PDA

View Full Version : Mika - Life In Cartoon Motion

Vera
04-02-2007, 02:15 PM
This year's most highly praised pop album thus far.

I'm personally torn between irritated and loving it. Irritated because yo, I like me some high male vocals. But I've got my limits and Mika seems to be crossing them left and right. Loving it because oh man, this is just the kind of well-composed, genuinely innovative pop music that makes my feet tap to the music.

Anyone else heard this guy? My friend recced it by saying, "It's kinda like Robbie Williams - you love Robbie, don'tcha?". Occasionally it is like Robbie but Mika lacks Robbie's awesomely druggy scandalous past, and the look, too.

Rag Doll
04-02-2007, 02:17 PM
i've had the cd for a while now. i don't listen to it often, because i am afraid i might get a little irritated by it....but i enjoy it when i do listen to it.

H1T_That
04-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Grace Kelly is overplayed and overrated. I haven't bothered listening to the other songs.

Vera
04-02-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm giving it some time in my iTunes but something tells me I'll be deleting the less groovy tracks soon-ish... Lollipop and Big Girl rock, though.

edit: Yeah, agreed, I'd heard Grace Kelly before. Not my fave track.

H1T_That
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Is it worth giving the others a shot then?

Vera
04-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Maybe. Ask me again in a week.

Llamas
06-06-2007, 10:48 PM
I just found out about him.

"Over My Shoulder" is amazing and gorgeous and the way he holds those major seconds... damn. Falsetto bothers me when it's overused, but since this isn't falsetto, it doesn't seem to get to me. I think his voice sounds amazing, and he's got incredible control. And his lower register voice is so unique. I need to acquire his albums, but particularly just "Over My Shoulder".

mrconeman
06-07-2007, 04:15 AM
I used to think I wouldn't wish death on any person. Then I heard Grace Kelly and his other single, I think it's called Love Today or something.

And I hate the Freddy Mercury comparisons he kept getting because he names him in that song.

Vera
06-07-2007, 07:26 AM
I've grown tired of this record. I still have some songs on my iTunes but ehhhh.

Gladly I don't surf much music related places, otherwise I'd consider this guy super-overrated.

Little_Miss_1565
06-07-2007, 08:58 AM
I LOVE Mika. I don't love that he fancies himself the next Freddie Mercury, but fuck if that album isn't catchy as hell.

wheelchairman
06-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah I agree with 1565, he is very much reminiscent of Freddie Mercury. But he's still great.

Big Girls remind anyone of Fat Bottom Girls?

Little_Miss_1565
06-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah I agree with 1565, he is very much reminiscent of Freddie Mercury. But he's still great.

Big Girls remind anyone of Fat Bottom Girls?

I think that was very intentional. Which is why it bugs me a bit.

wheelchairman
06-07-2007, 12:04 PM
It just seems like he's trying to find a way to say "I'm gay" without actually saying it. Copying Freddie Mercury to a point is a pretty damn good strategy.

Grabbal
06-07-2007, 12:08 PM

Little_Miss_1565
06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
It just seems like he's trying to find a way to say "I'm gay" without actually saying it. Copying Freddie Mercury to a point is a pretty damn good strategy.

Haha, I'd say he's putting "I"M GAY" in big neon lights with a lighted marquee.

Andy
06-07-2007, 01:14 PM
One of the other nurses at work was playing it constantly when it first came out over here. It was like I was stuck in the intro to a kids' tv show.

One of the songs makes me think of Fraggle Rock. In fact, most of the songs make me think of Fraggle Rock.

I do however, feel a little uncomfortable about the children's choir performing background vocals in Lollipop. It is about oral sex, right?

Saying that, Grace Kelly is one of the best pure no-nonsense catchy over-the-top camp singles of the last few years. Music needs songs like that.

He can (and will) disappear now. Like a gay Lou Bega.

Vera
06-08-2007, 01:18 PM
He can (and will) disappear now. Like a gay Lou Bega.

LOLOLOLOLOL.

You said it.

Llamas
06-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I fortunately never listen to the radio, so I don't know who's overplayed, and often not even who's overrated. I had barely heard Grace Kelly before my friend recommended it to me. Is he popular at all in the states? I think it's just in Europe, because none of my friends there have heard of him. No idea. But I seriously love his voice.

wheelchairman
06-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Mika is his name. Grace Kelly is the song name...

Llamas
06-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Umm, yeah I know? Or were you not talking to me... "I had barely heard Grace Kelly before my friend recommended it to me." "it" implies thing and not human... or at least I think ;)

wheelchairman
06-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Nah it just wasn't entirely clear in your post.

T-6005
06-08-2007, 06:37 PM
I love one song by him - it's Relax (Take It Easy).

It's a great song. Reminds me of a bunch of stuff at once.

Harnum
07-30-2007, 08:03 AM
I am listening to Grace Kelly as we speak. It's the only song I've heard that I've liked by him. Shameful? :(

Llamas
07-30-2007, 08:31 AM
I adore the album. I bought it a few days ago. There's not a song I dislike on the whole thing.

Little_Miss_1565
07-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I do however, feel a little uncomfortable about the children's choir performing background vocals in Lollipop. It is about oral sex, right?

Yes, and google for songs by France Gall and Serge Gainsbourg. One song they sang together (that he wrote) is a very thinly-veiled metaphor for blowjobs using lollipops as a stand-in. Seems to be a European theme! Epic lulz.

I also want to give Mika major snaps for being the first performer to actually SING on "So You Think You Can Dance" this season. Everyone else just lip synced...badly.

Llamas
07-30-2007, 08:52 AM
I read the lyrics to Lollipop, and I really don't think it's about oral sex. If it is, it makes NO sense. People just like to make innuendos and alternate meanings from something that sounds potentially dirty.

KyleW
08-02-2007, 11:00 AM
ive not heard much by mika but Love Today is mine and my girlfriends "special" song

did that come out wrong, it probably doesnt mean what you think it means

German Andres
08-02-2007, 11:26 AM
I hate the damn band. The press should have never compared that little kid with the great Freddy Mercury. That`s a sin

Nina
08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
My boyfriend loves Mika. He and our mutual friend talk hours about the songs while I'm just plain bored. I'm not impressed by any song by Mika but maybe I just havent heard it often enough.

Vera
09-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Bumped mainly because Sunny only discovered this guy. :D

Little_Miss_1565
09-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Love Love Me.

<3

Tired_Of_You
09-16-2007, 11:56 AM
My friends make me listen Mika's cd at my house the other day and I didn't like it much. I'll probably hear it much more often in the next days since I'll be working with them starting this week and maybe they'll bring the cd at work... we'll see, but for the moment he annoys me a little.