PDA

View Full Version : The greatest tragedy of network TV...

Mota Boy
04-08-2007, 11:56 PM
...is when it fails to recognize greatness. When excellent shows like Arrested Development and Sports Night are killed before their time. If great shows get short runs, then it stands to reason that there are even greater shows that never made it past the pilot stage due to shortsighted TV execs. In short, the best TV shows ever are the ones that haven't been made. Through the magic of the internet, I discovered one of these such shows: Heat Vision and Jack. The show, produced by Ben Stiller and starring Jack Black and Owen Wilson, is the story of the constant series of adventures by a renegade, super-intelligent astronaut and his talking motorcycle.

It would've been the best show ever produced on TV in any language. Behold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lWgXDOAJ5s).

T-6005
04-09-2007, 12:35 AM
I only discovered Arrested Development after it ended, so can't be properly outraged at its demise.

But I am, a little bit. Watching this now - I don't really like Ben Stiller, and Jack Black can be annoying, but I enjoy Owen Wilson.

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 03:04 AM
I can't believe this wasn't aired!

Also Arrested Development is one of the greatest TV shows ever made.
After The Simpsons of course.

wheelchairman
04-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Ed was a truly entertaining show to watch too. :(

mrconeman
04-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Firefly 2002 - 2002
Nevar 4get :( :( :(

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2007, 07:48 AM
When I skimmed through the first post I misread "Sports Night" as "Night Court", and then started humming the theme from "Night Court".

It was one of the better things I've ever done and I'm grateful.

FrancoDaHui
04-09-2007, 07:48 AM
crappy but awesome

"i know everythiiiing!!!" hahahaha what a dork

Jakebert
04-09-2007, 07:50 AM
I think Andy Richter Controls the Universe probably had the highest joke to LOL ratio I've ever seen, which makes it all the lamer that it hasn't come out on DVD yet.

Endymion
04-09-2007, 09:48 AM
I think Andy Richter Controls the Universe probably had the highest joke to LOL ratio I've ever seen, which makes it all the lamer that it hasn't come out on DVD yet.

yes, it was definitely up there.

also, clone high? :(

let us not forget lookwell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBQ3HbB0c8Y)!

Nina
04-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Firefly 2002 - 2002
Nevar 4get :( :( :(

Srsly. It breaks my heart every goddamn time I think about it. Such an amazing show it was.

Llamas
04-09-2007, 09:54 AM
I still need to watch Firefly... primarily because it was made by Joss Whedon... maybe it's on one of those tv links...

sKratch
04-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Ah I remember when I heard about Heat Vision and Jack... I'll have to check it out when I get back to school later today.

Discuss:
Is it better to drop a good show too early, or drill it into the ground past its prime? cf. Stargate SG-1.

I haven't watched Firefly, but I did recently get into Battlestar Galactica and the season 3 finale shit all over my brain.

Nina
04-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Discuss:
Is it better to drop a good show too early, or drill it into the ground past its prime?

definitely NOT the latter. I always have the show LOST in mind when I think about that stuff. Third season hasnt aired here yet but I heard that many are fed up with how the show is proceeding from third season on. Fox is probably putting an "end" to it after the fourth season. I think that's a good decision. And the questions better be answered dammit.

Llamas
04-09-2007, 10:00 AM
definitely NOT the latter. I always have the show LOST in mind when I think about that stuff. Third season hasnt aired here yet but I heard that many are fed up with how the show is proceeding from third season on. Fox is probably putting an "end" to it after the fourth season. I think that's a good decision. And the questions better be answered dammit.

Actually, the creators have 5 seasons planned. They hope the show will go 5 seasons, no more, no less. It sounds right now that ABC will either have it go 4 or 5. 5 seems more likely right now, especially since the newer episodes of season 3 are bringing the ratings back up. The season just had a rough start.

Nina
04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Well I heard something different in a recent interview (end feb). The actor said that it's almost certain that there will only be 4 seasons.
Either way, it doesnt matter. I like the idea of the show having an actual ending (not like x-files).

Llamas
04-09-2007, 10:08 AM
I never watched X-Files. How did it end?

edit: I was wrong... I don't know why I thought it was to be 5 seasons. It is to be four seasons.

- When asked about how many seasons we can expect from the show, they said it's hard to estimate that because the show will continue as long as ABC wants it to. It was discussed originally that the show may only run four to five seasons then have a movie to wrap it all up, but if the show is still going strong in five seasons the network execs may just keep on trucking along. They expressed their desire for it to end after season four ("if everyone here could just stop watching after season 4, then buy the season 4 DVDs that would be great"). So it's hard to say how many more seasons of Lost there may be.

mrconeman
04-09-2007, 10:41 AM
I still need to watch Firefly... primarily because it was made by Joss Whedon... maybe it's on one of those tv links...
I think you should (and then watch Serenity when you're done). Especially being a fan of Joss, it's totally a new thing (at the time of course) for him to have done, but at the same time its easily identifiable as one of his shows.

I haven't watched Firefly, but I did recently get into Battlestar Galactica and the season 3 finale shit all over my brain.
Watch Firefly/Serenity. And the season 3 finale for Battlestar was just a mass of "wtf?". In a good way, kind of.

sKratch
04-09-2007, 10:44 AM
*cuts self because we have to wait till next fall/winter for season 4*
I'm tempted to make a BSG thread to discuss thoughts on what the fuck is going on...

Jebus
04-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Discuss:
Is it better to drop a good show too early, or drill it into the ground past its prime? cf. Stargate SG-1.

Stargate without Jack O'neal make me sad.

What I hate about Stargate in the later seasons is that they pretty much know everything there is to know in the universe. They even know what happens after you die for god's sake. There's just no mystery to anything more. With the exception of them never showing the furlings. =(

Well, at least Atlantis hasn't gotten boring for me yet. There's also going to be a new spin off stargate after the two movies are released if you haven't heard.

and holy shit! Starbuck! Can't wait for season 4.

EDIT: missed the I after what and wrote I instead of is after seasons.

mrconeman
04-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm tempted to make a BSG thread to discuss thoughts on what the fuck is going on...
I read that today. January, FUCK.

Endymion
04-09-2007, 10:47 AM

you have to wait until '08.

:(

sKratch
04-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Stargate without Jack O'neal make me sad.

What I hate about Stargate in the later seasons is that they pretty much know everything there is to know in the universe. They even know what happens after you die for god's sake. There's just no mystery to anything more. With the exception of them never showing the furlings. =(

Well, at least Atlantis hasn't gotten boring for me yet. There's also going to be a new spin off stargate after the two movies are released if you haven't heard.

and holy shit! Starbuck! Can't wait for season 4.

Yeah I just thought to myself today that Stargate without O'Neal would be like TNG without picard. Only the former actually happened...
I read somewhere, however, that Carter will be in Atlantis permanently.
For better or for worse, the Ori story arc will not end during season 10, but rather, will carry over into the films. As far as I'm concerned, they are far too powerful to defeat in the time alloted by the final 10 episodes of season 10.

As far as BSG goes...

****SPOILER ALERT****
I knew Starbuck was a cylon as soon as they killed her off because she was way too important a character to just kill like that. However, the Chief, Tigh, Anderson, and what's-her-face being cylons really threw me off. I have some problems with that, especially what's-her-face, but I'm just heading out to drive back to school, so more on that later...

Jebus
04-09-2007, 10:58 AM
For better or for worse, the Ori story arc will not end during season 10, but rather, will carry over into the films. As far as I'm concerned, they are far too powerful to defeat in the time alloted by the final 10 episodes of season 10.
wait, you haven't seen the final 10 episodes yet? They started airing early in Canada a few months back. You could find them online. Same goes for Atlantis.

ZagmenO
04-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Arrested Development was an overrated & crappy show. I'm glad it's gone now. But if it makes anyone feel better, it's being rerun on G4.

...Damn you G4.

Mota Boy
04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Discuss:
Is it better to drop a good show too early, or drill it into the ground past its prime? cf. Stargate SG-1.I'd say keep it on, as that gives it a chance to churn out as many high-quality episodes as possible.

Ideally, however, I'd like shows to be serials rather than series, with a definitive story arc that is designed to play out over a set amount of episodes.

Llamas
04-09-2007, 11:44 AM
I just watched the link you posted originally. Awesome. That's random done well. Wish it would have aired.

killer_queen
04-09-2007, 12:59 PM

It's so great to not feeling your pain. They started to show it again on the TV. But I still cannot understand why they always cancel the really good ones. Dead Like Me, for example. It was the best show I've ever seen. If I had to make a TV show I'd do the same thing.

Anyway, I've never seen Arrested Development but people say I'd enjoy if I like Curb Your Enthusiasm.

And anything with Owen Wilson makes me sick. I hate that guy.

Llamas
05-07-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm bumping this thread... because today I came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvzvBJUAI8

The underlying plot is sort of cheesy (the way it's introduced is definitely), but it was the unaired pilot, and obviously things are changed and improved before airing... I thought it was better than a LOT of what does hit the air... plus, there is a pretty decent cast line up.. Rachel Leigh Cook, the guy who played Boone on Lost, and two old characters from Buffy (Kendra and Jesse). I liked it quite a bit and think I could've gotten into it had it actually aired... stupid network stations. :(