PDA

View Full Version : Jakebert's Music Thought of the Afternoon.

Jakebert
04-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm sitting here listening to Sleater-Kinney, and I was wondering something: why do so many guys feel uncomfortable listening to bands with female vocalists?

Does it make them feel less manly when listening to the Pixies and hearing Kim Deal sing about big black cock? Does it make them feel embarassed when someone over hears them listening to Garbage or a Sonic Youth song that features Kim Gordon on lead vocals?

Personally, I think that female vocals can add a lot to a song, mainly because I hate hearing male singers try to reach for notes that they can't hit. My favorite Pixies songs are almost always the ones where Deal has a big vocal contribution, like Monkey Gone to Heaven or Break My Body. My favorite aspect of Sleater-Kinney is Corin Tucker's incredibly strong voice. My favorite part about Mazzy Star is how dreamlike and innocent the vocals sound, and how perfectly it fits with the music.

So, men, tell me what you think of this. And women, tell us men how we're pigs.

wheelchairman
04-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Nightwish was incredibly succesful based solely on their female vocalist. Do you know any other bands from Finland?

Within Temptation also had a lot of success in Europe. Bjørk is pretty well known (though not a band.)

And the Smashing Pumpkins have the best female frontman around. A bit on the ugly side.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
04-01-2007, 10:03 AM
I'll admit to not being a fan of female vocals.

Evanescence, Sleater-Kinney, Christina Aguilera, Paramore, The Blow, and a couple Motown groups are the only artists with female lead vocals on my playlist. Female vocals will appear every once in a while, like in Pixies and Big D and the Kids Table, and I actually think they sound better with them.

If Dexter Holland was a chick, I'd definetely have a different apporach on the Offspring, and if Gwen Stefani was a dude, I would likely like No Doubt more.

0r4ng3
04-01-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't think that female vocals will turn me away from a band. It's just that none of the bands I like happen to have female vocalists. I guess in my case it's just chance. Then again, I could subconsciously be bullshitting myself.

wheelchairman
04-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Why?

I have no problem with female vocalists. I have a proportionate number of female vocalists to male vocalists as exists in music in general, as exists in the genres of music I have.

The question is, why?

Jakebert
04-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Nightwish was incredibly succesful based solely on their female vocalist. Do you know any other bands from Finland?

Within Temptation also had a lot of success in Europe. Bjørk is pretty well known (though not a band.)

And the Smashing Pumpkins have the best female frontman around. A bit on the ugly side.

I don't know a whole lot of Finnish bands, actually. I'm not even all that familiar with Nightwish even. I'll check them out, though.

1979: why exactly aren't you a big fan?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
1979: why exactly aren't you a big fan?

I'm not quite sure, it probably has a lot to do with my favorite bands having male lead vocals, though.

wheelchairman
04-01-2007, 10:35 AM
But you said you wouldn't like the offspring if dexter was a girl. That's a rather sweeping statement. Saying that you would like a band less for having a girl, and a band more for having a guy. Same band different gender. That's rather...sweeping to say the least.

All About Eve
04-01-2007, 10:47 AM
For certain songs a male might actually be better, but others might sound better with a female. Most Damone songs would be boring and generic without Noelle, but I wouldn't want her singing an REM song.

Forza
04-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Seriously, The Offspring with a female (or another male) singer just wouldn't work. It's Dexter's voice that really makes the songs good.

The Dresden Dolls is pretty much the only band with a female singer I listen to. Just did not happen to find any other good bands with a female singer yet. (Okay.. Enya is pretty good as well and the female guestsingers on Ayreon's album are great). But there's just not many of them.

HeadAroundU
04-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I feel very comfortable listening to female vocalists:
The cranberries (top quality vocalist), No Doubt (top quality vocalist), Tsunami Bomb (cute voice), theSTART (magical and energetic voice), Evanescence (deep and dark vocalist), Guano Apes (powerful vocalist), Jack Off Jill (dark and beautiful voice), flyleaf (cute voice), Hooverphonic (mature vocalist)....

Endymion
04-01-2007, 02:16 PM
i generally prefer female vocalists.

Llamas
04-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm a girl, and I like a lot of female singers, but very few bands with girl leads.
The bands I like with girl leads are:
The Lovelies
Bif Naked (unless you consider it a singer)
Pixies
Dancehall Crashers
Dixie Chicks
Flyleaf
Ace of Base (haha)
Fleetwood Mac
Garbage
No Doubt (kinda)
Letters to Cleo (kinda)
Tsunami Bomb

In comparison to all the music I listen to, that's like 0.01%. However, I do like a couple dozen female singers... but still. I greatly prefer the male voice. What I DON'T understand is why people tend to prefer tenors over baritones. What's all this Justin Timberlake and shit? I want a man's voice. A great deal of my favorite bands have singers who sound like men. Why listen to a man if he's gonna sound like a girl? Just sayin'. :P

edit: omg I forgot how much I love the Cranberries!

Forza
04-01-2007, 02:22 PM
And fuck, how could I forget about the Guano Apes? Listened to that band for like years.

killer_queen
04-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Male singers with cracked voices always make me excited. I love them more than I love female singers.

Female singers...I don't know why but they always sound like they're trying to add emotion, feelings to the song. And it anonoys me. That's why I love music without lyrics more.

Llamas
04-01-2007, 03:17 PM
That's why I love music without lyrics more.

I often prefer music without vocalists, also, but for different reasons. I often feel like bands use a vocalist to cover up for very generic and boring music. Music without vocals is more exposed and almost ALWAYS better.

Sinister
04-01-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't like one gender better than the other for vocals, but I admit I instinctively hit "skip" on my iPod whenever I'm in public and a female vocalist comes up. No idea why.

And I wish there were more low voices out there so I could sing along to stuff without having to kick myself in the balls first.

WebDudette
04-01-2007, 06:56 PM
It not that I don't like female singers, it's that most bands with a female singer, in my opinion are not very good.

But there are a couple bands that I fucking love with female vocalists such as Ladytron, The Blow, Freezepop, Mirah and I suppose Smashing Pumpkins.

Also, one of my favorite parts of any Streetlight Manifesto/Bandits of the Acoustic Revolutions songs is when there is a female vocal parts in BotAR's "Here's to Life".

All About Eve
04-01-2007, 07:06 PM
No one's mentioned how awesome Kelly Clarkson is :(

ruroken
04-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Regina Spektor and Siouxie are the only english-speaking female vocalists that I like off the top of my head.

SkunkIt
04-01-2007, 08:48 PM
I feel the same way about female and male vocalists.

Any guy that feels less manly listening to a female vocalist must be extremly insecure or sexist.

also here's a short list a good female vocalists/bands

Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holiday
The Selecter
The Bodysnatchers
Bikini Kill
Kelly Clarkson
Joan Jett
Doreen Shaffer

Rag Doll
04-01-2007, 08:57 PM
i generally prefer female vocalists.

we need to have sex.

anyways. i'd say i like male and female vocals equally, but generally listen to more bands with male vocals...mainly because there are more bands in the genres i like with male vocals.

and HAU, i love you for mentioning Jack Off Jill. <333

All About Eve
04-01-2007, 10:03 PM
But you do have female vocalists like the ones from Jack off Jill, or James Blunt, so that's all that matters.

Jakebert
04-02-2007, 04:00 AM
Regina Spektor and Siouxie are the only english-speaking female vocalists that I like off the top of my head.

You don't like Brandon Boyd anymore?

H1T_That
04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Flyleaf's success is mainly down to their vocalist in my opinion.

She's a female btw.

wheelchairman
04-02-2007, 01:41 PM
She's a female btw.

She's female bbw? GROSS

H1T_That
04-02-2007, 01:50 PM
She's female bbw? GROSS

More cushin' for the pushin'

Bazza
04-02-2007, 01:52 PM
The Long Blondes is the only band with a female singer I listen to. Apart from that it feels like the majority of female singers are aimed at females with the subject matter of their songs. Then again this stereotype might be stopping me from listening to more female artists.

H1T_That
04-02-2007, 01:54 PM
The Long Blondes is the only band with a female singer I listen to. Apart from that it feels like the majority of female singers are aimed at females with the subject matter of their songs. Then again this stereotype might be stopping me from listening to more female artists.

It is. There are some great bands out there with vag' on their vocals.

ruroken
04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
You don't like Brandon Boyd anymore?
She got a sex change :(

Vera
04-03-2007, 05:29 AM
Nightwish is metal. You might like it, I personally detest it. Opera singing + metal = whatevs.

But it is funny that they fired her since her voice was what MADE Nightwish.

I mostly just listen to Sahara Hotnights, who're all girls. It occasionally bothers me if it's a girl and the rest of the band is boys. It's like, are females only good at singing? Can't the girl pick up a guitar, too, or sit behind the drums?

In general I listen to bands that are all guys. I love good male vocalists. I've got nothing against girl vocalists, I just generally don't run into them and thus get more into male vocalists.

In Asian pop I tend to listen to male vocalists more but I do love a ton of girlbands, too.

In Bollywood it's a 40-60 female-male ratio with what I like. Females can be shrieky but also have beautiful voices.