PDA

View Full Version : Race Against Myself

Llamas
03-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Time to get that crap out of the new album thread.

It doesn't sound anything like LP or LB... lyrically, kind of similar to an LP song. But Limp Bizkit/?? What??? No way. Not at all.

0r4ng3
03-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Well, it's a good thing you made this thread before I did something silly like posting my opinion in the New Album thread.

Anyway...

Linkin Park? Limp Bizkit? Race Against Myself doesn't sound at all like either band. Back when I first heard the song, I related it to Staind, but even that was a stretch.

mrconeman
03-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Venom Symbiote is a fairly idiotic one.
Indeed the theme with the whole angstyness is similar to something Linkin Park would do, the song is still so far distanced from either named band, referencing them was just moronic. I mean, please.

All in all, it's an okay song, I'm not a big fan, but I wouldn't skip it, that kind of thing.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Haha, sorry Jesse. :( You beat me to the punch!

Anyway, I like the song! So we're gonna have our doom party and listen to RAM. Maybe we'll even speed it up a bit.

Venom Symbiote
03-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Ok, ok, I went too far with the Fred Durst & Co. reference.

But that track basically is a nu-metal song. If that had been released as a single in the Americana or Co1 days? Teenyboppers everywhere would eat that shit up.

It's nu-metal. It's generic, immature-lyric filled whiney bullshit.

Seriously the worst song they've written since "Want You Bad". It's up there with the giant dickery of "Way Down The Line" and "So Alone".

It's a bullshit of a song.

Llamas
03-31-2007, 08:39 PM
It's not nu metal... there is no electronic stuff in it, and there's no heavy metal grunge or trash to it... it's just a heavier rock song.

I don't see it as gimmicky at all. It's just generic. But most of their music is generic in one way or another. Most of it is just generic pop punk instead of heavier rock.

Ninty Man
03-31-2007, 11:14 PM
Ok, ok, I went too far with the Fred Durst & Co. reference.

But that track basically is a nu-metal song. If that had been released as a single in the Americana or Co1 days? Teenyboppers everywhere would eat that shit up.

It's nu-metal. It's generic, immature-lyric filled whiney bullshit.

Seriously the worst song they've written since "Want You Bad". It's up there with the giant dickery of "Way Down The Line" and "So Alone".

It's a bullshit of a song.

Way down the line???? FUCK U XD

I agreed with everythying else

Forza
04-01-2007, 04:46 AM
It's a generic rocksong, but it does not remind me of LP or LB at all. Honestly I don't see why you lot dislike it. The chorus at 2.42 is the best sound I've ever heard from the Offspring. Sheer brilliance.

The Noose and Lightning Rod do remind me of nu-metal, more than Race Against Myself does.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-01-2007, 04:51 AM
None of the Splinter songs sound even remotely like metal, get over it :mad:

NMHFBD
04-01-2007, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=0r4ng3;988958]Linkin Park? Limp Bizkit? Race Against Myself doesn't sound at all like either band. Back when I first heard the song, I related it to Staind, but even that was a stretch. QUOTE]

heh.you're not the only one. it reminded me of Staind also when i heard it for the first time.i have a question for all RAM haters: Did you start hating this song after first listen or you get tired of it after a while?

JohnnyNemesis
04-01-2007, 10:50 AM
I immediately related it to Staind when I first heard it, except that the song grew on me and I still hate Staind. But I would go as far as saying it's nu-metal.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm actually agreeing with Venom. First time for everything I guess. Except I'm taking it a step further and saying it's the worst song they've ever put out.

ZagmenO
04-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Worst song for me was the prison one.

Forza
04-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Fuck; and I thought it was the only good song on Splinter with Long Way Home and Never Gonna Find Me.

Worst song they ever put out? I can think of many worse.

HeadAroundU
04-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I love RAM. It's some kind of cool-pseudo-post-grunge-nu-nu-nu-metal-rock. :D

Great guitar riffs, perfect drums, a dark and cool song. It's compact. Much better than Long way home which is a "pick and mix" song, totaly uninspired.

JohnnyNemesis
04-01-2007, 03:57 PM
In my opinion, it's the worst KIND of song they've ever released, but not the worst song they've ever relased.

What I mean is that the song itself is fine, but the KIND of song it is? SO annoying: there is absolutely nothing unique about the song in any way whatsoever and any one of a million identical nu-metal or alternative rock bands could have easily recorded that song and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

It's really similar to "Defy You" in that sense.

Llamas
04-01-2007, 04:04 PM
But Ricky, songs like All Along, No Brakes, Leave it Behind, Da Hui, etc, etc, etc, could just as easily have been recorded by any of 8 million pop punk bands...

JohnnyNemesis
04-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Not quite, but even if so, there's an issue of quality as well. It's one thing to put out great music even if any ol' pop-punk band can do it, but to do it with bad music and horriblly embarrasing and typically corporate rock lyrics...the cringe factor is higher.

Venom Symbiote
04-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Except "Defy You" was actually fun. Agreed that it's nothing innovative or special, any punk/rock/gimmick band could write it. But it actually suits The Offspring well, Dexter sounds awesome singing it (although the verse lyrics are kinda weak as fuck), and it's just feel-good, pumping rock track that makes you want to compete, play football or paintball or some shit.

"Race Against Myself" is...um, ok, I can understand that some people like it, not everyone shares my opinion on it. But the people who are saying "it's not nu-metal!" because nu-metal is such a dirty word in the music business, fuck off. The song is P.O.D. without the rap. People mentioned Staind, yeah, that fits well too.

It's nu-metal as all fuck.

JohnnyNemesis
04-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I respectfully disagree with any even remotely positive sentiments on "Defy You".

I think something like Nickelback or Hoobastank is a more accurate comparison than P.O.D. though.

Llamas
04-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Not quite, but even if so, there's an issue of quality as well. It's one thing to put out great music even if any ol' pop-punk band can do it, but to do it with bad music and horriblly embarrasing and typically corporate rock lyrics...the cringe factor is higher.

I don't think it's bad music. The lyrics are pretty poor, though, I'll agree.

Except "Defy You" was actually fun. Agreed that it's nothing innovative or special, and punk/rock/gimmick band could write it. But it actually suits The Offspring well, Dexter sounds awesome singing it (although the verse lyrics are kinda weak as fuck), and it's just feel-good, pumping rock track that makes you want to compete, play football or paintball or some shit.

"Race Against Myself" is...um, ok, I can understand that some people like it, not everyone shares my opinion on it. But the people who are saying "it's not nu-metal!" because nu-metal is such a dirty word in the music business, fuck off. The song is P.O.D. without the rap. People mentioned Staind, yeah, that fits well too.

It's nu-metal as all fuck.

Wait a minute, hold your horses. How can you NOT realize that Defy you and Race Against Myself are practically the SAME SONG? I like both songs, and realize both aren't anything special, but they're the same. You make no sense.

DeAtHsTaR
04-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Hoobastank?? Have you heard their first album? Or their first hit "Crawling in the Dark" You don't have to like it, but it sure as fuck isn't close to Nickelback, it's pop-punk. I haven't heard their new stuff thogh.

JohnnyNemesis
04-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I haven't even heard anything from Hoobastank since they released "Crawling in the Dark", and I'm willing to bet I don't need to.

Llamas
04-01-2007, 04:25 PM
I haven't even heard anything from Hoobastank since they released "Crawling in the Dark", and I'm willing to bet I don't need to.

I wouldn't bet against you. I've barely heard much else, and it was all horrible.

Venom Symbiote
04-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Nickleback aren't nu-metal. They're suck-rock. Heh. Kinda liked their first album though. They're more like country & western infused cock-rock.

"Race" has all the studio effect shit too, plus the guitar tone is much more "late 90's post-Korn quasi-metal mallcore" than Nickelback-y.

Llamas, I never said "Defy You" was a good Offspring song, I said it's slightly enjoyable, in a shallow kind of "play it at sports games" way. "Race" isn't even good for superficial commercial measures. It sucks goat nethers.

goonadie1day
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM

Okay... well i find Want You Bad extremely amusing... and its fucking funny. I like it.

Worst song for me was the prison one.
I totally agree there! I get its funny and shit... its just so far from anything that its... awful.

I respectfully disagree with any even remotely positive sentiments on "Defy You".

I think something like Nickelback or Hoobastank is a more accurate comparison than P.O.D. though.

Nobody has to like anything... but for everyone who dislikes it... there is someone who loves it!

JohnnyNemesis
04-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Nickleback aren't nu-metal. They're suck-rock. Heh.

I know, but "Race" sorta falls into nu-metal while sounding sorta Nickelback-y. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever, so I'll just leave it at that; it's just sorta how I feel about it I guess.

Llamas, I never said "Defy You" was a good Offspring song, I said it's slightly enjoyable, in a shallow kind of "play it at sports games" way. "Race" isn't even good for superficial commercial measures. It sucks goat nethers.

Now I get it; before I was just as confused as her, but this right here is actually a really good point.

HeadAroundU
04-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I think that it's better to be inspired by "shitty bands" than being uninspired at all and ripping off the previous albums. But I can enjoy all of their songs.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-01-2007, 05:43 PM
You think you hate Hoobastank now, and you haven't even heard "The Reason"? Yeah, you better avoid them like the plague. I mean, "Crawling in the Dark" and "Running Away" are shitty songs and I've always thought so, but "The Reason" just takes the h8 to a whole 'nother level.

I'm not a peeeerrrrfect peeeerrrrson...

Btw, I like Defy You. It's nu-metally and the lyrics are horrible and it's sorta similar to Race Against Myself, but I can't really explain it. It has a much better beat, for one. Kinda makes you want to bob your head, which you can't say about Race Against myself. I guess it's just a better-written song.

0r4ng3
04-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Goddamnit, I blocked out that song months ago. Why did you have to go and remind me of it?

The reason is yooooouuuuuuuu...

Gah! Shit!

I used to like Defy You (it was actually the first Offspring song I liked, even before I was a fan), but I got bored of it pretty quickly.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Lawl, yeah, that was pretty goddamn sadistic of me right there.

JohnnyNemesis
04-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Oh that's right! I just learned recently (a few weeks ago) that "The Reason" was Hoobastank, but I'd forgotten. I'd heard the song a million times but I never asked who it was because it fucking sucked and because it doesn't matter who did that song; you could've named a million different bands and it would've all been the same.

goonadie1day
04-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Oh that's right! I just learned recently (a few weeks ago) that "The Reason" was Hoobastank, but I'd forgotten. I'd heard the song a million times but I never asked who it was because it fucking sucked and because it doesn't matter who did that song; you could've named a million different bands and it would've all been the same.

i love how they have 'stank' in the title... past tence wanna be band that stank!

Venom Symbiote
04-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Heh, I remember when Hoobastank were just a poor-man's Incubus.

Now they're worse. That just boggles the mind.

Ninty Man
04-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I really like Defy you (I love how the drums sound... it's funny to play, and the guitar sounds great). But Race... I don't know, BUT IT JUST FUCKING MAKE ME FEEL ANGRY with the album... I don't know but I just has to skip it