PDA

View Full Version : Finnish parliament election last night

Vera
03-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Fuck fuck fuck.

Right-wing governments for the fucking fail. Okay, Right-Centre.. But still. At least the party I voted (Green!) gained half a percent from the last election but mehhhhh.

Read more about it..

On BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6463465.stm

Finnish source in English (http://www.hs.fi/english/article/SUNDAY+EVENING+2355+ELECTION+SPECIAL+-++BIG+GAINS+FOR+OPPOSITION+NATIONAL+COALITION+PART Y+SDP+SUFFERS+DEFEAT+AT+POLLS+/1135225916469)

National Coalition Party's election campaign drove me NUTS, too. They were selling hope. Yes, HOPE. WTF. Those ads were so annoying to see around.

PS. I can't believe Niinistö got 60,000 votes. HEY GRANNIES, he won't sleep with you no matter how much you vote for him!

Llamas
03-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Nobody cares about Finnish politics! :P Did I tell you I learned some Finnish, though? Yes, I'm that awesome.

Anyway, from what I gathered, the conservatives won the election? I thought people in Finland were generally pretty liberal. Maybe I just keep meeting liberal ones, haha. Though you voted green, who did you like better between the democrat and republican?

Vera
03-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Dude, I know that was a joke but right now I'm sort of pissed off so if you could refrain from implying my country's politics don't mean shit because they don't affect the global scene much, that'd be great thanks.

[/touchy]

Well, I don't really know how conservative Kokoomus actually is. They're more right-wing, economics > alles type of jazz party. Keskusta is more conservative, I'd say.

I voted Green cuz I luvs teh pot, man! Just kidding. America's two-party system always appears like the lesser of two evils choice to me, I guess I'd go for Democrat.

Llamas
03-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Sorry, I always joke about that with my Finnish friends... usually they're the ones to bring it up... I wasn't actually implying that they don't matter, because I actually am interested in Finland.

Anyway, maybe I misunderstood the article. I'll have to reread it. But I thought it said that the republican candidate won. Yes?

Vera
03-19-2007, 05:58 AM
...I assume by Republican you mean right-wing? Hmm. Okay, lemme break it down.

Keskusta = the Centre party, that maybe leans slightly towards right-wing. It won by a tiny tiny difference.

Kokoomus = National Conservative Coalition Party, won because they made it from the opposition into being one of the parties that form the government. Biggest right-wing party in Finland.

SDP = Social-Democratic Party, used to form the government along with Keskusta, the biggest left-wing party (though some argue it's left-wing only in name).

These are Finland's "big three". Kokoomus has usually been in the opposition but now that it won the election, the left-wing SDP will be the opposition.

The rest are "small parties", currently most important ones are Vasemmistoliitto (the more 'radical' left-wing party) and Vihreät (Green Party).

The percentages of the votes:

KESK 23.1%
KOK 22.3%
SDP 21.4%
VAS 8.8%
VIHR 8.5%

Zee
03-19-2007, 02:50 PM
PS. I can't believe Niinistö got 60,000 votes. HEY GRANNIES, he won't sleep with you no matter how much you vote for him!

Yeah, that was nuts. I don't know, maybe he deserved it, he seems like a good guy. Ainaki joku äänesti sitä sillä perusteella ku se jakeli ilmasia drinkki-lippuja jossain. I'm really poor knowing anything about politics though... I voted for Mieto, he was the vote-puller here. Mietaa tuloo ja ny menöö. ;)

Did I tell you I learned some Finnish, though? Yes, I'm that awesome.

For why may I ask? You're interested in Finland? You live in Minnesota? Alright, say something beautiful. Slightly off topic but fuck it.

wheelchairman
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
But Finnish politics do not matter. How is that offensive? They don't even matter in Finnland...

Llamas
03-19-2007, 03:49 PM
For why may I ask? You're interested in Finland? You live in Minnesota? Alright, say something beautiful. Slightly off topic but fuck it.

I currently live in Austria, and since here, I've become friends with some Finnish people. I can't say anything beautiful. :P I can say simple things like Kiitos, and Hyvaa yota, Kalat! :)

Vera
03-20-2007, 05:16 AM
But Finnish politics do not matter. How is that offensive? They don't even matter in Finnland...

It's not the size, it's how you use it...

Hahaha, "kalat". That's cute.

Llamas
03-20-2007, 07:22 AM
I can also say Yksi iso olut ja pizza.

I really know all I'd need to get by in Finland, I'm pretty positive.

Vera
03-20-2007, 08:29 AM
What kinda pizza, though?

Finnish pizzas tend to be really bad (the best pizzas I've eaten have been abroad) but if you ever come to Helsinki, I know a place or two.

*also deals pastas*

Llamas
03-20-2007, 08:45 AM
What kinda pizza, though?

Finnish pizzas tend to be really bad (the best pizzas I've eaten have been abroad) but if you ever come to Helsinki, I know a place or two.

*also deals pastas*

my friend described Finnish pizza, and it sounds like it's pretty similar to Chicago style pizza, which I love. I've never met a pizza I didn't love, though. Unless there are mushrooms on it. :(