PDA

View Full Version : Little OCD Moments.

Jakebert
03-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Do you have any little quirks that remind you of some kind of OCD symptoms?

I have to check my alarm clock every single time I wake up in the middle of the night to make sure I set the alarm.

I turn on my lamp and look around my room every time I wake up in the middle of the night.

When I drive somewhere with my headlights on and it's not completely dark yet, I check to make sure I turned my lights off about 5 times. I also do this with locking/unlocking the door.

Whenever I have to pack clothes or something to go somewhere, I check my bag constantly to make sure I have everything.

I feel weird if my shoes aren't tied tight enough. Same goes for any pair of pants that I need a belt to wear.

...I'm sure there's more, but can't think of any offhand. What about you?

ninthlayer
03-31-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm obsessed with even numbers.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Not so much OCD moments, but I'm seriously convinced I had a form of Tourrette's as a kid, and some of the symptoms still have mild effects today. It's really annoying, probably even more annoying than OCD stuff, haha.

khaaaaan
03-31-2007, 01:32 PM
On my way out the front door, I usually check my pockets twice for keys. But that's probably pretty normal. Don't wanna lock yourself out.

H1T_That
03-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Not so much OCD moments, but I'm seriously convinced I had a form of Tourrette's as a kid, and some of the symptoms still have mild effects today. It's really annoying, probably even more annoying than OCD stuff, haha.

I think i have something like that too. I just sometimes for no reason pull stupid faces and shout random things. Then after i'm like, why the fuck did i just do that? *

Same with the OCD thing. I have to leave the T.V remote controls in a certain way or i can't settle. Also, when i'm eating a meal i have to eat things in a certain order.

* this could probably just be immaturity, lolz.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 01:34 PM
I think i have something like that too. I just sometimes for no reason pull stupid faces and shout random things. Then after i'm like, why the fuck did i just do that? *

Same with the OCD thing. I have to leave the T.V remote controls in a certain way or i can't settle. Also, when i'm eating a meal i have to eat things in a certain order.

* this could probably just be immaturity, lolz.

haha that sounds more like immaturity.

Tourrette's is very rarely anything to do with yelling things... it's usually small obsessions of having to, say, look at something a certain number of times, or touch your head to your knee a certain number of times (I used to have the former, but not the latter, when I was a kid). It's really weird.

wheelchairman
03-31-2007, 01:36 PM
I have to disagree with Khan, on everything. Even shade.

H1T_That
03-31-2007, 01:39 PM
haha that sounds more like immaturity.

Tourrette's is very rarely anything to do with yelling things... it's usually small obsessions of having to, say, look at something a certain number of times, or touch your head to your knee a certain number of times (I used to have the former, but not the latter, when I was a kid). It's really weird.

I know what you mean. I just get urges and can't stop myself shouting things out.

I don't mean i start screaming stupid childish things, i shout actual sentences. For example sitting watching a film with my girlfriend the other day i turned round and yelled "shut up for gods sake" when she was sitting there silently. Weired.

Jakebert
03-31-2007, 01:39 PM
I didn't know tourette's caused those little things. Yay, I have an excuse for doing those.

Yes, I have tourette's...it's really minor though, and aside from those little things, the only other symptom I still have is that my mouth twitches when I talk. It used to be really bad when I was younger, but I learned to control it enough to the point where I no longer get bad unless I'm really nervous about something.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Is yours just left over from when you were a kid? I thought it impossible for Tourette's to develop in adults.

killer_queen
03-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Before we moved in the house that we're living in right now, I used to turn on and turn off the light that stands right outside of my room before I went into my room and after I went out of my room. The light went boom (I don't know what you call it) a couple of times and my family tried to stop it but it didn't work. Luckily we moved out and I don't do it anymore.

I can leave all my friends and fun when I'm out if I feel that my socks are dirty. Not to mention I change my socks a couple of times a day.

Jakebert
03-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Is yours just left over from when you were a kid? I thought it impossible for Tourette's to develop in adults.

It's left over from when I was a kid. Right now it's at a point where you really can't tell that I have it unless you know that the mouth twitching is a sign and not just a little tick.

Mota Boy
03-31-2007, 02:00 PM
When I was younger, if I touched something, especially a wall or a railing, I'd have to touch it in the exact same way before I could move on. Then it got to the point where I'd have to flick my wrists afterwards to get off whatever "substance" from the object rubbed off on me. I also washed my hands a lot.

One of my friends apparently has a thing where he can only wipe his ass in multiples of eight.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 02:08 PM
I used to do that... if I touched something, I had to wipe it off. that was part of the Tourette's, also.

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 02:09 PM
If I push a button, like a TV remote, or playstation controller, if it doesn't feel right I have to do it again.
I'm weird with CD's, DVD's and games. When I'm playing them, the cover has to be out so that when I'm done I can take out the disc and put it back in its cover and put the cover away.

I always shake a packet of crisps before opening them.
I always take a small sip of a drink before I carry it from the kitchen for fear of spillage when I walk to wherever I'm going. This also applies to beer at bars.

Theres probably alot more.

killer_queen
03-31-2007, 02:12 PM
That reminds me, I always smell everything before I eat/drink them. And I started doing that after I bought my cat. wtf?

HornyPope
03-31-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm very anal about numbers of all forms. I can't quite explain it, but when I deal with numbers they just have to "make sense".

I twitch a lot too, and twist my hands and snap my fingers.

Also when I drink from a cup, I always have to touch the cup with my teeth before I drink the liquid.

Tizzalicious
03-31-2007, 02:21 PM
I have to disagree with Khan, on everything. Even shade.

And the importance of having your keys with you, clearly.

I always need to pee before I eat. When I don't really have to, I have to anyway by the time the food is there. It's really annoying.

Everything has to be tidy and neat and lined up.

I always match my clothes, my underwear and socks too.

There's probably a lot more, because I'm neurotic as hell, but I can't think of it now.

killer_queen
03-31-2007, 02:21 PM
This is going to sound really stupid but..um, what does "being anal about something" mean?

Llamas
03-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Oh, I play with my fingernails a lot, especially when they're long. I have nooo idea why.

HornyPope
03-31-2007, 02:27 PM
This is going to sound really stupid but..um, what does "being anal about something" mean?

It's short for anally retentive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentive

0r4ng3
03-31-2007, 02:53 PM
The only OCD thing I have is that I can't have pens, pencils, or really any sharp object pointing at me. I always have to turn it to face away from me.

F@ BANKZ
03-31-2007, 03:00 PM
I have to check outside the window to ensure it's not a non-uniform day at school: a result of one bad experience 2 years back.

Eccentric Sara
03-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Well,I actually HAVE OCD,and have had it for 15 years,so yes,there are many OCD-related things that affect my life. (I am currently on a waiting list to get therapy for it,and didn't know I had it for most of the 15 years!) My main obsession is just being clean,really! I have to take really long showers,spend ages brushing my teeth etc,otherwise I dont feel clean!I also repeat-read paragraphs when I read things and have to arrange posters/ornaments etc symmettrically and at right angles,otherwise I get really stressed. OCD sucks,and I am currently on antidepressants as a result.:(

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 03:08 PM
And writing everything in green.
Don't forget that.

Eccentric Sara
03-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Haha,I don't always write in green! And that ain't an OCD thing-I just do it cos its fun and looks more interesting!:)

ZagmenO
03-31-2007, 03:12 PM

Tourettes don't go away ever.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 03:12 PM
green and especially purple are too hard to read. I didn't read either of the last two points due to not wanting to strain my eyes.

Rag Doll
03-31-2007, 03:13 PM
When I was younger, if I touched something, especially a wall or a railing, I'd have to touch it in the exact same way before I could move on. Then it got to the point where I'd have to flick my wrists afterwards to get off whatever "substance" from the object rubbed off on me. I also washed my hands a lot.

i still do all of this. =\

Llamas
03-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Sure it does. It subsides as you grow up and mature. It's very rare for an adult to have noticeable Tourette's, as they go away as you get older. There's not a cure, though.

Eccentric Sara
03-31-2007, 03:17 PM
green and especially purple are too hard to read. I didn't read either of the last two points due to not wanting to strain my eyes.
You didn't miss much! Was just saying how I've had OCD most of my life and it er,sucks! This colour better for u?:p
And yes,I do the whole wiping my hands if I touch something dirty,and get through many bars of soap each week,as I am always washing my hands.:(

Llamas
03-31-2007, 03:33 PM
That is better, but still not as good as the regular color.

Did you know that washing your hands that much actually makes your hands dirtier? It sounds messed up... but when you wash your hands normally, you was off germs... but when you wash too long, or wash again too soon, you wash off skin cells, and then a deeper layer of skin, which isn't clean, is exposed. That is bad...

Eccentric Sara
03-31-2007, 03:42 PM
That is better, but still not as good as the regular color.

Did you know that washing your hands that much actually makes your hands dirtier? It sounds messed up... but when you wash your hands normally, you was off germs... but when you wash too long, or wash again too soon, you wash off skin cells, and then a deeper layer of skin, which isn't clean, is exposed. That is bad...
How would dirt get onto the deeper layer of skin if it is not normally exposed? Surely the skin above protects it from that,so when it is first exposed,it would not be dirty already?! Where did u read this? I have never had any problems related to over-washing my hands,other than dry,chapped hands.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Not dirty, like, dirt you normally find. It's natural dirt. your skin isn't made clean. It's similar to like, if you had blood on your skin, you wouldn't lick it off.

I didn't read it... I used to study biology, and I did research on skin. Like, not book research... the kind with microscopes and other lab equipment.

if your skin is dry and chapped from washing, that means that you've washed off too much of your own skin and you're exposing skin that is not ready to be exposed.

Tijs
03-31-2007, 03:49 PM
If I scratch a part of my body, like my right knee, I often have to scratch the other side too, my left knee.

My cousin has this thing that when he's standing still for a while, he has to touch the closest thing near him with his tongue or give it a kiss. Like a chair he's sitting on, or a door he's near to. Even people sometimes, he did that to me twice.
And when he's eating his food always has to touch his adams apple and chin first, the he smells it and then he eats it.

When I drive somewhere with my headlights on and it's not completely dark yet, I check to make sure I turned my lights off about 5 times. I also do this with locking/unlocking the door. Why do you need to turn them off? I always have the lights on, at everytime of the day.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Why do you need to turn them off? I always have the lights on, at everytime of the day.

Other than a possible wish to save electricity, most people need lights to be off due to society norms. People think it's necessary to have it dark when they sleep, which is weird, because tests have proven that light doesn't affect sleep.

WebDudette
03-31-2007, 03:53 PM
I know there are weird things I do but I can't remember any at the moment. Except that sometimes I will get an urge to do something and I have to do it, there is no question about it. It's not the same thing either it's always something different that I just HAVE to do. Oh and when I'm at the computer I can't have anything near my mouse and my mouse hand.

My best friend is extremely OCD. I recall one time we were walking down the street and I was listing off some thing and I forgotten one and mentioned it. He stopped walking and stood on one foot until I remembered what it was. He also has to do everything in threes.

Eccentric Sara
03-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Not dirty, like, dirt you normally find. It's natural dirt. your skin isn't made clean. It's similar to like, if you had blood on your skin, you wouldn't lick it off.

I didn't read it... I used to study biology, and I did research on skin. Like, not book research... the kind with microscopes and other lab equipment.

if your skin is dry and chapped from washing, that means that you've washed off too much of your own skin and you're exposing skin that is not ready to be exposed.
When you say "dirt",I think you mean bacteria,right? And yes,overwashing dries the skin out and causes excema,which is when the bacteria that normally live on the skin are completely washed away,creating a niche for more harmful bacteria.These bacteria cause inflammation of the skin,causing the excema.Moisturising handwash really helps,but it can be really expensive for someone like me,who washes their hands a lot.:(

Tijs
03-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Other than a possible wish to save electricity, most people need lights to be off due to society norms. People think it's necessary to have it dark when they sleep, which is weird, because tests have proven that light doesn't affect sleep.Car, lights of the car.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 04:03 PM
to sara: I know what excema is... which is about equally bad what I'm talking about. I don't know how to explain it further so you'll understand.

tjis: wow, talk about me posting without really reading... fuck. That makes absolutely no sense, then.

Tijs
03-31-2007, 04:04 PM
tjis: wow, talk about me posting without really reading... fuck. That makes absolutely no sense, then.
Tijs, my name is Tijs.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Tijs, my name is Tijs.

Dyslexia, I have dyslexia. :)

WebDudette
03-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Off Topic, I have such a difficult time sleeping with the light on.

Tijs
03-31-2007, 04:11 PM
People think it's necessary to have it dark when they sleep, which is weird, because tests have proven that light doesn't affect sleep.Coming back on this though; I used to sleep with my lights on until I was 16 or 17. I always needed to know where I was when I woke up.
But since I sleep with my lights off, I can't stand seeing a little light in the corner of my eye somewhere. I've put a sock over my DVD player so I don't see the little screen when it's on stand-by. Same goes for my alarm clock. I cover most of it up, except for the faint lights, I can stand them.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 04:14 PM
My roommate freshman year was like that, too. She was super weird, though. But she put paper that she colored black with a permanent marker over the little power light on my computer and stuff. It's very strange.

Rag Doll
03-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Same as Tijs. I used to sleep with the light on, so I could see right away when I woke up. Now, I can't handle even a little light and have to cover up light from the power button on my computer, or else i cant sleep.

Tijs
03-31-2007, 04:20 PM
I turn off my computer at night, saves me a couple pair of socks. And it makes too much noise. I don't like noises either when I sleep, but I think that's pretty common.

Izie
03-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Light wakes me up too.

I count stairs everywhere. Sometimes I count my steps and make my breathing rhythmically match. Like 4 steps breathe in, 4 steps breathe out.

I touch my fingers with my thumb when I'm nervous. First the fingernails against my thumb, then the other way around.

I eat the same thing for breakfast for months before I switch to something else. Right now I make coffee and cereal and I freak out if I'm missing either.

When people change my plans I get nervous and stressed.

And there's a billion things, I'm not exactly sane, but I can't think of any more examples right now.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 04:26 PM
I don't count stairs, but when I go running (which is rare... I HATE running), I count number of steps per breath. And it always has to be the same number until I choose to lower the number of steps per breath.

Izie
03-31-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't count stairs, but when I go running (which is rare... I HATE running), I count number of steps per breath. And it always has to be the same number until I choose to lower the number of steps per breath.

I do the same thing every time I run, otherwise I stop too soon. This way I start with 6, go to 4, go to 2 and then stop as I'm about to die :p

Llamas
03-31-2007, 04:36 PM
haha! I start with four, go to two, go to one, and then die. :)

Izie
03-31-2007, 04:37 PM
I should start going to one soon, but I'M SO LAZY :(

Llamas
03-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Going running? Yeah, it's for fags. I prefer to be lazy myself. :)

Izie
03-31-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm going tomorrow. I paid for that gym, I'd better go!

And I meant I should start going down to one step-one breath, I just didn't explain it clearly enough :p

Llamas
03-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Haha, gotcha. We have a shitty gym in our basement here... I have yet to check it out... god, I'm lazy. If you paid for it, you better go!!! Real gyms are nice. I miss the one at my University. :(

Jakebert
03-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Why do you need to turn them off? I always have the lights on, at everytime of the day.

I worded that wrong. What I ment was that after I turn my car off, I check about 5 times to make sure the lights are off so I don't drain the battery.

Venom Symbiote
03-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty much insane, even though my OCD is pretty mild (a lot of people have it so bad I'd probably friggin' kill myself if I had to deal with what they go through).

I just have little bullshit things like having to count the steps every time I walk up or down a flight of stairs. It's ridi-fucking-culous. Silently of course, I'm not some hobo talking to himself in public.

And also whenever I pet someone's dog or cat or whatever, or kill a bug (insects fucking shit me so bad) I kind of freak out and need to wash my hands more than once afterwards, anywhere between like 3 to 5 times depending on the severity of my brain's retardedness at that particular moment.

The worst thing about OCD is that you KNOW it's stupid. Like, if it were just insanity, it wouldn't be so bad. But when you KNOW what you're doing is stupid, and pointless, but some fucking random tick in your brain tells you "it needs to be done, don't fucking fight it", it's torture. Like "don't be a retard, what's going to happen if I don't count however many stairs there are at the front of the building?" - "just do it, cock-knocker". Gah.

Yaaay for chemical imbalances or whatever.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
04-01-2007, 10:44 AM
If I push a button, like a TV remote, or playstation controller, if it doesn't feel right I have to do it again.
Woah, same here.

I'm obsessed with even numbers.

Gah, me too. If I'm playing like a sports video game, I will try really hard to end with an even numbered score.

--
If I used to touch a doorknob, I would always touch it with my other hand before opening it.

I also hate to be in rooms with the door(s) opened. As lazy as I am, I will actually get up to go shut the door.

All About Eve
04-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Eurgh, OCD. Sometimes it can be fun, but it annoys me other times. Do I have to make a list? It'd take forever :(

mrconeman
04-01-2007, 11:35 AM
I realized last night when I went to bed, when I'm in bed I tend to think over conversations I've had with people, and kind of like...pick them apart in my mind like
"lol that was funny"
"why did I say something so stupid"
"yeah he/shes cool"

I do it all the time. I guess thats just normal to think back over your day when you sleep though. But probably not so normal in that I actually pick apart conversations and try to recall them as best I can.

All About Eve
04-01-2007, 11:38 AM
That's not OCD. OCD would be going over different options, hypothesizing the reactions to it, and so on and so forth.

0r4ng3
04-01-2007, 11:41 AM
That's actually what I do a lot. After most conversations, I think "what would happen if I said X instead of Y?", or "damn, that would have been a good time to say this", and stuff like that.

Duskygrin
04-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Check the alarm compulsively at night. Saintly horror of not waking up at due time I assume.

mrconeman
04-01-2007, 11:42 AM
There is always "Man I really should have said..." "Wouldn't it be funny if that had happened".

And this reminds me, when I'm walking home from school, its like a 30 minute walk or so, I always get this inner dialog, even with my MP3 player playing, I always get it. I plan out exactly what I'm going to do when I get in.

All About Eve
04-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Stuff I do:

*count the number of steps per sidewalk square, and stretch/shorten my steps so that it's always the same
*make everything symmetrical
*never leave anything unfinished (doesn't count if I don't start)
*always put my clothes (socks/shoes/glasses included) on in the exact same order
*do other various things in the same order every time and get pissed if it's messed up
*lots of other things that I can't think of because they're just second-nature to me now

ZagmenO
04-01-2007, 11:48 AM
I got this thing where I have to step over a crack in the ground with my left foot most of the time.

Llamas
04-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I do that, too. I count how many steps I make within each square of cement, and I try to make it the same number of steps in each square. And my foot always has to fall within the square. No stepping on the cracks, because then it's only half a step. And if the squares are oddly sized, I have to have a pattern in how I step. Like first square = 3 steps, next square = 3, next square = 2, next = 3, next = 3, next = 2... etc etc. So weird.

All About Eve
04-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Ew, gross, patterns. If it's not consistently the same, it's wrong.

I'm amazed that I can't think of more. I'm probably doing some right now, even. It's just so natural.

Eccentric Sara
04-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Yes,I do so many obsessive things that I don't realise I am doing them-until ppl give me funny looks,that is!For example,if I'm at home, and I want to use my mobile,I have to put a tissue over it,so I don't get my ahnds dirty,as you can't get phones wet,so you can't clean them properly...There are millions of other things.I can't even hold down a job at the moment my OCD is so bad...:(

wheelchairman
04-01-2007, 03:42 PM
You know, you're like gone all the time n' shit, and we're all like wonderin' "where's eccentric sara? We have noodles sara but no excentric sara."

Eccentric Sara
04-01-2007, 03:57 PM
You know, you're like gone all the time n' shit, and we're all like wonderin' "where's eccentric sara? We have noodles sara but no excentric sara."
Haha!:D Didn't know anyone noticed I was gone! I don't have regular net access at the mo (I won't go into why!),but am hoping to get it in my flat in the next couple of months! :)

JoY
04-02-2007, 07:01 AM
although I don't really have little habits like that, I'm neurotic to the core. & chaotic. I constantly check everything multiple times, when leaving the house, while on my way to somewhere, every few seconds. do I have my keys, did I lock the door, do I have my things, do I need to call someone, where's my phone, what time is it, am I forgetting an appointment, where's my agenda, do I need to prepare something for tomorrow, what will I be doing tomorrow, am I still carrying my bag, or did I leave it on the tram, what time is it, how many bags have I got on me, is it the same amount I had when I left the house...

I've lost, dropped, forgotten so many things in my life, that I'm constantly checking if I've still got everything & if I'm not forgetting anything. & I'm always late. everywhere & anywhere. the concept of time just doesn't work in my head.

sometimes, when I was younger ('till 16, or so), I would walk around with something, not think about it & just.. relax my hand & basically drop it, not noticing anything. & it'd be only later that I found out I'd "lost" it. I daydream a lot & it makes me distracted & forgetful. daydreaming so much actually is anything but relaxing, it's extremely tiring.

when I was two, I had a tic, but over the years you notice how disturbed your environment reacts to that, so you try not to do it in company. slowly it eventually kinda faded away. sometimes people remind me of the days I still had that tic & then I'm embarrassed. I don't like to talk about it. even though I was never totally unpopular, I got teased for it a lot. & when you're old enough to realise it's weird, then it becomes embarrassing.

then of course I bite my nails 'till my fingers bleed, I smoke.. I had more of these neurotic little habits, but with some effort I got rid of most of those. & I'm very neurotic when it comes to my dayrhythm. like I can't eat or sleep around unusual times of the day, or eat/sleep/stay somewhere else than I had planned. nothing can go any other way than the options I had in mind, because then I feel like it interferes with my plans, my rhythm & it really does & causes me to be even more forgetful & chaotic.

I need a steady lifestyle to keep everything, including myself, in order, but I'm really unable to maintain a steady lifestyle & life in itself is full of surprises - nothing always works out like you had planned & most often I can embrace the aspect of the unexpected, or whatever, but sometimes I just can't & then I throw fits. mostly anger directed to myself, because I hate the way I can't maintain any form of control over myself & my life.

eating healthy helps, though. when I remember to eat & the circumstances allow me to eat healthy at regular times, I can plan & adjust to the things I didn't plan/expect a whole lot better. & I become less forgetful & more on time, which provides circumstances, mainly time, to adjust to any change of plans & also plans can only be made & work out, if you're on time.

Zeall
04-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Things like this piss me off, i hate how so many people are confusing OCD with habits

Counting stairs as you walk up them - Habit

Counting stairs, forgetting the number, and HAVING to restart or having a mental collapse because you physically can't - OCD

Oh noes, i just realised i bite my nails and have done for the last 10 years, now i'm going to whine about how i have OCD on a forum where no body else gives a shit!

i'm going to watch Scrubs

(i'm having an extremely bad day)

Edit: JoY, i see you refer to them as habits, at least you (and some others) got it right

Nina
04-02-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm very obsessive compulsive. I made a list of the stuff I do in my journal.. you'll all pretty much think I'm insane but that's okay.

- I have to numerize everything (when it makes sense, of course)
- the toilet paper roll has to roll from the top, not from underneath
- when I read a book, I have to stop after finishing a chapter. Otherwise I'll feel incomplete.
- after I brush my teeth, i have to flick the toothbrush with my fingers, so the water shakes out
- after I drink from anything I have to wipe it off. Even if it's a straw. I HAVE TO!
- I kick shower curtains to see if somebody is in the shower, waiting to kill me
- when I am alone at home and go to sleep all doors must be closed, so I can hear it when somebody who is not supposed to be there walks around
- In restaurants, I re-oranize the sugar packets so they are all the same way and in order
- I always clear the microwave number and I HAVE to stop at 0:01, because I hate the beep sound
- my alarm must always be set in intervals of 5 minutes
- I automatically gag when I think of vomiting or hear a story concerning throwing up
- I have to wash my hands after touching animals, even my own cutie bird who is prolly cleaner than I am (she cleans herself aaalll daaayyy) lolz.
- when I write on paper, I hate doing mistakes. I hate crossing things out or erasing them. I'd rather start all over again on a new sheet. Yeah, it's intense.
- my books have to be lined up from tallest to shortest on my bookshelve
- when I'm nervous or bored I draw the number 8 or the "endless" sign on my leg
- I never MIX food. Like, pudding and whipped cream, or ice cream and whipped cream...never ever mixed. EVER.
- I cant stand it when people shake bottles. I haaaatttee it when liquids get shaked!
- I can't sit at a table in any public area with my back facing the majority of the crowd

Tizzalicious
04-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Nina, do you remember the date of that entry? Because I either replied or made an entry myself with a list, and I wanna find mine!

Bazza
04-02-2007, 09:31 AM
My only OCD-esque problem is labelling things. Everything on my computer has to be ordered and sorted to an almost obsessive amount. I can't have things in "Random" folders, it irritates me. I go to huge lengths to label all my photo's from holidays etc, finding out exact names for buildings and places. All my mp3s have to be perfectly tagged as well, and it takes me ages to find proper track names/numbers and what albums they come from.... I even started a database for it all... I guess that's obsessive...

Paint_It_Black
04-02-2007, 09:36 AM
I have to check my alarm clock every single time I wake up in the middle of the night to make sure I set the alarm.

Yep. Sometimes I have to get up and check I signed out/closed everything on my computer too.

If I push a button, like a TV remote, or playstation controller, if it doesn't feel right I have to do it again.I have something like that. I'll regularly be pressing buttons on my TV remote for the entire time I'm watching. I just feel compelled to keep pressing them. Occasionally while playing a PS2 game I'll have an irresistible urge to press a button, even if I know it's a really bad idea to press that button right now. And I keep left clicking my mouse whenever I'm not typing. I often fuck up the page I'm reading by accidentally clicking on a link or advertisement.

That makes absolutely no sense, then.

He turns off the car lights when he's done, because otherwise he would get a dead battery. Make sense now?

I realized last night when I went to bed, when I'm in bed I tend to think over conversations I've had with people, and kind of like...pick them apart in my mind like
"lol that was funny"
"why did I say something so stupid"
"yeah he/shes cool"

I do it all the time. I guess thats just normal to think back over your day when you sleep though. But probably not so normal in that I actually pick apart conversations and try to recall them as best I can.

I do that. Even going as far as to spend long periods of time wondering if people really took things the way I thought they did, or if I totally misinterpreted the entire situation. I recall every detail of their response, as much as possible, and analyze it. With my stomach clenching in and out the whole time. I've improved a little though.

That's not OCD. OCD would be going over different options, hypothesizing the reactions to it, and so on and so forth.

Yeah, that. I do that.

One of the most irritating things is I have to stop reading any time something doesn't "feel right", and then at least restart the entire paragraph. Uh, like just now, I re-read this paragraph about 10 times. Often I'll only get a few words in and automatically restart. It can make me take a very long time to read something, and makes me immensely vulnerable to distractions. If someone talks to me while reading I'll never finish the page until they leave the room. One bonus of that is I'm a really, really good proof reader. All my friends have me proof read for them. Even when I manage to go quickly any mistakes seem to jump out at me. You know how most people read the entire word, and not the letters? I don't seem to do that. It's probably why poor spelling really irritates me. I can do it, but it takes a conscious decision to do so.

I used to need complete silence to be able to sleep. I grew up in the country and silent nights were the norm. I also needed total darkness. Now I live in a city, and can't sleep without a fairly loud fan on. I got used to it in the summer when it was so hot I needed the fan, and then I started keeping it on in the winter because I missed the noise. Not just any noise will do, it has to be a fairly loud, constant drone. Nothing intermittent. Oh, and I also sleep better in daylight. I worked nights for a year and can't seem to shake the preference.

When I sign out of something, like my email or this BBS, I keep refreshing the page over and over to check I really logged out. Then I'll go to my homepage then return here again to make sure yet again. It only takes a few moments usually, but if I'm particularly tired I can get stuck doing it for minutes at a time.

T-6005
04-02-2007, 10:36 AM
If I walk along the street and there's a pattern on the floor that's got more than one color and one foot's stepping on one color more than the other foot is, I'll start stepping on that color with my other foot to even it out.

Same with cracks in the sidewalk. If my right foot is walking on more cracks than my left, I'll change up my steps and watch for upcoming cracks to stick my left foot on.

I check whether my door is locked about 10 times before bed.

I find sitting perfectly still unbearable. I have to be moving either my fingers or my legs, at the very least. It also helps me concentrate to be fiddling with something.

H1T_That
04-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Why does everyone on the BBS have OCD all of a sudden?

mrconeman
04-02-2007, 10:57 AM
We don't. It's OCD esque little habits.
Everyone has something like this.

JoY
04-03-2007, 04:29 AM
when you specifically ask people if they have habits like these, you'll see literally everyone does. OCD is really one or more of those little neurotic habits everyone basically has, magnified to a proportion that it interferes with normal life & even disrupts every day behaviour. actually, I think about every single mental disorder out there is a relatively normal personality feature everyone more or less has, magnified to a degree it causes dysfunction.

making a topic specifically about neurotic little habits puts everyone's odd twitches under a magnifying glass & rips them out of the context of personality, frequency, severety, et cetera, making everyone look like they have some form of OCD. well, everyone's obsessive at times about certain things, everyone can be compulsive in a way that they unwillingly do shit, just because they feel they have to, but it's only a disorder if it somehow makes you more or less dysfunctional in society.

Thi, the things you described seem to have more to do with being restless in your mind, which can express itself physically at times by for instance looking for structures & patterns. I know I do that all the time. maybe I'm wrong, but I recognised what you said in things I do myself.

----------
I remember a patient with OCD, who talked about her experiences with it in front of our class. she went nuts with fear of doing something, or NOT doing something/neglecting to do something, that in result could cause harm to someone else. somehow pretty noble & caring. she was a nurse, so yeah, a rather caring person. first she noticed she started to check her patients numerous times, which made her surrounding think she double checked it, because she was forgetful/neglective/unsure of herself.. something that in her profession would be a disaster & not only that, but it'd put people in danger. that's where the whole fear came from in the first place, the responsibility for people's health.

she was doing her job just fine, though, but her brain never registered the signal that should give a normal person the natural feeling of satisfaction & "reward" for doing your job & doing it well. this logically caused repetitive behaviour. & that's basically part of the underlying cause of OCD. when doing something, you (well, imagine that's you) don't get the natural response from the brain, so you do it again. & again. & again. & again.

soon it became worse & it wasn't only troubling her at work (having to call collegues at night multiple times to ask them to check if she'd for instance changed the IV & changed it correctly, or even go back herself in the middle of the night, things like that), but she started having trouble leaving the house, because she was constantly afraid she'd left the gas on, causing an explosion in her house, that could hurt the neighbours. when she was on her way, she had to drive back every few meters to see if she hadn't run over somebody, or if there wasn't any glass on the street, that she COULD have seen, but didn't see, which could later hurt children playing in the streets.

all in all, she couldn't really do anything & not do anything out of fear it'd directly, or indirectly hurt someone, also if she might had been able to prevent it. that basically makes it impossible to exist. & the times she left the house, it took her ages, up to an entire day to get at the destination & even longer to do what she came for to do, checking all that shit over twenty times, et cetera.

everyone sometimes is scared that something they do, or don't do, can cause any harm or damage. like, when you do see glass lying on the street & you pretend to not see it & move on, then later on you can still wonder if anyone could've hurt himself on the glass. or double checking, if you left the gas on.. that's not abnormal, it's just taking precautions & making sure your memory is serving you right, because some things you just do automatically without thinking. plus, memory fails everyone every now & then. it's the fact that in her case she couldn't even leave the house anymore. it'd be too stressful, it'd take too long & it wouldn't have been productive, because she couldn't function anymore.

JoY
04-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Other than a possible wish to save electricity, most people need lights to be off due to society norms. People think it's necessary to have it dark when they sleep, which is weird, because tests have proven that light doesn't affect sleep.

I hope I'm explaining this correctly, but anyway.. light (& absence of light, darkness) is perceived by photoreceptors in the retina, that give off a signal to the pineal gland to convert serotonin to melatonin, when it's dark. melatonin is necessary for sleep (a theory says mankind became dependant on it during evolution, but yeah, whatever), so the convertion from serotonin to melatonin is essential in developing a circadian rhythm based on 24 hour intervals, that matches the environmental night & day cycle.

that's why it's better not to stare at a direct light source, like a screen, right before sleeping, like watching tv, or sitting behind the computer, for instance.

Zeall
04-03-2007, 05:29 AM
JoY, that is a very informative post, which reminded me of this link i read a while ago:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question53.htm

It's quite a good read

JoY
04-03-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm familiar with the functions of the retina, rhodopsin & vitamin A, but still, thanks for the reminder. =)

Zeall
04-03-2007, 05:41 AM
I'm familiar with the functions of the retina, rhodopsin & vitamin A, but still, thanks for the reminder. =)

No, no, no, don't get me wrong, it wasn't aimed at you, i just thought if anyone was interested in what you wrote, they could read on a bit more. I'd already assumed you knew what i put :)

JoY
04-03-2007, 05:52 AM
oh no, it really is good to refresh my memory & stuff every now & then. so I meant what I said. I look up information like that myself all the time to remind me of the details of things exactly like that.

Zeall
04-03-2007, 05:56 AM
oh no, it really is good to refresh my memory & stuff every now & then. so I meant what I said. I look up information like that myself all the time to remind me of the details of things exactly like that.

That's an extremely good habit to get into, i do it but not as often as i should. Although i think i've read about RAID too often because it interests me, i'm such a nerd...

khaaaaan
06-16-2007, 04:48 PM
My friend Phil was once stalked across Copenhagen, to my place. This was the day I decided to sneak up behind him when he came out of the elevator. So when I whispered "time to die" he totally freaked out (he had avoided the guy by pretending to go into a kiosk and then just running the other direction.)

After this epsiode, I always look left when I exit the elevator at Per's place. Even though I can see him down the hall to the right by his front door, I still look left.

T-6005
06-16-2007, 04:57 PM
I just remembered a big one. I check my pulse about 20 times a day.

coke_a_holic
06-16-2007, 05:01 PM
When I brush my teeth, I have to spit in multiples of three, which can be an issue if the first three don't get rid of all the toothpaste. Also, things have to line up or be symmetrical, otherwise, I get kinda nervous and can't stop thinking about it (this is usually with, like, a stack of papers or something).

Also, I occasionally feel a sudden need to have a certain sound or letter in a word, like if I haven't said anything with an "L" sound lately, I might get a weird compulsion to have a word with the letter L in it.

Llamas
06-16-2007, 05:10 PM
I hope I'm explaining this correctly, but anyway.. light (& absence of light, darkness) is perceived by photoreceptors in the retina, that give off a signal to the pineal gland to convert serotonin to melatonin, when it's dark. melatonin is necessary for sleep (a theory says mankind became dependant on it during evolution, but yeah, whatever), so the convertion from serotonin to melatonin is essential in developing a circadian rhythm based on 24 hour intervals, that matches the environmental night & day cycle.

that's why it's better not to stare at a direct light source, like a screen, right before sleeping, like watching tv, or sitting behind the computer, for instance.

I had missed this post before.

I was unaware of this stuff about Melatonin coming from Seratonin... I just read some journals where they ran experiments, sending people with what are considered "normal" sleep schedules to Antarctica for an entire year. Most of the subjects had no changes in sleep during the all-dark or all-light periods, and the ones that did actually shifted toward sleeping more during the all-light periods. So great, conflicting information. :(

T: I've recently had the compulsion to check my pulse a lot, but I've been paranoid lately. Do you check to make sure it's "normal"? Or do you have a target heart rate you're going for?

T-6005
06-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Bri - I actually developed it as a way to fight off panic attacks. Last summer I was having panic attacks day and night and became absolutely certain that there was something cripplingly wrong with my body that the doctors were missing, and that I was a goner. I developed the habit of checking my pulse to reassure myself that it was completely normal and that I was completely fine, and it's lasted me until now.

Of course, there's always the scenario where my heart is racing and I feel it, so I freak, so it races some more, so I freak some more - but for some reason now the simple act of checking my pulse, racing or not, will help me calm down some (unless I am high. I should never check my pulse when I am high).

sKratch
06-16-2007, 05:41 PM
I used to have a strange symmetry thing when I was fairly young where for example if I did certain things with my right hand I would have to do it with my left. It's hard to describe what activities fit the bill though. I wish I could say I always had to jerk off twice because of it.
I have to have my firefox tabs a certain way because I'm very used to it. I always have: Keys in the right pocket, phone in the left pocket, wallet in the back right pocket. Don't steal my shit. Most of my quirky things are habitual over obsessively compulsive in general though. I'm pretty sure this entire paragraph qualifies as habitual really.

JoY
06-19-2007, 09:13 AM
I had missed this post before.

I was unaware of this stuff about Melatonin coming from Seratonin... I just read some journals where they ran experiments, sending people with what are considered "normal" sleep schedules to Antarctica for an entire year. Most of the subjects had no changes in sleep during the all-dark or all-light periods, and the ones that did actually shifted toward sleeping more during the all-light periods. So great, conflicting information. :(

T: I've recently had the compulsion to check my pulse a lot, but I've been paranoid lately. Do you check to make sure it's "normal"? Or do you have a target heart rate you're going for?

maybe it's that they've already developed a "normal" sleep schedule, based on the circadian rhythm of 24 hour intervals. I can imagine when that sense of time is already developed, it takes a whole lot to mess it up. think of a jetlag, that's your circadian rhythm staying stable & hanging on to the time zone it's used to. it can take days before you recover from it, or you adjust to the new time zone with a different pattern of light & dark pretty easily. it's also interesting to know where the subjects originally came from.

light isn't the only thing that triggers convertion from serotonin to melatonin anyway, it's pretty much a matter of conditioning. people can be very sensitive for light & absence of light, though, & then it's not exactly advicable to watch tv, or sit in front of your computer, right before you go to sleep.

about the checking your pulse to T & Brianna; there's something called the "white coat"-phenomenon; as soon as you know someone is going to check either your respiration, bloodpressure, or pulse, it becomes faster/higher than usual. probably, when you went to the doc, he was checking your pulse? it could very well be, that he was checking your respiration instead, while pretending to check your pulse, to avoid this affect. trics like that. you can imagine the same happens, when you do it all the time. it's something you do, so you consciously, or unconsciously prepare for the action & so does your heartrate.

the fact you check your pulse all the time, means you get kinda a compulsive command from your brain to do so, which begins in the center of your brain that warns for danger. if this is the case, if you really compulsively check your pulse, then if you ignore that little voice inside of you & you don't do it.. you feel like you're panicking, like it'd be dangerous not to take the precautions of checking your pulse, because something could be wrong, right? think about it.. the activation of that center in the brain, that warns for danger & that gives the command to check your pulse, that alone increases your heartrate, or maybe makes it skip a beat. so every time you do give in to that command & do it, it's not even a reliable result you're getting.

believe me, as long as you have no structural complaints, like banging headaches, a racing heart, shortness of breath, aches behind the chestbone, there's no reason to get worried & check yourself all the time. when you're stressed, worried, or nervous, it's very normal your heartrate goes up, so don't be surprised when you give in to that little voice inside your head that's telling you to check your pulse & it appears to be racing. I'm sure you know it's irrational to check your pulse all the time & you probably tell yourself it is, but I thought maybe it'd help if someone else told you that too.