PDA

View Full Version : Sufjan Stevens

Apathy
04-02-2007, 07:40 PM
My girlfriend got me into him. It's a mellow sort of folkish, rockish, alternative stuff.

My favorite song is called Chicago, http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=169311295, there's a link to a website with four different versions of it.

If you want to listen to him more, there's about twenty fake myspaces for him with at least three songs.

http://musicsearch.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.search
Just search for sufjan stevens of course.

coke_a_holic
04-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I bought Illinoise a few weeks ago. I'm thoroughly in love with it. I suggest everyone do the same.

I've downloaded some of his other stuff, but it just doesn't sit as well with me. I have no idea why. I plan on listening to Michigan again, though.

SkunkIt
04-02-2007, 11:31 PM
I've heard "Chicago" before, is he covering it or is it his? Cause I think Jets To Brazil did it, or some band that sounds like them.

Jakebert
04-03-2007, 03:33 AM
I'm fairly sure that Chicago is an original song.

Anyway, I know I've said it before on here, but I'll say it again: I love Sufjan. He's probably the best pop songwriter around right now.

As far as the albums go, I'd rank the ones that I have Michigan > Illinois > The Avalanche. The last 2 are good and all, but I think Michigan has the perfect mixture of his early simple stuff and his later bigger, heavily produced stuff since it doesn't dwell on either style for longer than it should.

nieh
04-03-2007, 04:23 AM
As far as the albums go, I'd rank the ones that I have Michigan > Illinois > The Avalanche. The last 2 are good and all, but I think Michigan has the perfect mixture of his early simple stuff and his later bigger, heavily produced stuff since it doesn't dwell on either style for longer than it should.

The simple stuff on Michigan is fine but the more layered stuff on it sounds a little off to me. My favorite of his is probably the Avalanche.

Apathy
04-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I just bought illinoise about a week ago, and I love it. I've never heard his other stuff.

I definitely wouldn't call it pop... but I agree with Jakebert in the phrase that he's a great songwriter. I'm going to try and find the avalance because it's so heavily recommended here.

I kinda wish he'd keep going with the states idea, I would have liked to hear a few of them.

WebDudette
04-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Listened to "Chicago", it's pretty damn awesome but not quite my thing. I'll listen to his other stuff.

Edit: Ignore that, I love it.

Little_Miss_1565
04-03-2007, 07:12 PM
I love that song, but Sufjan in general bores me. One great song doesn't save it for me.

Apathy
04-03-2007, 07:19 PM
this is the first time I heard chicago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg7BEHIo-g4 It's still my favorite version.

Little Miss, his music is very mellow.. I can see how you'd find it boring. I have to be in the right mood for it to enjoy it, but when I am I absoultely love it.

Little_Miss_1565
04-03-2007, 07:51 PM
I do mellow. I love Jeff Buckley. I can appreciate that Sufjan is a really good musician, not just some gimmicky fuck. Twee is fun and awesome--I'm From Barcelona and Palomar, anyone?--but I dunno, I find him cloying and boring. Good friends of mine dig him, "Chicago" is great, but...eh. Oh well.