PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaurs!

Duskygrin
03-03-2007, 10:31 AM
. .

Grabbal
03-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Thought we were having a thread about another show called "Dinosaurs".. You know, the one with humans in suits.. *Dissapointed*

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 10:36 AM
You're wrong. *everything* is about Bulbasaur.

I love dinosaurs. Have since I was six.

Marco
03-03-2007, 10:36 AM
You should put an option between "yes.." and no.." that says: I don't particulary care but I they're nice creatures.:rolleyes:

mrconeman
03-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Loved them since I was a little kid.
I always bought this magazine every month with my pocket money back in the day, it had loads of information on dinosaurs, and you collected little pieces at a time and built your dinosaur models, it was awesome core.

Tijs
03-03-2007, 11:18 AM
I've heard about the show and I'm interested in watching it. Didn't they show this on Discovery Channel as well? At least something similar, which I enjoyed watching.

Great Mike
03-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Dinos are rad :) .

Tijs
03-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Found them & downloading.

What's it like? Is it a bit like March of the Penguins, or is it more general information instead of following a dinosaur's daily routine?

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I used to love them when I was a kid, and I still think they're pretty neat. Jurassic Park is a good movie, too.

T-6005
03-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I had a fucked up dream the other day, with velociraptors and a Tyrannosaurus. I was stuck in a bathroom with the velociraptors and got saved by a wizard who put them in a bag.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Jakebert, great taste.

I just watched all 3 of the movies last weekend. I keep thinking about reviewing them in the movie thread, but forgetting. I should do that now before I forget again.

T-6005
03-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Are you saying you wouldn't love to have that dream?

Tijs
03-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Found them on torrent sites. I'll see if I can find them someplace else though.

And your explanation was clear enough for me know you're excited about it. Also for me to imagine what it's like, which I like.

killer_queen
03-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Used to be a real fan when I was a kiddo. Then I read B. B. Calhoun's books and wanted to be a...I don't know what you call the people who deal with fossils. And then I became a young girl and started to be interested in clothes and make-up and forgot all about them.
Now I have a three-year-old nephew who adores dinosaurs. We watch Walking with Dinosaurs (whish is awesome), Jurassic Park and that kind of things together, I teach him the names of the dinos. I think I would be a good paleonwhatever if I lived in America or India or some place where dinosaurs had lived.

By the way, when I first read The Lost World I thought it sucked. The second reading after a couple of years changed my mind, though.

Tijs
03-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Paleonthologist! I wanted to be that too for quite a few years. I used to collect fossils. And at that age collecting meant having 2 or 3 items which had something to do with dinosaurs.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah paleontology was also a passion of the young wheelchairman.

F@ BANKZ
03-03-2007, 01:01 PM
paleontology never appealed to me, not quite sure why, it did for like evceryone else i knew for my first 3 years at school only then it was called Dinosaur-man.

Walking with dinosaurs, such memories. Does anyone remember that super, ultra-mega corny one where the guy goes back in time to make a doccumentry on dinosaurs then at the end goes "this is the most amazing moment of my life, i'm going to touch the dinosaur". That was dumb as a t-rex starting on a gigonotosaurus.

Tijs
03-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Don't tell the ending of everything, I still need to watch it :(

Oh and I couldn't find it for download on websites.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah paleontology was also a passion of the young wheelchairman.

I think most young boys go through that phase growing up.

Grabbal
03-03-2007, 02:29 PM
I went through that phase mostly cause of my uncle was one and I had plenty of dinosaur toys and stuff.. (I even have a video of all of them 10 year back)

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Actually I think it's largely due to us being part of the Jurassic Park generation.

Tijs
03-03-2007, 02:42 PM
I used to wear my Jurassic Park sweater with pride when I was a 7 year old boy.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 02:55 PM
I just looked up the "Walking with the Dinosaurs" series on Wikipedia, and realized that I watched the whole thing about a month ago, and just forget what it was called.

Boring backstory aside, I really enjoyed it.

Grabbal
03-03-2007, 03:00 PM
The only show about those real dinosaurs I've ever seen is "Prehistoric park" and that totally sucked (what you make it be) in my opinion.. But I'm downloading the six episodes now and hopefully when I wake up in the morning they'll be done and as good as they sound like..

mrconeman
03-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Actually I think it's largely due to us being part of the Jurassic Park generation.

This. I recall watching that in the cinema when I was real young and being totally amazed.

Jakebert
03-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, obviously a lot of it is based on speculation, but it's not speculation that's so far out there that it's like they were really going overboard with creative changes.

Tijs
03-03-2007, 03:08 PM
So when you see it, Tijs, don't forget to write up your impressions.
I'll do that. Question though, I probably won't view them in order, since it looks like episode #2 will be finished downloading first. Is there some sort of a story told along all episodes?

And awesome something:
I followed a link in the title of the torrent, but I had to register to view the website. Curious as I am I did, and there's a world full of BBC documentaries and documentaries from other channels aswell!
www.mvgroup.org

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Also you know what's awesome? That walking with Dinosaurs program, the American version has Avery Brooks as the narrator. That's real awesome.

Tijs
03-03-2007, 03:27 PM
The awesome sth will be checked forthwith.

Yes, of course there's a link. *slaps his sinciput* It's in chronological order, imbecile. Begins with triassic & ends in cretaceous. Silly boy. You got to see New Blood first.

I had to look up 'sinciput'. But yeah, silly boy indeed.

I'm now downloading a few more documentaries:
Predators
Revealing Mars
Secrets of the Maya Underworld
Superhumans

ZagmenO
03-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Dinosaurs RULE!!!!!!!

Bazza
03-03-2007, 05:19 PM
This threads needs more dinosaurs!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/bazza1987/018-NaturalHistoryMuseum-.jpg

mrconeman
03-03-2007, 05:38 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Stegosaurus_Struct.jpg
Stegosaurus ftw.

Venom Symbiote
03-03-2007, 05:41 PM
The problem with Walking With Dinosaurs and all of the other documentaries is, their special effects are inevitably crap. I mean, it's always amazed me how middle-aged people watching this stuff are all "ZOMG, reeeaaal!", and yet think Jurassic Park looked fake.

Like, digital effects would be cheaper now than in '93, right? Obviously they don't have the same budget as a freakin' Spielberg blockbuster, but you'd think they could make them look a little better than a TV commercial quality.

Jurassic Park was inaccurate as fuck (Dilophosaur, pssh...not to mention most of the dinosaurs weren't even "Jurassic" - fuck, amazing what useless shit you'll remember from reading as a kid), but a damn amazing movie. I mean, than animatronic T-Rex is still pretty-much the best movie effect to this day. Even the CG part towards the end looked good.

wheelchairman
03-03-2007, 06:29 PM
I was wondering when we'd get one of your stupid, pointless opinions again. :)

Change the world
03-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Dinosaurs Own the Humans of Today.

Dino Pride!

Venom Symbiote
03-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I was wondering when we'd get one of your stupid, pointless opinions again. :)

Ok...

Open-minded, yay!

There's nothing wrong with what I'm saying. TV-quality CG dinosaurs look crap. Why not just either make it animated or use animatronics? They always look better. If they want CG, get a budget. So it doesn't look ridiculous.

Jakebert
03-04-2007, 08:46 AM
The problem with Walking With Dinosaurs and all of the other documentaries is, their special effects are inevitably crap. I mean, it's always amazed me how middle-aged people watching this stuff are all "ZOMG, reeeaaal!", and yet think Jurassic Park looked fake.

Like, digital effects would be cheaper now than in '93, right? Obviously they don't have the same budget as a freakin' Spielberg blockbuster, but you'd think they could make them look a little better than a TV commercial quality.

The CGI on those specials is the highest quality you're going to get for a TV documentary. That's the point, genius. It's TV. Not a movie.

Grabbal
03-04-2007, 09:18 AM
So far I've downloaded the 2 out of 6 parts of the walking with dinosaurs documentary and after seeing the first part I am truly facinated!!

I was worried that the storyteller would be a boring man with an annoying voice, but thankfully it was the complete opposite in my opinion. Seeing that the file was in HD also didn't hurt cause it made all the great areas and animation look even better. I swear that sometimes I even thought it was the real deal. Crazy! It also was never boring and I didn't even pause it once which to tell the truth is very rare for me when I watch TV shows, movies or whatever it is..

In other words I wanna thank you Duskygrin for making this wonderful thread which made me watch this truly amazing show!!

Kudos to you..

Jakebert
03-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I saw bits and pieces of that one before, and I didn't think it was as good. The setting and atmosphere is done really well, but it gets slightly boring in places.

Grabbal
03-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Maria

I highly recommend torrent downloaders like bitlord (http://www.bitlord.com/) and sites like Torrentspy (http://torrentspy.com/search?query=walking+with+beasts&submit.x=0&submit.y=0) if you want really fast downloads.. I'm not really familiar with how bearshare is now, but back when I use to have it it could take days or more. Currently one part of the documentary (350 MB) takes about two hours or so depending on your internet connection..

Warning: May rape internet though!

Tijs
03-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I'll send it together with the other documentary to you when they're finished downloading.

Tijs
03-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Only kidding.Are you sure? In July I'll be in Lyon.

Tijs
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Actually I'm only driving through trying to get the hell out of that traffic.

Tijs
03-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I've watched the first 4 episodes now and I must say I haven't learned anything new. All the given information was very easy to fill in for yourself since it's so similar with today's animals. I hoped for more depth and focus of a few single animals.
The only thing they made me (more) aware of was how different the landmasses were back then. And I never thought of the fact that dinosaurs lived for hundreds of millions years, thus there being many different species over time.
The first episode was the most interesting episode since that's the period I hardly know a thing about, but in my opinion they should've went even further back in time. Now all the animals are presented as if they just suddenly appeared. I wanted to know from which animals they evolved and how. That goes for all episodes I've seen so far.
Following the evolutions of the plants is more interesting than the dinosaurs, to me. I've just seen the 'first' flowers, but they too were suddenly there. What about all the steps in between them?
What made it more interesting to see was the presence of species which are still among us today; sharks, turtles, dung beetles, bees, etc. I knew they existed back then but it's interesting to see how they haven't changed at all over hundreds of millions years.

My rating: 6.5.
Informative if you don't know anything about dinosaurs, story telling is easy to follow. 3D animation are great. Lack of depth and focus.

I'll try to watch episode 5 and 6 today too.

bouncingcoles
03-11-2007, 07:03 PM
dinosaurs are fucking amazing! its incredible to think those beasts lived on our planet millions of years ago!