PDA

View Full Version : I just discovered Dropkick Murphys

Paint_It_Black
03-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Please don't move this, I don't wanna go to other bands :( :( :(

I'm playing the sampler on Rhapsody right now and I've got to say I'm pretty fucking pleased.

The song that motivated me to make this thread is The Green Fields of France. Probably the best thing to ever have France in it. Unless I'm greatly mistaken, it seems to be referencing Streets of Laredo, which has basically got me seriously wet. I have a feeling it's referencing other songs too...anyone help me out? Yeah, my musical ignorance is showing, I know.

WebDudette
03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
I've only heard "The Warriors Code" but it's a pretty damn awesome album.
The Green Fields of France is probably my favorite song of that album.

JohnnyNemesis
03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
I just discovered Dropkick Murphys

My condolences.

Paint_It_Black
03-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Can you elaborate a bit Rick? Like I said, I've only just started listening to a few of their songs. What don't you like about them?

Dammit, this is definitely going to get moved.

JohnnyNemesis
03-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Ha, actually there's nothing wrong with the band; I was just poking fun. They're good at what they do, but it's not my kind of music. If you like what you've heard, you'll probably like more.

Besides, I've been listening to Nelly Furtado's "Loose" album quite often lately, so take me lightly because I'm a fag :(

ps. Yes, this should be moved, damn you!

Paint_It_Black
03-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Ah, thanks. That was actually a very helpful reply.

I'm kind of a fag for the Irish, so I'm probably going to keep liking it.

My only problem so far is a deep desire for a pint and a cigarette.

T-6005
03-20-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm not that big of a fan but occasionally do enjoy listening to some of their stuff.

Walk Away, Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced, Black Velvet Band and Worker's Song are probably my favorites.

wheelchairman
03-21-2007, 01:35 AM
From the same album as the Green Fields of France (the Warrior's Code), they do an alright rendition of the Auld Triangle. I'm Shipping Up to Boston is great as well. And Captain Kelly's kitchen is good too.

Paint_It_Black
03-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Per, I listened to some of that album earlier and funnily enough I seem to remember hearing and liking all of the ones you mentioned.

T, I'll be sure to check those out. I have a feeling this will be one of those bands where I adore a few songs but don't care too much for the rest. We'll see.

Anything else with an Irish flavour you guys think I might like? I like what I've heard of the Pogues so I think I'll give them a try next.

Bazza
03-21-2007, 02:58 AM
Ever heard of Flogging Molly? They have a similar-ish style to Dropkick Murhpys.

RobinoZombie
03-21-2007, 03:00 AM
flogging molly-HIGLY RECOMMENDED(well you already got the tip)
Fiddler's Green
The Dubliners
Far Isle folk
Dead pets-not so irish but darn good
Street Dogs(former DKM singers new band, which kicks major ass)

Paint_It_Black
03-21-2007, 03:04 AM
Ever heard of Flogging Molly?

Heard of, but nothing more.

Thanks for the suggestions Robino, that should keep me busy.

opivy21
03-21-2007, 04:34 AM
I heard Flogging Molly back in middle school and I thought, "Oh cool, bagpipes and guitars." Then I got really annoyed by all of it. I've tried the Dropkick Murphys, but I just can't listen to any of it.

I have heard that the Real Mackenzies are good, though.

Amiralanal
03-21-2007, 04:48 AM
Please don't move this, I don't wanna go to other bands :( :( :(

I'm playing the sampler on Rhapsody right now and I've got to say I'm pretty fucking pleased.

The song that motivated me to make this thread is The Green Fields of France. Probably the best thing to ever have France in it. Unless I'm greatly mistaken, it seems to be referencing Streets of Laredo, which has basically got me seriously wet. I have a feeling it's referencing other songs too...anyone help me out? Yeah, my musical ignorance is showing, I know.

Hey asshole, why didnt you post this in other bands? You are a fucking idiot. Are you better than the rest of us, so you dont have to pay attention to the forum rules?

Llamas
03-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Richard, I have five of DKM's albums, and three of Flogging Molly's. If you'd be a sweetheart and actually write me an email, maybe I'd upload some of them for you. ;)

And Ricky, Nelly Furtado is awesomeness, but half of Loose is so bad. :( Folklore was her best album.

And I also am not sure as to why it's okay for Richard to post this in GC and not have to go to Other Bands, while other people's threads would get moved... but it's not worth getting your panties in a bunch, fat whiny boy.

Amiralanal
03-21-2007, 05:00 AM
as to why it's okay for Richard to post this in GC and not have to go to Other Bands, while other people's threads would get moved... but it's not worth getting your panties in a bunch, fat whiny boy.

Of course it is. I hate the 1337-mentality that some members have

Llamas
03-21-2007, 05:08 AM
Just wait and see what the mods say about it before you freak out.

JohnnyNemesis
03-21-2007, 07:58 AM
And Ricky, Nelly Furtado is awesomeness, but half of Loose is so bad. :(

I know! Half of this album is unspeakably bad and half of it is so incredibly awesome. I hate the cloying whiny bullshit on the album: just give me fun disposable pop to dance to because that's what I came for.

Llamas
03-21-2007, 08:33 AM
haha, we might like different halves of the album. I like Afraid, Maneater, Promiscuous, No Hay Igal, Te Busque, Say it Right, In God's Hands, Wait For You, All Good Things, and Somebody to Love. The rest are trash. Showtime sounds like a JLo wannabe song... worst one of all. I really liked Folklore... there wasn't a dance song on it, but it was just damn good.

JohnnyNemesis
03-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I love Afraid (despite its embarrassing lyrics), Maneater, Promiscuous, No Hay Igual, Do It, Glow, Wait For You, and Somebody to Love...and hate the rest. You're a faggy fag fag fag for liking In God's Hands, you fag.

ninthlayer
03-21-2007, 08:53 AM
You know who loves Dropkick Murphys?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b46/penguinfites/sisterfister.jpg

F@ BANKZ
03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Dropkick Murphey's do ass kick, i almost got to go see them once but there's a little story to that. Anywho, my brother is basically the biggest Murphey's fan ever (no exaggeration) and he say that Do Or Die was by far the best album and to reccomend it to you, i've listened to it afew times over and it really is very good indeed.

Llamas
03-21-2007, 09:45 AM
I love Afraid (despite its embarrassing lyrics), Maneater, Promiscuous, No Hay Igual, Do It, Glow, Wait For You, and Somebody to Love...and hate the rest. You're a faggy fag fag fag for liking In God's Hands, you fag.

I'd argue that In God's Hands sure is faggy, but Glow is equally faggy. So let's be fags together, yes?

mrconeman
03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
They're a fun band. I don't know much by them, pretty much just "Kiss me I'm shit faced". I've heard a few others that my friend plays on his radio the odd time.

I'm not too fond of them, being American I just don't think they do Irish music as well as the Irish. The Pogues, the Wolfe tones and The Dubliners ftw.

ruroken
03-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Everything by Flogging Molly sounds exactly the same and I can't get into Dropkick Murphys.

Llamas
03-21-2007, 10:56 AM
They're a fun band. I don't know much by them, pretty much just "Kiss me I'm shit faced". I've heard a few others that my friend plays on his radio the odd time.

I'm not too fond of them, being American I just don't think they do Irish music as well as the Irish. The Pogues, the Wolfe tones and The Dubliners ftw.

That's a given, that they don't do Irish music as well as the Irish, though. I like that they have a hint of Irish, and I think they use it well. I like how Flogging Molly uses the Irish sound more than how DKM uses it, though. Except DKM has the bagpipes... which is sweet at live shows. They do perform really well.

mrconeman
03-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Oh yeah. No doubt. They aren't bad. I'd probably like them more if I tried to get into them a bit.

My friend seen them in 2005 when they backed up The Pogues (which I couldn't go to :( :( ). Said they were very good.

wheelchairman
03-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Flogging Molly is just so much more boring than Dropkick Murphy's and I can't figure out why.

The Pogues are a good start. I've always enjoyed their music. The Wolfe Tones are good folk. I mostly have cheesy stuff like the Dubliners. (the cds cost like 3 dollars a piece, why would I pay for more elitist Irish folk?)

SkunkIt
03-21-2007, 02:42 PM
I agree with Robino Zombie, if you like The Dropkick Murphys, you'll most probably like the Street dogs. you might also wanna try Sham69 and Cock Sparrer, they're really good Oi! bands.

Also, if you're trying more the Irish route, try Shane Macgowan and the Pougues.

I agree with WCM, Flogging Molly is pretty boring.

Sunny
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
ooo. good for you, sir! i love them. and the pogues of course.

regarding flogging molly, they put on the best live show i've ever been to at webster hall. sooo much fun and energy and sexy irish peoplez. >_>
soooo wtf@ everyone who thinks they're boring.

JohnnyNemesis
03-21-2007, 03:35 PM
I'd argue that In God's Hands sure is faggy, but Glow is equally faggy. So let's be fags together, yes?

Fair enough! Glow is superfaggy but I love it so much. Let's fag out together, but be warned: I'm secretly hoping our fag-on-fag action is cancelled out by our boy-girl action and turns into straight-up heterosex.

You fag.

Llamas
03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
ooo. good for you, sir! i love them. and the pogues of course.

regarding flogging molly, they put on the best live show i've ever been to at webster hall. sooo much fun and energy and sexy irish peoplez. >_>
soooo wtf@ everyone who thinks they're boring.

Flogging Molly does put on amazing shows. Like, really amazing.

Fair enough! Glow is superfaggy but I love it so much. Let's fag out together, but be warned: I'm secretly hoping our fag-on-fag action is cancelled out by our boy-girl action and turns into straight-up heterosex.

You fag.

That sounds like too much work. But I'm up for some o' that. Can we listen to Nelly Furtado while we do it??

JohnnyNemesis
03-21-2007, 03:38 PM
We'll listen to "Do It" while we do it because "Do It" is my favorite song. So the answer is yes, we'll listen to "Do It" by Nelly Furtado while we do it.

Llamas
03-21-2007, 03:40 PM
We'll listen to "Do It" while we do it because "Do It" is my favorite song. So the answer is yes, we'll listen to "Do It" by Nelly Furtado while we do it.

That song sux0rz. But it is fitting. Let's do it.

T-6005
03-21-2007, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't go with the Oi! band recommendations. I don't find them at all as good as the Dropkick Murphys. It's just so ridiculously shitty in every aspect that I can't get into it.

SkunkIt
03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Oi! generally sounds like that and is fun to say. Some people won't like it, because it's just Punk working class music. However, everyone loves to say Oi! Oi! Oi!

I however, cannot understand how anyone cannot like Sham69.

Llamas
03-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Oi! is fun, but it's not anything special. It's very hit or miss.

SkunkIt
03-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Oi! I think it really depends what kind of Oi! it is. For example, I don't like The Opressed, they sound like screetching monkeys. Oi!

ZagmenO
03-21-2007, 07:58 PM
HELL YEA!!!!!

Dropkick Murphies are awesome.

Amiralanal
03-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Why havent this thread been moved?

T-6005
03-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Why havent this thread been moved?
To piss you off.