. :)

rlplaymaker
03-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Thank you. :)

Splinter was a great album

F@ BANKZ
03-04-2007, 03:34 AM
Yeah but it wasn't up to the same standerds as Americana or Ixnay etc...

Iamstupid
03-04-2007, 06:17 AM
I think someone forgot about Da Hui, The Noose, Long Way Home, Million Miles Away, Huck It, All I Want, Cool To Hate, Change The World, Conspiracy Of One, Never Gonna Find Me, Lightning Rod, The Meaning Of Life, Have You Ever, Pay The Man..

Okay, if I understood well your post, all the song mentioned here are ones you don't like, so what are you doing here ?

I agree

Frozendoll
03-04-2007, 09:52 AM
I'd rather say he's quoting those songs to show that there are not just Hit That, Want you Bad and Pretty Fly in those three albums ^^

Hypodermic_89
03-04-2007, 10:13 AM
I'd rather say he's quoting those songs to show that there are not just Hit That, Want you Bad and Pretty Fly in those three albums ^^
Yes, thank you.

Iamstupid
03-04-2007, 10:21 AM

Oh okay.

Sorry ^^

Jakebert
03-04-2007, 10:24 AM
In terms of relevance to pop-culture, no, they're not. They haven't been since 99. The public doesn't really seem to want them anymore, which is fine. I don't see them ever recapturing their commercial succuss again.

In terms of artistic relevance, it depends. Looking at the last 2 albums, no they're not. There's nothing groundbreaking, or in CO1's case, nothing memorable at all. I think they probably still have some potential to put out a great album, but it all depends on how they approach the next album. As I've said before, Splinter was a step in the right direction. But who knows if the next album will further that step or just be an inconsistant mess.

MOTO13
03-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I smell a troll.........

I am not trolling and definitely an Offspring fan. Been to many concerts and have both Noodles guitars. I have been a HUGE fan since day one. It just seems that their music has definitely lost something. Not trying to insult anyone, they are still my favorite band by far. But I find myself going back to their earlier music and not so much the likes of CO1 or Americana. Ixnay back to their debut album are monster albums...then to now, not so much.

MOTO13
03-04-2007, 11:32 AM
They don't need to "contribute" anything to modern music. So long as they make good music people will continue to listen to them and enjoy it.

You make a good point. I will listen to them til I drop. Something about Noodles riffs are just awsome. They have contributed a TON, maybe I am just expecting to much. Their next album will be a turning point for them I think though...it will be more like the older albums-guitar driven. Not like their more recent singles.

bouncingcoles
03-04-2007, 07:25 PM
even if offspring are not contributing to modern music these days, who is? practically all the shit that is popular right now is just garbage anyway. sure they have gotten a little stale recently but thats what happens to most bands. im sure if their next album is something decent it might revive them a bit.

Hypodermic_89
03-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Oh okay.

Sorry ^^
You live up to your name *joke*
:D

Grabbal
03-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Where you been the last month hypo??

malibu43
03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I think it would be very interesting to correlate how long a person has listened to Offspring and what they think about the new stuff. I would bet that someone who has been a fan since Smash or earlier, will probably tell you that Original Prankster and Hit That are terrible songs and that Splinter sucked and Co1 wasn't very good. This is the category that I fall into. I'm a big fan of punk rock music and The Offspring as a punk band.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are a lot of people who started listening around the time of Americana or Co1, and they probably like songs like Hit That and Original Prankster, since that's what The Offspring were when they started listening.

So, I think that when you started listening to a band will have a huge impact on which styles of their music you will like. This may not be true for all cases, but I think it could apply to a majority. If this is true, that means that stupid discussions like this one are pointless and people should stop wasting their time debating whether or not Hit That is a good song.

MOTO13
03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
I think it would be very interesting to correlate how long a person has listened to Offspring....If this is true, that means that stupid discussions like this one are pointless and people should stop wasting their time debating whether or not Hit That is a good song.

You make a good point, AT FIRST. Look fella, it's real easy, if YOU don't want to discuss it, DON'T. Leave this thread alone.

malibu43
03-05-2007, 03:01 PM
You make a good point, AT FIRST. Look fella, it's real easy, if YOU don't want to discuss it, DON'T. Leave this thread alone.

Fine. If you enjoy spending your time endlessly debating something that's been debating a million times already knowing that no resolution will ever be reached, by all means, continue on...

MOTO13
03-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Fine. If you enjoy spending your time endlessly debating something that's been debating a million times already knowing that no resolution will ever be reached, by all means, continue on...

Gee, thanks for your blessing. FWIW, this thread is not a debate, it's a discussion. Very different things. I have a feeling this thread has run its course.

Jakebert
03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Moto, shut up.

The points that Malibu brought up are good, intelligent points. You just don't want to talk about them because they're at odds with your worldview, and in a total act of pussiness, you just dismiss them as not being relevent instead of defending your self.

Learn how to interact with people.

MOTO13
03-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Moto, shut up.

The points that Malibu brought up are good, intelligent points. You just don't want to talk about them because they're at odds with your worldview, and in a total act of pussiness, you just dismiss them as not being relevent instead of defending your self.

Learn how to interact with people.

Hey genius, I said he made a good point. Lighten up and read the post. At odds with my "worldview"?..."pussiness?"...good points. On what I have no idea. Defend myself against what? wow. You really read WAY too much into this thread. I rarely post here but read many threads and this is the exact reason no one takes anything on the forum seriously in the least. I think I will remain a detached spectator from now on laughing at these posts. Heck, I just like the Offspring, we will leave it at that.

DirtyYeso
03-06-2007, 06:35 PM
A band can only be relevant in music in their first albums, there are very rare exceptions though. This is because they are showing what they got, which at that time is different from everything else done before, there are exception as always. In their late albums they actually are not relevant anymore, because they already have a defined style and if they try to make something different it won't come naturally as it did in the early days.

The Offspring are not relevant anymore in music. However, I f*cking enjoy everything they do and I will keep buying.

RoxnRollBassist
03-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Yes their orginal albulms are great, but how long has it been? I think they still produce some great punk songs...with something diffrent. I think ALL of their albulms are great. I think its great they are doing new and diffrent things as well. You cant keep playing the same thing over and over. They themselves have matured as well, so they find diffrent things to write about. Whats wrong with doing something diffrent? Say what you want, but I believe they still write music for themselves, and not just for popularity.

kitfoo
03-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I think it would be very interesting to correlate how long a person has listened to Offspring and what they think about the new stuff. I would bet that someone who has been a fan since Smash or earlier, will probably tell you that Original Prankster and Hit That are terrible songs and that Splinter sucked and Co1 wasn't very good. This is the category that I fall into. I'm a big fan of punk rock music and The Offspring as a punk band.

I've been listening to The Offspring ever since I heard LAPD on the radio when Ignition came out. (Probably before most of the people on here were born) I like all their songs, including Hit That and Original Prankster. Don't generalize.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
03-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Not to mention that it would be stupid if they were trying to go back to what they were like in the 90s... They're trying to move ahead, not backwards.

Lord_Gabo
03-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Well done!

Yeah man, who fucking cares.. It's not like their intentions as a band was to make it big and be on the mainstream. If it was they'd have probably thought about quitting after Ignition.

And sure, they've made it on the mainstream a few times in the last few albums, but that doesn't mean their aim for every album is to be on the charts. They make each album with the intentions of doing the very best of what they love doing.

They don't need any more songs to hit charts or go popular, because they're already well known enough, and with the right advertising (which i'm sure won't be hard... word of mouth, T.V, Radio... etc) People will hear that Offspring have a new album and If they liked the previous music then they'll buy the album (or download if they're assholes).

Scruffy
03-13-2007, 04:48 AM
What the does relevant mean? i don't care what kinda impact they have or don't have in the world of music, all i care about is the music they make. and as long as it's good... it's all good. and even if they don't make any good music in the future, there's still the old music. wooo, Offspring! go team, yeah!!!

and i know what relevant means, i'm just saying. you know what i mean...

Maleficent
03-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I've been a fan since 94...and I love the new stuff. And actually Splinter is my favorite Offspring album...

Moto, you don't have to like it just because you love the old stuff. and there are other bands..I'm sure there are new bands that sound kinda like Offspring did 13 years ago...

MOTO13
03-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I've been a fan since 94...and I love the new stuff. And actually Splinter is my favorite Offspring album...

Moto, you don't have to like it just because you love the old stuff. and there are other bands..I'm sure there are new bands that sound kinda like Offspring did 13 years ago...

Hey, I will always like the Offspring. Just tired of the goofy songs lately. 80% of their stuff is better than almost everything else out there, no doubt. AFI has really come on in recent years. Absolutely one of the best bands I have ever heard. Jade is amazing on guitar and Davey's singing and writing is second to none. They used to be on Dexter's Nitro lable. I have all their stuff. The Offspring will always be my favorite band though.

Maleficent
03-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey, I will always like the Offspring. Just tired of the goofy songs lately.

I doubt they'll stop doing goofy songs just cause you're tired of it...:D

MOTO13
03-13-2007, 03:01 PM
I doubt they'll stop doing goofy songs just cause you're tired of it...:D

Their albums sales and popularity are down from their hay days, which were not too many years ago really. Something has to make them re-think the songs they release.

Short_Attention_Span
03-14-2007, 09:27 PM
There's just one problem with that: a lot the songs that gave them the most popularity were the ones that were the jokey pop songs. I mean, what's Pretty Fly if not a jokey pop song? If a decrease in popularity was their main influence when deciding which songs to release on an album, wouldn't they just go with those kinds songs since they helped sales and popularity before?
________
Bmw n73 (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_N73)

Maleficent
03-15-2007, 07:04 AM
There's just one problem with that: a lot the songs that gave them the most popularity were the ones that were the jokey pop songs. I mean, what's Pretty Fly if not a jokey pop song? If a decrease in popularity was their main influence when deciding which songs to release on an album, wouldn't they just go with those kinds songs since they helped sales and popularity before?

well said!

Hypodermic_89
03-16-2007, 03:26 AM
Where you been the last month hypo??
Just been lazy.