PDA

View Full Version : Michaelangelo is a party dude.

T-6005
04-04-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm watching season 1 of the 1987 cartoon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Firstly, you're all jealous.

Secondly, I'm not sure I agree with this entire retro craze except for being able to watch this stuff with friends. There's something almost mildly ridiculous about watching Vanilla Ice act - I can't do it for Captain Planet and TMNT because somehow I genuinely enjoy being able to recapture part of my youth.

It's just fun. Tell me how fun you think it is.

PS - When Shredder makes an announcement, he uses something that looks like a total Japanese karaoke mic. It's great.

PPS - Donatello does machines. And is my favorite.

RickyCrack
04-04-2007, 12:20 AM
go ninja, go ninja, go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFLGRidfFo4)

Not Ozymandias
04-04-2007, 12:38 AM
I approve.

Betty
04-04-2007, 12:56 AM
PPS - Donatello does machines.

That's a fact, jack.

P.S. I am extremely jealous.

khaaaaan
04-04-2007, 03:45 AM
I was always more of a Raphael man myself. Cause he's cool AND crude.

All About Eve
04-04-2007, 05:40 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ninja_turtles.png

wheelchairman
04-04-2007, 05:45 AM
The blue one, Michaelangelo was always my favorite.

I wouldn't mind watching an episode or two. I enjoyed watching an episode of captain planet.

nieh
04-04-2007, 05:52 AM
The blue one was Leonardo, Michaelangelo was the orange one.

F@ BANKZ
04-04-2007, 07:32 AM
The blue hero turtle was my favourite, but this was mainly because blue is such a cool colour.

Izie
04-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Firstly, you're all jealous.

I am :(

It's just fun. Tell me how fun you think it is.

Send me some and I'll watch and tell.

Well of course he does. And he was my favorite too. Now I can't decide anymore.

I used to play Ninja-Turtles-games with my friends and we'd steal pieces of ribbon/whatever from our houses to make the masks and the other stuff they had on so we'd be more convincing! I miss that :(

0r4ng3
04-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Michaelangelo was always my favorite. He's all like "I don't need sharp weapons to kick ass". And he didn't.

Sinister
04-04-2007, 08:22 AM
I've been a fan of Leonardo, or whichever it was who used two swords. Then I grew the fuck up.
Now I think I might fall back to childhood for the movie.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Excellent things about the TMNT original series.

1: Shredder - "Net results, four turtles! Oh, I made a funny."

2: Crang's laugh.

3. Shredder - "Useless jellyfish!"

4. "But you may call me.. The Shredder!"

"A kitchen utensil?"

Coincidentally I was watching a video of old turtle clips just the other day at a friend's house. We were trying to play poker at the time, but we just gave up in the end.

"Your forces are depleted, and the turtles are on their way - install the chip now!"

JohnnyNemesis
04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
I was a TMNT slut, as I'd claimed a different one as my favorite at different points in my childhood. I usually went with whichever I thought had the coolest weapon at the time. Even though I disliked Raphael's weapons most, I always a had a soft spot for him because my brother is named Rafael.

Also, xkcd and AAE's posting of that comic fucking WIN SO HARD.

ps. I hate this retro phase because I'm so truretro. I was a nostalgia fiend before nostalgia was cool. That's why I generally reject newly made merchandise based on old cartoons and go after the truly genuinely old shit. It doesn't make me any less pathetic, but I like it more.

Stranger With Candy
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
I still got loads of video tapes with TMNT on. To bad i don have a VHS player. I also still got my Turtles toys, over 30 toys. But i dont play with them annymore... Im serious... I dont...

HeadAroundU
04-04-2007, 12:01 PM
I disliked Raphael's weapons too, plus red colour...bah. Leonardo all the way, swords and blue! I think I had a soft spot for Donatelo because I could make his weapon IRL but violet sucks when you are 6 yo boy.

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm pretty sure my favourite was Donatello. Haha, everyone was imitating those weapons and making them from wood and sticks :P Lolz, what did we call his weapon in Slovak again? I think it was some awful weird word. Nunčaky?

Great Mike
04-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I disliked Raphael's weapons too, plus red colour...bah. Leonardo all the way, swords and blue! I think I had a soft spot for Donatelo because I could make his weapon IRL but violet sucks when you are 6 yo boy.

Hey, hey, HEY! What's wrong with Raphael's weapons?!

Paint_It_Black
04-04-2007, 12:30 PM

I agree with every aspect of this post.

0r4ng3
04-04-2007, 12:32 PM
I always used a cardboard tube to imitate Donatello. It was convenient, because when the tube inevitably broke in the middle, I could become Michaelangelo.

Paint_It_Black
04-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Have I mentioned lately how much I adore every single post you make?

0r4ng3
04-04-2007, 12:38 PM
It's implied.

Izie
04-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Nunčaky?

Sounds about right, it's similar enough to Serbian :p

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Yeah, but I was thinking nančaky/ninčaky? Nah. They sound kinda dumb. Uh, HAU might know.

I always used a cardboard tube to imitate Donatello. It was convenient, because when the tube inevitably broke in the middle, I could become Michaelangelo.

Damn. Inventive.

All About Eve
04-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Dude, I did the same thing!

One time after it had broken, I cut it in half, and taped forks on the end so I could be Raphael.

nieh
04-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I think I win the dork-measuring contest because I actually own a real pair of nunchucks.

khaaaaan
04-04-2007, 02:55 PM
There was a period in my little life where I would keep my donatello stick with me at all times. It shows on a LOT of photos:cool:

Venom Symbiote
04-04-2007, 04:34 PM
You know what's ridiculous? You can show the TMNT fighting on the big screen with swords and sais, but nunchaku are totally off fucking limits for the kiddies.

I mean, I know they're exceptionally dangerous (the twirling force, pure blunt trauma, much more dangerous than a club or heavy bat), but...but...

Fucking blades. God censorship boards worldwide are full of retards.

As for the best Turtle: Donatello can kill you with a fucking stick. That is all.

HeadAroundU
04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty sure my favourite was Donatello. Haha, everyone was imitating those weapons and making them from wood and sticks :P Lolz, what did we call his weapon in Slovak again? I think it was some awful weird word. Nunčaky?
His? You mean Michaelangelo. It's right but I called it mučaky or munčaky back then. :)

Hey, hey, HEY! What's wrong with Raphael's weapons?!
Because I couldn't make them as easily as Donatello's stick!? Plus, red colour is for girls. So, no way Raphaelo could be seen as my hero. Did you play with barbies in the childhood!? :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I was thinking nančaky/ninčaky? Nah. They sound kinda dumb. Uh, HAU might know.
nieh said, nunchucks, so you must be right. And it brings me to the questions, nun and chucks? wtf? nevermind...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunchaku

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2007, 04:47 PM
His? You mean Michaelangelo. It's right but I called it mučaky or munčaky back then. :)

Haha, yes. I realised later I mixed that up. Mučaky? Hahaha, that must be the best one I heard. But like wtf, as kids we had no idea what it was anyway. They either did not properly translate it and just "Slovakised" or it has no proper Slovak equivalent.

Lizardus
04-04-2007, 11:28 PM
I acquired a taste for pepperoni pizza tanks to the Ninja Turtles.
I will be a time i will never forget.

mrconeman
04-05-2007, 03:55 AM
I always liked Donatello.
Purple or not, that stick was immense.

Venom Symbiote
04-05-2007, 05:20 AM
But...but...the stick wasn't purple. :p

And you know all of the Turtles were originally red, right?

And Mikey's no "retarded ADD surfer dude", either. I hate that portrayal of poor Mikey, man. Bring back the original 80's Mirage issues guy, he was the deadliest of the four, but insanely innocent. He truly was the "little brother" of the group, and he was actually intelligent. Not in the same way as Don with his hardcore logic and scientific prowess, but more like...truly creative and artistic. Mikey was like the pacifist guy who wrote journals and short stories and tried to connect with the outside world, yet he'd kick Raph's ass in a fight if he absolutely had to. He was like the most physically adept of the four, a fucking machine. Leo was still "the best", but only because of his drive and focus on training, which Mikey and Don never seemed to have in anyof the interpretations. Apparently Leo and Raph had the lowest potential, but they somehow overcame that through their (somewhat conflicting) drive and motivation.

I loved the original live-action movie too (sequels sucked though), but I couldn't stand how Donny was handled there. Shit, Donny's character was fucking butchered in the '90s flicks. I haven't seen TMNT yet, but they seem to have rectified that problem. I love his tech support phone call scene in the clips.

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Numer 3 was the awesomeness. (Support Oregon films!)

khaaaaan
04-05-2007, 05:41 AM
But...but...the stick wasn't purple. :p

And you know all of the Turtles were originally red, right?

And Mikey's no "retarded ADD surfer dude", either. I hate that portrayal of poor Mikey, man. Bring back the original 80's Mirage issues guy, he was the deadliest of the four, but insanely innocent. He truly was the "little brother" of the group, and he was actually intelligent. Not in the same way as Don with his hardcore logic and scientific prowess, but more like...truly creative and artistic. Mikey was like the pacifist guy who wrote journals and short stories and tried to connect with the outside world, yet he'd kick Raph's ass in a fight if he absolutely had to. He was like the most physically adept of the four, a fucking machine.

What the fuck are you on about?! What "original" turtles?! It was a sarcastic comic portraying stereotypical comicbook heroes and making fun of the industry. And it was black and white! Not red. And Mikey's always been a laid back party dude. Not an artistic cock sucking faggot who's in to photography of his own three toed feet!

khaaaaan
04-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Numer 3 was the awesomeness. (Support Oregon films!)

And christ Per, the third one was the shittiest of the bunch. Srsly

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 05:58 AM
What are you talking about? They went to China. It was sweeeet!

khaaaaan
04-05-2007, 06:02 AM
The fact that they went back in time to china/japan was what made it shitty. They are city ninja turtles, they're supposed to fight on roof tops and in warehouses. I'm actually surprised you haven't seen them at your workplace yet Per.

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 06:19 AM
I think this looks pretty sweet:
http://www.hotmoviesale.com/getImg.aspx?p=2&id=16755

We haven't seen them. But we have talked about them, and the milf hunter too.

Venom Symbiote
04-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Khan, you're not entirely accurate there. By "original", yes, I'm referring to the 1984 Eastman/Laird Mirage run. Yes, the first initial issues were black & white, but only because they couldn't afford the colour publishing costs. They were re-issued years later with color covers, and it was always intended the four guys shared the same red bandana. It was changed once the property became more kid-centric, as they couldn't easily differentiate between the guys.

Of course they were a spoof, a satire, of the '70s/'80s "anti-hero" fad; Wolverine, Punisher, Daredevil (hell, Splinter is a direct joke referring to Stick from DD/Elektra, and The Foot is a pisstake of The Hand). However, the humour intially came from the fact that they were ninja fuckin' mutated teenage talking turtles, rather than goofy surfer slang jokes and crude teenage humour.

Hell, in Eastman & Laird's comic series, fucking RAPH was the funny one, moreso than Mikey. Fuck, half the time Raphael was drunk and cursing his face off.

As for your retort about Michelangelo's personality, you're flat-out wrong I'm afraid. If there's anything in this world I know it's my motherfuckin' Ninja Turtles. Geeky or not, as a kid they were my life. Just trust me when I tell you old-toon/live-action & CG movie/2K3 cartoon Mikey is a shitload different than the original.

I don't dislike goofy Mikey, I think he has a lot of appeal especially for younger kids. But he was re-tooled with the '87 cartoon, and has been essentially the same ever since. The Mirage/Image series with artwork by Eastman/Laird/Lawson was a buttload different. Leo and Raph were essentially the same, but Don was more of a "introverted mechanic/handyman" than a tech/electronics genius. And Mikey was a total left-brain empathetic family-centred creative writer, who happened to be able to beat people's faces in with two sticks tied together with a chain. Basically a sweet timid kid ironically gifted with a higher fighting prowess than his more aggressive brothers.

Not a "cowabunga" in sight, until the '87 toon.

khaaaaan
04-05-2007, 06:53 AM
How old are you Venom?

Sinister
04-05-2007, 07:11 AM
21, profile says.

khaaaaan
04-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Then why does he care so much? And why has he read the '84 comic books? He was... 1!!! at the time! Christ..

Sinister
04-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Maybe he stumbled upon them much later. That happened to me with the Legend of Zelda TV episodes. Yay for youtube.

khaaaaan
04-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Doesn't explain why he cares so, so much. It's a cartoon show.

For some reason, I always type "cartton" first, then re write it. Strange.

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Or like Phil and Star Wars, which were made almost a decade before he was born...

khaaaaan
04-05-2007, 07:36 AM
HEY! Star Wars is COMPLETELY different!:mad:

Venom Symbiote
04-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Why do we care enough to post on Offspring message boards? Why discuss anything in any detail? I take an interest in it, since it was such a part of my chilhood. Just as this band was such a part of my teen years. What does it matter?

:confused:

You said something incorrect, I jumped in to debate the point. As everyone here does with their interests.

And yeah, I got into the comics as a pre-teen, sometime after the live-action movies. So what about the publication date? You really think any of the classic Batman or Spiderman or X-Men issues are new? Not at all. Re-prints, man. I'm not a collector or anything, I only own about half of Volume 3 and 4, and most of 1 some of 2, but I've pretty much read 'em all through borrowing from people as far as Mirage/Image goes. Not much of the Archie comics or the new releases, kind of fell out of the fandom for a few years, came back for the new movie.

And how the fuck is Star Wars different? :confused: Star Wars hasn't been any good since fucking Empire.

And yay, Sinister, for the retro Zelda toon. :) Hell, anything Zelda in general! Rock on, man. Rock the fuck on. Check out the old Mario cartoon series too, and Captain N, they were the shit way back when.

Paint_It_Black
04-05-2007, 09:09 AM
And how the fuck is Star Wars different? :confused: Star Wars hasn't been any good since fucking Empire.

Fuck your mother you repulsive maggot.

Er, I mean, I actually like the prequels.

BurningSnake
04-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Captain planet can kiss my ass
I don't like those saving the world by putting garbage in the trashcan

T-6005
04-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Fuck your mother you repulsive maggot.

Er, I mean, I actually like the prequels.
I did too. They made lightsabers even cooler. And they had excellent comic relief whenever Hayden and Natalie were together and being serious.

T-6005
04-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Captain planet can kiss my ass
I don't like those saving the world by putting garbage in the trashcan
Captain Planet was a badass. Except for that one "heart" or "love" dude. Fuck him.

I watched the 3rd movie last night, and I also think it's the best, Per. It's fun in a completely different way from the others, in that it seems like they've finally realized the ridiculous appeal that people in turtle suits running around could have.

At some point Michaelangelo says something like "He who dings the shell must pay!" and I actually laughed at it because there was some sort of simplistic charm about the entire thing, unlike the other two where you kind of watch them because they're badgood.

Stranger With Candy
04-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Turtles 3 was awful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02d9e4vvT0

T-6005
04-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Turtles 3 was awful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02d9e4vvT0
I saw the title and closed the window.

I just don't understand where that guy is funny. At all.

Lodat225
04-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I personally don't find him that funny too. The new movie TMNT is aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome.

Stranger With Candy
04-05-2007, 02:52 PM
I saw the title and closed the window.

I just don't understand where that guy is funny. At all.

Most of his movies sucks, but in this one he is actualy making a point. And he is not swearing all the time.

Paint_It_Black
04-05-2007, 10:47 PM
I did too. They made lightsabers even cooler.

Yeah, and actually had some real fucking Jedis to use them.

All About Eve
04-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Don't forget that they had Samuel L. Jackson. I don't recall him being in the first three.

Paint_It_Black
04-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Well they had their own token black guy back then.

T-6005
04-07-2007, 11:27 PM
I felt it fit in this thread, but the beginning of both Power Rangers movies totally steals the beginning of the Star Wars movies.