PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating recording hiss.

T-6005
04-08-2007, 10:47 PM
So there's some sort of hiss, buzz, or white noise in the background of everything I'm getting at the moment, and it's absolutely unacceptable for me to have it.

Any suggestions for how to get rid of it? Quick fixes would be best.

coke_a_holic
04-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Take the rattlesnake out of your recording studio?

All About Eve
04-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Take the rattlesnake out of your recording studio?
I was going to suggest that :(

My speakers or mics buzz if my cell phone's on and near them, so it could be interference of some sort.

neocon58
04-09-2007, 01:01 AM
What kind of recording gear/software are you using? I use an Omega interface with Cubase LE and it works pretty well (http://www.myspace.com/picketfencemusic).

With the combination of a half decent input device/mic preamps in the omega, and all the audio capabilities of cubase, you can polish almost any recording into a great, half decent demo sort of thing. It really just comes down to what you're using, and then, once you've got the new gear, learning how to use it. I might be able to give you some tips to work with your current gear tho. Mind you I'm not super experienced myself.

Homer
04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
You can just use a program like Audacity and there's an option to remove hisses and cracks. Audacity's free too.

Sinister
04-12-2007, 08:25 AM
I know on my french version of GarageBand there's an option called "porte de bruit" which cuts off everything below a certain volume. "Noisegate" on english programs, I think.

Little_Miss_1565
04-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Use a good mic and good cords, and make sure you're in an appropriate environment to record (hiss is caused by ventilation units as well as shoddy equipment.).

T-6005
04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
I have a decent microphone - I think I might upgrade my cords eventually. Good ones are rather pricey.

I found that a bit of reverb helped immensely, although it took a little away from the acoustic quality I really wanted to preserve.

Brines
04-12-2007, 04:07 PM
You can just use a program like Audacity and there's an option to remove hisses and cracks. Audacity's free too.

That's what I do. It's called reduce noise or something. Worked well for me.

DexterWannabe
04-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Looic Express is the shit

Little_Miss_1565
04-13-2007, 01:59 PM
I have a decent microphone - I think I might upgrade my cords eventually. Good ones are rather pricey.

I found that a bit of reverb helped immensely, although it took a little away from the acoustic quality I really wanted to preserve.

Where were you trying to record? You have to really be able to control the environment to mic anything.

T-6005
04-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't record anywhere other than my room. When I record at my parents', it's far easier to cut buzz, but in my dorm room (which is where I'm doing it now), it's impossible for me to eliminate it completely.