PDA

View Full Version : Commercial breaks - separated from programs or not?

Vera
03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Today in TV history & genres class we watched a bit of the Ed Sullivan Show. Suddenly it occurred to me that not every country has a system where the commercials are separated with a small clip with the channel logo and the text, "programming continues after these messages" or something that implies this.

We've pretty much always had this in Finland and I'm really used to it. It was so disturbing to watch the old American TV recording where the commercials popped up without warning, and equally without warning the program continued as normal. Also the annoying, "Okay folks here's what we have coming up but before that, some more ads!". Not saying I could never get used to it but right now I'm just too comfortable with listening to the little tunes that separate commercials and programming so I know when to return to the TV from the kitchen.

So, which countries have this thing where they separate the commercials CLEARLY with some sort of a transitional image or message from the actual programming? If you have equal experience of both systems, which do you prefer?

F@ BANKZ
03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
It doesn't always happen here, occasionally this will make me jump if i am watching a quiet programme with no ovbious cue for commercails on say UKTV History; but generally that is not the case. On most channels you do get the first advert being one from the sponcors of the show. It's definately a benifit taken for granted.

the_GoDdEsS
03-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Slovak TV never had them for as long as we used to have the two state owned channels only (lolz, regime). You watched movies and everything without any commercial breaks. To my knowledge, there are still none. Only breaks are in between movies or programs. I remember in '92 my family got satellite TV and that's when I first started watching everything in German. Maaan, we all hated the 'Werbung' badly. I could recite those stupid things in German without wanting to. (Am sure some of you know Zu Risiken und Nebenwirkungen...)

Our commercial channels, that emerged later in the 90s, introduced commercial breaks. The first indicator usually is that the logo disappears and after a few seconds you get 'Reklama' flashing through your screen. Then followed by a battle of mobile operators, cleaning products and everything you would not want to spend your money on.

Sunny
03-29-2007, 11:54 AM
american tv doesn't have commercial break jingles, but polish tv does. i think i prefer the no announcement system... just because the little animated thingies can get pretty annoying.

then again, i get all my tv from itunes, so i avoid commercials altogether. ha!

Llamas
03-29-2007, 11:59 AM
In Austria, they don't have commercials during the show at all. You have the show air straight through, and then like 15 minutes of ads after the show until the next show starts. It fucks with the times shows start (wtf, 6:15??), but it's really nice to watch a show straight through. With movies, they just have like 3 breaks throughout the movie, each like 10-15 min, but there are no jingles or anything. The breaks are long enough, though, that you can get a lot done during them.

Lars
03-29-2007, 11:59 AM
The only thing where I've paid enough attention that they actually do that on the 'free' to view channels in the UK is Formula 1, they always have at the start and end one of those idents, I don't recall it having any text stating it was for a break though. All other places where I've been that they have these have already been mentioned in here already.

Jatkuu, it's been years since I've been in Finland but I still remember it.

Vera
03-29-2007, 12:08 PM
then again, i get all my tv from itunes, so i avoid commercials altogether. ha!
Yeah, I love DVD's and teh internets for this reason. They give a new, fantastic way to watch TV free of commercials!

Finnish TV only has a select few channels with commercials (three to be exact) and all have pretty cool commercial break jingles. They've never been annoying to me. Especially SubTV has very stylish, cool commercial break thingies as well as handy "program begins" thingies.

o_0 at 15 min commercial breaks. On the other hand, makes it easier to leave the room to do something else for like 10 mins.

Jatkuu, it's been years since I've been in Finland but I still remember it.
Heh, yeah. :D

mrconeman
03-29-2007, 12:10 PM
The U.K channels I get all tend to do the straight to the adverts thing, it can get annoying.
I can think of a few channels I get where adverts are always announced with a little picture and someone talking over it, explaining whats coming next and when the show will start again.

All in all I prefer neither, fuck TV. I download any show I watch seeing as we always have to wait for months before we are in line with America anyway.
Adverts fail.

Llamas
03-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Finnish TV only has a select few channels with commercials (three to be exact) and all have pretty cool commercial break jingles. They've never been annoying to me. Especially SubTV has very stylish, cool commercial break thingies as well as handy "program begins" thingies.

o_0 at 15 min commercial breaks. On the other hand, makes it easier to leave the room to do something else for like 10 mins.

Heh, yeah. :D

I heard about the tv in Finland... you have to pay a fee just for having a tv, right? That's insane! But it's nice that some channels don't have commercials.

I never found commercials annoying, but now that I'm used to the commercial style here, I know I'll be annoyed when I go back to the US. I really like how it is here.

Jakebert
03-29-2007, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't like it if I was watching House, and when something big and dramatic happens, suddenly a card with the cast smiling and winking comes up and says "We'll be right back!" I think it would kind of ruin the moment.

Vera
03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
I heard about the tv in Finland... you have to pay a fee just for having a tv, right? That's insane! But it's nice that some channels don't have commercials.

You have to pay if you want to watch YLE channels, yeah. I don't mind...

What I do mind is the fucked up digitalization that makes people buy stupid new technology because they're stopping analogue TV soon.

suddenly a card with the cast smiling and winking comes up and says "We'll be right back!" I think it would kind of ruin the moment.
...they're not like that. They're just these channel logo thingies.

Llamas
03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Hmm, maybe it's different in various parts of Finland, then. My friends both have to pay a fee every year just for owning a TV. These people come check and if you have a TV, you have to show that you paid the fee. Otherwise you get a ticket.

Vera
03-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Wait, yeah, I think that's true. I'm never the one paying so I don't really know - I always figured if I buy a TV and just play video games, I'm in the clear but guess not. :/

Llamas
03-29-2007, 01:59 PM
yeah that's why it's retarded. I have a tv, but I only use it for video games or movies. it'd be ridiculous to have to pay a fee.

Tizzalicious
03-29-2007, 02:01 PM
I prefer them with jingles I guess, though they annoy me. And I hate them every 15 minutes, but I neeeeed at least one commercial break in a movie, because I need my pee-break. When I go to the movies too, in Holland we always have a break in between, in Denmark they don't, and I always need to go sooooo bad by the end of the movie.

Llamas
03-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Haha, that's a good point. What do you do when you go to the theater?

Tizzalicious
03-29-2007, 02:08 PM
That's what I just said ;) They have breaks there in Holland. They don't here though, so I just have to squeeeeeeeeeze.

Llamas
03-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Oh my god, I'm retarded. They have breaks in the film?? That's crazy! I personally never go to the bathroom during a movie, so I'd be really annoyed by the interruption!

wheelchairman
03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
yeah that's why it's retarded. I have a tv, but I only use it for video games or movies. it'd be ridiculous to have to pay a fee.

In Denmark the fee is only mandatory if you subscribe to tv. I don't, so I got dvds and video games for free all the time.

But the whole fee system is ridiculous and a huge turn off.

HeadAroundU
03-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Slovak TV never had them for as long as we used to have the two state owned channels only (lolz, regime). You watched movies and everything without any commercial breaks. To my knowledge, there are still none. Only breaks are in between movies or programs. I remember in '92 my family got satellite TV and that's when I first started watching everything in German. Maaan, we all hated the 'Werbung' badly. I could recite those stupid things in German without wanting to. (Am sure some of you know Zu Risiken und Nebenwirkungen...)

Our commercial channels, that emerged later in the 90s, introduced commercial breaks. The first indicator usually is that the logo disappears and after a few seconds you get 'Reklama' flashing through your screen. Then followed by a battle of mobile operators, cleaning products and everything you would not want to spend your money on.
We have a one or two commercial breaks during the movie or some program too. Moderators usually say that the program is gonna continue after the commercial. When it's the movie, you are able to figure it out if it's end or not, so we have just a "reklama" flashing. It doesn't annoy me. Yeah, the German werbung was never-ending for me then.

Paint_It_Black
03-30-2007, 12:01 AM
If you have equal experience of both systems, which do you prefer?

I've experienced both, and I really dislike going straight to commercials. I was watching an episode of Lost not too long ago and when it went to commercials it took me a moment to realize it wasn't part of the show. Damn their over use of pointless flashbacks!

Channels without commercials FTW.

WebDudette
03-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Most shows in the US don't have those but some shows will have something like "We'll be back after these messages". I personally don't like when they cut out with a picture or something. It gets really annoying seeing the same thing over and over again especially if you watch that show often. Like when I used to watch a lot of downloaded Anime they showed the same picture every commercial break and another picture when they came back. But that might be because the shows I downloaded didn't actually have commercials.

Uhh... that's mostly rambling.

the_GoDdEsS
03-30-2007, 01:58 AM
We have a one or two commercial breaks during the movie or some program too.

Yes, MarkÝza does that plenty. But what about STV1 and 2? Do they have them during the movies? I think they don't, but I'm not sure now. I barely watch TV, except for some documentaries on 2 or news.

Nina
03-30-2007, 02:01 AM
We have commercial break jingles, and I didnt realize that there is another way. How annoying that must be to go straight to a commercial.
I really need commercial breaks (kinda like Tizz), although I hate them. I cannot sit infront of the TV when there is a break. I usually get up and do something and get back to my TV after 5min (that's the average time a commercial break lasts). Back in school time I did a lot of preparing for the next day during commercial breaks.

Little_Miss_1565
03-30-2007, 07:02 AM
In Denmark the fee is only mandatory if you subscribe to tv. I don't, so I got dvds and video games for free all the time.

But the whole fee system is ridiculous and a huge turn off.

...so there's a fee on top of the cost of TV subscription? Is that fee imposed by the government? Is it large? Seems totally ridiculous...I mean, our cable TV bill is taxed, so it's like the government is taking a chunk of it, but damn.

wheelchairman
03-30-2007, 07:07 AM
A cable subscription on the one hand, costs very very little and includes a landline phone connection as well.

The problem is the flat fee if you want to watch tv. Every 6 months you have to pay about 200$. Whether you're a student, working full time, or retired.

It's to fund the state's public channels (there are two.) We also have a radio license that costs about 1/10th of that last one. And they've just included the internet in the tv license, because now you can watch tv online. (not like I would.) Thankfully, my internet is too slow (192 kbs) to be subject to this fee.

Little_Miss_1565
03-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Wow, that seems really silly. Is the cable bill taxed as well?

We have bundled packages that include cable, a landline, and internet access for like $120-$150 a month (probably a little less expensive everywhere else because I'm in NYC and EVERYTHING is more expensive). Which is still a pretty nice chunk of change. I have two roommates so we split it, but still, damn.

wheelchairman
03-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Hmm right now for just internet and unlimited landline calling I pay about 35$ a month. If I wanted to add a basic cable package to that, I'd have to pay the subscription cost of 25$ a month for 12 channels. So yeah in total it would be 60$ a month for all 3 services. And then you add the State's fee on top of that, and I'd be paying about half of what you pay.

But I'm a student taking the burden alone, so no thanks. I hope you guys in New York earn a looooot of money.

Llamas
03-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Wow, that seems really silly. Is the cable bill taxed as well?

We have bundled packages that include cable, a landline, and internet access for like $120-$150 a month (probably a little less expensive everywhere else because I'm in NYC and EVERYTHING is more expensive). Which is still a pretty nice chunk of change. I have two roommates so we split it, but still, damn.

Fuck. That's sick. We had the cable/internet package for like $35/month. Landline can't be more than $10 more. That's absolutely horrible. :(

Paint_It_Black
03-30-2007, 07:56 AM
My cable bill is about $180 a month for internet, phone, and television.

It's annoying when people refer to television as "cable".

Llamas
03-30-2007, 07:58 AM
My cable bill is about $180 a month for internet, phone, and television.

It's annoying when people refer to television as "cable".

Television and cable are different... you can get standard Television for free. You just plug in the TV, and there are like 10 stations. Standard cable has a price, and you get like 60 channels. There's a difference.

Paint_It_Black
03-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Television and cable are different... you can get standard Television for free. You just plug in the TV, and there are like 10 stations. Standard cable has a price, and you get like 60 channels. There's a difference.

Absolutely...

But when you receive your internet connection, your phone service and your television service all through a cable company, all of those services are "cable" services. Yet people still say "cable" when they actually mean television.

Example: I get my service through Cox Communications. Cox Communications suck ass and I regularly lose connection to the internet and my phone regularly cuts off for short periods of time. Last time this occurred I informed my housemate, who then proceeded to ask "what about the cable?" when it is, in fact, all cable. He, of course, meant only the television.

wheelchairman
03-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Back when I was in the states, television was whatever you picked up on your antenna (not satellite antenna).

Whiplash
03-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Thats getto.

Cable is almost the norm out here.

Llamas
03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
PIB, even the cable/internet/whatever companies say "phone, internet, cable TV". Comcast says their phone, internet and cable TV bundle is $33 a month. I don't see a big deal with shortening "cable TV" to "cable".

Nina
03-30-2007, 08:18 AM
In Germany the concept of "cable" is not very popular yet. I saw a commercial the other day about cable, and it was the first time I heard about it over here. It is basically still unusual here to link TV and phone/internet contracts together. But it's starting. I'm not sure if it's a good thing...once you mess it up you lose everything at once! But if you dont pay your "cable" bills (now I mean the German term Kabelfernsehen, which is = TV) you'll at least still have a phone.

Paint_It_Black
03-30-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't see a big deal with shortening "cable TV" to "cable".

It's not a big deal. It's a pet peeve of mine. Because it's all cable, and you should specify which you mean. It's ok for you to disagree.

Besides, if you want to shorten it, "TV" would be shorter than "cable". Shorter and more accurate.

HeadAroundU
03-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Yes, MarkÝza does that plenty. But what about STV1 and 2? Do they have them during the movies? I think they don't, but I'm not sure now. I barely watch TV, except for some documentaries on 2 or news.
I'm "watching" the movie on STV right now. I'll tell you later. I know that STV had the problem with "Slovensko hlada superstar" because of commercial breaks.

Also, I know that there are commercial breaks during the hockey games on STV2. :P

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-30-2007, 08:24 PM
It varies in the UK. With some shows, it jumps straight onto the commercials, though I find the majority have at least some sort of jingle, animation or such and such to seperate it. The old Simpsons one on Sky One for Dominoes pizza was the best.

Speaking on this subject though, and the horror of US commercials, I was once in Florida having a flick through when I came to some football. I'd been in America for 4 days or so, so I was missing the footie quite badly. I sit watching it for about 5 mins, and a commercial came on IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HALF. WHILE THEY WERE STILL PLAYING.

I never watched American TV again.

PS. correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the same thing happen during the Superbowl? (a.k.a incredibly boring game of borefest / Advert-Land)

Little_Miss_1565
03-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Hmm right now for just internet and unlimited landline calling I pay about 35$ a month. If I wanted to add a basic cable package to that, I'd have to pay the subscription cost of 25$ a month for 12 channels. So yeah in total it would be 60$ a month for all 3 services. And then you add the State's fee on top of that, and I'd be paying about half of what you pay.

12 channels? We get more channels than I know what to do with. I guess it's not such a rip off?

We also have HBO for Six Feet Under and The Sopranos, but the former is gone and the latter is only weeks away from it, so that'll be like $10 off the price I think.

goonadie1day
03-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Today in TV history & genres class we watched a bit of the Ed Sullivan Show. Suddenly it occurred to me that not every country has a system where the commercials are separated with a small clip with the channel logo and the text, "programming continues after these messages" or something that implies this.

We've pretty much always had this in Finland and I'm really used to it. It was so disturbing to watch the old American TV recording where the commercials popped up without warning, and equally without warning the program continued as normal. Also the annoying, "Okay folks here's what we have coming up but before that, some more ads!". Not saying I could never get used to it but right now I'm just too comfortable with listening to the little tunes that separate commercials and programming so I know when to return to the TV from the kitchen.

So, which countries have this thing where they separate the commercials CLEARLY with some sort of a transitional image or message from the actual programming? If you have equal experience of both systems, which do you prefer?

This is the funniest thing i have ever heard. See we Americans HATE commercials... but want to own everything in it.

Adding those little clips would = more time to wait to return to the program...
and Americans= impatient sons of bitches... well most of us... XD

Paint_It_Black
03-31-2007, 12:30 AM
We also have HBO for Six Feet Under and The Sopranos, but the former is gone and the latter is only weeks away from it, so that'll be like $10 off the price I think.

Looks like Showtime is the one to watch now.

Vera
03-31-2007, 04:44 AM
Well, when you have the little things between program and commercials, it signifies not having to sit around watching the damn things. I usually switch channels when there is a commercial break, watch something else for a minute or two, check back to see if the programs back on and maybe let it stay there if I feel it's just about to return to the program again.

Or I can just leave the sofa and hear the jingle from the kitchen and be like "ooh my program's back on!". Like, who actually watches all the commercials? I never do but I feel if I didn't have the jingle, I'd constantly be on my toes - when's the program coming back on, would be somehow more difficult to determine.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 05:07 AM
This is the funniest thing i have ever heard. See we Americans HATE commercials... but want to own everything in it.

Adding those little clips would = more time to wait to return to the program...
and Americans= impatient sons of bitches... well most of us... XD

No, you're just referring to bratty teenagers. I'm American, and I don't hate nor am I annoyed with commercials. I often like them because I can get up to do other stuff quick. And I especially like having the longer commercial breaks here because then I have more time to do things during the break.

wheelchairman
03-31-2007, 05:32 AM
It varies in the UK. With some shows, it jumps straight onto the commercials, though I find the majority have at least some sort of jingle, animation or such and such to seperate it. The old Simpsons one on Sky One for Dominoes pizza was the best.

Speaking on this subject though, and the horror of US commercials, I was once in Florida having a flick through when I came to some football. I'd been in America for 4 days or so, so I was missing the footie quite badly. I sit watching it for about 5 mins, and a commercial came on IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HALF. WHILE THEY WERE STILL PLAYING.

I never watched American TV again.

PS. correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the same thing happen during the Superbowl? (a.k.a incredibly boring game of borefest / Advert-Land)

8 years ago, they didn't have any commercials on during soccer, only during half time. They might have changed it since then.