PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Democrats for the fail

EMehl6
03-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Democrats Pass Legislation Giving Felons The Right To Vote

ANNAPOLIS—The Maryland Senate and House of Delegates have passed legislation to allow convicted felons to regain the right to vote after they have completed their sentences. Currently, Senate Bill 488 and House Bill 554, the so-called Voter Registration Protection Act, appear destined for the desk of Martin O’Malley to be signed into law. The Democrat majority pushed these bills through the legislature and voted down amendments that would have excluded murderers, rapists, and child molesters from this law. Maryland Republican Party Chairman James Pelura had the following comment about this bill:

“The Democrat majority has gone too far in passing legislation to allow convicted murderers, child molesters, rapists, and many other violent offenders to regain the right to vote. All of these convicted felons are people who have rejected our society and civil order. This smacks in the face of law-abiding citizens and victims everywhere.”

What a great fucking idea! Not. O'Malley is gonna take Maryland to the top! Top of the crime rate chart, that is.

wheelchairman
03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
“The Democrat majority has gone too far in passing legislation to allow convicted murderers, child molesters, rapists, and many other violent offenders to regain the right to vote. All of these convicted felons are people who have rejected our society and civil order. This smacks in the face of law-abiding citizens and victims everywhere.”
No it doesn't... I don't see the problem with this.

What a great fucking idea! Not. O'Malley is gonna take Maryland to the top! Top of the crime rate chart, that is.
And this certainly makes no sense. Losing the right to vote is a crime deterrent?

Do you believe people who recieve welfare or financial aid should be allowed to vote?

EMehl6
03-27-2007, 02:40 PM
No it doesn't... I don't see the problem with this.

How do you not see a problem with it?

And this certainly makes no sense. Losing the right to vote is a crime deterrent?

Do you believe people who recieve welfare or financial aid should be allowed to vote?

Well, I don't know about you, but I like having a say in who leads my country and represents my state in congress. And what does criminals not having the right to vote have to do with people on welfare and finacial aid?

wheelchairman
03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
How do you not see a problem with it?
I don't see why committing a crime should set you out of the democratic system. Especially as the tendency is that it gets easier and easier to commit crimes. Besides we shouldn't have anything to worry about until criminals become a majority of our society. And should that happen, we would have to realize that we have other problems....

Well, I don't know about you, but I like having a say in who leads my country and represents my state in congress. And what does criminals not having the right to vote have to do with people on welfare and finacial aid?

I like having a say in who leads my country too. And I would like that too if I was falsely accused on some charge as well. Or if I disagreed with said law, I would still like to vote.

It has to do with deciding who has the right to vote, and when.

RickyCrack
03-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Either everybody can vote, or nobody can vote.

wheelchairman
03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Either everybody can vote, or nobody can vote.

Everybody who's a citizen. Then it boils down to the criteria you must fulfill for citizenship. It's never simple.

Mota Boy
03-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm to understand that once you've served your sentence in jail, you've paid your debt to society and thus should no longer be punished.

Or are you talking about Maryland Democrats that exist in some sort of parallel universe where this isn't the way the US justice system operates? Because then your outrage might make sense. Historically, denying former felons the right to vote has been a tool to disenfranchise poor people and blacks, who tend to vote Democrat. "As frank as I can be,we're opposed to [restoring voting rights] because felons don't tend to vote Republican." - chairman of the Alabama Republican Party.

What a great fucking idea! Not. O'Malley is gonna take Maryland to the top! Top of the crime rate chart, that is.I know that, personally, the only thing preventing me from robbing a liquor store or becoming a serial rapist is the knowledge that, after I get caught and get sent to prison for years, if not decades, that once I get out I won't be able to vote.

In other words, you're so wrong that you're embarrassing yourself.

wheelchairman
03-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I was under the impression it was while they were in prison.

RickyCrack
03-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Everybody who's a citizen. Then it boils down to the criteria you must fulfill for citizenship. It's never simple.

Well of course. But ex-cons are still citizens, and if we're going to take their vote away then we should be able to just as easily take the vote away from women, black people, and the poor. Actually that isn't a bad idea.

Basically I'm saying that if you're a member of the governance, then you should be allowed to vote. As soon as we start picking and choosing who gets to vote or not, then the whole purpose is defeated.

wheelchairman
03-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Wow I thought we were talking about convicts.

It goes without saying that you would of course give them back the right to vote...

Anyways RickyCrack, technically immigrants are a member of the governance. Even the illegal ones. When do we let them vote? Should we? And people like me, ex-pats, I am not affected at all by local governance in Eugene, but I have the right to vote (I didn't). But I have that right.

Mota Boy
03-27-2007, 04:37 PM

Wow I thought we were talking about convicts.
Convicts aren't citizens. You have your citizenship temporarily revoked when you go to jail. I'm perfectly OK with that, because it's the reason that the government is able to deny Constitutional rights to prisoners, such as the rights to vote and bear arms.

JohnnyNemesis
03-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm to understand that once you've served your sentence in jail, you've paid your debt to society and thus should no longer be punished.

Exactly. I'm trying to avoid another "rehabilitation vs. punishment" argument here, because this goes beyond both...but seriously, what the fuck is wrong with these people voting?

Also, think about the difference between convicted criminals and just plain ol' criminals. There are plenty of criminals who just aren't targeted or arrested (WHITE PEOPLE AMIRITE I AM SO RITE!!! [jk, but only sorta]) and I'm talking about both corporate crime and "petty" crime. Do you think they should be allowed to vote, or do you think we need to wait until they're actually caught?

I'm not making sense anymo'.

Not Ozymandias
03-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Democrats Pass Legislation Giving Felons The Right To Vote
Foxnews.com or newsmax?

Paint_It_Black
03-28-2007, 01:00 AM

This really sums it all up.

But don't worry EMehl6, black people don't vote anyway.

RickyCrack
03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Anyways RickyCrack, technically immigrants are a member of the governance. Even the illegal ones. When do we let them vote? Should we? And people like me, ex-pats, I am not affected at all by local governance in Eugene, but I have the right to vote (I didn't). But I have that right.

I wouldn't have a problem with illegal immigrants voting, however, it'd probably be hard for them since they're not technically citizens and therefore don't pay taxes.

wheelchairman
03-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Of course they aren't citizenship. They're illegal immigrants. That's kind of the idea. Everyone in the governance who is a citizen may vote. So that leaves a certain population out of the governance who can't vote.

RickyCrack
03-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Of course they aren't citizenship. They're illegal immigrants. That's kind of the idea. Everyone in the governance who is a citizen may vote. So that leaves a certain population out of the governance who can't vote.

But they can still vote in their own country. It's a bit different for one person to move away to a country where they are aware that they can't vote, and for a group of people inside that same country who's voting rights have been revoked.

Llamas
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Dude, Emehl... you are so tainted. And Notozy's post is spot on, by the way. Emehl, you really need to open up your eyes to more than just the Republican point of view... it's fine (I guess) if you're gonna be Republican, but you really need to stop parading it about like an uninformed moron. I generally like you, but you come across as really stupid in the Politics section of this forum.

Why shoudn't felons be able to vote once they're out of jail? Like mota said, they've already paid their debt. They should leave jail as less of citizens? You probably also support the amendment to make the citizenship test harder... *sigh*

EMehl6
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
But don't worry EMehl6, black people don't vote anyway.

Haha. Win!

I know you all disagree with me here, but I personally think that people that are convicted murders, child molesters, rapists, etc. should not be given back their right to vote after they've served there time. In fact, I think the judicial system is too soft on those types of people at times.

Now things that are on the lower level of the crime tier, yeah, I agree, the right should be given back.

JohnnyNemesis
03-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Could you please explain why you feel those people shouldn't get their right to vote back?

Is it because you think that it is impossible for them to be truly rehabilitated (and as a result you don't trust them with a legitimate political voice), or because you think they should continually be punished even after serving their time by not being allowed to vote?

Or maybe it's both reasons? Or something none of us have mentioned?

Also, who decides what's higher or lower on the "crime tier"? Is the poor person selling drugs on the corner higher on the crime tier than the rich CEO who ruins hundreds of lives at once with his shady business practices? Who the hell are you, or who the hell am I to decide such a thing?

Llamas
03-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Haha. Win!

I know you all disagree with me here, but I personally think that people that are convicted murders, child molesters, rapists, etc. should not be given back their right to vote after they've served there time. In fact, I think the judicial system is too soft on those types of people at times.

Now things that are on the lower level of the crime tier, yeah, I agree, the right should be given back.

Wait, where do we draw the line, then? "You murdered someone... no voting for you! Okay, you just kidnapped a kid, you can vote. Wait, you molested it, too? Okay, no voting. Wait, the kid was hispanic? Okay, you can vote."

T-6005
03-28-2007, 10:15 AM

So who decides and how? You can't arbitrarily draw a line and say that people on one side are lesser once they've paid their debt to society because their debt was greater in the first place.

EMehl6
03-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Dude, Emehl... you are so tainted. And Notozy's post is spot on, by the way. Emehl, you really need to open up your eyes to more than just the Republican point of view... it's fine (I guess) if you're gonna be Republican, but you really need to stop parading it about like an uninformed moron. I generally like you, but you come across as really stupid in the Politics section of this forum.

Why shoudn't felons be able to vote once they're out of jail? Like mota said, they've already paid their debt. They should leave jail as less of citizens? You probably also support the amendment to make the citizenship test harder... *sigh*

I do open my eyes to more than the republican view, but I tend to agree with the republic view quite a bit. I think the only reason I come across stupid to you in the politics part of this forum is because I disagree with what most people think. I will admit I've made some stupid arguments before, though.

Like I said in my previous post, there are some felons that shouldn't be given back their right to vote, like rapists, child molesters, etc, because I think the judicial system is too soft on these types of people at times. Besides, studies show that child molesters and rapists are very likely to be repeat offenders even afte jail time.

And no, I don't suppost the amendment to make the citizenship test harder, so you can stop sigh-ing. I do believe, however, that we do need to tighten our borders. Now, I have no problem with people coming here to better their lives, but if they're going to do it, I'd prefer it be done legally.

EMehl6
03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Wait, where do we draw the line, then? "You murdered someone... no voting for you! Okay, you just kidnapped a kid, you can vote. Wait, you molested it, too? Okay, no voting. Wait, the kid was hispanic? Okay, you can vote."

So who decides and how? You can't arbitrarily draw a line and say that people on one side are lesser once they've paid their debt to society because their debt was greater in the first place.

I didn't say it would be arbitrarily be drawn. And to be honest, I'm not sure exactly who would decide it. I haven't really sat down and tried to think of a solution for it. But, some crimes are just far worse than others. I'm sorry, but I think a mass murder is a much worse person than someone who stole a candy bar or something from the grocery store.

Llamas
03-28-2007, 10:23 AM
I didn't say it would be arbitrarily be drawn. And to be honest, I'm not sure exactly who would decide it. I haven't really sat down and tried to think of a solution for it. But, some crimes are just far worse than others. I'm sorry, but I think a mass murder is a much worse person than someone who stole a candy bar or something from the grocery store.

So then, let's say someone is a mass murderer, gets caught, and it sent to prison for 40 years. They come out, and are completely peaceful and apologetic for what they did... they can never vote again?

JohnnyNemesis
03-28-2007, 10:23 AM
I think one thing you should realize is that you can keep bringing up child molesters and rapists all you want, but this kind of law affects more than just those people.

Also, concerning the whole "things should be done legally" thing...I'd suggest being more critical of what's "legal" and what's not; some of the most heinous evil people are the ones making laws in the first place. And "legal/illegal" are certainly not synonyms for "right/wrong".

Llamas
03-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh yeah, as far as "tightening our borders"... so, what do you mean? We should stop people from coming illegally... well, do you realize how fucking hard it is currently for hispanics to come to the US legally? Maybe instead of "tightening our borders" (which I assume you only mean with Mexico...), we should make it easier to get in legally.

EMehl6
03-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Could you please explain why you feel those people shouldn't get their right to vote back?

Is it because you think that it is impossible for them to be truly rehabilitated (and as a result you don't trust them with a legitimate political voice), or because you think they should continually be punished even after serving their time by not being allowed to vote?

Or maybe it's both reasons? Or something none of us have mentioned?

Also, who decides what's higher or lower on the "crime tier"? Is the poor person selling drugs on the corner higher on the crime tier than the rich CEO who ruins hundreds of lives at once with his shady business practices? Who the hell are you, or who the hell am I to decide such a thing?

Yes, it would be because I don't think they can be rehabilitated, and I don't trust them with a political voice.

I know, crime tier was terrible wording, but I couldn't think of anything better. And honestly, as I said before, I'm not sure who's to decide what's worse. I haven't sat down and thought out a solution for it.

JohnnyNemesis
03-28-2007, 10:38 AM
So do you feel that prisons should be more about punishment than rehabilitation, then? If so, I strongly disagree. Even though I'm the most pessimistic cynic around, I just think that there has been way too much credible work on the subject of something like child molesters for example, to understand exactly why they do what they do and what we can now do to work on eliminating such a problem.

I gotta go, so I'll try to pick this up with you another time.

EMehl6
03-28-2007, 10:38 AM
So then, let's say someone is a mass murderer, gets caught, and it sent to prison for 40 years. They come out, and are completely peaceful and apologetic for what they did... they can never vote again?

I'm sorry, but I really don't see that happening. If someone kills a bunch of people, obviously something is not right with them.

Oh yeah, as far as "tightening our borders"... so, what do you mean? We should stop people from coming illegally... well, do you realize how fucking hard it is currently for hispanics to come to the US legally? Maybe instead of "tightening our borders" (which I assume you only mean with Mexico...), we should make it easier to get in legally.

Yes, we do need to stop people from coming illegally. Do YOU realize how badly they fuck things up by coming here illegally? They don't pay taxes or anything, and who's stuck to pay for that? Us, the American citizen.

And yeah, I agree, maybe we should make it a little bit easier to get in.

I think one thing you should realize is that you can keep bringing up child molesters and rapists all you want, but this kind of law affects more than just those people.

Yeah, I know it effects more than just those people, but, like I said, I don't think we can rehabilitate those types of people, and something needs to be done there.

Also, concerning the whole "things should be done legally" thing...I'd suggest being more critical of what's "legal" and what's not; some of the most heinous evil people are the ones making laws in the first place. And "legal/illegal" are certainly not synonyms for "right/wrong".

Yeah, I know this. But, I don't think there's anything heinous about wanting people to come to the US legally. Is that what you were referring to, or where you referring to crimes again?

To everyone:
I didn't mean to start a whole shitfest here with this, and I realize a lot you probably dislike me now for it. But, I'll be honest, I don't have all the answers for this, I'm just saying what I think on this particular issue.

EMehl6
03-28-2007, 10:42 AM
So do you feel that prisons should be more about punishment than rehabilitation, then? If so, I strongly disagree. Even though I'm the most pessimistic cynic around, I just think that there has been way too much credible work on the subject of something like child molesters for example, to understand exactly why they do what they do and what we can now do to work on eliminating such a problem.

I gotta go, so I'll try to pick this up with you another time.

No, I don't think that. But I also don't think a prison should be fun and games. And yeah, I agree, we need to continue trying to figure out why these people do what they do, and see if you can fix it. But as of right now, all we know is these people have a severe mental imbalance of some sort, and there is a very good chance they will become repeat offenders even after serving time and going through rehabilitation.

Llamas
03-28-2007, 10:47 AM
And there's no chance that people do things like mass murder due to a psychological condition? And psychological conditions are never cured? Huh.

Obviously I know how bad it is to have a lot of illegal immigrants... which is exactly why I think it's ridiculous how hard it is to get into the US.

Sin Studly
03-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I support total suffrage. If I ran a country, kids, women, welfare recipients, minorities, the mentally retarded, convicts, and even illegal immigrants would be allowed to vote.

Of course, since some of those people would have trouble voting because of their intellectual or lingual shortcomings, it would be necessary to revoke the secret ballot and staff all polling booths with "Voting Assistantance Officers".

Admire my liberalism.

Speakeasy
03-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Liberalism admired :D.

Llamas
03-28-2007, 02:35 PM
...next time you post, read the whole thread first. Everything you said in your post had already been said at LEAST once. You're just cluttering the thread with repetition.

Paint_It_Black
03-28-2007, 11:25 PM

Well, you're free to feel that way. However, the fact remains that after serving your time you are supposed to have repaid your debt to society. That's how it works. And since that is the case, it's not actually fair to deny the vote to ex-felons. You see that, right? I'm not really for or against ex-felons voting, but I am for logical reasoning.

Don't worry about anyone "hating" you, just keep doing your thing. You'll be at lest respected for being yourself. By the way, are you a guy or girl?

Mota Boy
03-28-2007, 11:33 PM
A felony can be stealing an item worth more than $500, doing more than $500 in property damage, growing or selling pot, certain types of DUIs, certain types of reckless driving charges...

Out of all those relatively harmless things, why on earth would you choose a "mass murderer" as your example? A "mass murderer" would not be let out in forty years, and even if such a criminal ever did get out, it would be on parole, and parolees don't have citizenship status either, so the point's completely moot. Likewise, most murderers and child molesters also would be heavily constrained by long prison and/or parole terms. It's the people arrested for stealing a stereo or selling pot that are marred from voting for the rest of their lives that should elicit outrage.

wheelchairman
03-29-2007, 03:23 AM
Like I said in my previous post, there are some felons that shouldn't be given back their right to vote, like rapists, child molesters, etc, because I think the judicial system is too soft on these types of people at times. Besides, studies show that child molesters and rapists are very likely to be repeat offenders even afte jail time.

No one here likes pedophiles and rapists. And our gut reaction would be to have them executed.

But obviously, we live in a civilized nation and our legal system should reflect this. Furthermore, we should be wary of tightening the punishments on such criminals, because the definition of rape for example, is very broad. If a chick lies about her age it's rape.

And murder, well we are all capable of murder. You might think it's only serial killers and whatnot. But I think usually it happens in an intense moment of passion, anger, whatever, we can all be pushed to this point. But luckily it doesn't happen often.

Although as mentioned before, a murderer ain't gonna get out. And the rest won't for a while either. It's small time crooks who get fucked just because you've never seen that side of society.

Sin Studly
03-29-2007, 03:54 AM
Furthermore, we should be wary of tightening the punishments on such criminals, because the definition of rape for example, is very broad. If a chick lies about her age it's rape. And murder, well we are all capable of murder.

Which is why law reflects this by creating definitions like "statutory rape", "negligent homicide", etc. etc.

ZagmenO
03-29-2007, 07:38 AM
I think every American deserves the right to vote. Convicted felon or not!

JohnnyNemesis
03-29-2007, 08:20 AM
It's small time crooks who get fucked just because you've never seen that side of society.

I think this is a crucial comment that should be infused into every single comment and thread ever posted in the Politics section of the forum.

Now, of course, I'm not advocating anyone being a stuffy pretentious analyst. Everyone should trust their own experience and use that as the basis for most of what is said. But EVERYONE needs to be aware of what it is that they do NOT know and have never experienced (or, at the very least, recognize the fact that there are things they've never experienced) when it comes to these issues.

EMehl6
03-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Well, you're free to feel that way. However, the fact remains that after serving your time you are supposed to have repaid your debt to society. That's how it works. And since that is the case, it's not actually fair to deny the vote to ex-felons. You see that, right? I'm not really for or against ex-felons voting, but I am for logical reasoning.

Don't worry about anyone "hating" you, just keep doing your thing. You'll be at lest respected for being yourself. By the way, are you a guy or girl?

Yeah, I do see that. And I'm a guy.

EMehl6
03-29-2007, 10:43 AM
No one here likes pedophiles and rapists. And our gut reaction would be to have them executed.

But obviously, we live in a civilized nation and our legal system should reflect this. Furthermore, we should be wary of tightening the punishments on such criminals, because the definition of rape for example, is very broad. If a chick lies about her age it's rape.

And murder, well we are all capable of murder. You might think it's only serial killers and whatnot. But I think usually it happens in an intense moment of passion, anger, whatever, we can all be pushed to this point. But luckily it doesn't happen often.

Although as mentioned before, a murderer ain't gonna get out. And the rest won't for a while either. It's small time crooks who get fucked just because you've never seen that side of society.

Right, right, I see what you're saying. My point is, with certain types of criminals, there's a very good chance that even after jailtime and rehabilitation, as I said before, that they're going to get out and do the same thing again. My personal opinion on pedophiles is that our judicial system tends to be too easy on them. Idk, maybe revoking their right to vote isn't a good idea, but my gut reaction was that it was a good idea.

But, from listening to you guys and thinking about it, I'm begining to think it's not really a good idea.

wheelchairman
03-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Right, right, I see what you're saying. My point is, with certain types of criminals, there's a very good chance that even after jailtime and rehabilitation, as I said before, that they're going to get out and do the same thing again. My personal opinion on pedophiles is that our judicial system tends to be too easy on them. Idk, maybe revoking their right to vote isn't a good idea, but my gut reaction was that it was a good idea.

But, from listening to you guys and thinking about it, I'm begining to think it's not really a good idea.

And how do we draw a line for pedophiles? Is it people who have pictures? What age is pedophilia relevant then? What if it isn't clear how old the girl is? Some 14 year olds can be hot. Especially if they are naked and there is no indication of how old they are. Or that schoolgirl fetish where it's older women pretending to be little girls?

I'm simply saying repeat offenders exist. But this is retarded. There is no need for it. Pedophiles don't constitute a lobby (well NAMBLA), and they'll never do anything that you have to worry about.

But simply taking away their right to vote doesn't make sense. It's aimed at oppressing certain classes, there are certainly criminals who will never get their right to vote revoked for swindling millions of dollars out of retirement accounts. Things like that.

EMehl6
03-29-2007, 04:01 PM
And how do we draw a line for pedophiles? Is it people who have pictures? What age is pedophilia relevant then? What if it isn't clear how old the girl is? Some 14 year olds can be hot. Especially if they are naked and there is no indication of how old they are. Or that schoolgirl fetish where it's older women pretending to be little girls?

I'm simply saying repeat offenders exist. But this is retarded. There is no need for it. Pedophiles don't constitute a lobby (well NAMBLA), and they'll never do anything that you have to worry about.

But simply taking away their right to vote doesn't make sense. It's aimed at oppressing certain classes, there are certainly criminals who will never get their right to vote revoked for swindling millions of dollars out of retirement accounts. Things like that.

I understand. That's why I said I'm starting to rethink my stance here, but, like I said, my gut reponse was what I originally posted about. But now that I've started thinking about it and listening to all of you, I'm starting to think it's not such a good idea.

wheelchairman
03-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah that's the problem with gut responses, they don't belong in politics. They only belong in Steven Seagal movies where he's kicking the ass of some sicko who totally deserves it.

EMehl6
03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah that's the problem with gut responses, they don't belong in politics. They only belong in Steven Seagal movies where he's kicking the ass of some sicko who totally deserves it.

Yeah. But sometimes gut responses are right. And the Steven Seagal reference=badass.

wheelchairman
03-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Yeah but reason is always better. I have like 7 or 8 Steven Seagal dvds.

EMehl6
03-29-2007, 04:28 PM

I agree, but I get a little carried away sometimes. Nice. I watch his movies when they come on Spike TV.

Paint_It_Black
03-29-2007, 10:53 PM

Yet there's no reason to own 7 or 8 Steven Seagull dvds.

wheelchairman
03-30-2007, 03:44 AM
Yes sure there is. I need to see the martial arts action.

Speakeasy
04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm currently in prison for vehicular manslaughter, but I'm the nicest guy in the world. This one time I asked a guard for my right to vote and he did my up the ass :(. Please be more understanding.