PDA

View Full Version : St. Anger

zacsta
04-07-2007, 05:43 AM
i just downloaded st. anger today and am currently still listening to it (havnt finnished it yet) and i had my expectations down cos everyone seems to think its pure shit, but i love it!
yeh i guess for the longtime metallica fans its different to their traditional metallica, but i love the heavy riffs and raw sounding production.it really does sound like a band just jamming together and experimenting with sounds and stuff. i reckon its awesome headbanging stuff.

Llamas
04-07-2007, 05:48 AM
Fact: the only good Metallica songs are "Unforgiven" and "Nothing Else Matters".
Therefore, St. Anger can't possibly be a good album.

Continue.

Grabbal
04-07-2007, 05:51 AM
Brianna is right!

Even though I've never heard the album.

mrconeman
04-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Sounds like a band jamming together?
Yes, with crappy equipment, in some run down garage and using trash cans for drums. Oh and a lack of song writing talent.

fran-tic-tic-tic-toc!
So deep man.

Grabbal
04-07-2007, 06:00 AM
Long reviews shortened:

"What an utter mess"

"The guitars are processed into high-tech oblivion, and every song is eight minutes long when it should be five"

"St. Anger suffers mightily for its thin, washed-out sound.... A messy, unsatisfying misfire"

"Songs like "Frantic," "Dirty Window," and even the balladesque "Sweet Amber" stop and start, cut to pieces by groove-robbing edits that replace the guitar harmonies on which Metallica built an industry"

"The guitars stumble in a monotone of mid-level, processed rattle; the drums don't propel as much as struggle to disguise an all-too-turgid pace; and the rage is both unfocused and leavened with too much narcissistic navel-gazing"

Ahh well

Llamas
04-07-2007, 06:03 AM
I just went to youtube to listen to the song St. Anger... it was horrible. And I don't like Metallica, but this was just way worse than normal. This was like almost as bad as most nu metal...

zacsta
04-07-2007, 06:03 AM
you judged a bands music from youtube? right...
watever you guys, i love it

mrconeman
04-07-2007, 06:04 AM
edit
@Grabbal: Or to borrow from Spinal Tap -"Shit Sandwich"

And yeah, they were definatly trying to sound nu-metal to appeal to the 2001-2002 audience of Limp Bizkit fans.

Llamas
04-07-2007, 06:16 AM
you judged a bands music from youtube? right...
watever you guys, i love it

What? I judged the band's music based on three albums and all their singles.

I judged the quality of an album based on its single. What does it being on youtube have to do with anything? Does that make it somehow worse quality?

Grabbal
04-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Saint Anger 'round my neck
He never gets respect

(You flush it out, You flush it out)
He never gets respect
He never gets respect

So deep man.

Amiralanal
04-07-2007, 06:38 AM
i just downloaded st. anger today and am currently still listening to it (havnt finnished it yet) and i had my expectations down cos everyone seems to think its pure shit, but i love it!
yeh i guess for the longtime metallica fans its different to their traditional metallica, but i love the heavy riffs and raw sounding production.it really does sound like a band just jamming together and experimenting with sounds and stuff. i reckon its awesome headbanging stuff.

WTF? didnt it come out in 02 or 03? Why bother posting now?

Llamas
04-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Maybe because he just now heard it? Most of the bands that are discussed in this forum aren't like brand new bands or anything...

Jakebert
04-07-2007, 08:05 AM
edit
@Grabbal: Or to borrow from Spinal Tap -"Shit Sandwich"

And yeah, they were definatly trying to sound nu-metal to appeal to the 2001-2002 audience of Limp Bizkit fans.

Spinal Tap reference FTW!

As for the album, St. Anger is what turned Metallica from a band that I felt was overrated to a band I had no respect for. It's the most blatent attempt at trying to make a popular, "current" album that I've ever heard.

wheelchairman
04-07-2007, 08:51 AM
I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about. I like St. Anger, and I hear no relation whatsoever to nu-metal and St. Anger. I don't remember how the title song goes, but the rest of the album doesn't sound anything like nu-metal. I personally enjoyed listening to it, and I imagine I still would if I put it on today.

nieh
04-07-2007, 09:11 AM
St. Anger tribute (http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/mp3/MattSmith-St.AngerTribute.mp3)
I love how dead on the drum sound is when he's actually hitting a metal folding chair instead of a snare.

Grabbal
04-07-2007, 09:25 AM
MattSmith <3 for making that.

zacsta
04-07-2007, 03:52 PM
you judge the whole album on the single? so you dont take the offspring seriously?

Llamas
04-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Nope, I don't take the Offspring seriously. But that's beside the point. I judged the quality of the recording on the album based on one song. It's not like they changed how they recorded it for one song...

mrconeman
04-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Well I've heard it all. The production of the guitars and drums is utterly horrible.

nieh
04-07-2007, 08:12 PM
MattSmith <3 for making that.

Have you ever heard his 'band' Theocracy? I just learned about them today when I was trying to find the link to the St. Anger tribute. It's decent and this is coming from someone that doesn't like power metal in the slightest. It's impressive too because he did EVERYTHING for the album. Guitars, bass, keyboards, lead/background/group/choir vocals, drum programming (he uses a drum machine but you probably wouldn't notice if no one told you), engineering and production. It's pretty neat.

Ninty Man
04-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Just one word:

SUX

ninthlayer
04-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Fade to Black is pretty sweet.

H1T_That
04-08-2007, 02:11 AM
I haven't heard all of St. Anger, but the ones i've heard aren't as bad as people are making out. I find the ones i've heard to be quite enjoyable.

Nothing beats Astronomy, Battery or Sanitarium, though.

Manic Subsidal Boy
04-08-2007, 05:02 AM
Nothing beats Astronomy, Battery or Sanitarium, though.

Haha, Shit *coff* Really.

It's not a great but I don't think it ever was going to be. It was rushed, they had a camera crew following them round. They had a few studio changes. They had Bob Fucking Rock on bass cause Newstead [the cunt] left. Lars hateing everyone. Hetfield in rehab.

How it was good: Lars on the drums, very agressive. St. Anger's 4 note riff. It would had been awesome to have more lead riffs like it "One" and "Battery". And if Hetfields didn't sound like a pussy: "Keep searching, keep on searching, this search goes on".

Lyrically and vocally it was absolutely horrible.

Jakebert
04-08-2007, 07:16 AM
How is Newstead a cunt for leaving a band full of douchebags?

And Lars' drumming sucks, especially on St. Anger. He has no variation as a drummer at all, and all he knows is "hit the drums really hard", which makes a lot of songs sound like crap because the drumming doesn't fit and is off in it's own world somewhere.

And on that last point, all Metallica albums suck lyrically and vocally.

Yatesy
04-08-2007, 02:28 PM
I heard the whole album and didn't enjoy it at all. There's nothing appealing about the songs whatsoever, the tribute is a lot better than the album.

Forza
04-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I found St. Anger (the song) only a fair bit enjoyable. When you've heard it you've heard the whole album. Repetitive shit.

zacsta
04-08-2007, 04:45 PM
okay, i can fully understand why some of you hate it, its just i dont mind those things and think its a good album. maybe not a good metallica album but i still like it as an album. and yeh i agree with you that the lyrics are really weak, cos yeh the verse and choruses dont really mean anything but i like the music.

Ninty Man
04-08-2007, 05:43 PM
okay, i can fully understand why some of you hate it, its just i dont mind those things and think its a good album. maybe not a good metallica album but i still like it as an album. and yeh i agree with you that the lyrics are really weak, cos yeh the verse and choruses dont really mean anything but i like the music.

Good :rolleyes:

Venom Symbiote
04-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Aside from Rob "The Bass-Playing Gorilla" Trujillo, there is absolutely nothing good about that album whatsoever.

Hell, even the tour was lame as fuck. Well, Hetfield yelled something encouraging and vulgar at me when I was slammed in the pit by some bald biker twat, that was pretty rad, but no, overall a dicky, dicky era for the band. Dicky I say!

Tin-can drums can go suck off an ostrich. Good one, Lars. Great production decision!

Christ Almighty, Lars is such a walking talking leprosy-ridden ballsack. Euro filth.

DeAtHsTaR
04-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Aside from Rob "The Bass-Playing Gorilla" Trujillo, there is absolutely nothing good about that album whatsoever.

Shows how much you know, Rob didn't even play on the album, Bob Rock recorded the bass parts.

offy
04-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I think many people hate it, just because it doesn't sound like Metallica anymore.
In my opinion it cannot compare to their older stuff, but it's still good metal music. If you like it, don't mind others trying to badmouth it!

For some reason, however, I'm not looking forward to the release of their new album at all...it's not that I expect it to sound bad, nor good. I just don't have any kind of expectation which makes it kind of boring.

Venom Symbiote
04-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Shows how much you know, Rob didn't even play on the album, Bob Rock recorded the bass parts.

No shit, dude. I worded it vaguely, bad choice, but I was referring to him on tour. He's so much better technically than Newsted. And hell, I like Newsted.

As for "good metal music": lies. It's Me-freakin'-tallic-freakin'-ca trying to sound like a lowly garage band. It's bullshit, the music's ridiculously funny/bad, and it was just a total step back for them from the good stuff they were producing with Load/Reload.

zacsta
04-12-2007, 11:39 PM
well i hired "some kind of monster" and it explains alot about the album, as someone else said, it was basically destined to be bad with newsteads departure, conflict between lars and james, and also james in rehab and that psychologist hanging around.
also the lyrics are complete crap cos instead of the usual routine, they'd have sessions where they would all just sit around and write random lyrics, and then share them and watever they thought sounded cool they stuck in a song. which basically explains the broken up and ill-fitting lyrics

XYlophonetreeZ
04-13-2007, 12:10 AM
"The Unforgiven" is good, but then they went and recorded the clusterfuck known as "The Unforgiven II." But I also like "Wherever I May Roam." A lot. And "My Friend of Misery." Those are the only songs from The Black Album, which is the only Metallica album I ever bought, that I still occasionally listen to.

Basically I think they're douchebags like everyone else, think most of their music is shitty, and what I've heard from St. Anger is among the worst music I've ever heard. But I've got to give them the occasional credit where it's due. Their cover of "Turn the Page" has got to be one of the best rock covers of all time. "No Leaf Clover" was a neat experiment, and, I think, a successful one. And I actually really like "I Disappear" despite its general unpopularity among everyone.

But yeah, "Wherever I May Roam" is about as good as Metallica gets in my book.

Manic Subsidal Boy
04-13-2007, 03:49 AM
How is Newstead a cunt for leaving a band full of douchebags?

And Lars' drumming sucks, especially on St. Anger. He has no variation as a drummer at all, and all he knows is "hit the drums really hard", which makes a lot of songs sound like crap because the drumming doesn't fit and is off in it's own world somewhere.

And on that last point, all Metallica albums suck lyrically and vocally.

James may be a douche but Lars and Kirk aren't fucking douche bags..

Thanks for mentioning that.

All About Eve
04-13-2007, 04:09 AM
I judged the quality of an album based on its single.
Regardless of album, this is just wrong. Especially for metal.

Venom Symbiote
04-13-2007, 05:42 AM
James may be a douche but Lars and Kirk aren't fucking douche bags...

Err...Lars is the BIGGEST douchebag.

And I don't even mean in Metallica, I mean basically in humanity as a whole. The guy's just a total cockbucket.

H1T_That
04-14-2007, 02:55 AM
Err...Lars is the BIGGEST douchebag.

And I don't even mean in Metallica, I mean basically in humanity as a whole. The guy's just a total cockbucket.

For the second time today, i agree.

Stranger With Candy
04-14-2007, 04:31 AM
No one likes Lars.