PDA

View Full Version : I actually like the retro craze being widespread.

T-6005
04-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I think Ricky will disagree with me on this one because he is a trulyretropunx.

But if it hadn't been, I'd never have realized that I could delve into stuff from my childhood so easily. It was just kind of a nostalgic feeling I'd get once in a while that I always wanted to pursue but never had the opportunity to. Now, with the habit of looking back into one's childhood so widespread, I can think of something I used to enjoy and the chances that someone actually has it for me to enjoy are greatly increased.

I never kept much - my Megadrive went into the trash when it broke, much to my then-dismay, and I would never have bothered to search far and wide for another. Now I can look around and someone will have one. The same for the original NES with duck hunt. They're widely available because everyone wants to recapture those years, and because of that I can enjoy the items I loved in my youth at will without worrying overmuch about them breaking and being gone forever.

And yes, I know that people going on day and night about what they loved from that era and how they have the special version that wasn't part of the later reissue are incredibly annoying. But I don't need them when I am rocking Sonic 2 or enjoying someone calling Shredder a kitchen appliance.

Hrm - I'm not sure what point I was trying to make any more.

JohnnyNemesis
04-05-2007, 02:25 PM
My stance on your point: death to the infidels!

wheelchairman
04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I bought a SNES. I bought Star Trek TNG season 1. I bought Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, season 1. I have 7 Steven Seagal films. 1 Van Damme film, and like 5 Arnold Schwarzenegger films. (I only need Bruce Willis!). I went to a party a few weeks ago, got stoned. And belted out all the words to a KORN song from a decade ago, and everyone else around me knew the words too. I feel you Thi!

Lodat225
04-05-2007, 03:19 PM
and like 5 Arnold Schwarzenegger films.

http://eeuauaughhhuauaahh.ytmnd.com/

khaaaaan
04-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Haha:D crazy arnold is crazy. I wonder which film the gurgling's from? Maybe total recall when his head's about to pop.

mrconeman
04-05-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm so retro I've been recapturing my youth since my youth.

T-6005
04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm so retro I've been recapturing my youth since my youth.
Does this mean watching birthing videos as a toddler?

mrconeman
04-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Well it does now.

Jakebert
04-05-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't mind the retro craze for the most part, but I am getting annoyed with people who obviously weren't actually into whatever is cool now (for example, TMNT) yet pretend that they were die-hard fans just to fit in with the whole thing. I have no idea why, but if bugs me.

Lodat225
04-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Yo - so i saw TMNT and i'm the biggest fan ever.

Paint_It_Black
04-05-2007, 10:58 PM
The same for the original NES with duck hunt.

I read that as dick hunt. You should change it, it's better my way.

Oh, and I generally agree.

Tizzalicious
04-06-2007, 12:01 AM
I share your retro and megadrive love. Mine still works, weooh!

Venom Symbiote
04-06-2007, 12:25 AM
I don't mind the retro craze for the most part, but I am getting annoyed with people who obviously weren't actually into whatever is cool now (for example, TMNT) yet pretend that they were die-hard fans just to fit in with the whole thing. I have no idea why, but if bugs me.

Yeap, pretty much my stance on it. I enjoy the fact people are recognising how great the '80s/early '90s obviously were, but it pisses me off when you see some 15 year old wearing some lame Nintendo-merch t-shirt with something like "Rockin' it old-school" on it. Retarded.

Or, yes, regarding something like Ninja Turtles where some doucheface will walk up to you in line at the cineplex after you've just bought a ticket to the new movie. "Whoa, you like Ninja Turtles? I LOVED them back in the day man, the orange one Donatello, with the swords, he was RAD!"

Bullshit to them.

Lodat225
04-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Well, your first point isn't really that valid.

I am young, yet i love the NES/SNES games more than the ones now. I didn't play games when i was younger but i play them now like crazy.

Paint_It_Black
04-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah, but Lodat, no offense or anything...we think that's lame.

JohnnyNemesis
04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Sorry, have to do it...

Oh look, Venom's being insightful again.

Jakebert
04-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I actually feel almost insulted when he agrees with me on something, because it's basically the same as being called stupid.

Paint_It_Black
04-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I feel your pain. He agreed with me recently.

T-6005
04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
I actually feel almost insulted when he agrees with me on something, because it's basically the same as being called stupid.

I feel your pain. He agreed with me recently.
For serious:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/thibaultk/michael_bluthcopy.jpg

Lodat225
04-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah, but Lodat, no offense or anything...we think that's lame.

Yeah, I know it is. It's just that he said that young people that say they play "old skool" are lying or something or that it pisses him off 'cause we weren't around to play it when it came out...

or something.

Venom Symbiote
04-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Oh look, Venom's being insightful again.

Whatthehellthisalwaysconfusesmeareyouguysbeingsarc asticorwhat? :( :confused: :p

Lodat, it's not so much that you guys play the Retro games and all, like if you were too young to remember but you have an older brother or sister who broke out the NES recently for nostalgic reasons, fine.

I just hate the "let's go into a Hot Topic and buy an original 'toon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt, just to look trendy" bullshit.

It's the same with those god-forsaken fucks wearing Autobots and Decepticon logo t-shirts, they're everywhere, almost as common as emos. You ask them to name one Transformer aside from Prime and Megatron, they're all "dude, I don't know, stop being a nerd".

Fuck 'em. I was never that big a fan or knowledgable on Transformers anyway, but I don't go around wearing their t-shirts either.

Lodat225
04-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Transformers is the shit.

The movie would suck.

Paint_It_Black
04-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Oh look, it's Lodat being insightful again.

Lodat225
04-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm never insightful.

JohnnyNemesis
04-07-2007, 02:16 AM
True .

Lodat225
04-07-2007, 08:03 AM
You put spaces between the letters.

T r u e.

You see?

Llamas
04-07-2007, 08:08 AM
I prefer Ricky's way of doing it.

Lodat225
04-07-2007, 08:13 AM
WELL I DON'T. i

Jakebert
04-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Whatthehellthisalwaysconfusesmeareyouguysbeingsarc asticorwhat? :( :confused: :p

Lodat, it's not so much that you guys play the Retro games and all, like if you were too young to remember but you have an older brother or sister who broke out the NES recently for nostalgic reasons, fine.

I just hate the "let's go into a Hot Topic and buy an original 'toon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt, just to look trendy" bullshit.

It's the same with those god-forsaken fucks wearing Autobots and Decepticon logo t-shirts, they're everywhere, almost as common as emos. You ask them to name one Transformer aside from Prime and Megatron, they're all "dude, I don't know, stop being a nerd".

Fuck 'em. I was never that big a fan or knowledgable on Transformers anyway, but I don't go around wearing their t-shirts either.

You know what I like? Women.

Paint_It_Black
04-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Maybe you can get a shirt with a woman on it.