PDA

View Full Version : room mates, y/n?

Nina
04-05-2007, 06:02 AM
I heard awful stories about room mates. Almost everyone who I speak to tells me that I should try to NOT live with a room mate.

Experiences? Stories? Opinions on how to find and pick room mates?

Yeah, this is a lot more important than it sounds, haha. I havent decided yet but I should be doing it soon.

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 06:05 AM
It can go bad, it can go good. The attractive part is you save money. I know people who don't mind theirs, and people who do. It's a matter of chemistry between the two.

Nina
04-05-2007, 06:16 AM
I only heard the negatives. It made me wonder.

killer_queen
04-05-2007, 06:22 AM
My friends always tell me that it gets worse if you're living with a friend. Someone close, very close. If you live with a stranger that you trust, it's so much easier they say. People who don't really know each other are more scared to hurt and bother each other. They tell me that it's like living alone but having someone to chat under your hand. And yes, saving money is a big plus too.

Tizzalicious
04-05-2007, 06:23 AM
If they are great people, it could probably be great, but personally, it would drive me insane. I need my own space, I need my own place, my own thing.

Knowing you, it would probably drive you insane too. Their mess, their noise, their friends, it's not just them you're dealing with.

Nina
04-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Knowing you, it would probably drive you insane too. Their mess, their noise, their friends, it's not just them you're dealing with.

Yeah I feared that :/ I guess I generally tend to living on my own, but as Per pointed out, it'll cost less with a roomie. And I DEFINITELY wouldnt choose a stranger! zomg I'm too paranoid for that.

Paint_It_Black
04-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Avoid it if at all possible.

But if you must do it, well, you'll get used to it.

Nina
04-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Well, then here is another question to people who dont live at home anymore:

Are you lonely when you're all alone? Is the feeling unbearable? Or will one get used to it quickly? Do you miss your family much? That's definitely a personal question and is different from person to person, but I'd like to hear opinions.

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 06:36 AM
I pretty much always try to have people over here when Tizzie isn't here. Family and friends. Unless I'm feeling lazy.

Paint_It_Black
04-05-2007, 06:39 AM
Personally I usually love it when I get some time alone, but then I live with two other people.

killer_queen
04-05-2007, 06:43 AM
I love being alone. You get to know yourself and know what you want more when you are alone. But also I'm a big fan of talking too and it drives me crazy when I can't tell about the movie I watched or book I read. And I eat too much when I'm alone. So no, although I love it loneliness isn't healthy for me. I'm going to do it anyway, though.

Venom Symbiote
04-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Roommates save you money, so they're all good. Just make sure they're friends, don't put out a roommate advertisement and live with someone you don't already know. That's when there's problems and you'll either eventually kick them out or leave yourself.

Llamas
04-05-2007, 07:48 AM
My friends always tell me that it gets worse if you're living with a friend. Someone close, very close. If you live with a stranger that you trust, it's so much easier they say. People who don't really know each other are more scared to hurt and bother each other. They tell me that it's like living alone but having someone to chat under your hand. And yes, saving money is a big plus too.

It's not consistently so. Of all the roommates I've had, I had several randoms and several friends. I won't count my current condition, since I've only been here for two months... so I've lived then with 3 total randoms, 3 people I didn't know but they were another roommate's friend, and 4 friends. Of these people, 2 of the randoms were horrible, one because a good friend. All three of the people I didn't know beforehand but were friends of another roommate I was neutral on. Of the four friends, two of them became lesser friends with me over time (one went REALLY bad - almost as bad as the two randoms), one stayed the same, and one became closer. For me, it's totally inconsistent, but I have a hugely positive opinion of random roommates.

Well, then here is another question to people who dont live at home anymore:

Are you lonely when you're all alone? Is the feeling unbearable? Or will one get used to it quickly? Do you miss your family much? That's definitely a personal question and is different from person to person, but I'd like to hear opinions.

I've wanted to live on my own for the past 3 years. I've not done it due to cost. I like being alone at times, and I personally just want a year of living by myself to get away from the messes of other people. Maybe better would be to find someone who is clean to live with. I'm not sure.

ZagmenO
04-05-2007, 08:25 AM
I'll only have a room mate if it's female!

JoY
04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Anton, anyone?

well, my boyfriend & I started off as just being housemates.

in the Netherlands it's not common you share a room with a person, but you rent a room from someone who owns a house & has rooms for rent. that could be in a house in which the house owner him-/herself also lives on another floor, but that could also be a house, bought by the owner merely to rent it to students. a lot of people buy such a house for their own child, so he/she can live with his/her friends in one house. you only share the kitchen, toilet & bathroom most of the times.

I used to live in a very small room with sucky housemates (well, except of course for my boyfriend). one of my housemates was the son of the owners, so yeah, not much you're going to do about it, except move. I moved & now I live right in the center of Amsterdam, have a way bigger room & very nice housemates in general, one who already was my friend before we came to live here, one who became my friend. we're with five, we have our own front door, two floors in a 16th century house, our bathroom's in the kitchen, our toilet is a deathtrap (well yeah, nothing in life is ALL positive), but it's cool.

I like having people around me. not non-stop, but in general, & I can choose the moments I am, or am not alone in a studenthouse. people have their things to do & that reminds me that I have my things to do... I become too isolated when living alone. I'm no good living on my own. it's actually quite pathetic, but that's the way it is. I just become isolated more & more, like I'm kind of slowly fading away. I just need people around me with structure & productivity. I find it so incredibly hard to be structured & therefore I find it so incredibly hard to be productive in an efficient way.. so I need life around me, just the business, the coziness, the good things, the bad things, or else I feel like the life is sucked out of me.

plus, I'm one extremely social bunny. I need to be able to TALK to people & have their company. like I said earlier; definitely not non-stop, but I just like it to have people around me. I can entertain myself very well, though. don't think that I can't, because you'd be totally off. I can be wrapped up in my own little world with billions of people around me & no people at all. I need personal space, definitely, but I have that, because I have my own room.

Nina
04-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the reply, Bella!
This does give more evidence that it's risky, though...because you didnt like it at the first place you lived. and I HATE moving.
hmpf,kd,vxdmf.

Since prices in Holland seem to be similar to the ones in Germany: Did you need many things when you moved out? Did you save money before you moved? How much did you have at the beginning?

Per, how much did you invest in your apartment? Is there a number you can tell me?

JoY
04-05-2007, 09:10 AM
sure, it's risky. but maaan, some experience, also!

just things I see in my new housemates & compare with things I saw in my old housemates & things I saw in myself as being one of the housemates. for instance how I function in a house of five students. that's an education in itself.

for instance (& it's a pretty tiny, meaningless example), I NEVER did the dishes. ever. everyone fucking despised that habit of mine & we only got into verbal fights over it, which made me go "fuck it, I'm not doing them to please YOU" (childish, I know). it's like you can't bring yourself to have the discipline to do the freakin' dishes, so you act indifferent about it & the dirty dishes & indifferent attitude annoy your housemates to hell & back. now one of my new housemates is like that & although I do the dishes every time after eating something now, I understand it & recognise something of myself in her, so I help her out every once in a while by doing them together, so it isn't as much work for her, & try to hush the frustration of the other ones, because it's only counter productive in her case. she now does them by herself more often. it rules! keeps my house clean, my housemates happy & the atmosphere good.

& I have made friends, even in my old house I've gained contacts that are still valuable to me, even though the housemates sucked. for one, of course my boyfriend. but also that dude, Anton, whose parents owned the place & who was a total dumbass socially? we still go out for dinner sometimes. living with him is HELL, but just occasionally seeing each other, have fun & stuff, is actually pretty nice. I don't really think the people I lived with sucked, but they just sucked to live with.

learning to live with each other teaches you a buttload of things about yourself & also about how to deal with other persons with other personalities without just walking away from it. you can't do that, when you live together.

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 09:11 AM
You mean aside from things like rent and deposit? Just the actual cost of moving?

We've spent quite a bit on furniture, even though some of that furniture came from Aldi. We had to buy everything, vacuum cleaner, coffee machine, table, silverware, plates, cups. We bought a tv stand, a rack for dvds and stuff. We bought lamps tons of drawers and box things. Decorations for the walls. And tizz also brought a lot of stuff from Holland. This easily cost over 400 euros. Which is what are rent is.

Nina
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
learning to live with each other teaches you a buttload of things about yourself & also about how to deal with other persons with other personalities without just walking away from it. you can't do that, when you live together.

I dunno if I want to! I'm very difficult to live with, haha. I dont like when things lie around, but I'm not super duper tidy either. I'm just pretty neurotic and some stuff that doesnt seem important annoys me a lot.

You mean aside from things like rent and deposit? Just the actual cost of moving?

This easily cost over 400 euros.

Yes I meant that, and 400 doesnt sound like a lot at all!!! I guess that means you didnt buy things like fridge, freezer, etc... because that alone would be over 400 I assume.
Hm.
I consider saving up, like, 3000€ before I move. And I dont mind Aldi furniture either ;P

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 09:21 AM
400 was on the low side, between 400-800. Tizzie probably put in the same amount as well.

Nina
04-05-2007, 09:23 AM
My estimation was right then! You were a lot of help, Per. Thank youz.

Paint_It_Black
04-05-2007, 09:23 AM
I would really expect things like a fridge/freezer to be included in an apartment. I've never seen an apartment that didn't come with a fridge, freezer and oven.

Nina
04-05-2007, 09:24 AM
I would really expect things like a fridge/freezer to be included in an apartment. I've never seen an apartment that didn't come with a fridge, freezer and oven.

Björn had to buy everything, except the oven. It was pretty horrible but there wasnt another choice.

I better expect to buy things like that and then be happy if things turn out differently and when I have extra money for deco stuff, haha.

Paint_It_Black
04-05-2007, 09:27 AM
I wonder if Björn was just unlucky or if that's common over there?

Nina
04-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Pretty common I think, we had to buy a fridge for the second apartment, and when we moved we needed a fridge again...obviously we took the old one with us.

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Wow that would just suck. :o

Tizzalicious
04-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm so glad we didn't have to by a fridge. Or anything crazy like that.

I still love or vacuum cleaner though, so nice and bendy.

Rag Doll
04-05-2007, 09:51 AM
well lets see. though it isn't totally the same, my best friend dorms at her university. she loved her first roommate, they just got annoyed with each other from time to time. the next roommate she hated after like 2 weeks. she's now back to living with her first roommate again. my other friend rents a house with 2 other people (his girlfriend and their friend)...so he liked his roommates just fine. originally they had a 4th roommate, but the kid just like disappeared one day and went back home to live with his girlfriend in her parents house. he fucked them over on the rent and doesn't even speak to them anymore. that was the only real negative my friend has had with that place though. now, his lease is running out and he needs to find another roommate to be able to afford it. i'm debating moving in with him, but i don't know if i really want to spend the money to live in a really shitty/unsafe town.

and i totally knew this was your topic from the "y/n?".... =p

JoY
04-05-2007, 09:59 AM
...and I HATE moving.
hmpf,kd,vxdmf.

Since prices in Holland seem to be similar to the ones in Germany: Did you need many things when you moved out? Did you save money before you moved? How much did you have at the beginning?

I hate moving too, especially because I get so emotionally attached to my personal space that is my room. plus, I'm a chaotic bundle of shit; moving ALLL of my junk takes aaaages & so much effort, just to sort everything out again to put it into boxes, et cetera. but I attach to a place I call "home" pretty easily. the first few weeks always felt weird, if I'd just moved, & I'd tell somebody I was going "home". but even after the first few days it starts becoming more & more comfortable & the place becomes yours personally, with all your things & everything.

about the prices; my first room was in a studenthouse of eight students in total, just outside the center (10 minutes biking to central station, the location was awesome) cost 290 euros per month & was 30m2. in Amsterdam that's such an amazingly good deal. 30m2 rooms most often don't cost anything under 450 euros anywhere in Amsterdam. (& I literally mean "anywhere", also 40 minutes by bike away from the center) it was a contract for six months, though, because the house was going to be sold.

my second room was actually a house.. it was for sale & they let me live there, until it was sold. it was on the Museum Square, for free. so again, pretty awesome. I pretty much lived alone there, though. that's how I know I can't live alone.

the third room was the one in the studenthouse I was telling you about, that had my (now) boyfriend & Anton living there too. we lived with five, I had a room of less than 10m2, it was way, waaaaay outside the center & it cost 310 euros per month. worst deal ever, but I was fed up with myself & sick of living alone. thank god I was, or I wouldn't have been with Huibert.

then comes the room I live in now. you can see it from the central station, so it's right in the center of Amsterdam. we live with five, it costs 350 euros per month & I have a room of 18m2, so not too tiny & not too big to make too much mess in. ;p

when I moved out, I took a couch with me, a bed of course, a desk, my mother made curtains & that was basically the worst that had to be done to move me out. we didn't need to specially buy anything, except fabric for the curtains, there was a closet in the room already.. so except for a little chest with drawers, my books & the rest of my shit, that was all. needless to say I had a lot of space left in that room, it was huge.

over the years I bought an electric piano, my parents & I bought me my own computer, I had a desk built specially for me, because I moved to that tiny room of 10m2... now I've moved to a bigger room (& have a boyfriend & all), I got a twin-bed (kind of, it's 1.40m wide, or something like that), I brought an extra bookchest & my good stereo with me to Amsterdam from my parents'.. everything kinda came one at the time, when I needed it & when I had space for it. of course in my third room I had no space for a couch, so we temporarily moved it back to my parents. most of the stuff I already had at my parents' & they also saved things for me, like chairs for in the kitchen & stuff like that.

I had money on a saving acount, that I spent on the piano (& living in Amsterdam, cuz it ain't cheepos), my parents helped me out a lot when it comes to the bed, the desk & the computer... we moved everything with our Volkswagen Passat every time, so it's doable. I knew my past "homes" weren't forever. one had a contract for 6 months, one was for sale, one was way too small, way too expensive & way too far away.. the room I've got now is the first room that makes me feel like I'm going to stick around for a while here.

(whoops, sorry, loooong. but I lived at so many places... :/)

nieh
04-05-2007, 10:04 AM
There's only a small handful of people in the world I could ever imagine living with without ending up trying to kill each other after a few weeks/months/whatever. So no, roommates aren't a good idea for me.

Vera
04-05-2007, 10:05 AM
y to Anton, n to anybody else.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread except that I'd move out of the house if I could as any fat bastard would be more pleasant to live with than my mum. :/ [/family angst]

T-6005
04-05-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't mind sharing residential space with other people. Sometimes it's annoying, such as when they're loud and I have to get up in the morning, but I'm generally patient about that and can live with it. Actual roommates are kind of annoying though - last year's roomate and I got through it by not talking to each other at all throughout the year.

No interaction, no problems. Worked for us.

JohnnyNemesis
04-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I've never had a roommate, even as a college student (PRNK N all of you who go to bigger schools, lawl). I'm so glad I've never had that experience, but from what I've seen among my friends, the key is finding someone you get along with really well but aren't quite "friends" with yet.

Super close friendships risk getting ruined, but when there's less at stake it seems go well.

JoY
04-05-2007, 10:14 AM
oh right, & because I've mostly lived in studenthouses & once in a house that was still partly furnished (only the kitchen), I never had to buy things like a fridge & that kind of stuff.

this kitchen lacks stuff, though. it used to be horrible, but I got a table, chairs & microwave/oven from my uncle, who was going to get rid of it all anyway (he just got a new kitchen), so this way I've never really had to buy many things. whenever my parents, their friends, or family is getting rid of stuff, they always contact each other first, asking if the kids (when students/living on their own) still need anything.

Nina
04-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Bella, the prices you mentioned...was that your share? Sorry if thats a dumb question but I can hardly believe it if it's true! And if not, what was your share?

Well I guess the majority of you convinced me to look for an apartment to live in alone. I'll probably look for one that costs me 300-400€ a month.

JoY
04-05-2007, 11:13 AM
it's what I pay, yes. but you do get a kitchen, sort-of-bathroom, toilet & all that jazz with it. plus, it includes water & gas.

Zeall
04-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd like to one day, but none of my friends can afford it. Or maybe they don't want to share with me, who knows :(

Nina
06-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I'm bumping another thread. But I consider that the better option (the other option would be just making a new one. waaassttee).

So, this is getting more serious with each day. I have estimated an unbelievable 5000€ that I'll need for
1) first rent
2) bail money (I hope that's the right word. I looked it up, ha)
3) paint/etc
4) furniture
5) food
6) stuff I need (other than food and furniture, like cleaning stuff, etc)
7) blablabla

But that was my first estimation, lately I've been working on the second version of my list ;P

For anyone who has moved out of the house on their own and lives in Europe: Do you think 5000€ might not be enough? Keep in mind that I have to buy my entire furniture (though only the basics, nothing fancy).

wheelchairman
06-29-2007, 03:21 PM
By bail do you mean pre-paid rent? Or are you literally paying your way out of jail?

It obviously can never hurt to have too much money. You should also account for things like copying keys (although as I've discovered, this can still lock you out...) administrative fees etc. Although I imagine that goes under bla bla bla.

You obviously have more than 3 months rent saved up, so you're safe on that ground.

Sin Studly
06-29-2007, 03:35 PM
My best (worst) room-mate story?

"Hay guys, I just broke up with my stripper girlfriend and I refused to give her tv back, so she told her fiance who she was cheating on with me, and he's in Yugoslavian mafia and now Yugoslavian mafia are coming to our house to kill me. But it's okay, becuz we'll all fite them off together, amirite?"

Little_Miss_1565
06-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I get too lonely to live on my own. I'm fine having my own space in my room, but I don't like an empty house. Also, splitting the bills is wooonderful.

I've had bad roommate experiences, and I've had great ones. Just make sure everyone is open and honest and above all respectful.

Anya82
06-29-2007, 10:08 PM
yes or no?
For me, it's YES

I can tell you I've experienced almost everything: i've lived with my brother, with a very very close male friend, by myself, with another family, and now with my boyfriend.

As some people have already said, yes, it saves money, and if you don't like to be alone there's always people in the aptment, and even you could make new friends, you can help each other sometimes, and even learn. I even lived with another woman, who's 10 years older than me, and she's a lawyer. We are SO alike, and I learned a lot from her, and she learned from me. She's the best roommate I've ever had.

Having roomies has been a positive experience for me. The only time i wasn't comfortable was when I lived with a very close friend because we have very different personalities. As roomies things didn't go well, so, we decided to live appart, and that way our friendship is great as always.

You can never know how things are going to be with friends, strangers, or relatives. Cause every person is different. But I could give you some advice:

--> Try to catch up with someone who's a bit like you. Don't look for someone who's almost your opposite.
--> RULES. Make your rules. Cause maybe you don't like things done in certain way, and the other person finds those things usual.
--> Don't forget the golden rule: respect and mind your own business. Cause it's annoying to live with someone who keeps asking you what did you do last night, where are you going, what are you doing, or even worse... enters your room and messes up with your things.
--> Organize. Talk about how bills are gonna be paid, how and how often are you gonna clean the house, stuff like that.

There are more things I've learned from my experiences, but for now I'll leave you with that.

ninthlayer
07-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Cause it's annoying to live with someone who keeps asking you what did you do last night, where are you going, what are you doing
Isn't this called small talk? Just because someone asks you what you're doing/what you've done doesn't mean that they actually care.

My roommate experiences have never been all that bad. I lived with my best friend for a year when I graduated from high school and things were pretty sweet. We were poor as fuck and our place was a mess, but we only got in a few arguments and they were all my doing (kek).

I somehow ended up living with a guy from high school that I never talked to much and we ended up being roommates for something like three years. First I moved in with him and another guy, then the other guy moved away and the two of us got a new place with a scenester girlie. That situation went decently well until the last two weeks of our lease when the girlie got all pissed at me for calling her a cunt for complaining about the party I was having on my birthday. We then lived at another apartment for two years and I spent most of my time playing World of Warcraft and trying to ignore the snores coming from the bear asleep on the couch.

I'm currently living with my grandparents for the summer and it's pretty bitchin', if not somewhat lame. As always I'm taking my sweet time in finding a new apartment and have about a month to do so before it really gets down to holyshitpanicmode, but I'm optimistic. I'm going to be living in the same city as RickyCrackz and going to school there, so we can be liberal d-bags and wear flipflops together (still breaking mine in). I'll be living with a theatre major so faggotry will be in abundance and it will be glorious.

Szandi
07-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Shit.
I lived with another girl and....
She was a nagging. that what I eat, how I dressed.

Paint_It_Black
07-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I imagine you sounding exactly like Borat. Please don't change.

Betty
07-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Roommates!

Well, in general I support them.

One reason is definitely money, as mentionned. I live in a two bedroom apartment right now and the rent is $800, but since it's split I only pay $400 plus half of the phone/Internet/hydro. A smaller one bedroom apartment would cost me at least $650-$700 and the full amount for the bills.

I've lived with a bunch of friends and... 6 random people now. Although 4 of the random people I lived with in the same house as with some of my friends. Out of the 6, 2 were absolutely incredible people, 2 were pretty okay, and 2 were not great, but not so horrible I couldn't stand living with them. When it came to my friends, in some cases there was tension in the friendship, but nothing we didn't get over.

I'm incredibly busy and rarely home, but I still like having somebody to live with. It's just nice to come home at night and have somebody around to chat with and sometimes have dinner or a drink with. I'm totally fine on my own, but I think I prefer the company.

I would definitely recommend the random stranger approach. If you do some research, I don't think you could go terribly wrong. I mean, a serious student or a young professional has to be relatively responsible in terms of their life. The worst that could happen is a clash of personalities. But be clear on what you're like and what you want your roommate to be like. You can chat with them for quite some time to see if you'd get along. I'll warn you that you never know exactly until you live with them though.

My biggest problem with people is that they're too messy. I'm not even a neat freak, but I was raised to clean things properly when I DO clean them. I mean, people that I live with never sweep the floor, vacuum the floor, mop the floor. Those are pretty basic things and I'm still the only one who ever does them (out of ALL those roommates I mentionned). Then there are all the smaller things like dusting the corners and cleaning the mold on the shower curtain. It's guaranteed that I'm the only one that will ever do that. But I've gotten used to it. Basically if someone can do their dishes and keep the kitchen clean, and maybe help out with the garbage and not leaving moldy food in the fridge, it can work out.

I'm living with a pretty sketchy guy now. He's REALLY weird, but that's okay with me. He's anti-social, and that bothers me, but I can handle it. He has HORRIBLE taste in music and sings really loud in his bedroom. But that's okay. He's just too much of a slob and too lazy and that is just starting to eat away at me. I'm pretty picky about stuff, but hopefully people will agree that:

-clogging the kitchen sink because you shove all your food scraps down the drain
-leaving something in the oven to burn for hours and then having intense burn smell in the apartment for 4 days without having the common sense to OPEN A WINDOW
-Using sharp knives to cut things in Teflon pans
-Leaving a bowl with soggy bread and a condom wrapper in the sink

are all pretty sketch things to do.

I like people who are ambitious. I think my next advertisement is gonna say I don't want any anti-social video game (WOW) addicts. Only mild Internet addiction is acceptable.

Anya82
07-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Isn't this called small talk? Just because someone asks you what you're doing/what you've done doesn't mean that they actually care.
There's a big difference between small talk and sticking up someone's nose. And of course I meant the second, in my last post.

Besides, I'm a very private person when it comes to sharing an apartment, cause "home" and my room are the places where I can relax, and having someone asking over and over, pushing about what i do doesn't fit in my life.

Szandi
07-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Roommates!

Well, in general I support them.

One reason is definitely money, as mentionned. I live in a two bedroom apartment right now and the rent is $800, but since it's split I only pay $400 plus half of the phone/Internet/hydro. A smaller one bedroom apartment would cost me at least $650-$700 and the full amount for the bills.

I've lived with a bunch of friends and... 6 random people now. Although 4 of the random people I lived with in the same house as with some of my friends. Out of the 6, 2 were absolutely incredible people, 2 were pretty okay, and 2 were not great, but not so horrible I couldn't stand living with them. When it came to my friends, in some cases there was tension in the friendship, but nothing we didn't get over.

I'm incredibly busy and rarely home, but I still like having somebody to live with. It's just nice to come home at night and have somebody around to chat with and sometimes have dinner or a drink with. I'm totally fine on my own, but I think I prefer the company.

I would definitely recommend the random stranger approach. If you do some research, I don't think you could go terribly wrong. I mean, a serious student or a young professional has to be relatively responsible in terms of their life. The worst that could happen is a clash of personalities. But be clear on what you're like and what you want your roommate to be like. You can chat with them for quite some time to see if you'd get along. I'll warn you that you never know exactly until you live with them though.

My biggest problem with people is that they're too messy. I'm not even a neat freak, but I was raised to clean things properly when I DO clean them. I mean, people that I live with never sweep the floor, vacuum the floor, mop the floor. Those are pretty basic things and I'm still the only one who ever does them (out of ALL those roommates I mentionned). Then there are all the smaller things like dusting the corners and cleaning the mold on the shower curtain. It's guaranteed that I'm the only one that will ever do that. But I've gotten used to it. Basically if someone can do their dishes and keep the kitchen clean, and maybe help out with the garbage and not leaving moldy food in the fridge, it can work out.

I'm living with a pretty sketchy guy now. He's REALLY weird, but that's okay with me. He's anti-social, and that bothers me, but I can handle it. He has HORRIBLE taste in music and sings really loud in his bedroom. But that's okay. He's just too much of a slob and too lazy and that is just starting to eat away at me. I'm pretty picky about stuff, but hopefully people will agree that:

-clogging the kitchen sink because you shove all your food scraps down the drain
-leaving something in the oven to burn for hours and then having intense burn smell in the apartment for 4 days without having the common sense to OPEN A WINDOW
-Using sharp knives to cut things in Teflon pans
-Leaving a bowl with soggy bread and a condom wrapper in the sink

are all pretty sketch things to do.

I like people who are ambitious. I think my next advertisement is gonna say I don't want any anti-social video game (WOW) addicts. Only mild Internet addiction is acceptable.

I pay 80£/ week and it s a double room.