PDA

View Full Version : Learning guitar

RoxnRollBassist
03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey does anyone play guitar. I already play bass guitar(though my music theory isnt strong) but im learning guitar. I take lessons, but im considering quiting them soon. I've been trying to learn songs by just listening to them(mostly offspring) but its a bit hard. Did anyone here teach themselves. I really want to learn, but im not to into music theory. I only know basic power chords, open chords, and bar chords. Any type of advice at all to help me improve? I need to improve the accuracy of the songs i hear by ear as well.

T-6005
03-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I taught myself.

Get a teacher.

Grabbal
03-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Try teaching yourself. I tried guitar lessons, but that was mostly chords and stuff so I quit.

You can just as easily find video lessons on the internet I believe and if you're going to play Offspring songs you don't really need to be all that good.

mrconeman
03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Theres two ways about it really. You have to see whats best for you personally.

If you can find a good teacher, stick with it, theres nothing better than having a teacher who knows what hes doing...or so I'm told, getting to my next part.
You can teach yourself, I taught and teach myself, no doubt I would be better with a good teacher showing me whats what, but the general consensus is those that teach themselves have every chance of getting as good as they would have otherwise, its just a difference of time, and effort.

Llamas
03-29-2007, 02:26 PM
If you don't know any theory and don't have a lot of musical experience, I'd recommend getting a teacher or a lesson somehow. I taught myself guitar and it was easy, but I already knew how to play a dozen instruments. You can get instructional videos and stuff if you don't like having a teacher, too.

The Talking Pie
03-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Get someone to teach you classical guitar. Even if it's not what you want to learn. You'll thank them in five years, because it has such an immense effect on everything else that you might want to play.

I had one such teacher for a few years. If he still taught me, I'd be even better than I am now. I've had to teach myself for several years.

Grabbal
03-29-2007, 02:38 PM
To get you started you should use THIS (http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/offspring_tabs.htm) site for learning Offspring songs and any other song for that matter. I didn't understand the tab thing in the beginning when I first saw it, but maybe you will.

mrconeman
03-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Get someone to teach you classical guitar. Even if it's not what you want to learn. You'll thank them in five years, because it has such an immense effect on everything else that you might want to play.
Quoted for ultimate truth and justice. I've become increasingly interested in classical guitar over the past year or so, and I've recently started to pick some of it up, it really does affect every aspect of your playing after.

coke_a_holic
03-29-2007, 05:16 PM
1. Learn theory. It's worth it.
2. Don't just learn Offspring songs
3. STICK WITH THE TEACHER. He will help you out a lot in the long run and it gets very worth it. I wanted to quit my lessons after the first 6 months or so, but I've been taking them from the same guy for 3 years and its been very helpful.

nameless
03-29-2007, 06:47 PM
ive heard some interesting negative views on taking lessons, such as they are a waste of money, you will start to sound like the teacher and you only learn what they think you should learn etc. personally i really disagree, there is some stuff you just cant teach yourself. they can point out what your doing wrong and stop you adopting bad technique.

i wouldnt say you have to take lessons every day/week but it would help having them occasionally from someone who knows what they are doing. its all based on individual preference though!

mrconeman
03-30-2007, 10:14 AM
ive heard some interesting negative views on taking lessons, such as they are a waste of money, you will start to sound like the teacher and you only learn what they think you should learn

This is only true if you have a crappy teacher, and yeah, theres alot of those about.

there is some stuff you just cant teach yourself. they can point out what your doing wrong and stop you adopting bad technique
False. Depending on the degree of what you mean by the word teach. Picking up a guitar and figuring out songs etc, I wouldn't consider learning guitar. You can learn everything any teacher will tell you from books/magazines/instructional videos and the internet.

H1T_That
03-31-2007, 05:23 AM
Theres two ways about it really. You have to see whats best for you personally.

If you can find a good teacher, stick with it, theres nothing better than having a teacher who knows what hes doing...or so I'm told, getting to my next part.
You can teach yourself, I taught and teach myself, no doubt I would be better with a good teacher showing me whats what, but the general consensus is those that teach themselves have every chance of getting as good as they would have otherwise, its just a difference of time, and effort.

I've seen your videos, and they are smokin'.

I suggest you teach me your ways, oh wise one.

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 07:25 AM
:o shucks.

Those last three words in where you quoted me have made the most difference to me anyway, I play absolutely as much as I can.
I try not to get comfortable either, always challenge yourself to do something you actually know you can't do, because you'll eventually do it.
And by that I don't mean grab a guitar for the first time and try some Joe Satriani, just try things slightly out of your comfort zone.
Really though, I could never teach guitar, I'm still learning it myself.

H1T_That
03-31-2007, 08:39 AM
:o shucks.

Those last three words in where you quoted me have made the most difference to me anyway, I play absolutely as much as I can.
I try not to get comfortable either, always challenge yourself to do something you actually know you can't do, because you'll eventually do it.
And by that I don't mean grab a guitar for the first time and try some Joe Satriani, just try things slightly out of your comfort zone.
Really though, I could never teach guitar, I'm still learning it myself.

Thanks for the advice.

nameless
03-31-2007, 07:33 PM
This is only true if you have a crappy teacher, and yeah, theres alot of those about.

False. Depending on the degree of what you mean by the word teach. Picking up a guitar and figuring out songs etc, I wouldn't consider learning guitar. You can learn everything any teacher will tell you from books/magazines/instructional videos and the internet.

i see your point but i was thinking more about things like technique, if you teach yourself the wrong way you may become stuck at some point and it might slow down the process. in the long run, i think taking lessons is quicker as you eliminate the trial and error proccess.

i know people who take lessons and still dont have a clue. similarly i know people who have self taught and are really good but also there are some, again that dont know what they are doing.

as someone else mentioned, its down to the individual!

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I totally agree.
Both ways have their flaws. All I meant was that if you teach yourself with good material you can easily avoid bad technique.
I by no means have perfect technique, but for how long I've been playing, and how I learned, theres nothing wrong with it either. (k so I could really improve my vibrato, but thats a personal thing like you mentioned).
It's all cool.

Lodat225
03-31-2007, 11:49 PM
Hey does anyone play guitar. I already play bass guitar(though my music theory isnt strong) but im learning guitar. I take lessons, but im considering quiting them soon. I've been trying to learn songs by just listening to them(mostly offspring) but its a bit hard. Did anyone here teach themselves. I really want to learn, but im not to into music theory. I only know basic power chords, open chords, and bar chords. Any type of advice at all to help me improve? I need to improve the accuracy of the songs i hear by ear as well.

Now when teaching yourself, don't try to pick out songs by ear. It's very hard. what you want to do is get TABS of your favorite songs and learn to play them. You'll also want to practice finger excersizes and Scales. The scales are great for doing solos. It's also great to learn to pick by ear. Also, Arpeggios are very hard but are a great learning tool. And if your fingers aren't strong, get a Grip Master. It's a little handheld gym for your fingers. It'll give them strength. If you need any more tips, you know where to find me.

Lodat225
04-01-2007, 12:03 AM

The Talking Pie is right. Until you are very familiar with the guitar; always play it in the classical pose. It helps alot. The pose is awkward and makes it hard to play. But once you get used to that pose, you'll be a master at playing guitar without being in the classical pose. And don't cancel your lessons. Teaching yourself takes alot longer than someone teaching you. It'd be wise to stay with a teacher for your first two years. After that, you can teach yourself.

Also, work on your chords. Play them and name them. Play these in this order to buid technique.

G A D
|3 |0 |2
|3 |3 |3
|0 |3 |2
|0 |3 |0
|2 |0 |x
|3 |x |x

Play in that order and the reverse. If you want a good song to learn that will help with chords then go to 911tabs.com and look up "House of the Rising Sun by The Animals"

Jebus
04-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Yeah, you should get a teacher. You'll feel less lost and at least you'll know you'll always be progressing.

and ughh...don't get a Gripmaster. It doesn't really do much for a playing. I bought it a few years ago believing it would make me play super fast. As it turns out, there are no shortcuts. Time wasted using the grip master is better spent on practicing on the actual guitar.

Dr.evil
04-01-2007, 01:45 AM
now im a drummer and i started with a ####### for a teacher so i taught myself for about a year then i got a better teacher and it helped me alot so your best bet would be to get a teacher

mrconeman
04-01-2007, 05:11 AM
and ughh...don't get a Gripmaster. It doesn't really do much for a playing. I bought it a few years ago believing it would make me play super fast. As it turns out, there are no shortcuts. Time wasted using the grip master is better spent on practicing on the actual guitar.

Thank God I wasn't the first person to say that.
Surprisingly other than that, Lodat was fairly accurate. You shouldn't try figuring songs out by ear when you're just starting anyway. I can do it, but it took me like 2 and a half years to be any good at it.