PDA

View Full Version : Lunch

Tijs
04-01-2007, 10:02 AM
I've been wondering about people's lunch behaviors. So when you're at work, school or whatever you do during the day;

- At what time do you get lunch?
- Where do you lunch?
- What do you get?
- How much does it cost you? (Especially this one)

mrconeman
04-01-2007, 10:10 AM
During school days, well lunch time in school is 12:25, so me and my friends all leave and walk around the corner to the bakery. I don't really have a routine thing that I buy, depending on how hungry I am/if I had breakfast/how much money ect I'll get different things.
I've found a liking for the sausage rolls in there though.

If I have a day off school, I'll probably not even be awake by 12:25, and I'll just eat sandwiches when I'm hungry.
However every Saturday me and the friends go into town to this little Beatles themed cafe that no one else seems to know about (which is really, REALLY unfortunate because its closing down soon) called Strawberry Feilds, and get an Ulster fry up, or if I'm not that hungry a bacon and sausage sandwich.
It's the nicest food place I've eaten from, its amazing.

Jakebert
04-01-2007, 10:14 AM
On week days, I eat lunch in the cafeteria since I'm a high school student. It costs about 2 bucks, 3 if I get a drink from the vending machine.

On weekends, I usually eat at Subway or I get a salad from the grocery store. The salad costs about 3 bucks, Subway is around 7.

JohnnyNemesis
04-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I often miss lunch because I don't eat my first meal of the day until pretty damn late.

Tijs
04-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Jakebert, what do you get when you're in the cafeteria?

Jakebert
04-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Whatever they're serving for lunch that day. We don't get to have a lot of variety or choice in our meals. It's either what they're serving that day, or a salad bar that consists of very unfresh lettuce and some brownish carrots. I only pick the salad bar in cases of emergency, like when we get the mac and cheese that's basically uncooked maccoroni and powdered cheese that tastes like glue.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
04-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Even though I'd rather pack lunches, I get lazy or forget to pack one and have to buy lunches at school.

Second lunch, what I have, starts at 11:00. I'll usually get two slices of greasy, sucky Domino's pizza with a Gatorade and bag of chips. On other days, I'll get things anywhere between Chef Boyardee, sandwiches, subs, pepperoni rolls, breadsticks, nachos, Ritz, or chicken sandwiches.

Tijs
04-01-2007, 10:36 AM
It's either what they're serving that day, or a salad bar that consists of very unfresh lettuce and some brownish carrots.
I suddenly feel a lot better about my school's cafeteria. Well, previous one. The school moved to a new building couple of weeks ago, haven't been there yet.

At least we can choose what we ate there. But the prices are all wrong, healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy food. A sausage roll costs nearly €2,- ($3,70).

I'm an intern now and I eat lunch at the restaurant. I usually eat lunch somewhere between 11.30AM and 1.00PM, depending on how busy I am. I almost always get;
- Cholate milk/regular milk/orange juice
- Applesauce
- Cheese on bread
- Frikandel on bread (Dutch snack)
- Vla (Dutch too, I think. Vanilla-yoghurt)

There's plenty more to choose from. This costs me €2,40 ($3,20). Plenty of food for a good price.

the_GoDdEsS
04-01-2007, 10:39 AM
I guess the notion of lunch varies internationally a little. Here it's the biggest and most important meal of the day (at noon), always cooked and usually consisting of a soup, followed by a main course.

Lunch without a soup to me is pretty unimaginable and rare. Back at work I sometimes did not even have time for lunch, so I had to eat it at home at 9pm. But I'd always catch up happily with a good meal. Generally I know plenty cheap places with decent food, where I used to go for lunchbreaks any time I had free time between 11am and 3pm. A full lunch cost me 3 EUR. For me it usually were just simple things like chicken of some kind, or mashed potato with green salads and whatever soup was on the daily menu.

the_GoDdEsS
04-01-2007, 10:42 AM
or a salad bar that consists of very unfresh lettuce and some brownish carrots.

Haha, as a student at the uni cafeteria we twice got sour lentil soup with a few little stones. That was hilarious. Probably because the cooks did not have time to check on the lentils before cooking them.

Duskygrin
04-01-2007, 10:49 AM
cafet during week-days. if I got money we go to a restaurant. it all depends on when I end my morning courses: either 11:30 am or 1 pm usually.

killer_queen
04-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I agree with Sim. A lunch without soup is a disaster. However I used to eat sandwiches and fries when I was at school because the meals were absolutely disgusting.

Now, I always have my lunch at 1 pm. Generally in front of my computer or TV. And thank God for the delicious powder soups which don't cost too much and don't make me wait.

wheelchairman
04-01-2007, 10:58 AM
I have lunch at my first break (14.45). I bring it from home. It costs me nothing!

the_GoDdEsS
04-01-2007, 11:01 AM
A lunch without soup is a disaster. However I used to eat sandwiches and fries when I was at school because the meals were absolutely disgusting.

Yeah, same thing throughout school times when there was not much to choose from or it was ew. I'd get toasts or sandwiches or something like that and then eat a proper lunch at home.

Jakebert
04-01-2007, 11:08 AM
I wish we had a good sandwich place around here. I love Subway, but I want a nice deli sandwich.

Amiralanal
04-01-2007, 11:14 AM
- Where do you lunch?
- What do you get?

- around 10-12 AM
- If something good is served, i eat in the schoolcafeteria.If otherwise, mcD's
-Cheeseburgers, 2 or more
- 1 cheeseburger= 10 kronor = 1,4 dollars

khaaaaan
04-01-2007, 11:42 AM
I have my first meal around 11-12 am. But that's cause I sleep till then. And it usually consists of cereal. It's free.

ZagmenO
04-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Well, after I get home, I go out for a biiiig slice of pizza & Mountain Dew. It costs about $4.00.

Linda
04-01-2007, 12:27 PM
- At what time do you get lunch? 11:30 a.m.
- Where do you lunch? home
- What do you get? sandwich
- How much does it cost you? (Especially this one) never figured out how much one sandwich would cost when buying 1 loaf of bread, 1 pack balogna, 1 pack honey roasted turkey, 1 pack swiss cheese slices and 1 pack sharp cheddar slices.

MrJoe
04-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Whenever I'm not at work, lunch is usually always between 1 and 2pm regardless of when I get up - I usually don't get up later than 10.30 anyway.

When I'm at work I let my morning drag out until 2.30pm, then I have my hour lunch break then, so that when I go back to work its 3.30pm and there's only an hour and a half left 'til I go home.

I usually take my own lunch of sandwiches, fruit, crisps/potato chips. Then I might get something from the cafeteria bit at work or get some from the town centre. But I don't usually spend very much.

Llamas
04-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I don't believe in regular meals. Ever since my metabolism slowed down, I've started eating small things throughout the day, because if I do three big meals, I gain weight. So for me, there's no such thing as "lunch".

SkunkIt
04-01-2007, 02:22 PM
On Mondays, since I about have an hour and a half between classes, I usally just pack my lunch, since I don't like greasy restaurant food and I don't wanna pay for it. Besides, the stuff I make is way healthier and less fattening and cheaper than restaurant or cafeteria food and there's no line. I can also make whatever I want, but I perfer sandwiches, because they make less mess, so I usally pack that and either chips or soy yogurt and anything I want to drink, which is usally some kind of crazy, delicious mixed fruit juice.

Other days, I just usally eat at home and just find different things to make and eat. I barely eat out, because I prefer home made foods.

I've always had this habit and it's a good thing too, cause it saves time, money and usally fat (the last thing I need).

ilovellamas, have you ever heard of the book "you on a diet: The owner's guide to waist management"? I don't think you need it since you're not at all fat, but I eat three meals a day and occasionally (used to be once a week, now less) binge on ice cream and still lose weight. It's weird, but it kicks ass. It could work if you're worried about gaining weight from meals, but like I said, you definitely don't need it.

Endymion
04-01-2007, 02:27 PM
i generally eat lunch with people from work. sometimes we'll go somewhere cheap on campus (the bar/grill, or one of the many, many fast food places here {panda express, the sausage kingdome, quiznos, taco bell, round table, carls, subway, el pollo loco}), but we more often go off campus to somewhere good. there's this fantastic italian deli about ten minutes away in seal beach we'll go to sometimes (they import all their stuff from italy, the cheeses are to die for). there's also a good thai place, this sushi place, this mexian place... if we eat on campus, it's around five bucks, if we go off campus it's usually ~10 bucks. we usually leave anywhere between 11 and 1, and are gone maybe an hour.

F@ BANKZ
04-01-2007, 03:17 PM
I generally at school have mash potato and baked beans which totals as 80p/$1.60 and once a week have a brownie or ice bun too for a further 40pence, so my schoolday are cheap. I don't tend to have set meals at weekends, just snack on chocloate and shit. For example: today i've had...

2 bowls of cereal
chips
yorkie bar
a massive bag of prawn crackers
a mars delight bar
a twirl bar
half a bag of minsterals
3 creme eggs

Lodat225
04-01-2007, 03:18 PM
- At what time do you get lunch? 1:00
- Where do you lunch? School Cafeteria.
- What do you get? Varies. I mostly get spicy chicken sandwich, fries and soda.
- How much does it cost you? A full meal costs 10.00. That's a sandwich, friends, and a soda.

edit: fries... fries.

Tijs
04-01-2007, 03:25 PM
- How much does it cost you? A full meal costs 10.00. That's a sandwich, friends, and a soda.
You pay for friends. Quoted.

But seriously, that's expensive. that's $200 a month if you eat a full meal there every day.
Are American school cafetaria's, uhm, are they apart from school? I mean, do they have to make an income, or are they a part of the school?

Tired_Of_You
04-01-2007, 03:53 PM
At college :

- At what time do you get lunch? Usually 11h35.
- Where do you lunch? At the Café Étudiant, which is kinda like a smaller cafeteria (there's the cafeteria that I haaaate, a mini restaurant and the café étudiant).
- What do you get? Something that doesn't need to be heated, because there are like 4 microwaves for 5000 students... Yeah, I know the 5000 students don't all eat at the exact same time, but still. Usually, it's something simple : a sandwhich or salad + juice + fruits. I rarely eat food at college because it costs too much & I don't like waiting in line & I prefer homemade food anyway.
- How much does it cost you? nothing, maman pays for the food.

At home, it's whatever I feel like. If I wake up late, I might just eat brekfast instead. Or I might eat nothing until much later. Or if I wake up early, I'll eat breakfast and no lunch. It's not an important meal.

Lodat225
04-01-2007, 06:07 PM
You pay for friends. Quoted.

But seriously, that's expensive. that's $200 a month if you eat a full meal there every day.
Are American school cafetaria's, uhm, are they apart from school? I mean, do they have to make an income, or are they a part of the school?

Hahahaha. I meant fries. that was a good one. i don't know why i wrote that.

Oh, and yeah that is expensive. I eat a meal there everyday, almost everybody does. No, they're not apart, it's in the school and stuff. You can bring this ticked thingy that says your parents have a lower income than average and you get it for 5 bucks or something.

goonadie1day
04-01-2007, 06:14 PM
I've been wondering about people's lunch behaviors. So when you're at work, school or whatever you do during the day;

- Where do you lunch?
- What do you get?

Our school has 3 lunches... dividing the ppl up so its not horrible long in line.

Lunch a - 11:36-12:03
lunch b - 12:03-12:30
lunch c - 12:30-12:57

Im in lunch b

We have closed campus at our school... but they bring in pizza hut every wednesday

I always eat salad.

I get the poor kid discount... for me its 40 cents...

for some its free... but regular prive is 2.10$

wheelchairman
04-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I got that when I was in middle school. I hated cafeteria food so much I just skipped lunch. In retrospect, not my smartest choice.

Rag Doll
04-01-2007, 06:27 PM
i never ate lunch in school after the 5th grade. we usually sat and talked or something instead (never actually IN the cafeteria). then senior year we could leave for lunch and we would go to starbucks for coffee, costing $4-6, depending on what we got.

now, i don't really eat lunch ever. between class & work, my schedule is too messed up.

0r4ng3
04-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm a high school senior, so I don't eat lunch at school. Needless to say, I am overjoyed. Not only is about 33% of the food inedible, but the lunch period is like a screaming contest where everyone's a winner.

Nowadays I just make a sandwich or something whenever I get home, which is about 1:15pm.

Lodat225
04-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Our school's food is amazingly good ... like whoa. next year i'll be able to go outside for lunch, until then - i need to scream to try and talk.

Tired_Of_You
04-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Wtf? You guys can't go outside during lunch time? I could go out and eat at the restaurant back in high school. It seems pretty weird that you can't. I feel like I misunderstood something & look retarded asking this question.

Endymion
04-01-2007, 07:32 PM
damn lodat -- 10 bucks for a chicken sandwich, fries and a drink? wouldn't that same meal be five bucks at carls or wendys or something? is the school food worth the 100% increase in price?

Sinister
04-01-2007, 08:03 PM
On mondays and wednesdays my college schedule only allows the time for an energy bar during my Spanish class. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, I eat sandwiches when I get back home, or if I have to go to the mall to get something then I go to Extreme Pita, about $8 something for... basically a Caesar salad served in a pita bread, a bottle of Tropicana Twister and a bag of Miss Vickie's seasalt & malt vinegar chips. That's been going on for about three weeks now so I'm soon gonna get a free pita. Yay for discount stamp collecting. During the weekend I eat whatever my mom cooks as I still live at my parents'.

Rag Doll
04-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Wtf? You guys can't go outside during lunch time? I could go out and eat at the restaurant back in high school. It seems pretty weird that you can't. I feel like I misunderstood something & look retarded asking this question.

At least in this area, you can't leave until your senior year of high school. I think here it has a lot to do with location. Generally, here kids don't have their license to their last year of high school. Places to go to eat are generally not close enough to walk to and back from during a lunch period (roughly 40 minutes). And in a lot of areas, the public transportation system isn't that great.

TheOldMark
04-01-2007, 08:18 PM

- Where do you lunch?
- What do you get?

...interesting topic Tijs...
I get an hour for lunch during my 9-5:30 work shift, so I take it around 12:45, to evenly split up the day. I usually go to one of the large Delis on Park Ave and get a chicken cutlet hero or a salad or something with shrimp in it. Lunch in Manhattan, almost no matter where you go, costs $8-9. Would have to goto a fast food place to get any cheaper but I dont like those places.

TheOldMark
04-01-2007, 08:20 PM

at my high school, we would be immediately expelled if we left the building for any reason before 3. believe it or not they even enforced this on 9/11 when many kids lost their parents. there were 1600 guys at my school, so it was more than you might think.

SkunkIt
04-01-2007, 09:10 PM
I generally at school have mash potato and baked beans which totals as 80p/$1.60 and once a week have a brownie or ice bun too for a further 40pence, so my schoolday are cheap. I don't tend to have set meals at weekends, just snack on chocloate and shit. For example: today i've had...

2 bowls of cereal
chips
yorkie bar
a massive bag of prawn crackers
a mars delight bar
a twirl bar
half a bag of minsterals
3 creme eggs

Holy shit man, if you don't stop eating so much that stuff, you'll be weighing down airplanes very soon.
And I know i'm fat, but god damn.

WebDudette
04-01-2007, 09:16 PM
That better be a damn good meal Lodat. We get the same for 2.50$.

I have lunch from 10:30 to 11:15. I usually get a chicken sandwich, fries and a pink lemonade for 2.50$ from inside the cafeteria or I get an egg roll, onion rings and a chicken sandwich from the snack bar. Then go sit by the convenient store type thing our school has with friends. On Wenesdays I eat a Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwich with onion rings from the snack bar witch costs 3.50$. Unless you sit in the cafeteria at my school it really isn't that loud.

Our schools new policy on leaving campus is that you have to be a Junior or senior with a certain GPA and a written agreement from your parents or something. Apparently they are trying to pass a new thing that prohibits leaving the campus at all though.

SkunkIt
04-01-2007, 09:24 PM
You guys are lucky, my lunch in high school used to cost about 5 bucks, untill I got sick of their only decent food, a sandwich. I later started buying disgusting pizza, which was cold, full of grease and for some reason had bread crumb sprinkles all over it. After that, I just started getting chips and a drink, which cost about three bucks. After that, I got sick of chips and just waited till I got home to eat anything. High school food is disgusting, especially the cold, stale tater tots which I only bought twice. We also have pretzels that taste like soap and our healthiest drink was Fruitopia, which I hated, so I sometimes added skittles to it for some reason.

Tijs
04-02-2007, 04:03 AM
Are American school cafeteria's a private business, or not?

WebDudette
04-02-2007, 05:05 AM
No, I'm almost positive they are part of the school.

Nina
04-02-2007, 08:24 AM
school:
- I got my lunch during the last break (13:10-13:30)
- I would go back to school and have my lunch there until classes started again.
- Since I was a poor student (it's not very different today) I'd get a small sandwhich or a plain roll.
- The costs were never more than 2€.

work (telekom):
- I'd either bring lunch with me from home, which means I didnt buy it outside, or I made an exception and bought it from somewhere else, which means I got it usually between 13:00 and 15:00.
- I'd lunch at my workplace in the backroom with whoever had their break with me.
- If I bought it from home it was either a persian meal (warm...something with rice) or bread with cheese/tomatoes/whatever on it. If it was from outside I'd usually either choose a salad or a sandwhich.
- From home, no costs. From outside, up to 4€.

work (karstadt):
- I'd always bring lunch from home with me.
- We werent allowed to go outside, so I was always in the cafetaria with everyone else.
- I'd always bring bread (and a topping) with me. But I never ate much when I worked there. BUT I'd always buy a 0.3L drink for 50cent (cheap because I worked there, yayz).
- 50cent for the drink. Sometimes I'd also choose a bar of chocolate..so maybe between 0.50€ and 1€.

But I must say, I am really unhappy when I eat outside. Germans have their warm meal for lunch, and that's also how Persians eat. I'm generally unhappy when I eat a cold meal for lunch. I'm the happiest when I eat at home.

Sinister
04-02-2007, 08:31 AM
About the "don't leave school" policy, I had that back in high school but still biked back home for lunch whenever the weather allowed. No one ever found out / gave a fuck, and once I even managed to make a run for my bike and skip a massive organized work-out session. Fun times. College is too far away from home.

calichix
04-02-2007, 12:43 PM
dude, el pollo loco rules.

panda express? monster heinous.

H1T_That
04-02-2007, 12:47 PM
However every Saturday me and the friends go into town to this little Beatles themed cafe that no one else seems to know about (which is really, REALLY unfortunate because its closing down soon) called Strawberry Feilds, and get an Ulster fry up, or if I'm not that hungry a bacon and sausage sandwich.
It's the nicest food place I've eaten from, its amazing.

That sounds amazing. I wish there places like that here, instead of McDonalds.

Endymion
04-02-2007, 01:09 PM
dude, el pollo loco rules.

panda express? monster heinous.

i rarely eat at panda express because there's a chinese place basically in one of the campus parking lots that is much better (and cheaper).

and el pollo loco does rule. i'll probably have lunch there today.

calichix
04-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm not wild about chinese food. do you have papa chanos down there?

Lodat225
04-02-2007, 02:41 PM
That better be a damn good meal Lodat. We get the same for 2.50$.

Damn. We used to have it for 7.50 but they increased it this year for some reason.

damn lodat -- 10 bucks for a chicken sandwich, fries and a drink? wouldn't that same meal be five bucks at carls or wendys or something? is the school food worth the 100% increase in price?

Well, the sandwich is kinda big. It's like a sub-size. The fries are amazingggggggggggg, and the drink is like a soda..

Yeah, it probably is... I just now noticed that my school is ripping me off! :mad: