PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on French youth

Mota Boy
04-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Check it out. (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2052230,00.html)

It's an incredibly depressing take on France, describing a situation where the youth are migrating away en masse, often to London and New York, largely because they have been locked out of the power system, both politically and economically (which feed off of each other in a vicious cycle). In the case of minority groups, rampant, institutionalized racism is often cited as a factor. It paints an image of Paris losing ground in a unified Europe, on its way to becoming a regional power. It's really fucking depressing. I'm actually sad now.

HornyPope
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
In my limited experience, Western europe in general is a stagnant place.

It gets seldom mentioned but real estate is a big development killer. How much are apartments in a real european city (over 0.75 mil pop.)? Half a mill for one bedroom? Jobs or no job, young people can't afford that, not if their rent is also shit expensive.

sKratch
04-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Having just come back from Poland, I've heard that a massive amount of kids finishing college are leaving the country for better paying jobs. Europe is changing, eh?

Mota Boy
04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Having just come back from Poland, I've heard that a massive amount of kids finishing college are leaving the country for better paying jobs.From Poland? You have to go to college there to become a plumber?

sKratch
04-09-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't get it.

(To clarify, this is simply a self-pwn Polak joke)

Duskygrin
04-14-2007, 12:13 PM
No, you can rent a place in Paris, if only a garret. You can't buy anything though. I'll be having to apply for a job soon & I'm a bit torn... I wouldn't want to leave France, so I'd rather stay in Paris, but if things deteriorate too badly I'll move to London I suppose. & I've no clue who I'm voting for for the upcoming elections. I gave my proxy to my mother but haven't plumped for a candidate yet.

That article wasn't that depressive... it's realistic, mostly. A bit radical in its views, though. But France has become a polarized, racist & anti-semitic country. The cops are more bastardized than the bloody mafia. They rape & torture their preys. Give them a wide berth should you fall in their hands. Paris's nightlife hasn't changed much though.

*sings* Comme un con de Parisien, j'attends mon chèque de fin de mois... j'y pense & puis j'oublie... c'est la vie, c'est la vie.

Paris will always be Paris. *shrugs* it's not a measly little article that'll change that.