PDA

View Full Version : Jakebert's Latest BBS Beginners Tip!

Jakebert
03-20-2007, 02:24 PM
I can't believe I missed this one in my original thread all those months ago, but the schizophrenia thread make me think of a very important tip that I missed:

When in an argument with someone, don't use the lame "that's your opinion!" argument as a way to back yourself up. While this argument can make sense in rare cases, I estimate that about 98% of the time it's used, it's used incorrectly by someone who can't back up their own argument, so they trot this out as if it means that they're above criticism. Most of these people get the words "opinions" and "things I presented as facts" mixed up, and that makes for stupidity.

Plus, even though your parents have been telling you the exact opposite, some opinions are ignorant and dumb. For example, in a discussion about books, someone saying "I think that the Da Vinci Code is the greatest book ever!" has a very ignorant opinion. It's not that it's a horrible book, it's just that saying the Da Vinci Code is the greatest book ever written is about the same as saying that American Idiot is the greatest album ever recorded. It reeks of shallowness and inexperience in the subject at hand.

And that is Jakebert's Latest BBS Tip for Beginners.

Whiplash
03-20-2007, 02:26 PM
What would the bbs be without you....

RickyCrack
03-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, that's your opinion.

<3

Stranger With Candy
03-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Jakebert is the greatest member ever!

JohnnyNemesis
03-20-2007, 02:33 PM
*generally agrees*

Amiralanal
03-20-2007, 02:35 PM
How come everybody start their own fucking columns on the bbs?

i know there is something called ''motaboys thought of the week'', are you gonna start your own thing too?

How about:

Amiralanalīs weekly ''What pisses me off''

This week, people who start their own columns.

killer_queen
03-20-2007, 02:36 PM
B-but Jake, American Idiot IS the greatest album ever. :(

JohnnyNemesis
03-20-2007, 02:37 PM
How about:

And every single one of yours would mention cheeseburgers repeatedly.

Jakebert
03-20-2007, 02:41 PM
How come everybody start their own fucking columns on the bbs?

i know there is something called ''motaboys thought of the week'', are you gonna start your own thing too?

How about:

This is a follow up to a thread I did a while back, not a column. But I can see why you'd be annoyed with users who actually are worth while to read. It must be hard on people like you.

And to JN, Candy, and Ricky: ilu2lol.

Killer Queen- the sad thing is that about 2 years ago, I might have agreed with that. I hate 15/16 year old Jakebert.

Amiralanal
03-20-2007, 02:45 PM

Dont get me started. The cucumber-slice! What the hell is that about?!?!
Everybody i know remove the slice, it destroys the whole burger! McDonalds could like save zillions if they stopped using cucumbers in their food.

This is a follow up to a thread I did a while back, not a column. But I can see why you'd be annoyed with users who actually are worth while to read. It must be hard on people like you.

well, thats YOUR opinion

RickyCrack
03-20-2007, 02:46 PM

I think the point of his "column" would be what pisses him off, which obviously is not cheeseburgers (he loves them.)

0r4ng3
03-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Everybody i know remove the slice, it destroys the whole burger! McDonalds could like save zillions if they stopped using cucumbers in their food.Wouldn't kill you to eat a vegetable once in a while, fatass.

Anyway, that's a good beginner tip, Jakebert. You should add it to the initial thread and then bump it. There are too many people here who need to see it.

RickyCrack
03-20-2007, 02:47 PM
We get it, we get it. He hates vegetables.

Amiralanal
03-20-2007, 02:49 PM
We get it, we get it. He hates vegetables.

No i dont. I just hate vegetables in my cheeseburgers. Does cheese count as a vegetable?

MrJoe
03-20-2007, 02:54 PM
B-but Jake, American Idiot IS the greatest album ever. :(

I knew someone was going to say that ;)

RickyCrack
03-20-2007, 02:54 PM
do you hate cheese?

Amiralanal
03-20-2007, 02:55 PM
do you hate cheese?

No i dont. (10)

RickyCrack
03-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Then obviously it's not a vegetable.

JohnnyNemesis
03-20-2007, 03:02 PM
I think the point of his "column" would be what pisses him off, which obvious is not cheeseburgers (he loves them.)

The absence of cheeseburgers would be what pisses him off!

It's called a pickle, and it's delicious.

...that's MY opinion anyway.

Amiralanal
03-20-2007, 03:14 PM
It's called a pickle, and it's delicious.

...that's MY opinion anyway.

The pickle sticks real good tho walls and windows.

wheelchairman
03-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Ah jakebert, truly a diamand in the rough of this bbs.

I really do enjoy looking at the new "generation" of bbs users.

Llamas
03-20-2007, 03:35 PM
amiralanal is so boring, whiny, predictable, etc. The difference between mota's or jakebert's threads and ones you would make is that theirs are interesting and get several pages of replies from many members, where yours are/would be the same three boring people talking about boring things for maybe one page.

ruroken
03-20-2007, 03:39 PM
For example, in a discussion about books, someone saying "I think that the Da Vinci Code is the greatest book ever!" has a very ignorant opinion. It's not that it's a horrible book, it's just that saying the Da Vinci Code is the greatest book ever written is about the same as saying that American Idiot is the greatest album ever recorded. It reeks of shallowness and inexperience in the subject at hand.

That's just being arguementative though, because saying such-and-such is the greatest thing ever is merely an expression, as there is no greatest thing in anything. Sure, its ignorant, but the opinion changes when something comes along that they think is better, therefore changing the subject of the expression.

RickyCrack
03-20-2007, 03:41 PM
lol, you liek anime.

Lodat225
03-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Rickycrak, pokemon is anime. lol, idiot.

Paint_It_Black
03-20-2007, 08:59 PM
I really do enjoy looking at the new "generation" of bbs users.

Me too. But where do you draw the line between the two? Who is part of the BBS TNG and who is TOS? Personally, I'm waiting for BBS DS9.

wheelchairman
03-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Most of the people who joined during this incarnation of the bbs I consider to be bbs TNG.

BBS DS9 will be a travesty. :(

Whiplash
03-21-2007, 02:13 AM
Were do i fit in? Pathfinder wasn't here that long, just a couple of month's.
Whiplash, was here allot longer:P.

Paint_It_Black
03-21-2007, 03:00 AM
Were do i fit in?

Sissykicking competitions, evidently.

BBS DS9 will be a travesty. :(

Heathen.

Whiplash
03-21-2007, 03:00 AM
Dude, to easy man.

Paint_It_Black
03-21-2007, 03:05 AM
It's 5am where I'm at, go kick yourself.

Whiplash
03-21-2007, 03:17 AM
Hahaha, In that case i understand, It's almost noon here.
But i'm at school right now. :(

Amiralanal
03-21-2007, 03:18 AM
amiralanal is so boring, whiny, predictable, etc. The difference between mota's or jakebert's threads and ones you would make is that theirs are interesting and get several pages of replies from many members, where yours are/would be the same three boring people talking about boring things for maybe one page.

Thats because i dont spend more than 2 minutes on one post. I have other things to do.

Jakebert
03-21-2007, 03:25 AM
Just because you're not making long posts doesn't mean that you're not on the board, idiot.

Vera
03-21-2007, 03:59 AM
I think it depends on context. I often get all fangirly and excited over the weirdest things and start claiming they're the BEST.THING.EVER. - or the best of their kind or something. It's an exaggeration that I find I most associate with my English language use. In English you say so easily, "I love ice cream" without meaning you want to marry ice cream and have its babies and commit to it forever. I find the language is sort of the language of exaggeration. I can say "best ever" (paras ikinä!) in Finnish, too, but not really as easily.

I ramble.

It also depends on how you back it up. If you can find intelligent-sounding arguments for why Da Vinci Code is the best book ever, I'll listen and consider. It's an unpopular opinion but I generally don't enjoy elitism so that only a certain small group of literary classics can be, by definition, considered the best book ever, it makes sense but doesn't sit well with me.

PS. Plz reply with "that's just your opinion".

Amiralanal
03-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Just because you're not making long posts doesn't mean that you're not on the board, idiot.

what are you talking about?

the_GoDdEsS
03-21-2007, 07:32 AM
I think it depends on context.

That's what I was thinking. I understand it would be silly if somebody meant it, but if you just exaggerate it just because you find something awesome, why not?

People also need to learn to ignore this particular Swede. And Whiplash is paying too much attention to himself and the perception of his person on this board again. Seriously, let it go.

Whiplash
03-21-2007, 07:39 AM
And Whiplash is paying too much attention to himself and the perception of his person on this board again. Seriously, let it go.

WHa wha what?? I don't really know what you mean by that.

ZagmenO
03-21-2007, 08:26 AM
ZagmenO is the best person in the world.

That's my opinion. :D

Paint_It_Black
03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
In English you say so easily, "I love ice cream" without meaning you want to marry ice cream and have its babies and commit to it forever.

But it's the ice cream's own fault for believing it.

Hate the game.

Jakebert
03-21-2007, 06:01 PM
what are you talking about?

You said that you have better things to do than make long posts, but when you make tons of short posts in almost every thread, you're spending just as much time on the board as the person making long posts. So your argument sucked.

Vera
03-21-2007, 11:25 PM
But it's the ice cream's own fault for believing it.

Hate the game.

This ice cream is NEVER putting out before the 3rd date again. :(

Fat Boy Samsam
03-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Jakebert - stop being such an idiot. Seriously, you are posting your opinion and trying to pass it off as a fact!!! and this time, I am in the 2%.

RickyCrack
03-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Jakebert - stop being such an idiot. Seriously, you are posting your opinion and trying to pass it off as a fact!!! and this time, I am in the 2%.

The 2% that's totally gay, amiright? lololololololol

Jakebert
03-22-2007, 12:10 PM

You're trying way too hard.

Nina
03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
What pisses me off a lot more is when people cant grasp the difference between opinions, facts and beliefs. jaysus.

Llamas
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
What pisses me off a lot more is when people cant grasp the difference between opinions, facts and beliefs. jaysus.

opinions and beliefs are the same!

Paint_It_Black
03-22-2007, 03:41 PM
opinions and beliefs are the same!

A belief is an opinion that you can't supply any good reason for having.

wheelchairman
03-22-2007, 03:51 PM
PIB she's referring to this debate with Killer Dwarf. (good reading if I do say so myself)
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26400&page=2

It really starts at post 66.

Vera
03-22-2007, 03:53 PM
A belief is an opinion that you can't supply any good reason for having.

I believe you suck cock.

Fat Boy Samsam
03-22-2007, 04:12 PM
You're trying way too hard.

You've created a thread to share your lame arse tips.... and I'm trying too hard :rolleyes:

JohnnyNemesis
03-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I believe you suck cock.

My opinion is that you suck cock. Please come make my opinion a belief.