PDA

View Full Version : Lunchmeat, allergies, etc.

nieh
03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
I haven't had any lunchmeat in a very long time (aside from pepperoni I haven't eaten any in a few years). I decided a couple weeks ago to get some so I could pack myself sandwiches for lunch. Every time I've eaten it since then, I've ended up getting a bad headache sometime afterwards (could be an hour, could be later at night). I DO have a tendency to get headaches sometimes so it's very possible it could be coincidence but it seems a little strange to me. Is there anything in lunchmeat that could cause a reaction like this? Someone I used to work with said she was allergic to the preservatives they put in them but I don't remember this ever happening to me when I was younger. I may just not have noticed though, I never was a big lunchmeat person.

Whiplash
03-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Maybe the allergy developed later on, I think the best thing you can do is let a docter check you out.

the_GoDdEsS
03-21-2007, 08:11 AM
When I was small I used to get headaches from menthol candy. I'm still not sure whether it was a coincidence or something, either.

Headaches from lunchmeat sound weird. The only thing I found was:

Some patients have migraines triggered by certain things: hormones, caffeine, drugs, alcohol, irregular sleeping habits, skipping meals, stress, or foods such as aged cheese, chocolate, MSG, red wine, or nitrites (lunchmeat preservatives). Trauma may also bring on a migraine.

http://www.hunterdonhealthcare.org/services/primary_care_wellness/headaches.asp

and

Some folks, however, really are allergic to sulfites or lack the ability to digest them. About 0.001 percent of the population lacks the digestive enzyme sulfite oxidase. These people canít process sulfites, commonly found in foods like lunchmeat, sausage, cheese, dried apricots and even beer. A headache can be one of the symptoms of sulfite allergies.

http://www.winemakermag.com/mrwizard/343.html

God knows if that's reliable though.

nieh
03-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Ok, now here's the million dollar question. Are nitrites used as preservatives in all lunchmeats or just the pre-packaged kind? I bought the pre-packaged kind recently, but when I was younger we actually got it from the deli.

F@ BANKZ
03-21-2007, 09:38 AM
I hear if you cut something out your diet it greatly increases the possibility the you will develop an allergy or unusual reaction to it: Maybe if you re-introduce it into your diet your body will become more used to it and the reactions will stop but please God check that out before you actually go and do it (i doubt you would anyway but just don't)

Maleficent
03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
well usually food allergies cause you to, at best, swell up and have skin reaction, at worst die...

if it gave you only headaches, I'm thinking it's more intolerance...maybe?

nieh
03-21-2007, 11:19 AM
I've never been totally clear on the difference between food allergies and interolances. Thanks to wikipedia, now I know. I'm going to see if I can get nitrate-free lunchmeat. Salami = awesome. We've got a whole foods around here so I'm assuming they would have it there.