PDA

View Full Version : So whose discovered a musician..

arak0r
03-13-2007, 01:56 AM
via myspace? i mean seriously, we all know myspace is a big pos, but ive actually discovered a few musicians, randomly i might add, through it. my three favorite ones are

random german cellist
http://www.myspace.com/huschke

classical quartet, pretty talented group of guys, theyve been around quite a while too!
http://www.myspace.com/kronosquartet

lastly, possibly my favorite of them, this guy is like the jimi hendrix of the ukelele, check out his cover of while my guitar gently weeps!
http://www.myspace.com/officialjakeshimabukuro

good christ. i wasnt talking about bands you discovered that solely exist on myspace. im talking about bands you first discovered thanks to myspace.

wheelchairman
03-13-2007, 03:48 AM
MySpace has done nothing good for music. It's one of the things I hate most about that site.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-13-2007, 03:51 AM
That ukelele guy has spread like wildfire on the 'net. At least he deserves it, unlike most so-called Internet phenomenons. His cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is pretty fuckin' amazing.

khaaaaan
03-13-2007, 04:04 AM
Freezepop.

ninthlayer
03-13-2007, 04:19 AM
Freezepop.
Good man.

Mistah Fab, btw.

DeAtHsTaR
03-13-2007, 06:38 AM
MySpace has done nothing good for music.

You're an idiot. It's the most accessible way for thousands upon thousands of aspiring musicians to be heard. Yes, there's a lot of shit out there. No, you don't have to listen to it.

mrconeman
03-13-2007, 06:51 AM
MySpace has done nothing good for music. It's one of the things I hate most about that site.

Maybe not for music as a whole. But it's done quite a bit for musicians.

I've found a few bands on myspace, and a classical guitarist that I'll more than likely be buying a CD from soon.

wheelchairman
03-13-2007, 11:27 AM
You're an idiot. It's the most accessible way for thousands upon thousands of aspiring musicians to be heard. Yes, there's a lot of shit out there. No, you don't have to listen to it.

No I'm not an idiot. You're an idiot.

That, and all it does is force no talent hacks to spam other people's friendslists. It's so fucking pathetic.

It's created popstars that fucking suck worse than ordinary popstars, rock bands that sound like a mixture of Nirvana and Pearljam, and an assload of 15 year old kids who want to rock out but suck worse than weird al, yet still think they are good.

No, it's done nothing good for music, nothing good for people who like music, nothing good for people who listen to music.

JohnnyNemesis
03-13-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm hardcore for having listened to Freezepop way before they had a MySpace or ever appeared in Guitar Hero.

DeAtHsTaR
03-13-2007, 03:55 PM
WCM, you obviously have never been in a band.

And never done anything good for people who listen to music? Are you seriously implying that no one's ever discovered a band that they lvoe through myspace? It's also an amazing site to promote local shows.

Then again, I'm a supporter of the local music scene. I've set up shows.

Lodat225
03-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Suck a cheeetas' dicccccck!

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
I'll admit I've discovered a couple of excellent bands through MySpace - Queensryche and My Ruin to name two - but I agree with WCM in that far too many talentless hacks spam their bands to shit, unfortunately directly into my inbox.

Do what I do - listen to their music and explain to them how to be better.

coke_a_holic
03-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm hardcore for having listened to Freezepop way before they had a MySpace or ever appeared in Guitar Hero.

Me too.

I heard SuperSprode on another PS2 game (Amplitude) when I was in 7th grade and fell in love. They're unnecessarily catchy.

On topic: I don't really use Myspace to find artists, but only to sample ones that I've heard about in order to decide if they're any good. There are too many bands to list that I've done this with.

wheelchairman
03-13-2007, 04:05 PM
WCM, you obviously have never been in a band.

And never done anything good for people who listen to music? Are you seriously implying that no one's ever discovered a band that they lvoe through myspace?

I've actually been in two bands. I'm just not completely homosexual.

Any band discovered *solely* through myspace likely would've had made a breakthrough eventually, or otherwise something of equal or better value would've made their way eventually.

I mean fuck, there were ways to sample music before myspace. Better ways.

DeAtHsTaR
03-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I've actually been in two bands. I'm just not completely homosexual.

Any band discovered *solely* through myspace likely would've had made a breakthrough eventually, or otherwise something of equal or better value would've made their way eventually.

I mean fuck, there were ways to sample music before myspace. Better ways.

And how would anyone hear a local band that has no other way of getting well known other than playing shows, yet no one goes to them because of lack of promotion?

I have discovered SO MANY bands on myspace, hell, just in Medford and Eugene.

wheelchairman
03-13-2007, 04:12 PM
And how would anyone hear a local band that has no other way of getting well known other than playing shows, yet no one goes to them because of lack of promotion?

I have discovered SO MANY bands on myspace, hell, just in Medford and Eugene.

You don't need to be known or have promotion, to get a show? Nor do you need promotion to get people to come. Generally bands get big because of word of mouth and good networking first. Then they can afford things like promotion.

Faggot bands use myspace. If you want to discover good bands in Eugene, any bar with live music will be a good opportunity. Of course you can't drink yet, but if you could, that's what you would do.

But if myspace is your only sort of fanbase, then you have to admit as an artist that you suck worse than a Medford band.

DeAtHsTaR
03-13-2007, 04:43 PM
You don't need to be known or have promotion, to get a show? Nor do you need promotion to get people to come. Generally bands get big because of word of mouth and good networking first. Then they can afford things like promotion.

Faggot bands use myspace. If you want to discover good bands in Eugene, any bar with live music will be a good opportunity. Of course you can't drink yet, but if you could, that's what you would do.

But if myspace is your only sort of fanbase, then you have to admit as an artist that you suck worse than a Medford band.

I can guarantee that 90% of bands you like have a myspace. Myspace IS word of mouth. I'm always posting bulletins promoting unsigned bands.

Myspace doesn't help bands out? Well, let's take a K-Falls band, My Life in Red. I've known the guys personally for years. Now, MLIR isn't very good. At all. However, through myspace and excessive shows in Southern Oregon, they've built up such a large fanbase that they're recording in Hollywood and are going on a National tour this summer. How are they spreading the word of this tour? Myspace. It's how they advertise all the local shows, and at least 150 people usually show up. For Klamath, that's a fucking huge crowd.

So, they suck, but they've made so many fans through myspace that they're making money. In the end they have the last laugh.

And as you said, how is someone supposed to find bands to listen to if they can't go to bars?

Human
03-13-2007, 04:45 PM
www.myspace.com/ruut (http://www.myspace.com/ruut)

she's wonderful.
oh and...

www.myspace.com/grandbuffet (http://www.myspace.com/grandbuffet)

of course.

wheelchairman
03-13-2007, 04:55 PM
I can guarantee that 90% of bands you like have a myspace. Myspace IS word of mouth. I'm always posting bulletins promoting unsigned bands.

Myspace doesn't help bands out? Well, let's take a K-Falls band, My Life in Red. I've known the guys personally for years. Now, MLIR isn't very good. At all. However, through myspace and excessive shows in Southern Oregon, they've built up such a large fanbase that they're recording in Hollywood and are going on a National tour this summer. How are they spreading the word of this tour? Myspace. It's how they advertise all the local shows, and at least 150 people usually show up. For Klamath, that's a fucking huge crowd.

So, they suck, but they've made so many fans through myspace that they're making money. In the end they have the last laugh.

And as you said, how is someone supposed to find bands to listen to if they can't go to bars?
Where have I said Myspace doesn't help bands out? The problem is the opposite. Only shit bands depend on myspace. This is the rule.

How do they have the last laugh? Why would I even care..?

And duh, the bands I like have myspaces. But they didn't start out as myspaces.

There are other ways to find music. If teens 5 years ago could do it, surely you can figure something out...

Endymion
03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Suck a cheeetas' dicccccck!

did someone say wesley willis?

arak0r
03-14-2007, 12:49 AM
good christ. i wasnt talking about bands you discovered that solely exist on myspace. im talking about bands you first discovered thanks to myspace.

Llamas
03-14-2007, 03:18 AM
I use a lot of ways to hear about new music. Most of what I found out about on myspace sucks... but I've discovered one or two really good acts there. I like to use myspace pages to let other people hear a few songs, since it's usually the easiest way to hear a few songs from unsigned bands. However, I find most of my new music from other people telling me about them (like playing them for me in the car or something), or by going to shows.

Jakebert
03-14-2007, 03:41 AM
I agree completely with WCM.

The bands on Myspace that are worth listening to are generally ones that are already established. The new, smaller bands that use Myspace and Myspace only to promote themselves suck 99.9% of the time. And they annoy the shit out of people by adding strangers to their friend's list and then sending them endless comments about their next show.

So no, I've never discovered music on Myspace. I tried it for a brief while, but realized that the amount of pure shit on there outweights the few good bands, and there's easier ways to discover bands.

Llamas
03-14-2007, 03:48 AM
I will add that I've never searched for music on there. When an artist requests me as a friend, I'll visit their page. Only like twice have I liked what I heard enough to accept the request.

arak0r
03-14-2007, 05:54 AM
ffs. read this.

Endymion
03-14-2007, 08:47 AM
i've discovered a few bands via myspace. not due to ad spamming or anything, but from the page of a band i already like. myspace is also very useful for trying out a band you heard of some other way -- such as via last.fm. much easier to stream a couple songs and see how you like them than to try to find an mp3.

also (@ thread title):
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/grammar.jpghttp://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/grammer.jpg

arak0r
03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
i've discovered a few bands via myspace. not due to ad spamming or anything, but from the page of a band i already like. myspace is also very useful for trying out a band you heard of some other way -- such as via last.fm. much easier to stream a couple songs and see how you like them than to try to find an mp3.

also (@ thread title):
http://www.csulb.edu/%7Erjames/classic/grammar.jpghttp://www.csulb.edu/%7Erjames/classic/grammer.jpg
i made an edit to it before anyone saw it, but couldnt fix it :P

ZagmenO
03-14-2007, 07:54 PM

Offspring has a myspace thing.

WebDudette
03-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Das Oath
XO Skeleton
Some Girls
Holy Molar
Neon Blonde
Mirah
Yacht
Heavens
The Chinese Stars (also from Endy I think.)
Three One G Records (which in turn introduced me to a shit load of bands.)
Ladytron (also from Rick.)
The Blow (also from Rick.)
Freezepop (after I played Guitar Hero.)
These are ones I can remeber without checking, Im sure there are others.

I find most bands by going to a bands page that I already know and looking at there friends.
Also, you can make it so bands can't send you mail I believe.

0r4ng3
03-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Zag - The difference is that they were well established and popular well before MySpace even existed. They'd be fine without one.

H1T_That
03-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Freezepop are on guitar hero??

selloutz.

JohnnyNemesis
03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
ghey selloutz.

endlesst0m
03-15-2007, 04:31 PM
The only way I can see Myspace giving bands an advantage that didn't previously exist is the fact that it's quick and convenient. You don't have to steal the songs on Limewire, or wait for them to download...if a band catches your interest, you can just go to thier page and hear them right away. Then again, sites like Purevolume (which came before Myspace, I think) also offer this. But I think it's important to realize that since nowadays almost every band has a Myspace, each individual band is competing with thousands upon thousands of other bands for listener's attention. It's like being a small fish in an ENOURMOUS fucking pond that gets bigger everyday.

So overall, I'd say Myspace only helps new bands to be discovered a very little bit, only because the site is so convenient.