PDA

View Full Version : MTV sues YouTube

Biggest offspring fan
03-14-2007, 09:20 AM
So everyone knows that google bought YouTube for a huge amount of money. So now MTV got tired at YouTube for not respecting the copyright laws so they decided to sue YouTube on 1 billion dollars. (7 billion swedish kronor)

''Viacom, which owns MTV and Nickelodeon, says YouTube uses its shows illegally.

Viacom alleges that about 160,000 unauthorized clips of its programmes have been loaded onto YouTube's site and viewed more than 1.5 billion times.

Google says it is "confident" that YouTube has respected the legal rights of copyright holders.''

Read the whole article HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6446193.stm).

This sux pretty much for google cause they just bought the site and now they gets sued. But a billion dollars won't be a problem for the biggest search site in the world.

This may be the reason to that i cant find the video with dexter and noodles at the secret mtv gig. It says that it has been deleted.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42677000/jpg/_42677999_mtv203b.jpg

Nina
03-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Hm, I dunno.

I think you cant really stop the Internet anymore. So why dont these big companies promote their stuff like that instead of banning it and sueing people who upload it on YouTube?

HornyPope
03-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Because lawsuits are profitable.

Lars
03-14-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm curious why the title is mtv and not viacom? There's also other channels /brands missing from the list.

I wonder how it will work out. Obviously they didn't bother with any suit until youtube had some money behind it.

I'm don't even think I've watched a viacom clip on youtube.

Biggest offspring fan
03-14-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm curious why the title is mtv and not viacom?

Cause more people know what MTV is, some retards won't understand if i wrote Viacom. Does it matter anyway?

Lars
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
I guess, not. I just disliked the myspace generalisation when Intermix was bought. Thinking of the situation anyway, there's probably more Comedy Central content on youtube that breaches the problems compared to mtv.

anyway, viacom owns the following list on wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Viacom

Grabbal
03-14-2007, 02:24 PM
They have banned me so I couldn't care less.

Lodat225
03-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Suing is for the weak.

H1T_That
03-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Good on them. Its easy money.

Llamas
03-14-2007, 04:49 PM
...and we all know MTV needs more of that, right? So lame on MTV's part.

H1T_That
03-14-2007, 04:51 PM

If you don't need money, that doesn't mean you shouldn't still get it. Youtube does breach copyright, so they deserve to be sued.

Lodat225
03-14-2007, 05:39 PM
But is it their fault that users upload copyrighted material?

JohnnyNemesis
03-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Partially, but whenever multi-million dollar corporations whine about this shit I feel fucking sick.

OH NOEZ!!! NOEZ! POOR VIACOM!

They can suck my cock.

Lodat225
03-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Partially, but whenever multi-million dollar corporations whine about this shit I feel fucking sick.

They can suck my cock.

Partially? In what way? I see alot of videos deleted off of YouTube due to Copyright. They're doing what they can.

JohnnyNemesis
03-14-2007, 05:48 PM
I mean partially only in the sense that they created this site and do nothing to protect copyright unless threatened. But it's still bullshit.

WebDudette
03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
This sux pretty much for google cause they just bought the site and now they gets sued. But a billion dollars won't be a problem for the biggest search site in the world.

1 billion dollars is a ton of money no matter who you are.

Endymion
03-14-2007, 06:30 PM
viacom is fucking retarded, youtube is free promotions for all their stuff.

with the internet, all the old markets need to adapt or die. looks like a lot of them have chosen to die.

Little_Miss_1565
03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Good on them. Its easy money.

Actually, MTV DOES need it. YouTube is eroding MTV's corner on the marketplace. MTV/Viacom is so deeply in debt right now that there was just a massive, massive round of layoffs.

Bazza
03-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Surely rather than a series of lengthy courtcases in which the only winners will be lawyers it would be easier to set up an agreement a long the lines of pay-per view for the content. That way MTV makes money off Youtube's popularity. I wouldn't mind paying a subscription charge for Youtube, as long as it wouldn't be extortionate.

Llamas
03-15-2007, 03:01 AM
viacom is fucking retarded, youtube is free promotions for all their stuff.

with the internet, all the old markets need to adapt or die. looks like a lot of them have chosen to die.

I agree. MTV is acting like babies about this instead of trying to look at it from another angle.

Actually, MTV DOES need it. YouTube is eroding MTV's corner on the marketplace. MTV/Viacom is so deeply in debt right now that there was just a massive, massive round of layoffs.

If MTV didn't blow so much, I might care more. They don't even play music videos anymore... just shitty TV shows.

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-15-2007, 03:15 AM
Did you expect MTV not todo anything?

Llamas
03-15-2007, 03:17 AM
Me? When did I say they shouldn't do *anything*? Suing isn't the only option.

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Me? When did I say they shouldn't do *anything*? Suing isn't the only option.

Not just you, everyone who's commented

Llamas
03-15-2007, 03:22 AM
Most people have not implied that they expect MTV to do nothing. Many people have suggested other courses of behavior, or something similar.

Offspring-Junkie
03-15-2007, 05:45 AM
As long as I can use youtube for free, I don't care about it.

Lodat225
03-15-2007, 04:31 PM
I agree. MTV is acting like babies about this instead of trying to look at it from another angle.

If MTV didn't blow so much, I might care more. They don't even play music videos anymore... just shitty TV shows.

That's why there's "MTV Hits".

Idiot.

Bazza
03-15-2007, 06:03 PM
That's why there's "MTV Hits".

Idiot.

TBH even MTV "so called" Hits is going down the drain. Fuck it, if MTV are making a loss then rather than sue they should devise a way of profitering of Youtube.

coke_a_holic
03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
They've angered our Google overlords and now they shall feel the wrath.

Lodat225
03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
TBH even MTV "so called" Hits is going down the drain. Fuck it, if MTV are making a loss then rather than sue they should devise a way of profitering of Youtube.

Yeah, i know. I don't watch it at all. Even Fuse is shit now.

Bazza
03-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah, i know. I don't watch it at all. Even Fuse is shit now.

So fuck it lets jus get rid of mtv alltogether, no one even watces it....

Endymion
03-15-2007, 10:24 PM
hint: music television stations cater to the lowest common denominator.

Sin Studly
03-16-2007, 03:37 AM

Pfft, what would you know? Viacom is a big corporation, and is therefore amazingly rich and can afford to buy anything at anytime. How dare they try to stop us from stealing the services they provide?

Obviously you know nothing about economics.

whenever multi-million dollar corporations whine about this shit I feel fucking sick.

They can suck my cock.

This is the attitude you need to have, Sarah. First and foremost, you need to understand that economics are inherently evil, and anybody with more money than us got that money by exploiting people by forcing them to work in jobs just so they can have enough to eat. Anarky.

wheelchairman
03-16-2007, 06:57 AM
How is MTV losing money off this? Has it made it more difficult to sell commercial space? I mean what's the difference? None of us have ever paid for music videos. Well I suppose through cable subscriptions, but I figured that wasn't where mtv made the bulk of there money.

Sin Studly
03-16-2007, 08:02 AM
How is MTV losing money off this? Has it made it more difficult to sell commercial space? I mean what's the difference? None of us have ever paid for music videos. Well I suppose through cable subscriptions, but I figured that wasn't where mtv made the bulk of there money.

If less people are watching MTV, then it's obviously going to make it more difficult for them to sell commercial space at the same prices.

HornyPope
03-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Who cares if MTV/Viacom makes money or not?

Whiplash
03-16-2007, 08:12 AM
ehmmm..... mtv and viacom care....

Thats why there doing this, the rest of the world couln'd give a fuck.

wheelchairman
03-16-2007, 08:32 AM
If less people are watching MTV, then it's obviously going to make it more difficult for them to sell commercial space at the same prices.

Personally I think it would be very hard to prove that youtube is stealing from mtv then. The majority of programs on mtv do not include music videos...

Llamas
03-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Personally I think it would be very hard to prove that youtube is stealing from mtv then. The majority of programs on mtv do not include music videos...

I was trying to say that earlier. MTV barely ever plays music videos. Where exactly is the loss?

Nina
03-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Where exactly is the loss?

Maybe the people who leave MTV on to catch a few music videos every now and then. But even that is picayune, for MTV probably has its most viewers during their (shitty) TV show type of things.

Lodat225
03-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I was trying to say that earlier. MTV barely ever plays music videos. Where exactly is the loss?

They have a whole channel devoted to videos ... 24/7!

Bazza
03-17-2007, 02:18 AM
^Of which all is shit. The only good MTV channel is MTV2, and that's at a push.

Llamas
03-17-2007, 04:09 AM
They have a whole channel devoted to videos ... 24/7!

But I've had cable for the past 3 of 4 years, and I've never had that channel.

Nina
03-17-2007, 04:33 AM
Wait, what channel is that? I want it.
We dont have cable :[

Lodat225
03-17-2007, 05:40 PM
It's called MTV Hits. Ask for it or something, but like Baaza said, it is shit.