PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Adult Swim.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 09:23 AM
I Hate Adult Swim: An Essay By a TV Nerd.
By Jakebert, PH.D in Nerdology.

I Hate Adult Swim, and Obnoxious Adult Swim Fans.

When Adult Swim was first coming out, I couldn't have been more excited. I'm a huge animation buff, and hearing that one of my favorite cartoons of all time was going to be one of the centers of the line up, I was estatic. But, as you've probably already figured out, I was incredibly disappointed in the end. The reason I got as disappointed as I was and still am is that something like Adult Swim, but with quality, is needed badly. Television animation for adults is a dying art form, at least in terms of quality and legitimacy.

The whole thing with them re-airing classic-but-canceled shows like Futurama and Mission Hill is something I really like. I want to state that right away, just so I can acknowledge that I do give it some credit. That's a really good thing that they did, since prime-time animation was essentially dead, with the exceptions of King of the Hill and the Simpsons, and there wasn't room for anything other than reality shows and CSI ripoffs. Giving these shows a chance to reach their target audience is a great thing.

The rest of Adult Swim, mainly almost all of the original programming with the exception of the Venture Bros. and Aqua Teen (40% of the time. The 60% left is shit), are generally shit. The Bob Clampett Show was a really, really good idea, but unfortunatly got canceled because the dumb fanbase that Adult Swim is catering to didn't like it.

Don't get me wrong: some of the original shows that were aired when it first come out were decent. They were underdeveloped, but because of the experimentation they were doing, it was okay for the time being. The problem is that a fanbase of incredibly retarded 14 year olds started clamoring for the dumb "lolz random humor", and the entire block turned into 10 minute long half-assed shorts with no plots, horrible animation, bad voice acting, and writing that seems like it could come from a 14 year girl's Myspace. It's just garbage, and most of the time, it makes my head hurt.

Case in point: Assy McGee. I remember for the week before it first aired, everyone I knew was talking about how great this was going to be. "It's a talking ass!" "OMGZTALKINGASS!" And I'll admit, it got my attention even though the whole premise seems like something me and my friends would have loved in 6th grade, the time that we all thought The Man Show was hilarious.

But, that week, I watched it out of curiosity despite the lame premise. And, well, I was correct in doubitng it. The show was essentially comprised of one joke: the premise itself. That's it. They basically based an entire series on one fucking joke. It's like "Yes, Dear" only with even less intelligence. Essentially, that's what most of the Adult Swim original shows are now. They take one joke and turn it into an entire premise, and a lot of times that one joke wasn't even really that funny to begin with.

The other thing that I absolutely hate about Adult Swim is the abundance of "random" humor. For those who'd like an example of what that is: you know that slightly obese kid you went to school with who walked around saying words like "cheese", "Captain Crunch!", and "pickles" in a really dumb, loud voice? That's random humor right there. And it's not funny unless it's pulled off completely right, and usually it's not. Adult Swim is that fat guy who thinks that "random for the sake of random" is inherently hilarious no matter what the context.

To me, that's incredibly lazy writing. Maybe I'm picky since I'm a TV nerd who wants to be a writer, but I just think that writing a gag about a pancake monster fighting off an invasion of tupperware aliens is lazy as fuck. There's no real gag there, it's just random words that sound "random" thrown together into a scene that isn't even remotely coherent. There's no depth or intelligence in the joke writing, there's just things that sound "wacky" when put together. That doesn't take effort or talent to write, it takes about 30 seconds of looking around a room for random objects and putting them together.

The argument I always get when I point that out is that "cartoons aren't supposed to have depth, they're supposed to be funny drawings that do funny things". No, you're wrong. The best cartoons all have some sort of depth. The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Futurama, Mission Hill, and even the original Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies cartoons all have a lot of wit and subtle commentary and satire in there, and a lot of layered humor. That's what makes them watchable over and over again because there's more there than just "omgz wacky random drawings!!". With Adult Swim, even the good shows, you can't watch them over and over again like you can with King of the Hill because once the initial response to seeing whatever random, outragous thing they're doing wears off, it loses the impact it has.

Finally, I hate obnoxious Adult Swim fans who think that it's the greatest thing on TV. They're even worse than pretentious Seinfeld fans. (I like Seinfeld, but let's face it, some of the fans are asses). Just about every day, I can expect some person coming up to me and quoting the newest lines from Robot Chicken or Squidbillies, and then get pissed when I don't even crack a smile at whatever lame joke they're telling me. These people are the already mentioned fat kid who thinks that saying the word cheese is funny. That alone should be proof enough that Adult Swim fans are generally idiots or stoners.

Grabbal
03-03-2007, 09:34 AM
One of the best "reviews" I've ever read, but I can't say if I agree or disagree cause we don't have that channel..

But however I do love the shows I have downloaded that are airing there like sealab, robot chicken and of course the one and only wonderful Aqua teen hunger force..

JohnnyNemesis
03-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Cheese broccoli toes meat pie water pancakes! LOLOLOLOLOL!

Yeah, as usual I love your posts so much that I have nothing to add but "hallelujah" and "Amen!" and "PREACH IT".

Lodat225
03-03-2007, 09:43 AM
I don't watch much of Adult Swim except for Aqua Teen Hungerforce, Sealab 2021, Futurama, Moral Orel, and some Robot Chicken.

Some shows are really shitty like "Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!" or "Saul of the Mole Men".

I mean, wtf?

Vera
03-03-2007, 09:45 AM
I've only seen some clips on Youtube but haven't found any of them funny. Props for Futurama re-runs and such, though, I love that show.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Sometimes I like Aqua Teen, because when they want to, they can do stuff that is legitimately funny. But most of the time, it's just the same as the other shows to me.

Whiplash
03-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Off topic:

ZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEENNNNN NNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grabbal
03-03-2007, 09:52 AM
If you were ever to write about something you wanted to on a test and if you would have written this, you would have gotten an A+!!

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 09:55 AM
If you were ever to write about something you wanted to on a test and if you would have written this, you would have gotten an A+!!

Essay writing is usually my biggest stength when test time rolls around. Which explains why I get bad grades in math.

coke_a_holic
03-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I really like your writing, but it seems like you state a lot of obvious things. Don't get me wrong, this shit needs to be said, and I'm glad you're the one saying it. But it just seems like everything I read by you is something that has been established long before. Keep it up, though; just because some of us have realized this doesn't mean that everyone has. And some people need to have this shit spelled out for them before I give up on humanity.

Also, to help cement the point, I saw a show on Adult Swim a few weeks ago that made me question my existence. I missed the first 5 minutes (meaning there were only 5 minutes left in the show, as expected), but there was a bush baby with laser vision tied to a chair... on tv, while a shark in a robe laid down watching it. I was so fucking confused, I thought my brain was going to suicide to avoid the plague it had spread onto me. At the end, everything died. What the fucking fuck.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 10:56 AM
I remember when they started airing commercials for adult swim. I thought it looked stupid and I never had a single urge to watch it. I mean it looked really really stupid.

Glad to know my presumption was correct.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 11:39 AM
I really like your writing, but it seems like you state a lot of obvious things. Don't get me wrong, this shit needs to be said, and I'm glad you're the one saying it. But it just seems like everything I read by you is something that has been established long before. Keep it up, though; just because some of us have realized this doesn't mean that everyone has. And some people need to have this shit spelled out for them before I give up on humanity.

I know that most of it is pointing out the obvious, but for some reason, I barely ever hear it being said. Plus, I was bored.

Rag Doll
03-03-2007, 12:20 PM
lets make babies, lolz.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 01:38 PM

I know that most of it is pointing out the obvious, but for some reason, I barely ever hear it being said. Plus, I was bored.

Eliezer, this is how you adults take criticism. I'm sorry I had to use people who are about 5 years your junior to point this out. Sorry for you.

0r4ng3
03-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Props for Futurama re-runs and such, though, I love that show.
Yeah, basically what I was going to say. It's kind of sad that the best Adult Swim shows are reruns of shows from other channels, isn't it?

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 02:07 PM
But then again, you can't lose with Futurama or Mission Hill. Does Adult Swim still air American Dad? If so, then they get points for that too. That show is really underrated. Waaaaay better than Family Guy.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 02:15 PM
I thought of American Dad as the unfunny copy of Family Guy. I really didn't find that show amusing. I found Family Guy much more amusing. I'm not sure why, since they are exact copies.

Grabbal
03-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Isn't american dad made by the same guy creating family guy??

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 02:21 PM
American Dad is one of those shows that has some really shitty moments, but when it's good, it's really good.

I don't see it as a copy though. The whole family thing is a little bit of a re-tread, but story-style is a little different, and they don't have cutaways. Well, not anymore. They did for like 3 episodes, but then thankfully got rid of them.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Family Guy is the one show where I really enjoy cut-aways. They also pull it off pretty well in my opinion. Without those, it would be very close to the Simpsons.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 02:29 PM
They used to pull it off alright, but with the newer ones, they aren't nearly as funny.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I've only viewed up to season 4.

Grabbal
03-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I hate how we don't have the right channels to watch these shows on tv..

JohnnyNemesis
03-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Even with the cutaways, Family Guy so shamelessly steals from The Simpsons so often that it's hard to enjoy the show. Sometimes I'm laughing hysterically at the show, and other times I'm like "This EXACT joke barely got a smile outta me when it aired on The Simpsons 10 years ago, what the fuck do you want from me now, Seth McFarlane?"

And then I realize he can't hear me. And I cry.

coke_a_holic
03-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I haven't laughed at Family Guy for about 3 years. It got so old so fast for me; it's just not a very funny show, and they repeat so much stuff that it's really just... boring.

All About Eve
03-03-2007, 03:59 PM
"hallelujah" and "Amen!" and "PREACH IT".
You are so black.

JohnnyNemesis
03-03-2007, 04:15 PM
That's what your mother said, ohhhhhhhh

ZagmenO
03-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Robot Chicken and Moral Orel are the best shows on Adult Swim.

Llamas
03-03-2007, 06:03 PM
I love Aqua Teen. I also think that Tom Goes to the Mayor and Space Ghost Coast to Coast have/had some good moments. However, once you've seen about 5 of the shows, you've pretty much seen them all, discluding Aqua Teen, which I think is usually genuinely funny humor. Most of it IS random stuff that just doesn't make sense, though, and it's so tired. It is true that you stated a lot of known information, but it was nice to hear it. Adult Swim has a lot of potential, but they just don't use it.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 06:22 PM
The potential is has is why I have such a problem with it. If it was just your normal shitty television, I wouldn't be so annoyed by it, but since it's something that if used right could be brilliant, it makes the crappiness that much more annoying.

Space Ghost is funny, but I don't consider part of Adult Swim since it had been airing since 1994.

0r4ng3
03-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Wait, Space Ghost is still around? Damn I gotta watch that show again.

ruroken
03-03-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm more pissed at Toonami sucking so much ass and showing only on Saturdays... I don't even watch anymore, but I have fond memories of the best animes ever dominating 2 hours every day of my life. *sighs and reminisces*

Lodat225
03-03-2007, 10:05 PM
They show it Saturday-Thursday.

Mota Boy
03-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Tonight one of my coworkers went on about Assy McGee for half an hour, even drawing a picture of him for another coworker. My thoughts on the show are here (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=928292&postcount=6). I do like Venture Bros. and Metalocaplyse is likewise pretty damn cool, but I've neve understood Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Grabbal
03-04-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm headed here (http://yourtvlinks.com/) to watch some more adult swim and see what I think of the other shows you guys are talking about..

Edit: There are a lot of videos that don't work cause of the copyright thing!

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Oh hell, if you want excellent adult animation, Drawn Together is the way to go.

Bah, I can find no clips! Ah well, watch it if you can. It's sheer quality.

H1T_That
03-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Oh hell, if you want excellent adult animation, Drawn Together is the way to go.

Bah, I can find no clips! Ah well, watch it if you can. It's sheer quality.

Was that the Big Brother style thing with Pikachu and Hercules etc as contestants?

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Aye, that was it.

H1T_That
03-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Aye, that was it.

Yeah, that was a good show.