PDA

View Full Version : Good classic punk bands?

RoxnRollBassist
03-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey, I've been getting into classic punk A LOT lately. But to be honest I dont know too many songs or artists. I've only heard some songs from, Dead Kennedys, sex pistols, circle jerks...and so on. Everything I've heard sounds amazing! Please let me know of some good albulms from them, or other classic punk bands. Also more currently bad Religion, unfortuantly i havent heard too much of them, but again everything I've heard I've loved. What do you think their best albulm is?

0r4ng3
03-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Bad Religion has 3 best albums. Suffer, No Control, and Against the Grain. The latter of the 3 would be my personal favorite, but either one is fine.

As for "classic punk" bands, check out TSOL.

Change the world
03-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Lol GG Allin

Homer
03-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I've just recently started to listen to Bad Brains.

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey, I've been getting into classic punk A LOT lately. But to be honest I dont know too many songs or artists. I've only heard some songs from, Dead Kennedys, sex pistols, circle jerks...and so on. Everything I've heard sounds amazing! Please let me know of some good albulms from them, or other classic punk bands. Also more currently bad Religion, unfortuantly i havent heard too much of them, but again everything I've heard I've loved. What do you think their best albulm is?

I don't really like Bad Religion, but 'MC5' are the best and first punk band, check out 'Kick Out The Jams' by MC5, brilliant. (Sex Pistols are over-rated and not that good, good choice with DK)

BuddyHolly
03-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Social Distortion
Black Flag
Minor Threat
The Clash
Adolescents
Iggy & The Stooges

Bazza
03-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Jam
The Who
Stranglers
MC5
The Stooges
Undertones
Thin Lizzy

Some of these aren't really punk, however I would highly recommend them.

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-06-2007, 03:45 AM
Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Jam
The Who
Stranglers
MC5
The Stooges
Undertones
Thin Lizzy

Some of these aren't really punk, however I would highly recommend them.

I love the list, but where's the Damned :'( WHERE'S THE DAMNED! - Undertones nice choice

Jakebert
03-06-2007, 04:37 AM
lol @ punk rock.

Revolver-2005?
03-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Avoid the Sex Pistols like the plague, they're bastards.

Try The Decendents

F@ BANKZ
03-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Agent Orange, they say that they're not exactly punk but they have a very similar soun.

ZagmenO
03-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Definitely go for the Ramones, Bad Religion, Sex Pistols, Twisted Sister even though they're not punk but still very good, and that's just about all I can think of.

RoxnRollBassist
03-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Oh I do love the Ramones! Sex Pistols, I like but their not my favorite or anything, I've heard some of the decendents and what I've heard I've loved. i must go CD shopping now..I'm gonna need some more money I'm broke from trying to complete my offspring collection

Amiralanal
03-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I've just recently started to listen to Bad Brains.

They are amazing. Be shure to check out their album ''Rock for light''. It contains all their best songs re-recorded. For the original recordings, check out their self titled.

''Classic punk'' is very hard to define. I use the following terms:

American hardcore, with bands as Bad brains, Black flag, Minor threat, Dead Kennedys, Descendents..........

77-punk, the first wave. This is what i usually refer to as classic punk. Sex pistols, ramones, the clash and some other shit.

UK82, and other european second-wave punk. The exploited, G.B.H., Discharge, the varukers and a shitload of other bands

opivy21
03-06-2007, 02:33 PM
The Adicts
The Adverts
Agent Orange
The Big Boys
Black Market Baby
DOA
The Damned
Dicks
The Dictators
Eater
Electric Eels
Fear
The Flesh Eaters
Gang Green
Government Issue
The Stooges
Jerry's Kids
JFA
Johnny Thunders
MC5
MDC
Meat Puppets
Minutemen
New York Dolls
Pagans
The Partisans
Pere Ubu
The Queers
Radio Birdman
The Replacements
Richard Hell and the Voidoids
The Rotters
Saccharine Trust
T.S.O.L.
Television
Urinals
The Weirdos
X
X-Ray Spex
Zero Boys

H1T_That
03-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Bad Religion, The Descendants, and Social Distortion are all great.

Bazza
03-06-2007, 04:38 PM
I love the list, but where's the Damned :'( WHERE'S THE DAMNED! - Undertones nice choice

Haha, yeah I missed them, and the Ramones

Endymion
03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
lawls at queer who names a billion bands but misses the germs.

also: mika miko is all you need to listen to.

Fat-Mike
03-07-2007, 06:12 AM
Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, Ramones, Dead Milkmen, Listen to these bands to discover real punk rock

Amiralanal
03-07-2007, 06:12 AM
The Descendants

The DescendEnts, you fucking scum

bouncingcoles
03-07-2007, 06:55 AM
listen to

Bad religion (yes they count, they have been around since 1981)
The Damned
Circle jerks
Social distortion
operation Ivy (i suppose they count)
The Vandals (yes they count they have been around since the early 80s)
Misfits

Those are the only ones i can think of that are worth listening to.

Grabbal
03-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Many have said it i guess, but you can't go wrong with Pennywise..

Endymion
03-07-2007, 12:18 PM
you can't go wrong with Pennywise..

that is, if your goal is to be a faggot with shitty taste in music.

SMASH0390
03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
NOFX started in the 80's I don't know if you would want to consider them classic punk though

Bazza
03-07-2007, 02:23 PM
True "old-school" punk should be from the late 60s into 70s, well that's what I think. Anything going into the 80s/90s is a progression from then. Just look at the influences for the 80s groups (NOFX, Pennywise, The Offspring etc) and you'll see they came from the 60s/70s.

lilian [darkest star]
03-08-2007, 08:52 PM
I highly reccemond Bad Brains 'Banned In Dc'.

And also any old AFI, or Minor Threat

Betty
03-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I think people've mentionned most of the stuff I would've.

Social Distortion, The Damned (!), Agent Orange, Operation Ivy are some that I particularly enjoy. The Clash have some pretty kickass stuff, but I wouldn't consider a bunch of it punk.

And one band that nobody will ever name and that aren't really old, but that I always recommend are The Vindictives. Punk rock from the early 90's.

SkunkIt
03-09-2007, 01:11 AM
A few various "classic" (and not so classic) Punk (and Punk-related) bands:
You said old Punk bands not old school punk, so I wouldn't call ALL of these bands old school, since some of them are from the 80's.

Richard Hell and the Voidoids
GG Allin (he sucks, IMO.)
Motor City Five
The Clash
The Sex Pistols (they suck, for the most part, IMO.)
New York Dolls
The Velvet Underground
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Youth Brigade
TSOL
Minor Threat
(Early) Vandals
(Early) Social Distortion
Fugazi
Agent Orange
Circle Jerks
Black Flag
Gang Green
Descendents
Adolescents
D.I.
Dead Kennedys (Better when they had Jello Biafra.)
Bad Brains

As for Operation Ivy, they are a Ska-influenced band more than a Punk band, but they are still very enjoyable. The Who is not a Punk band, they were part of the British invasion.

opivy21 has a Superior list, listen to him.

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-09-2007, 02:35 AM
NOFX started in the 80's I don't know if you would want to consider them classic punk though

No you wouldn't, but they're are some sorta of punk.

BuddyHolly
03-10-2007, 04:06 PM
;977524']I highly reccemond Bad Brains 'Banned In Dc'.

you should check out the cover Ignite did of that song :cool:

UgLy_eLf
03-10-2007, 04:26 PM
I didnt really go through everyone elses list but here's a few good ones

The Business
Cock sparrer
Cockney Rejects
Dead Boys
Vibrators
Angelic Upstarts (Really good)
Chron Gen
Forgotten Rebels
The forgotten
Red Alert
Styrian Bootboys
Subhumans
A Total Chaos
UK Subs

RoxnRollBassist
03-12-2007, 06:31 PM
So i just made a list of all these bands, some I've heard of, but some I got to say I've never heard of them! I will try and check all of them out when i have time, Thanks for the list guys

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-13-2007, 12:40 AM
UK Subs

Deffinatly!

Who's going to see them in Australia this month

DeAtHsTaR
03-13-2007, 07:52 AM
that is, if your goal is to be a faggot with shitty taste in music.
If you think anyone can have "shitty" taste in music by listening to one band you don't like, you're a faggot.

By the way, other guy, Pennywise isn't old-school.

Alex101
10-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Are you freakin' kidding me? There's a lot of good classic punk bands:

The Offspring (yes, I consider them to be a "good classic punk band")
Bad Religion (with Brett)
NOFX
Rancid
Black Flag
Social Distortion
The Ramones
The Sex Pistols
The Clash
Youth Brigade
D.I.
The Adolescents
Dead Kennedys
Descendents / ALL
Minor Threat
Agent Orange
The Germs
Circle Jerks
T.S.O.L.
X
The Exploited
D.R.I.
D.O.A.
M.D.C. (Millions of Dead Cops)
Regan Youth
Pennywise
Rich Kids on LSD (R.K.L.)
Total Chaos
SNFU
The Vandals
Sublime
Face to Face
Lagwagon
The Damned

Smash_Returns
10-27-2008, 09:42 AM
The Offspring (yes, I consider them to be a "good classic punk band")

Them, Green Day, every major Grunge band, and a few alternative bands are considered to be classics of the '90s (already) by an overwhelmingly large number of people.

OffspringHead
10-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Definately tryout the Misfits and some old Social Distortion. Every other classic punk band is ghey.

Smash punker
10-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Whatīs so great about punk-rock is that I donīt know all those oldschool bands. :D And when you discover something, itīs worth it almost every time. :D So punx not dead! :D And BTW try Exploited, guess itīs pretty good start for those, who wanna discover something. :D

Offspring-Junkie
10-30-2008, 01:36 PM
The Clash- very good.

RickyCrack
10-30-2008, 04:16 PM
pat benetar

close thread now

Bipolar Bear
10-30-2008, 08:23 PM
here's a band that wasn't mentioned before:
Suicidal tendencies

by the way, you can't go wrong with Dead Kennedys & The Ramones :cool:

Jakebert
10-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Good Charlotte
New Found Glory
Avril Lavinge
Sum 41
Blink 182
The Offspring
Fall Out Boy
Panic! At The Disco
Angels and Airwaves

coke_a_holic
10-30-2008, 10:50 PM
I see you have included The Offspring in your list of, otherwise, completely different bands.

renato piquette
11-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Patti smith
sex pistols
public image limited
television
sonic youth
black flag
rollins band
swingin utters
bad religion
millencolin
the clash
lagwagon
spk
i hate kate
zebrahead
ramones

Alex101
11-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I see you have included The Offspring in your list of, otherwise, completely different bands.

Did you see my own list? I mentioned The Offspring too.

coke_a_holic
11-02-2008, 10:18 PM
You don't get it.

renato piquette
11-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Good Charlotte
New Found Glory
Avril Lavinge
Sum 41
Blink 182
The Offspring
Fall Out Boy
Panic! At The Disco
Angels and Airwaves

omfg,THIS IS....WEIRD

Smash punker
11-24-2008, 04:55 AM
omfg,THIS IS....WEIRD

Yeah I agree that set-list is a fucking trendy bullshit! :mad: Except the Offspring of course! :D

cool 2 hate 681
11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Good Charlotte
New Found Glory
Avril Lavinge
Sum 41
Blink 182
The Offspring
Fall Out Boy
Panic! At The Disco
Angels and Airwaves

you forgot green day

renato piquette
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Yeah I agree that set-list is a fucking trendy bullshit! :mad: Except the Offspring of course! :D

yeah,really,dammit,everyone here hates the Pistols!they say they are overrated,but they are quite underrated on this thread,i mean,yes,their music sounds limited (specially compared with P.I.L.) with those 3 chords that Steve Jones used to play and Sid Vicious was the worst professional bassist ever,but they were good and most punk bands wouldnīt exist if the Pistols wouldnīt exist (including our beloved Offspring)

coke_a_holic
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
You guys are all the butt of an elaborate joke that began in 1976.

RickyCrack
11-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I love you mike.

Smash punker
11-29-2008, 04:01 PM
No need to argue about that. Look these are punx forums! I'm tired of hearing shit about punx. I fucking hate trendy stuff like EMO, HIP HOP, DISCO, etc. And I don't speak about that everywhere I go there. So go get EMINEM and let us punx be, who we wanna be.:D

NGNM85
11-30-2008, 12:39 AM
"Classic" is a little general, but I take the point, although apparently some people don't realize punk existed before Green Day.
My Pics:
The Ramones
The Sex Pistols
The Clash
Generation X
The Runaways
Dead Kennedys
Blondie
X-Ray Spex
The Germs
X
Siouxsie & the Banshees
The Adverts
The Damned
Black Flag
Stiff Little Fingers
The Avengers
Cock Sparrer (They weren't as famous but they're chronologically appropriate and a fantastic band.)

renato piquette
11-30-2008, 10:04 AM
"Classic" is a little general, but I take the point, although apparently some people don't realize punk existed before Green Day.
My Pics:
The Ramones
The Sex Pistols
The Clash
Generation X
The Runaways
Dead Kennedys
Blondie
X-Ray Spex
The Germs
X
Siouxsie & the Banshees
The Adverts
The Damned
Black Flag
Stiff Little Fingers
The Avengers
Cock Sparrer (They weren't as famous but they're chronologically appropriate and a fantastic band.)

cool list,but whereīs p.i.l.????????

NGNM85
11-30-2008, 11:27 PM
cool list,but whereīs p.i.l.????????

I initially was kicking myself I forgot the Buzzcocks, a pretty major omission. I couldn't make up my mind about Penetration or Sham 69.

I left out PIL because I wasn't sure to put them in the "classic" category, alongside the Sex Pistols and the Ramones, this is where the subjective part comes in. PIL are a fantastic band, though, really brilliant and revolutionary, although they could have been even more so if not for Keith Levene's heroin addiction and so forth. They really took punk into some really interesting new directions, although the Sex Pistols will always mean more to me, personally. I love both.

Smash punker
12-01-2008, 07:49 AM

Tell it to those Green Day guys here! :D Donīt like-em too...

renato piquette
12-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I initially was kicking myself I forgot the Buzzcocks, a pretty major omission. I couldn't make up my mind about Penetration or Sham 69.

I left out PIL because I wasn't sure to put them in the "classic" category, alongside the Sex Pistols and the Ramones, this is where the subjective part comes in. PIL are a fantastic band, though, really brilliant and revolutionary, although they could have been even more so if not for Keith Levene's heroin addiction and so forth. They really took punk into some really interesting new directions, although the Sex Pistols will always mean more to me, personally. I love both.

wow,finally someone who likes the Pistols,I love them too,but Iīmmore on the P.I.L. stuff because there are very few songs from the S.P.,come on,Nevermind....is a masterpiece,but The Great Rock n Roll Swindle is crap,so I only listen to Nevermind,and yes Iīd love Keith to stay in the band,but I prefer McGeoch,really gave the band a different sound

NGNM85
12-05-2008, 12:20 AM
wow,finally someone who likes the Pistols,I love them too,but Iīmmore on the P.I.L. stuff because there are very few songs from the S.P.,come on,Nevermind....is a masterpiece,

The Pistols produced much less material, thats' true. There were a few tracks that never made it to NGNM, plus extended versions and live takes, but you could fit they're whole catalog on a single disc, however no such compilation exists, to my knowledge. Whereas PIL produced several full-lengthy albums, and at least one live album, plus singles, they had a longer career. Thats' a given. However, i prefer the Pistols because I like the raw, primal aspect, the rougher style and sound. I just love them.

but The Great Rock n Roll Swindle is crap,so I only listen to Nevermind,

I have the Swindle film and the soundtrack, they're both essential for true fans, but none of the failings of Swindle can be attributed to the band, it was created posthumously, it's Malcolm's film.

and yes Iīd love Keith to stay in the band,but I prefer McGeoch,really gave the band a different sound

That may be, although it's a matter of taste, but his heroin addiction and it's effects had a huge impact on the band, I believe that the disruption caused by his addiction and eventually leaving the band was one of the biggest things that stunted they're development. Lydon and Levene to some extent initially had ideas for PIL to be a much more ambitious project, really amazing ideas. They never got around to a lot of that stuff, I think that was one of the main reasons why, that kept them from branching out like that. You should read "Metal Box" by Phil Strongman, it's really good.

renato piquette
12-05-2008, 09:31 PM
The Pistols produced much less material, thats' true. There were a few tracks that never made it to NGNM, plus extended versions and live takes, but you could fit they're whole catalog on a single disc, however no such compilation exists, to my knowledge. Whereas PIL produced several full-lengthy albums, and at least one live album, plus singles, they had a longer career. Thats' a given. However, i prefer the Pistols because I like the raw, primal aspect, the rougher style and sound. I just love them.

I have the Swindle film and the soundtrack, they're both essential for true fans, but none of the failings of Swindle can be attributed to the band, it was created posthumously, it's Malcolm's film.

That may be, although it's a matter of taste, but his heroin addiction and it's effects had a huge impact on the band, I believe that the disruption caused by his addiction and eventually leaving the band was one of the biggest things that stunted they're development. Lydon and Levene to some extent initially had ideas for PIL to be a much more ambitious project, really amazing ideas. They never got around to a lot of that stuff, I think that was one of the main reasons why, that kept them from branching out like that. You should read "Metal Box" by Phil Strongman, it's really good.

i really didnīt like the swindle,iīve always thought that mclaren is a prick,and i like better the filth and the fury,wow,i didnīt knew there was a book named metal box,does it has anything to do with the metal box album??

NGNM85
12-06-2008, 09:04 PM
i really didnīt like the swindle,iīve always thought that mclaren is a prick,and i like better the filth and the fury,wow,i didnīt knew there was a book named metal box,does it has anything to do with the metal box album??

It's a mixed bag, some of it's crap, but it has some good moments like Sid's version of "My Way" which is fantastic. The soundtrack might be a better buy, but even then it's really more for hardcore fans/completists. The Filth and the Fury IS an excellent film, I used to have an illegal VHS copy, now I have it on DVD of course. Phil Strongman's "Metal Box" is a biography of PIL, from beginning to end, it's pretty good, too. So it's not just about that album, it's a retrospective of the bands' whole career.

WerGee
01-02-2009, 01:08 AM
NOFX? or THE CLASH?...SEX PISTOLS!

RageAndLov
01-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Sex Pistols is a classic, and their only album Never Mind The Bollocks is really good I think.

Bad religion is okay. I recomend that you try to listen to Suffer or No Control first to see if you like them :)

Other classical punk bands I can recomend to you are:
The Clash
The Buzzcocks
The Exploited
UK SUBS
The Misfits (If you would call that punk)

i_am_the_bishop
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
saw a pic of the offspring a while ago with noodles in a rezillos t-shirt, they're a damn fine band, listen to them or better yet, watch their vids on youtube (also the revillos).
sure i've posted a list like this on here before but nevermind:
notsensibles
dickies
lurkers
toy dolls
buzzcocks (autonomy was by them)
damned (smash it up was by them)
chelsea
jayne/wayne county and the electric chairs
slaughter and the dogs
:)

Tomasisko
01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
The Misfits (If you would call that punk)

definetely... but only 3 albums :p