PDA

View Full Version : Dexter and Noodles on the Albums

Blastero
03-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Does anyone here know how Dexter and Noodles split up the guitar parts on the albums? I would assume that Noodles plays most of the stuff, and almost all of the lead parts, but I have seen videos of Dexter recording huge portions of songs before. Do they double up on the rhythm parts?

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
None of this is based on fact. But I've always assumed that Dexter wrote and recorded probably like 90% of the rhythm guitar, and either double tracks it, or has Noodles double track it.

And then Noodles records all the lead guitar. And yeah, theres exceptions, Dexter has played one or two of the solos in Offspring songs. "What Happened to You" for example was Dexter's solo, and the main riff in TKAA I think is usually played live by Dexter.

Footman
03-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Here Dexter play a lead @ Can't Repeat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfyYlPvfRvg

Llamas
03-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Wow, that's a pretty bad performance. Dexter hit a wrong note while playing lead, and his singing was not on at all. Man.

I think Noodles is a better guitarist than Dexter, and I wish he always played lead. Ah well.

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 01:59 PM
That was a pretty poor performance. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a really good performance of that particular song.

Noodles is, almost without doubt better than Dexter, Dexter writes the hits though. I always say Noodles is a much better guitarist than what we hear. Those solos on the first album are the best they have recorded, and that was 18 years ago now. Noodles could easily out do what he has done on current albums, but I think he just realizes its not Offspring's sound to have musically complex leads.

That little section on the Americana DVD with him playing classical guitar is great too.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I've also never seen or heard a good performance of Can't Repeat. To me, that song always felt like a huge half ass song that they slapped together so they could put out a greatest hits that all their fans would buy.

I looove Noodles' solos on s/t. Love. They're not like omg amazing, but they're just really melodically well done and fit the songs so well. I think that those solos do work with the music, and I even think he had some nice guitarwork in "pay the man".

Every time I hear a fuck up during a live performance, it's Dexter. I love the guy, but he should leave the guitaring to Noodles.

I don't have the Americana DVD. :( maybe I can find it on youtube.

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 02:05 PM
woops. I meant the Huck It DVD :o

Dexter isn't so bad though, he always gets that solo on What Happened to you really well. And ...well not to call it complex, but for their genre it sure ain't bad.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 02:11 PM
oh haha, I have that one, but haven't watched it. :-x

Yeah, he does nail that one solo... but he's been playing it for 13 years. He'd better be able to play it! :P

goonadie1day
03-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Wow, that's a pretty bad performance. Dexter hit a wrong note while playing lead, and his singing was not on at all. Man.

I think Noodles is a better guitarist than Dexter, and I wish he always played lead. Ah well.

Well first off that sound quality on the video itself is suckass. I don't think its fair to say that... I would love to see you play perfect everytime... and part of being human is making mistakes... i have never seen him foul up and not recover from it or make it really obvious.

Personally i love Dexter... and Noodles... i have no objection to seeing Dexter lead or do solos.

EDIT: And furthur more... would The Offspring even exist without Dexter?

Yeah, I've also never seen or heard a good performance of Can't Repeat. To me, that song always felt like a huge half ass song that they slapped together so they could put out a greatest hits that all their fans would buy.

o.O and how do you figure that? Can't Repeat is my classes graduation song. Its a really great song. I DO realize not everyone has to like it... but i think its a great song.

Every time I hear a fuck up during a live performance, it's Dexter. I love the guy, but he should leave the guitaring to Noodles.

Ok... and what if Noodles made a mistake... which im sure he has. First off, everyone makes mistakes. 2nd, Dexter's mistakes are probably more noticeable because he is the lead singer... and he plays guitar for some of the songs. Its not easy to do both... and if he does make a mistake its not like he acts like a bitch about it or even makes it noticeable...

Mistakes happen... created equally amongst all people. You ought to look at the whole picture instead of condeming one person!

Llamas
03-31-2007, 04:15 PM
bunch of crap

Wow. I didn't "condemn" dexter. I said that I love the guy. God damn. I love his lyric writing, and I enjoy his voice a lot of the time. I think it's fair for me to think he should leave the lead guitar work to Noodles. I also think it's fair for me to think Can't Repeat is a generic song. Just cause it was your graduation song doesn't make it great. My graduation song was Incubus's "Drive". Does that make it great? Two years before me was Vitamin C. Come on, what was the point in bringing that up?

Obviously everyone makes mistakes. Dexter just makes really noticable mistakes when playing lead guitar, and made a lot of mistakes in that performance of Can't Repeat. It's just fact. It's stupid to deny the mistakes, or try saying "everyone makes mistakes". Yes, this is a simple fact I am aware of. Quit being whiny.

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 04:37 PM
lolol I never really realized why goona was regarded as such a moron until now.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 04:48 PM
I figured it out once I saw that she misspelled her username. :P

Blastero
03-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Noodles isn't perfect either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OWUZotbkJw&mode=related&search=

Llamas
03-31-2007, 05:33 PM
I never once said Noodles was perfect... Kind of dumb for you to point that out.

edit: that just more so reinforces the comment that both coneman and I mentioned that there's no excellent performance of that song.

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Thats the other performance of that song I meant anyway.
Noodles' messed up the riff the first time the second was a technical malfunction, you can see him run to his pedal to get it going.

Not defending his mistakes, but the third time, and little outro were played better than the first video (when Dexter played it)
You just helped prove our point.

Venom Symbiote
03-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Like T3h Cone Conez said, just about all of the solos ("WITWHTY" aside) are done by Noodles, Dexter handles the more basic stuff due to it being almost fucking impossible to sing well and play decent guitar licks at the same time. Not many people can do that, at least well.

However, it's been noted that Noodles isn't very good at playing the "Middle Eastern-y" riffs, that's usually Dexter.

So overall, Noodles is obviously the better guitarist, but they mix it up a little. Sometimes they swap places, although it's rare.

But just about any time you hear a "Come Out And Play"-esque Doon Coon riff, it's usually Dexutaah-san.

Blastero
03-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Like T3h Cone Conez said, just about all of the solos ("WITWHTY" aside) are done by Noodles, Dexter handles the more basic stuff due to it being almost fucking impossible to sing well and play decent guitar licks at the same time. Not many people can do that, at least well.

However, it's been noted that Noodles isn't very good at playing the "Middle Eastern-y" riffs, that's usually Dexter.

So overall, Noodles is obviously the better guitarist, but they mix it up a little. Sometimes they swap places, although it's rare.

But just about any time you hear a "Come Out And Play"-esque Doon Coon riff, it's usually Dexutaah-san. So it's been mentioned that Noodles isn't good at playing them? Where? I don't see why he wouldn't be able to play them, considering some of the other stuff he can play.

Venom Symbiote
03-31-2007, 07:38 PM
I think he said it somewhere years ago. I doubt it's that he can't play them, just moreso that Bryan has more of a natural knack for playing them.

It's more of a strong-point/weak-point thing.

Overall Noodles obviously kicks him in the goolies, though.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
03-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Yeah, as Venom said in a kind of weird way... Dexter plays the main hook riff in Come Out And Play, and as said before Can't Repeat and TKAA.

Also, i don't think anybody mentioned he recorded the Head Around You solo. It was on that youtube video called 'Recording Splinter', with the very short Pass Me By demo at the end.

Oh, and Dexter plays the lead the whole way through in Dirty Magic, but that's because it's easier to sing and play the lead with that song.

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Yesss.
Dirty Magic is the one I always forget when thinking of what songs he plays lead on.

Yeah, the riff Noodles plays would be a bitch to sing over.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
03-31-2007, 08:10 PM
due to it being almost fucking impossible to sing well and play decent guitar licks at the same time. Not many people can do that, at least well.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but (and yes, you've already mentioned 'Not Many') i have the need to mention Chris Cheny of The Living End :p And yeah, obviously there's a lot more people we could list too, but i guess it should be in the other bands thread, oh well too late! :rolleyes:

Blastero
03-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Are you guys basing who you think played what off of how they do it live? Because you know they might do it differently live.

Ninty Man
03-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Dexter leads Come out and play??? I didn't knew that.

Well... Noodles isn't Van Halen, but hey he perform great solos like TKAA, Million Milles and The Noose

Venom Symbiote
03-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Chris Cheney is an overrated "hasn't been good since 1998" trendy Channel Vwhore Aussie gimp who I hope chokes while eating a ham sandwich and dies.

That is all.

The Living End have eaten goat anus ever since Roll On.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-01-2007, 02:07 AM
A few questions, Venom.

a) Are you musically inclined? (Play an instrument, or know how to read music)

b) Have you heard 'E-boogie' by The Living End?

goonadie1day
04-01-2007, 02:43 PM
I DO realize not everyone has to like it... but i think its a great song.

Wow I also think it's fair for me to think Can't Repeat is a generic song.

I quoted myself because i did say that yes... not everyone thinks like i do. OBVIOUSLY.

Dexter handles the more basic stuff due to it being almost fucking impossible to sing well and play decent guitar licks at the same time. Not many people can do that, at least well.

See i tried to say that earlier... It really is hard to try and do two things from memomry at once... o.O

Dexter's mistakes are probably more noticeable because he is the lead singer... and he plays guitar for some of the songs. Its not easy to do both...