PDA

View Full Version : Ignition and Smash re-mastered?

nightvision
03-13-2007, 02:05 AM
So those 2 albums will be re-released in summer according to www.cdon.com.

Did anyone know about this? It kinda suprised me.

F@ BANKZ
03-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Are you sure that's true? I don't see any need for them to re-master Smash at all.

Llamas
03-13-2007, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't ever buy those. Part of the best things about Ignition is its raw sound and feel. And Smash just doesn't need to be remastered.

nightvision
03-13-2007, 02:23 AM
Ofcourse I can't be sure it's true.

Zee
03-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Wow... seems reliable to me. I wonder how the sound has changed then.

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-13-2007, 03:49 AM
Why don't they remaster "Offspring" then?

Zee
03-13-2007, 03:59 AM
Those both are from Epitaph at least, "Offspring" not.

Bazza
03-13-2007, 04:15 AM
hmm, this seems very odd. Not long ago there was a thread on remastering something. I wouldn't buy these unless they had some sort of bonus features (what would be cool would be if they had any studio footage from then). Then again I probably would end up buying it just to keep the collection complete.

Emily_offspring_fan
03-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Where? I can't find it.

Jojan
03-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Here is the link to CDON's The Offspring page where you can see that it says (remastred) after Ignition and Smash. (http://www.cdon.com/main.phtml?prod=727457&nav=4115&navroot=902&page=product)

I think Epitaph is in charge for the remasturbation (lol!).

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Those both are from Epitaph at least, "Offspring" not.

Indeed

10 Fucks

BuddyHolly
03-13-2007, 11:08 AM
And since Epitaph started to remaster a couple of Pennywise and Bad Religion album this could be true...

F@ BANKZ
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I very much doubt so as Smash is still being sold well to this day, people are still paying good money for the original so why piss around with it. If Smash isn't being re-mastered then it probably means Ignition won't be either. It was also generally the feeling that Ignition sounds good because of its old sound as showen here (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28355) (please no-one bump that thread as it makes me look like a spammer and it's rather pointless to do so, it's just related material).

Peedr
03-13-2007, 11:30 AM
It seems like Epitaph wants to make some cash :mad:. I don't like these things. Why to remaster albums that don't need it. I surely won't buy Smash. I love it's sound, it always brings the mood of the half of 90's. And I would buy Ignition only if it contained Mission From God. That would be awesome.

Grabbal
03-13-2007, 12:42 PM
I'll definantly buy it cause I'm curious and a fan. I can't believe the people saying they wont buy it.

You'll all listen to right??

F@ BANKZ
03-13-2007, 01:11 PM
I'd buy Ignition if any profits go to the band just to be supportive and to check out the new sound and see how it turned out. But i'd probably just download Smash out of curiosity as i don't think it needs anything done to it.

RobinoZombie
03-14-2007, 07:32 PM
And since Epitaph started to remaster a couple of Pennywise and Bad Religion album this could be true...

I Agree....
and maybe epitaph throws in some bonus tracks, or are offspring still in charge of the songs they recorded for the albums on epitaph, cause afi never agreed on putting out their disc with a collection of nitro songs, and it had some bonus songs(might have released them on collections or something) i dont know, just curious

Change the world
03-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Wouldnt they be ALOT diffrent than the originals?

Grabbal
03-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Of course they will if you think about how much his voice has changed during the years, but I've still got my hopes up.

Da Hui
03-16-2007, 10:17 AM
it might not be bad, Mission From God sounded wicked when it was released after being mixed by someone else, so hopefully they can get these to sound even more perfect!

F@ BANKZ
03-16-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't see why people are against it, it's not like you have to listen to it or anything; the idea that it will make the original sound more average is just pure sillyness if you ask me.

ThunderPX
03-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Personally, I think there's not enough bass on Smash anyway.

German Andres
03-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Are you deaf?

ZagmenO
03-17-2007, 06:20 PM

Bad Habit.

F@ BANKZ
06-25-2007, 02:56 PM
TTT

Any news on these yet? There probably won't be but just on the off chance?

Apathy
06-25-2007, 03:09 PM
It was fake.

F@ BANKZ
06-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Bah, Humbug!

lint
06-28-2007, 11:25 PM

Really? I thought Greg's bass was a pretty dominant part of Smash.

Dexter_H
07-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Considering it's on www.shock.com.au I'm pretty sure these albums are true.

Caijs
07-10-2007, 08:56 PM
dexter h is on the ball

ZagmenO
07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
I think we'd hear it on the official site if it were true.

Then again, we heard about Bob Rock on ultimateguitar.com before the site announced it.

Venom Symbiote
07-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Considering it's on www.shock.com.au I'm pretty sure these albums are true.

Dumb du-dumb dumb dumb.

G.Y.X. Kid
07-16-2007, 02:28 AM
eh, might be good. i like the 1999 version of beheaded. obviously when they recorded ignition and smash, they didn't have the production quality that columbia records later provided them. probably won't make much of a difference ...although the background whaoaos in the chorus of forever and a day might turn out to be louder in the new mix. those vocals are definitely necessary to hear.

jacknife737
04-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Although orignally slated for last year, on June 17th, Epitaph will be re-issuing The Offspring's Epitaph debut, Ignition as well as the greatest selling independent record of all time, Smash. Both albums will be completely remastered, and Smash will include a new 24-page booklet.

On the same day, The Offspring also plans on releasing their newest album, Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

http://www.punknews.org/article/28659#991905

Looks like its really happening. I'm still not sure if i want to pay for something that i've already own... although a 24 page booklet is kind of tempting. Is there a huge sound difference between original and re-mastered albums?

ChickenChaser
04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I'll buy them anyway

Cock Joke
04-25-2008, 02:15 PM
I still think this idea is quite stupid.

AND DAT'S COMING FRUM ME!!!

zsk
04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
If this is true,I'm going to buy Ignition at once,smash has a good quality

IamSam
04-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Which is why no one listens to you.

It's not stupid to remaster the back catalog because it causes people to also pick them up with the new album thereby getting the band more money. Not stupid at all...rather smart actually.

zsk
04-25-2008, 02:48 PM
it is not stupid,at example:dirty magic is a great song,but the record is not as good as it has to bee, so the idea is still good

DefaultNinja
04-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Wow, three new Offspring releases right after I've finished all my exams. :D

Ryder1234
04-25-2008, 03:09 PM

thats not saying much then

Cock Joke
04-25-2008, 04:54 PM
thats not saying much then

Whatever you say, Richard Simmons.

randman21
04-25-2008, 08:39 PM
I'll definitely buy these. No question. I mostly listening to Offspring when I'm driving, and having those songs at their clearest and most blastable can only be a plus for me. I'd still keep the originals for the house, or something.

EDIT: Exactamundo, Ninty.

Ninty Man
04-25-2008, 08:54 PM
I'll definitely buy these. No question. I mostly listening to Offspring when I'm driving, and having those songs at their clearest and most blastable can only be a plus for me. I'd still keep the originals for the house, or something.

To show your grandchildren how punk sounded in the early 90's

shanna_guarana
04-26-2008, 05:21 AM
It's not stupid to remaster the back catalog because it causes people to also pick them up with the new album thereby getting the band more money. Not stupid at all...rather smart actually.

yeah, smart, but for them and their budget...for us....pardon...for me...its not quite good idea....ignition's bad quality is its best thing..every time it plays it brings you the feel that you're listening something that's really worth it.....you know what i mean...and when you listen the new remastered thing...it will probably cause the sour taste of new half-mainstreamed shit...like all those are..wherever you are...

ThunderPX
04-26-2008, 06:19 AM
yeah, smart, but for them and their budget...for us....pardon...for me...its not quite good idea....ignition's bad quality is its best thing..every time it plays it brings you the feel that you're listening something that's really worth it.....you know what i mean...and when you listen the new remastered thing...it will probably cause the sour taste of new half-mainstreamed shit...like all those are..wherever you are...

This is the stupidest thing I've heard all day. To me, it sounds like you want bad quality because you think it's "cool" to hate the mainstream.

Zee
04-26-2008, 06:19 AM
I don't know, I'm curious and definitely will buy them. I'm not sure what to expect really, a real change on the sounds or almost the same...

shanna_guarana
04-26-2008, 10:16 AM
This is the stupidest thing I've heard all day. To me, it sounds like you want bad quality because you think it's "cool" to hate the mainstream.

It's not what i meant...the point is that the old one is the real, original thing that remembers you how they had sounded before they got all the money for expensive studios....it's just stupid to remaster the original to make a copy that doesnt worth anything.....like original and fake (repainted) picture...even if the fake one looks better its still fake and cheap....

IamSam
04-26-2008, 10:19 AM
It's not what i meant...the point is that the old one is the real, original thing that remembers you how they had sounded before they got all the money for expensive studios....it's just stupid to remaster the original to make a copy that doesnt worth anything.....like original and fake (repainted) picture...even if the fake one looks better its still fake and cheap....

It's worth it if Ignition doesn't sound like they played through Campbell soup cans.

shanna_guarana
04-26-2008, 10:25 AM
It's worth it if Ignition doesn't sound like they played through Campbell soup cans.

Even if it sounds like that its the real thing man!!!!! it wont be the same pleasure....

drex878
04-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Even if it sounds like that its the real thing man!!!!! it wont be the same pleasure....

True, but I still think it'll be interesting to hear. I guess i'm picking up three Offspring albums on June 17...after final exams, ugh.

IamSam
04-26-2008, 12:53 PM

Then don't listen. I have the originals and am going to buy these so I can hear what they sound like AND so I have actual physical copies.

shanna_guarana
04-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Then don't listen. I have the originals and am going to buy these so I can hear what they sound like AND so I have actual physical copies.

And i probably won't.....although we all like their music, it doesn't have to be that everything they do, make or decide is correct and good....we all know the point of this remastering thing........

brian.offspring
04-26-2008, 05:13 PM
will it be available in south america too ? :confused:

The_BlackSwordsman
04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi, I'm new here in this is my first message on these boards.

I'd like to say I love Ignition and Smash, and the old Offspring sound (before I started hearing their music). But I like this re mastering idea.

As a person that's not able to go to any of their shows (I live in Brazil) I don't hear them singing their old songs nowadays, and I'd really like to hear it. And the new CDs are the answer. :)

brian.offspring
04-26-2008, 05:24 PM
As a person that's not able to go to any of their shows (I live in Brazil) I don't hear them singing their old songs nowadays, and I'd really like to hear it. And the new CDs are the answer. :)

Hey!, i'm sure they're comming back to south america soon (maybe next year)
and maybe with this re-martering of ignition they will sing something like Forever And A DAy, Sessions, Dirty Magic, aaaaaaa i'd love to hear those songs live ;)