PDA

View Full Version : white people like che guevara more than latin americans

calichix
03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
even the .4% of people who rock che-wear and actually know who he is and why they're wearing a stencil of his face are wild about him. I can understand how someone from colombia reading motorcycle diaries might be moved.. but as for everyone else, why that revolution? of all the people in the world to mass produce images of, why che guevara? is it because the photograph of him is such a good one? is it because underneath all that grime che was a stone fox? is it cooler to martyr him because he wasn't docile?

*edit: I should've said latinos in the first place. there you go.

Lodat225
03-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Damn, look at this hot piece of ass:

http://www.nodo50.org/ccoounedmadrid/images/che.gif

calichix
03-27-2007, 11:05 AM
if you saw pictures of him when he was in medical school and bathed you would cream yourself.

JohnnyNemesis
03-27-2007, 11:06 AM
White people/capitalists who like Che annoy the fuck out of me.

Actually, white people who aren't women annoy the fuck out of me.

Lodat225
03-27-2007, 11:08 AM
pfft, been there. done that.

i needed to change my pants twice.

0r4ng3
03-27-2007, 11:11 AM

Actually, white people who aren't women annoy the fuck out of me.
Agreed, and agreed.

Kill whitey!

Sin Studly
03-27-2007, 12:07 PM

I bolded the bits I agree with.

wheelchairman
03-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Personally I like Castro more.

Mota Boy
03-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Che was much more popular in Buenos Aires than any other city I've ever visited. Crowds mobbed Castro when he came, and my teacher at the time waved it away, saying "Oh, nobody really likes Castro. It's just that he knew Che."

It's the death thing. He died before he could be corrupted, died fighting for some crazy-ass idealistic dream to which he gave his all. There's a story that right after Castro and Che's first "assault" on Cuba, when their meager forces just attempting to land on the island were surprised and gunned down, as the two leaders were hiding in the reeds from the government soldiers, Che was talking to Castro about all that they would do when they had taken over the country. And the motherfuckers actually did it. That sorta idealism and force of will, combined with going out in a blaze of glory, is just made for mythologizing.

Jebus
03-27-2007, 04:03 PM
My father idolizes Che and Castro. He's also almost 50 and wears a Che shirt. So yeah, my dad is more trupunx and your dad.

SkunkIt
03-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I was shoe shopping a few weeks ago and I was looking at skateboarding shoes. I saw some red Che shoes, where his face was replaced by a skull. I thought, "What the fuck?" His face is on about just everything now and I see kids with Che shirts on, even though they probably have no idea who he is. Sadly, companies have made another fashion trend out of him.

wheelchairman
03-27-2007, 04:28 PM
capitalists who like Che annoy the fuck out of me.

business owners like che guevara?

JohnnyNemesis
03-27-2007, 04:32 PM
I meant Joe Everybody who loves capitalism and reaps its rewards with his Che shirt on.

wheelchairman
03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
I hate them too. But I also hate the people who call them capitalists :p

It's just so...soviet-empire.com to do that.

WebDudette
03-27-2007, 04:37 PM
I really never understood that. I see it all over the place on hats, belts and shirts. Kind of like the Anarchy stuff that they sell at Hot Topic.

I personally prefer Huey.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/SystemSloth/Huey_che.jpg

wheelchairman
03-27-2007, 04:46 PM
I totally got the wrong Huey.

And then I thought "how dare they turn that Huey into anime. :( :( :("

HornyPope
03-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Che is to hippies what Frank Sinatra is to mainstream America or Jackie Robinson is to Black America. He's just an idol... he did the right things at the right time in front of the right crowd.

Speakeasy
03-27-2007, 05:15 PM
I looooooove capitalism.

Not Ozymandias
03-27-2007, 11:44 PM
http://www.thoseshirts.com/images/shirtsquare-lousy.jpg

I would wear this.

Mota Boy
03-28-2007, 01:35 AM
That needs a better design, but I want it pretty damn badly.

The Talking Pie
03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Someone I went to school with based his entire Art A-Level around Che, but didn't have a clue who he was. He said that he had just saw the picture on the internet and thought it was good. No doubt because the popular version is only two colours and thus easy to change and pass off as 'art'.

mrconeman
03-28-2007, 08:53 AM
I remember when I started seeing these T-shirts/posters/wallets/everythings around a few years ago, and actually not having a clue as to who it was, it didn't bother me, but I never actually owned any of it.

After some learning on who the hell Che Guevara actually was, I realized people are fucking stupid.
Cliche Guevara

Duskygrin
03-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Hasta siempre comandante

*sways*

Aqui se queda la clara
La entrañable transparencia
De tu querida presencia
Comandante Che Guevara

*closes eyes*

calichix
03-31-2007, 08:17 AM
I see your point.

ZagmenO
03-31-2007, 08:18 AM
I don't see what was so great about that guy. He was like a Cuban Hitler in so many ways.

calichix
03-31-2007, 08:33 AM
That's not true.

wheelchairman
03-31-2007, 08:57 AM
I don't see what was so great about that guy. He was like a Cuban Hitler in so many ways.

Explain yourself.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of him before. Can someone explain to me in 100 words or less who he is/was and what he did?

wheelchairman
03-31-2007, 09:02 AM
A middle class med school drop out from Argentina, who travelled around south america by motor cycle. Wasn't a big fan of what he saw and joined Castro (who at the time, was more of a social democrat, so Che was the radical in the group.) And helped with the revolution. Che fell out with the USSR after the revolution and was sent on pointless missions in Africa, and Bolivia where he eventually was killed by the CIA. He couldn't dance very well either.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks. :) I don't know shit about Latin America. :( I know so little about Castro... as in, I know he's the President of Cuba, and that's it (same Castro, right??) Bah.

calichix
03-31-2007, 10:11 AM
jesus christ, lady.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 10:40 AM
What? .

wheelchairman
03-31-2007, 10:47 AM
It's a little impressive that you've never picked up a single fact about south america, but you can find Graz on a map of Austria. :p

And yeah it's the same Castro. His brother Raul Castro died or something. Castro was a law student. Likes long walks on the beaches and gives 5 hour speeches.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 10:52 AM
I know some things about SA, but only things I've talked about with people who are from there. And it seems that they never talk about politics. My friend even moved to Grand Cayman, and she hasn't mentioned one thing about politics there.

It also helps that most of my life, I was raised conservative/christian/republican, and I was raised to believe that Castro was a horrible person, so for those 19 years, I had no interest in finding out more about him... and then I forgot about him.

Oh, and I stay out of 99% of political conversations in real life, and I never watch the news. So. :)

Mota Boy
03-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Castro was a law student. Likes long walks on the beaches and gives 5 hour speeches.At this point, I think it'd be more accurate to say that he likes long drags.

ZagmenO
03-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Explain yourself.

He built this campwhere people had to go, and plenty of them got killed. I don't know much about Che other than that. I probably shouldn't have said "in so many ways." :o But that's about it. The concentration camp thing.

wheelchairman
03-31-2007, 03:24 PM
He built this campwhere people had to go, and plenty of them got killed. I don't know much about Che other than that. I probably shouldn't have said "in so many ways." :o But that's about it. The concentration camp thing.
Like with his own hands? That'd be awesome.

calichix
03-31-2007, 03:25 PM
“Hatred as an element of struggle; unbending hatred for the enemy, which pushes a human being beyond his natural limitations, making him into an effective, violent, selective, and cold-blooded killing machine.”

y

“I feel my nostrils dilate savoring the acrid smell of gunpowder and blood of the enemy.”

Bear in mind though, a lot of terrible things the right wing said about Che (infant killing sprees, etc.) were propaganda.

wheelchairman
03-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Taking wartime/revolution quotes out of context can make any soldier sound strange.

calichix
03-31-2007, 03:31 PM
He was always on Team Violence.

wheelchairman
03-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Naturally. That was what he believed in.

ermdevi@tion
04-05-2007, 01:44 PM
And yeah it's the same Castro. His brother Raul Castro died or something.

Uh, you mean Raul Castro who is the current acting President of Cuba...?

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Didn't one of the Castro's die?

goonadie1day
04-05-2007, 07:12 PM
It's a little impressive that you've never picked up a single fact about south america

Welcome to America. American schools are consumed by America... and nothing else. In my world history class... i learned less about the world than i did in my freshman english class.

Most of what i have learned about the world... is due to the fact i consume myself with it. Politics, that is. This is why America is so damn ignorant... because people aren't exposed to more current shit in history classes.

I mean i learned about HomoSapiens in 5th grade... there was no real point in spending time in a high school class talking about what we already knew. When we could have informed the young pupils about more current things that are pertanant now a days.

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Hardly. I clearly remember having European history and literature. I didn't retain it because it was completely irrelevant to me as a person at that time. Who the fuck would care about Beowolf?

goonadie1day
04-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Hardly. I clearly remember having European history and literature. I didn't retain it because it was completely irrelevant to me as a person at that time. Who the fuck would care about Beowolf?

Im not saying that Beowulf had shit to do with anything... what i mean is that in my personal experience... i gained more knowledge of foreign affairs in my english class than in my world history class. We had discussions over the timelines when the books we were reading and the shit that was happening... thats what im refering too.

punker
04-05-2007, 09:14 PM
nah, one of them is ruling the island while the other dies

and on topic, i know a person from my math class who call himself a marxist and carry around almost all days a really old Che t-shirt, so i think that some people do know who he is, oh!, he also has a 200 dollars cell phone.

Not Ozymandias
04-05-2007, 09:18 PM

We aren't that lucky. Yet.

Thomas
04-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Most of what i have learned about the world... is due to the fact i consume myself with it. Politics, that is. This is why America is so damn ignorant... because people aren't exposed to more current shit in history classes.

History classes are to teach you about what happened in the past. They aren' supposed to teach you current events. For that, you can do like I did and take a Comparative Political Systems class. I learned so much in that class, and I got a C. Imagine if I payed attention...

HornyPope
04-05-2007, 10:57 PM
History classes are to teach you about what happened in the past. They aren' supposed to teach you current events. For that, you can do like I did and take a Comparative Political Systems class. I learned so much in that class, and I got a C. Imagine if I payed attention...

Was your teacher a communist, a nationalist or misc?

wheelchairman
04-06-2007, 05:51 AM
he also has a 200 dollars cell phone.

Then he's lucky he's not a buddhist. ;) Although he should be cause Che shirts are for teens. :(

goonadie1day
04-07-2007, 12:26 AM

Dude... no offence but your a moron. Che Guevara died in 1967... that makes him apart of FUCKING HISTORY. So Thomas... that could/can/and should be taught in history classes. Im talking about shit though, that is a little bit closer to us than the fucking renaissance...

Paint_It_Black
04-07-2007, 12:48 AM
no offence but your a moron.

You're such a waste of space. Lots of space.

ninthlayer
04-07-2007, 01:02 AM
A fat joke I see. Because fat girl is fat.

Fat.

JohnnyNemesis
04-07-2007, 01:22 AM
She shouldn't say things.

Llamas
04-07-2007, 06:14 AM
Sure, in my schooling growing up, we didn't really learn anything about the rest of the world. It depends on the school, Per. In my world history class when I was 14, all we talked about the whole year was the Ottoman Empire. Then the rest of my growing up, we only studied US history... and I learned a little about Canada one year. But I never learned ANYTHING about South America, except the geography (like where each country is on a map, and what the capitals are).

Goona, your argument is horrible. We should stop learning science so we can learn more history? Dear god. And calling Thomas a moron? He was calling you out because you said we should learn "CURRENT" things in a "HISTORY" class. You said that. Moron. And like I said above, it depends on the school. So don't claim that "American schools are consumed with America".

And, while I don't have the best opinion of America, you're being a bit overzealous. America is pretty huge. You can't expect America to really be able to teach as much about the world in addition to all there is in the country, as in a small country. America has a ton of shit to learn as it is. Sure it's not a very old country, but it's huge.

PS science is hugely pertinent currently. Purely ignorant to claim otherwise.

Oh, and I love how you are defending me in this argument (since Per was initially saying he was shocked I didn't know who the guy was...), but in the other thread, you used it against me. Good tactics.

goonadie1day
04-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I mean i learned about HomoSapiens in 5th grade... there was no real point in spending time in a high school class talking about what we already knew. When we could have informed the young pupils about more current things that are pertanant now a days.

Ok after rereading this... i realize why you think i was talking about science classes. I wasnt. My world history class began with us talking about homosapiens... thats what my point was... sorry for the confusion!

Goona, your argument is horrible. We should stop learning science so we can learn more history? Dear god. And calling Thomas a moron? He was calling you out because you said we should learn "CURRENT" things in a "HISTORY" class. You said that. Moron. And like I said above, it depends on the school. So don't claim that "American schools are consumed with America".

And, while I don't have the best opinion of America, you're being a bit overzealous. America is pretty huge. You can't expect America to really be able to teach as much about the world in addition to all there is in the country, as in a small country. America has a ton of shit to learn as it is. Sure it's not a very old country, but it's huge.

PS science is hugely pertinent currently. Purely ignorant to claim otherwise.

Oh, and I love how you are defending me in this argument (since Per was initially saying he was shocked I didn't know who the guy was...), but in the other thread, you used it against me. Good tactics.

Ok... i wasnt talking of science... as posted above. In my school... we took AMERICAN history... so there is no need to learn more about America while we cover World History.

As far as the more current history... i see... oxymoronic phrase... however i was meaning things that have happend in the past century. IN THE WORLD... not just America.

Llamas
04-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Way to skip over an entire paragraph...

goonadie1day
04-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Way to skip over an entire paragraph...

I really dont see how ive defended you in this discussion!

Llamas
04-07-2007, 07:25 PM
That's not the paragraph you skipped.

Learn to read.

goonadie1day
04-07-2007, 07:53 PM
That's not the paragraph you skipped.

Learn to read.

And your point is...? I skipped it... cause i had nothing to say to it. Hence i deleted it from the quote. And besides... World History is NOT American History... two seperate classes.

Llamas
04-07-2007, 08:07 PM
...when did I say that American history and world history were the same? Learn to read.

Melissa_ab90
05-01-2007, 11:42 PM
even the .4% of people who rock che-wear and actually know who he is and why they're wearing a stencil of his face are wild about him. I can understand how someone from colombia reading motorcycle diaries might be moved.. but as for everyone else, why that revolution? of all the people in the world to mass produce images of, why che guevara? is it because the photograph of him is such a good one? is it because underneath all that grime che was a stone fox? is it cooler to martyr him because he wasn't docile?

*edit: I should've said latinos in the first place. there you go.

>I think you've made a superficial appreciation about the importance that we (latin people) give to Ch&#233; Guevara. The leftist movements of each country recognize his work... but everyone knows, the leftist political movement is an ''immense minority'' compared with rightist political movement. The information and ''image'' that mass media sell out about each country is really empty, as far as which it really represents. As well as expressions like ''Americans love Bush'' -Obvious, that's not truth-, but ' ' the world-wide concepts '' about almost all subjects, are moving by majorities. <...

>Thus, about the popularity of Ch&#233;'s Image like a product, then, the revolt sells, and , despite he's a big icon, obvious, he has been affected by the consumption..., starting off an image that certain people want to assume when they wanna introduce themselves to a social gheto or something, almost like the way you raise before.

Human
05-02-2007, 04:24 PM
So, apparently we have a Che guevera refrigerator magnet/finger puppet, and we have for the past 5 years, but my parents have failed to give me an explanation. I don't understand who this guy is.

Lodat225
05-02-2007, 04:35 PM
You don't know who Che Guevera is?!

Human
05-02-2007, 04:41 PM
no.
[[[]]]]

wheelchairman
05-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Well she is 12, and you are the one claiming to be 17-18.

WebDudette
05-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm late and it's really a petty thing to bring up. But I believe I remember Brianna mentioning that Cuba doesn't really effect America and is 900(?) miles away.

For several days we were threatened by Soviet Nuclear missiles on Cuba and to this day we are effected by Cuba. Also, it's only 90 miles from Florida.

I seen a Che polo today at school, it made me lawl. But to be fair the typical picture of Che is a pretty cool looking picture.

calichix
05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
oh, shut up. shut up shut up shut up shut up *rocks back and forth twiddling fingers*

I'm not gonna get into this too much to save me an aneurism. but I will mention that the guy who was supposed to be teaching me about american history 1920s-current (he's the guy who directed vanilla sky :cool: ) was only in teaching to hit on young boys and make them "movie extras" and instead of teaching us he'd put on Platoon and go do lines in the bathroom. yet miraculously I know who people like fidel castro and pol pot are.

if you're a fucktard blame yourself, not public education.

calichix
05-03-2007, 09:35 AM
>I think you've made a superficial appreciation about the importance that we (latin people) give to Ché Guevara. The leftist movements of each country recognize his work... but everyone knows, the leftist political movement is an ''immense minority'' compared with rightist political movement. The information and ''image'' that mass media sell out about each country is really empty, as far as which it really represents. As well as expressions like ''Americans love Bush'' -Obvious, that's not truth-, but ' ' the world-wide concepts '' about almost all subjects, are moving by majorities. <...

>Thus, about the popularity of Ché's Image like a product, then, the revolt sells, and , despite he's a big icon, obvious, he has been affected by the consumption..., starting off an image that certain people want to assume when they wanna introduce themselves to a social gheto or something, almost like the way you raise before.

it's not like all latin people idolize him. it's mostly teenagers. when carlos santana wore a che shirt to some awards show he later publicly apologized. people whose families were brutilized by che's kooks for listening to "imperialist yankee rock" despite their leftists views aren't wild about him simply because it's the leftist thing to be wild about. but it's really the middle class white kids rocking che wear that I'm confused about anyway. :/

wheelchairman
05-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Middle class white kids can be rebels too. No one wants to be stuck, and they'll search for whatever can set them free. However misguided.

calichix
05-03-2007, 11:02 AM
yeah, but why of all people do they choose Che?

JohnnyNemesis
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Cause of what Mota said here:

It's the death thing. He died before he could be corrupted, died fighting for some crazy-ass idealistic dream to which he gave his all.

wheelchairman
05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
That, and because it's acceptable.

I've met people who've chosen Pol Pot and Stalin and Mao. Especially the Pol Pot ones are a little weird.

calichix
05-03-2007, 12:52 PM
I can't stand those people. I think they're just trying to flex their I know about history glutes. As if they know classified information about fascist dictators that makes their causes just. pshka.

wheelchairman
05-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I think they just want to be offensive. Kinda like punk but more nerdy.

fernandopunk
05-10-2007, 03:17 AM
OI!OI!OI!...

Great Mike
05-10-2007, 11:54 AM
OI!OI!OI!...

Laws are cool.

Duskygrin
05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I grew up with that song I quoted earlier. I think all of you know it already, but never mind, fire & brimstone & here I link it:

http://www.savefile.com/files/713742