PDA

View Full Version : Pain relief

Anya82
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
:( My boyfriend is sick and he has to take some strong medicine, but it seem it has secondary effects and has given him headache and something like an indigestion, which makes him want to vomit.

:confused: Do you know anything he could do/take to help his symptoms? Something that is not a pill or any medicine, of course.

Markus
03-06-2007, 10:49 PM
:( My boyfriend is sick and he has to take some strong medicine, but it seem it has secondary effects and has given him headache and something like an indigestion, which makes him want to vomit.

:confused: Do you know anything he could do/take to help his symptoms? Something that is not a pill or any medicine, of course.

what are his symptoms? just the head ache and indigestion?

Anya82
03-06-2007, 10:52 PM
yeah. His head hurts, and he feels pain in his stomach, some kind of sickness... like when you want to throw up. :(

all that is caused by the medicine he has to take. That's why I wish you all could help me find something natural to help him with his pain.

Markus
03-06-2007, 10:52 PM
for indigestion, warm coke is good for it, and I think hot chai tea and stuff of that nature

Anya82
03-06-2007, 10:54 PM
coke.. hmm... I'll pass on that one.
maybe the chai tea...

If anyone knows something else, I would appreciate your posts.

Markus
03-06-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure about something other than medicine for a head ache though.

I always like to lay down with a cold wash cloth on my forehead but thats just me.

Markus
03-06-2007, 10:56 PM
yea I don't like the warm coke either, but supposeably it coats the stomach.

Chai tea is yummy.

good luck

Little_Miss_1565
03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Ginger tea is great for upset stomachs. Throw some ground ginger in a cup of hot water, stir, and ta-da.

Peppermint oil helps relieve headaches. If he dabs a bit of that on his temples, it should help.

Hope that helps.

UgLy_eLf
03-07-2007, 12:42 AM
I drink apple juice, I've been sick and vomity all week and it works for a little while for the pain and intense pukey feeling.

Whiplash
03-07-2007, 12:45 AM
I just usually try to trow up, the sickness is usually gone by then.

But don't take my word, wait for bella's reply.;)

Sin Studly
03-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Something that is not a pill or any medicine, of course.

If it's not drugs, it doesn't work. That's a scientific fact the Chinaman lobby doesn't want you to know.

JoY
03-07-2007, 01:01 AM
he's sick? what's the matter & what kind of medication is he taking? antibiotics I'm guessing? is he taking Zithromax by any chance?

let him stay away from caffeine (tea with caffeine, coke & coffee), cigarettes, alcohol (with both antibiotics & NSAIDs you shouldn't drink any alcohol anyway), spices & fatty food. food that's easy to digest is advicable. eating slowly, taking small bites & chewing everything to mush works too. these are all things that I know work for sure. it's not adding anything to his medication, it's avoiding certain things, so it's no hassle. well, except if you're a badly addicted smoker.

lemon & peppermint may help, but if you're to use peppermint-/lemontea, make sure there's no caffeine in it. lemonjuice in some slightly warm water often helps a little bit.

a cold, or mildly warm wash cloth indeed is an easy way to relieve the headache a bit. it doesn't always work. there are pillows with cherry pits that you can heat up in the microwave & that relax the muscles in the neck, which may take some of the headache away.
without medication basically all you can do, is relaxing muscles to relieve a headache. muscles of the face/head & neck. & again, avoiding some things that could make it worse, like coffee (again), any bright light & screens (that's like staring straight into a light source); tv, computer, game-thing..

Edit: whatever you do, don't give him aspirins. aspirin is also a (weak) NSAID & NSAIDs add to the indigestion. a paracetamol would be fine & would also kill the fever a bit, which would make him feel less sick, but you said you don't want to use any pills/more medication.

good luck, babes, & wish him well.

the_GoDdEsS
03-07-2007, 02:10 AM
Caffeine does wonders for headaches usually and is sometimes included in painkillers, but like Bella said, not recommended for stomach. If you want to relieve a headache, best thing would be a good hard neck massage or menthol/cold cloth on forehead. As for stomach, can just stick to ginger or agrimony tea.

And if he has strong side effects, shouldn't he contact his doctor anyway?

JoY
03-07-2007, 07:39 AM
contacting the doc in case of strong side effects (they have to be in proportion, naturally; you shouldn't become sicker from the side effects of your medication, than you already were before ever taking the medication) is well, yeah.. highly recommendable, yes. good point.

paracetamol sometimes has caffeine in them. only very low doses of caffeine can work pain relieving.

Anya82
03-07-2007, 11:28 AM
he did that cold cloth on the neck, and helped him feel better. I also read in the internet that pressuring certain points of the neck helps out with the headache, because it releases endorphines. I did that, and it seems that it also helped a lot.

Bella: yes, he's taking antibiotics.

I think we'll try the Ginger tea, 2 people have posted it, so I guess that might help.

Thank you everybody, we'll keep on trying what you've posted. If somebody knows something else, please post your ideas.

the_GoDdEsS
03-07-2007, 11:56 AM
pressuring certain points of the neck helps out with the headache

I do that with early signs of headache, sometimes when you're lucky it kills it completely or at least relieves temporarily. Back of the neck, just slightly below the skull bones and very hard with your thumbs.

Ginger is good for nausea or feeling sick, agrimony is better when the stomach lining is upset, hurt or irritated.

JoY
03-07-2007, 08:36 PM
ah yes, the side effects, what you told & antibiotics make sense. so which antibiotic is he taking?

but really, if you don't want to feed him any more pills/medication, for the indigestion, try slightly warm water with lemon juice (just like orange juice, with mildly warm water) for indigestion. I used it before breakfast in the days I tried to lose weight. it's a trick I learned from my study; the acid helps in digestion (it basically activates digestion) & the warmth calms your stomach & prepares it for digestion. if you know the chemical reaction, you understand acids are the way to go & caffeine makes digestion skip a step or two along the way. well, you don't really need to study medicine for that, but you just learn to know the stupid details.

PS. whatever it is I post right now, I'm rather fuckingly drunk. I mean what I say & I know what I'm saying, but my ways of wording it may be very muchly off right now.

Bazza
03-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Surely for indegestion you'd want to avoid acidic things like orange juice and go for something more alkaline (to neutralise the over production of stomache acids), for example eat some soap?

JoY
03-07-2007, 08:42 PM
with nausea you wouldn't want to drink pure citrus juices, no. that might be a bit too much & a bit too upsetting to the stomach. just dilute it with mildly warm water.

Edit: I hope you know the problem in indigestion is that food isn't digested. digestion takes place by the production of acids by the stomach. if the stomach doesn't produce enough acids, there's absolutely no harm in helping it a little bit.

Bazza
03-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Obviously this is your field (although I study Chemistry) but I thought upset stomaches were to do with excess acids in the gut? So surely something alkaline to neutralise the effect would do, eg calcium carbonate in indegestion tablets.

JoY
03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
you can have an upset stomach from many things. obstipation, indigestion, too much stomach acid.... those are all possibilities, but you need to seperate those from each other in the anamnesis, because the cause & therefore the treatment are not only different, but sometimes even opposites.

Anya82
03-08-2007, 06:08 PM
JoY: I asked my bf what he's taken, and it's called rifampicina. It's in spanish, I don't know what it is called in english. Sorry :o

Bazza
03-08-2007, 06:17 PM
you can have an upset stomach from many things. obstipation, indigestion, too much stomach acid.... those are all possibilities, but you need to seperate those from each other in the anamnesis, because the cause & therefore the treatment are not only different, but sometimes even opposites.
So is it possible that a lot of people when they have stomache upsets auotmatically assume it's indegestion? Then take the wrong drugs, possibly making it worse?

JoY: I asked my bf what he's taken, and it's called rifampicina. It's in spanish, I don't know what it is called in english. Sorry :o
Is he better yet? If not, I hope he gets well soon, it's never nice feeling ill.

Anya82
03-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks, Bazza. Well, he felt better the other night. But he has to keep up with the medicine for a while, and he might get the headache and nauseas again sometime.

SkunkIt
03-09-2007, 02:07 AM
For the headache, I don't know. But for the indigestion and vomiting (also works for diarreah) get some uncolored rock candy, put about 5 pieces of it into a mug, boil water, mix it with the rock candy in the mug and tell him to drink it while it's hot or at least warm, or it won't work. If you get a chunk of uncolored rock candy. you may have to break it off with a special rock candy breaker or some kind of nut cracker with sharp ends, then put about 5-6 pieces in, depending on how big they are. I am saying this, based on each piece being about half the size of an index finger tip. I also heard it works for dehydration, but i'm not sure if that's true or not.

If he's dehydrated from the vomiting, as weird as it sounds, try Pedialyte. It shouldn't just be for babies, cause that stuff works. It taste horrible, but it works.

Zeall
03-09-2007, 05:53 AM
Best pain relief i use is sleep, it's quite underrated

JoY
03-13-2007, 05:12 AM
So is it possible that a lot of people when they have stomache upsets auotmatically assume it's indegestion? Then take the wrong drugs, possibly making it worse?

I never answered your question, because I haven't been around much, but yes, that happens. =)

Bazza
03-13-2007, 05:16 AM
I never answered your question, because I haven't been around much, but yes, that happens. =)

So then surely it's a really bad idea to sell indegestion tablets freely on shop shelves? I personally only ever take medicine when I really really feel bad, but then how would I know what to take!

JoY
03-13-2007, 05:38 AM
people most often know pretty well what's going on inside their own tummy, when something's wrong.

when having problems with stomach acid (either it doesn't seem to do its job, or there's too much of it), you can try a couple of things. milk is pH-basic & can help your stomach finding a new balance when you produce too many stomach acids, but sometimes it only stimulates the production, or sometimes milk is too pH-basic for the acid climate (don't know how you'd put that into words in English) you have in your stomach at that moment & it gets even more upset.

but a lot more could be going on. the motility of the bowels could be disturbed (faster, or slower than usual), the resorption of water could be abnormal (when eating too little, or too many fibers), production of stomach acids.. the list goes on & on & all these things are connected to each other & give a reaction to the other. therefore, for stomach problems it's better to try to change a couple of things in your diet first & see what the effects are. but everything in small amounts, of course. does a little bit of lemon juice in warm water worsen it? then try a little bit of milk. try eating some fibers, like brown bread. if that's not good, then skip to a banana & some white rice. it's about finding a balance.

for instance, when having problems with diarrhea &/or vomiting, then it's most obvious that you should try to absorb as much as you can, because you're losing fluids & food. so light, salty soup, white rice... anything that makes you retain more water & makes your metabolism a bit calmer & slower. in this context, when feeling burns behind the sternum (chest bone?), it's obvious you're having a reflux of stomach acid in the esophagus & that you should stay away from things like coffee, cigarettes & alcohol. some things are just a lot easier to figure out than others.

I don't know that much about metabolism (I'm no doc, the course about metabolism will be next year) - actually, most stuff I combine from experience & books. I just know that it's better to try to get by without medication first, before buying something from the store. (but everyone knows that, right?) people buying the wrong medication without prescription for themselves does indeed happen way more often than you'd think.