Relentless Warlord?
Or
Cautious Opportunist?

Grabbal
03-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Why do you ask??

The Captain
03-04-2007, 12:17 AM
"But you say he's just a friend." Oh wait. Never mind.

Lithuanian Offspring
03-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Why do you ask??

For thy humble opinion.

Italia311
03-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Bismarck...as in Nazi battleship????

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Otto von Bismarck.. the only knowledge I have of him is scattered memories from high school history.. is he the guy who spearheaded the growth in German industry in the late 19th century? Or am I thinking of someone different?

If you're thinking warship, you've got the wrong decade.

All About Eve
03-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Otto von Bismarck.. the only knowledge I have of him is scattered memories from high school history.. is he the guy who spearheaded the growth in German industry in the late 19th century? Or am I thinking of someone different?

Basically.

And I'd say oppurtunist, because he only had one major offensive. He did nothing worthwhile on the military side in general, though, aside from build up Germany's pathetic stocks of weapons/ships, etc at the time. His best things were the Berlin Confrence (which ended up not mattering anyways) and making sure Germany didn't collapse after gaining independence.

Derek
03-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Bismarck...as in Nazi battleship????
Yes, the german battleship Bismarck was called after Otto von Bismarck.

Derek

wheelchairman
03-14-2007, 07:05 PM
I find it difficult to believe that you think he did nothing militaristic, when the man craftily expanded German borders in every direction. Unless of course you think the only military accomplishment one can get is in the designing of military machines. Then you are just an idiot. The man used the military in the most militaristic way possible (as in keeping and expanding borders).

Personally I have no opinion. I suppose as a Dane I should want Schleswig back, but I just don't care.

brothadave79
03-15-2007, 03:45 PM
He did a great job consolidating German power, yeah. But he wasn't an advocate for pursuing campaigns abroad. He was virtually unwavering in pursuing the acquisition of German colonies. He felt they would ultimately weaken the German state and spread her forces too thin. In fact, he even encouraged the French to make such pursuits, hoping they would experience the very results he anticipated. So, no, I wouldn't accuse him of being a hawkish leader. He was shrewd enough to avoid unnecessary conflicts.

Europe's Last Summer by David Fromkin, by the way is an amazing book if you're interested in the events leading up to World War I.