PDA

View Full Version : Good Movies

goonadie1day
04-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Ok so i have ran out of movies to watch. Do you guys have any suggestions on good ones?

I got done watchin Children of Men earlier, it was a pretty original movie, i loved it.

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
The departed!

Just download it to see it again.
A gangster movie from the guy who made Goodfellas.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I was just gonna say that you should check out The Departed. It's one of the better movies I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot.

What kind of movies are you looking for, generally? New, old, comedy, horror, anything in particular? Incidentally, you should check out the "last movie i saw" thread for suggestions and stuff; it might be helpful.

mrconeman
04-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Yes. Be more specific and we can help you to your tastes.
Although as The Departed is mentioned, watch Goodfellas.

(I haven't seen the Departed :(:()

Paint_It_Black
04-09-2007, 01:32 PM
The Departed doesn't live up to the hype. It's good, and certainly worth watching. But it's not a great.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Blasphemy!

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 01:35 PM
I just remembered that I haven't seen whole Departed cause when I saw it in the cinema I was sick missed about 20-25 minutes halfway through the movie.

Vera
04-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Fuck The Departed. Watch Infernal Affairs instead.

Edit: And the first one to cry out "But that's liek subtitled!111" wins Retard of the Month.

goonadie1day
04-09-2007, 01:47 PM
I own The Departed... i like all kinds of movies. Horror and Gangster movies are great... but i also like suspense/action movies. :D

ZagmenO
04-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Mystery Men=Greatest movie of all time.

Meiko
04-09-2007, 01:50 PM
You should check the "last movie i saw" thread. There, you can read reviews people had written about films and make a choice. There are LOTS of new and old movies, not only the last releases on theaters.
Or, you could check some sites like Amazon and check what's new in the Movies section.

mrconeman
04-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Seeing as you seem open to just about anything, The Crow is a compulsory film to watch.
srsly.
Also, no one ever seems to have heard of it, but the single greatest British comedy movie of all time, is Withnail & I.

Endymion
04-09-2007, 01:57 PM
the city of lost children is pretty good. mulholland dr. is one of my all-time favorites. oh, and pootie tang.

killer_queen
04-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Running with Scissors. (read the book too)

You should be more specific, though. If you like romantic comedies or any kind of shitty movies I've got a lot more to recommend.

Sin Studly
04-09-2007, 02:04 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/userpics/poster_proposition.jpg

This is the only movie worth watching, ever.

edit ;

Australian trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcmXPkzJyks)

International trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7V-CW_SUos)

Retard-being-whipped-to-death scene. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCJCWKHiUcc)

Cop-getting-his-face-bootstomped-into-a-pancake scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVFVjpV92Ug)

And a fanmade music vid with angsty music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDzWvY6KABs)

goonadie1day
04-09-2007, 02:06 PM
the city of lost children is pretty good. mulholland dr. is one of my all-time favorites. oh, and pootie tang.

I saw Pootie Tang on HBO! I was looking, you know the nothing on so lets scroll, and saw that and was like 'What in the name of GOD?'... but i hated it...

Running with Scissors. (read the book too)

You should be more specific, though. If you like romantic comedies or any kind of shitty movies I've got a lot more to recommend.

I guess im a jack of all trades. I really guess my favorite kind of movie is one you have to think about. I loved running with scissors, have not read the book, but now i shall!

Endymion
04-09-2007, 02:07 PM
i agree with the above. i gave a standing ovation in the theater when the retard was whipped to death's door.

Endymion
04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
I saw Pootie Tang on HBO! I was looking, you know the nothing on so lets scroll, and saw that and was like 'What in the name of GOD?'... but i hated it...

I guess im a jack of all trades. I really guess my favorite kind of movie is one you have to think about. I loved running with scissors, have not read the book, but now i shall!

no, you have terrible taste in film and could not recognise sarcasm if it slithered up your sandy, chlamydia-ridden vagina.

Sin Studly
04-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I preferred when the spearchucker took a Winchester round to the face and his head exploded like a ripe watermelon, but the retard getting whipped to death was damn awesome too.

edit ; And who could forget the Rule Britannia genocide scene?

Endymion
04-09-2007, 02:15 PM
i also took great revelry when they shot the fuck out of the brit and then made him watch as they raped his wife, all over christmas dinner.

Sin Studly
04-09-2007, 02:19 PM
I like when all the chained-up niggers start howling while Jacko described the "man changed to dog". That was fucking creepy.

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Yo, so you should watch movies from the Film Noir genre - even though it's not necessarily a genre.

If that's not your style, you should watch Documentaries like Bowling for Columbine. That's a great movie.

And the greatest movie of all time: Nosferatu.

Llamas
04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
If that's not your style, you should watch Documentaries like Bowling for Columbine. That's a great movie.
Nobody should have to watch that.

And the greatest movie of all time: Nosferatu.
I was going to post a "oh hell god FUCKING YES", but then I thought I should ask if you mean the Murnau version, or the Herzog version?

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
The German Expressionist one that was made in 1921. Directed by F. W. Murnau.

mrconeman
04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Also, no one ever seems to have heard of it, but the single greatest British comedy movie of all time, is Withnail & I.

In saying that what I meant was "the single greatest comedy movie of all time. Ever."

goonadie1day
04-09-2007, 02:46 PM
In saying that what I meant was "the single greatest comedy movie of all time. Ever."

I will have to check that out!

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 02:49 PM
The German Expressionist one that was made in 1921. Directed by F. W. Murnau.

Mine's better.

Llamas
04-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Herzog's > Murnau's.

Have you seen Herzog's? One of the three films I wrote my degree thesis on was his Nosferatu. Fuckin' amazing.

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 02:52 PM
No, i haven't seen it. Is it really better? I don't believe that!

Llamas
04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
No, i haven't seen it. Is it really better? I don't believe that!

I think it was much more famous... he really did a number with it. He believed Murnau's version was great, but that it could be better with the technologies of sound. The way he used music in the film is just phenomenal. I'd seriously check it out.

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, i loved the first one because of the fact that it had no sound. I'll see it just to see if it's better.

Llamas
04-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Why did that make you love it? There are a lot of films that are silent.

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Why did that make you love it? There are a lot of films that are silent.

I love silent films though. Most of the ones i've watched that are silent, i have loved. I don't know. It seemed like it was scarier; you know with the organ or whatever that was playing behind it. I would like seeing it in sound though.

Llamas
04-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Ah, I see. No, the sound is used REALLY well in Herzog's film.

Speaking of old German films, have you seen M?

nieh
04-09-2007, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=Endymion;992825mulholland dr. is one of my all-time favorites.[/QUOTE]

I actually bought that like a month ago but haven't watched it yet. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 03:18 PM
The remake, or the original?

The original was awesome. I love the crime (underbelly) of society that movie portrays. I loveee it.t.34t.t

"Who knows what it's like to be me?" - I don't know why but this line made me be like "oh god, yes!!!"

goonadie1day
04-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Did anyone else find the documentary "High Cost of Low Prices" (the Wal-Mart one... is that the title?) kind of pointless?

They just built a new (not even full-sized) Wal-Mart Supercenter in Nebraska City. It makes me angry it's not full-sized but the other little grocery stores around here cost you an arm and a leg. o.o What is your opinion of the movie (is you have seen it) and Wal-Mart?

Llamas
04-09-2007, 03:24 PM
The remake, or the original?

The original was awesome. I love the crime (underbelly) of society that movie portrays. I loveee it.t.34t.t

"Who knows what it's like to be me?" - I don't know why but this line made me be like "oh god, yes!!!"

I didn't know there was a remake. I've only seen the original. One of my favorites. (Thanks to RC for telling me about it!)

Did anyone else find the documentary "High Cost of Low Prices" (the Wal-Mart one... is that the title?) kind of pointless?

They just built a new (not even full-sized) Wal-Mart Supercenter in Nebraska City. It makes me angry it's not full-sized but the other little grocery stores around here cost you an arm and a leg. o.o What is your opinion of the movie (is you have seen it) and Wal-Mart?

Haven't seen it, but I'd like to. I have personal shit with Wal-Mart from my first year of University. I hate that store passionately because of it.

goonadie1day
04-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Haven't seen it, but I'd like to. I have personal shit with Wal-Mart from my first year of University. I hate that store passionately because of it.

Oh... tell me more. I can't afford to spen 7.99 for a 24 pack of soda... when i can get it at wal-mart for less that 5.00!

I can give you a link to watch the movie!

EDIT: This is where i watched it! (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3836296181471292925&q=wal-mart+high+cost+of+low+prices&hl=en)

Llamas
04-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks .

goonadie1day
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM
You're Welcome.

Also... i said this in my first post... but Children Of Men (http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/4/878) is one of the best movies i have seen in a long time!

Stranger With Candy
04-09-2007, 03:48 PM
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Its the best cowboy movie ever.
Other than that you should watch Shaun of the Dead, Die Hard and Sin City.

Sin Studly
04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Its the best cowboy movie ever.

The Proposition, Tombstone, and Once Apon a Time in the West are all better.

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
If you are looking for something brutal, I mean rly brutal.

Check out "Passion of the Christ".

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 05:40 PM
You think that's brutal?

Pfffft.

Another good movie is the original Psycho.

I didn't know there was a remake. I've only seen the original. One of my favorites. (Thanks to RC for telling me about it!)

Yeah, it's an excellent movie. The remake wasn't that great, though. I loved the plot.

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Why wouldn't I think that's brutal??

Come on, I heard christian people have died from heart attacks watching it for "Christs" sake.

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
No. You heard old Christian people die of a heart attack. It was their time.

That movie was not brutal. More like overplayed.

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 05:50 PM
That movie was not brutal. More like overplayed.

Sure it was at some points, but if you're talking about when he was being punished there were no way he couldn't overplay it.

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Sure it was at some points, but if you're talking about when he was being punished there were no way he couldn't overplay it.

Well, after seeing countless Jesus movies, it really did no effect on me whatsoever.

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Well it was the first and only Jesus movie I've ever seen so I guess I have no say in this.

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 05:56 PM
In that case, yes: it is sorta brutal.

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 05:57 PM
You made my point.;)

Sin Studly
04-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Passion of the Christ is very brutal. It's also a shitty movie.

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 06:04 PM
So just wondering while we're talking about a Mel Gibson movie.

Is Apyticalopto (Or something) any good??

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Mel Gibson's movies are never good.

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 06:07 PM
So you've seen it or just assuming??

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Seen it: Regretted it.

But if you're into those kinds of movies, go for it.

Grabbal
04-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Well I really have no idea what kind of movie it is, but I definantly won't see it now that it sounds so sucky.

It'll probably be another one of those movies I download anyway.

WebDudette
04-09-2007, 06:13 PM
The Departed doesn't live up to the hype. It's good, and certainly worth watching. But it's not a great.

I completely agree, great movie, but not as good as everyone claims. Same goes for 300.

Good movies I have seen recently are:
the Chumscrubber
Pursuit of Happiness
Little Miss Sunshine
the Prestige

Lodat225
04-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Those are all good, except for Little Miss Sunshine. That movie was baaad.

HeadAroundU
04-09-2007, 06:29 PM
The departed!

The Departed.

I agree with you, uncle Pib, except maybe it's not worth watching. :p

I almost fell asleep while watching it. It's a never-ending boredom. 2 and half hours. Jesus christ. 1 and half would be enough.

Llamas
04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
I don't know why, but I expected the walmart movie to not blow this much.

goonadie1day
04-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Another good movie is the original Psycho.

That is an amazing movie, i love it.

If you are looking for something brutal, I mean rly brutal.

Check out "Passion of the Christ".

Our town banned that movie. The catholics own everything here... and they took such high offense they told the movie stores and the theater that if they showed it or carried it, that they would lose all the catholics business. Mind you the catholics make up 99.9% of the population here. :(

Never had an urge to see it... Mel Gibson = yucky.

Passion of the Christ is very brutal. It's also a shitty movie.

:D i'll take your word for it.

So just wondering while we're talking about a Mel Gibson movie.

Is Apyticalopto (Or something) any good??

Again, Mel Gibson is ICKY... i hate his movies! I was dragged to the movies by my then boyfriend, needless to say, he is an idiot, and chooses shitty movies.

I completely agree, great movie, but not as good as everyone claims. Same goes for 300.

Good movies I have seen recently are:
the Chumscrubber
Pursuit of Happiness
Little Miss Sunshine
the Prestige

Seen them all but Chumscrubber, what is this movie about?

I don't know why, but I expected the walmart movie to not blow this much.

Yea... i think i warned you it blew. I had to watch it because i am on student council, and we all had to sit in on the city council hearings about Wal-Mart and the effects it would have. Unbelievable stupid and pointless... it doesn't even really get the point across!

BTW- Why do you hate Wal-Mart... i want to hear this story!

0r4ng3
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
No one has mentioned a certain movie involving a certain kind of reptile on board a certain kind of transporting vessel?

Ah, who am I kidding, that movie wasn't that great.

Sin Studly
04-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Never had an urge to see it... Mel Gibson = yucky.

Again, Mel Gibson is ICKY... i hate his movies!

I won't stand for this outrageous blasphemy against the One They Call Max.

Paint_It_Black
04-09-2007, 11:38 PM

I love the dialogue and the performances. Beyond that I have many issues with it. If you saw it with subtitles or dubbed I could understand liking it less than I did.

You're Welcome.

Look at the bitch conform. That didn't take long now did it?

Very true.

I won't stand for this outrageous blasphemy against the One They Call Max.

Why the fuck are you speaking to it? In fact there's far too much civility being directed it's way.

Vera
04-10-2007, 03:38 AM
What issues did you have with TD's plot, PiB?

I will never stop promoting Infernal Affairs above TD because a) it pisses me off that the remake gets more praise than the original and b) people actually think The Departed is totally original and whoooaaa amazing. I'm sure it's good - but it's not original.

The changes they made to IA seem really sucky. They made two female characters into one (WTF) and Marky Mark's character didn't even exist in IA. Plus IA had an uncompromising ending and Buddhist symbolism and all this badass stuff that makes it intense and worth watching more than once.

Grabbal
04-10-2007, 03:55 AM

I havent't seen 300 yet, but almost everyone I know have and they're acting like it's the best fucking movie ever. The MSN nicknames are all "300 <3" and "300 FTW".

These nicknames were also around when "Snakes on a plane" came out and for me that movie sucked hard!

killer_queen
04-10-2007, 04:59 AM
Stopstopstopstop it! Only I call him uncle.

Lupin
04-10-2007, 05:43 AM
Amelie, The Big Lebowski, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas....Bad Religion (that live dvd thing!)....Requiem For A Dream (but someone told me to put that), Trees Lounge (Steve Buscemis' film, and its pretty good)
________
MAGIC FLIGHT LAUNCH BOX (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/magic-flight-launch-box)

w3s
04-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Star Wars is the greatest film of all time ..

mrconeman
04-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Star Wars is the greatest film of all time ..

There's 6 of them.

Lupin: The Big Lebowski?
YES.

Lupin
04-10-2007, 06:32 AM
heh, "the dude abides..."

as for the Star wars thingie....3,4,5 maybe 6. Burn the second one.
________
Marijuana Vaporizers (http://weedvaporizers.org/)

ninthlayer
04-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Requiem For A Dream (but someone told me to put that)
Someone has exceedingly horrible taste in cinema.

Multi-genre list of favorites:

Blade Runner
the Road Warrior
Big Trouble in Little China
Saved!
the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
the Professional
Taxi Driver
Grosse Pointe Blank
Vanilla Sky
InterMission
Death to Smoochy
the Adventures of Ford Fairlane
Poltergeist
the Devil's Advocate
Scent of a Woman

I lost my copy of Death to Smoochy and it's killing me inside. The only film of the above that isn't necessarily a must see is the Adventures of Ford Fairlane, but I wouldn't want to live my life without it.

killer_queen
04-10-2007, 06:54 AM
omg, it's SO great to see someone who loves Death to Smoochy. <3

Harnum
04-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Heh, I'm not a big movie watcher so this thread benefits me also. I only like horror/comedy shit. My favorite was the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Bland much?

JoY
04-10-2007, 07:45 AM
favorites on mine;

-Amelie
-Requiem for a Dream
-Girl, Interrupted
-la Vita e Bella
-the Gladiator
-Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
-Matchstick Men

ones I recently saw & liked;

-Transylvania
-Blood Diamond

& I'm a sucker for Sean Connery & Johnny Depp.

JohnnyNemesis
04-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Death to Smoochy is so fucking twisted + win.

JoY
04-10-2007, 07:51 AM
sounds & looks like something I'd want to see!

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 08:14 AM
I was shocked at how good DiCaprio's Rhodesian accent was.

Whiplash
04-10-2007, 08:17 AM
I like:

Snatch
we were soldiers
enemy at the gates
demolition man

and someothers but i can't think of them.

JoY
04-10-2007, 08:45 AM
I was shocked at how good DiCaprio's Rhodesian accent was.

me too. it wasn't superperfect through the entire movie, but it was definitely pretty fucking good.

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 08:48 AM
True, sometimes it was like he couldn't remember if he was Rhodesian or Afrikaaner. But it was good enough.

JoY
04-10-2007, 08:54 AM
that's like the difference between Zimbabwe & South Africa. uhh, unless you mean something else. but that'd be close enough.

I'd say just his own pronounciation of words slipped through every now & then.

killer_queen
04-10-2007, 09:08 AM
enemy at the gates

I decided to watch that movie because Fiennes was in it and he's beyond hawt but then I couldn't watch all of it because he's such a terrible actor. I don't like war movies anyway. He was pretty good at Running with Scissors, though.

Anyways, there's an old movie called Blowup. It's based on a Julio CortŠzar story. It's a little strange movie but some people I know just loved it.

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 09:11 AM
ZIMBABWE??? Don't you be fucking saying Zimbabwe around me. It's fucking Rhodesia. I don't recognise the sovreignty of so-called "Zimbabwe".

Anyways, it's the difference between the Anglo and Boer colonists' accents, not necessarily the difference between the two nations. Two very distinct accents. It's not close enough.

Whiplash
04-10-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm watching crank now, i heard it was a good movie.

Grabbal
04-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Crank was an entertaining movie.

T-6005
04-10-2007, 09:21 AM
I actually generally prefer being entertained, even by the humor factor of watching a bad movie, than watching a serious but great movie most of the time. I'm very escapist when it comes to that.

However, every so often I watch a good one. I thought 21 grams, Lord of War and Crash were all fucking great - although the latter wasn't quite as good as the other two.

As for the movies I generally watch that I can come back to, I strongly enjoy Swordfish (maybe because I love the soundtrack to death).

JoY
04-10-2007, 09:52 AM
ZIMBABWE??? Don't you be fucking saying Zimbabwe around me. It's fucking Rhodesia. I don't recognise the sovreignty of so-called "Zimbabwe".

Anyways, it's the difference between the Anglo and Boer colonists' accents, not necessarily the difference between the two nations. Two very distinct accents. It's not close enough.

Zambia, Zimbabwe. say it with me. Zim isn't only internationally recognised as an independent nation from Britain since 1980, they're seperated. always have been by the Zambezi. Southern Rhodesia was a British colony, I don't understand why you'd want to put the British back on their high horse of colonisation. it swings one back in time & not exactly glorious times to be proud of. or maybe that's exactly your intention.

Danny Archer is "Rhodesian", a term that in 1999 was still used, especially by Danny, since it probably still was Rhodesia when he grew up there (& called Rhodesia by the people he hung out with). no matter how geographically close together, South Africa has a typical Boer accent, Zimbabwe a typical Anglo accent. Boer & Cape Afrikaner originally are not synonyms, though now they're used as if they are. the difference between the accents shouldn't very difficult, especially not to me, since we're talking about twisted Dutch.

you're not understanding me correctly anyway. it IS close enough, seeing how many Boer traders settled in Zim & how many white boys in Zim originally came from South Africa.

JohnnyNemesis
04-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I like: Snatch

I'm watching crank now

I know this is unfair and makes me an asshole, but I think after reading these two I have no choice but to despise you.

It's a shame, you seem like a nice guy :(

0r4ng3
04-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I figured that it was a bad idea to mention that I also liked Crank.

I...I just said it, didn't I?

Goddamnit!

Whiplash
04-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I never said i liked crank, I watched about 10 minutes of it.

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I don't understand why you'd want to put the British back on their high horse of colonisation. it swings one back in time & not exactly glorious times to be proud of. or maybe that's exactly your intention.

Yes, it swings one back in time. Back to when Rhodesia, while not perfect, was a fuckload better than it is now.

"According to statistics from the World Health Organization (WHO), Zimbabweans have the shortest life expectancy worldwide, listed as 37 years for men, and 34 years for women."

"The Mugabe administration has been criticized around the world for corruption, suppression of political opposition, mishandling of land reforms, economic mismanagement, and the deteriorating human rights situation in Zimbabwe. According to most analysts his administration's policies have led to economic collapse and massive starvation over the course of the last ten years. Currently, Zimbabwe has the highest inflation rate in the world and is ranked as Africa's worst economic performer."

"At the same time he pursued a "moral campaign" against homosexuals making "unnatural sex acts" illegal with a penalty of up to 10 years in prison. This included the arrest of his predecessor as President of Zimbabwe, Canaan Banana, who was convicted of gay sex offenses."

"In June 2005 the Mugabe administration received unprecedented international criticism, including greater church condemnation than ever before, when over 200,000 people from urban areas were left homeless due to their homes being bulldozed as part of Operation Murambatsvina, a campaign that reminded some people of his Gukurahundi massacres of more than 20,000 innocent civilians in Matabeleland"

"The current Zimbabwean government suppresses freedom of the press and has repeatedly been accused of using the public broadcaster (ZBC) as a propaganda tool.[15] Newspapers critical of the government, such as the Daily News, were forced to close after bombs exploded at their offices[16] and the government refused to renew their license. The British Broadcasting Corporation and CNN have also been banned from filming or reporting from Zimbabwe"

"There have been widespread reports of various civil and political human rights abuses throughout Zimbabwe, in particular against opponents of the government. According to human rights organizations such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch the government of Zimbabwe violates the rights to shelter, food, freedom of movement and residence, freedom of assembly and the protection of the law. There are assaults on the media, the political opposition, civil society activists, and human rights defenders."

Say what you want about White Colonialism and the "White Man's Burden", criticise it for the appalling racism and human rights abuses it brought with it, but don't for a second think that it wasn't the best thing to ever happen to Africa.

it IS close enough, seeing how many Boer traders settled in Zim & how many white boys in Zim originally came from South Africa.

Y'know, the apartheid didn't just apply to blacks and whites. Boers and Anglos kept seperate.

Great Mike
04-10-2007, 10:09 AM
But that's what you want for Africa, right? Why do you defend the colonialism?

Edit: Removed the quotation because it was damn long.

JoY
04-10-2007, 10:22 AM
it'll take some time, but when Mugabe is gone & done with, Zimbabwe will recover one way or another. I know it's a shithole (funnily enough, the chairman of ZANU was called "Sithole". they should've seen it coming), I've been there. but even under Canaan Banana & Mugabe it's been alright, at least a whole fucking lot better than it became. I guess it went downhill fast from 1987. it'll work its way up again. it has to. there's no down at this stage.

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Why do you defend the colonialism?

Maybe because I'm a colonial myself?

it'll work its way up again. it has to. there's no down at this stage.

So you're saying British colonialism is a shameful thing because it made nations half-decent, and it's much better now that the country is an absolute shithole that can't possibly get any worse?

Vera
04-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Ricky, Snatch is one of my favourite movies. Guess I'll have to take you off my top 5 people to lose virginity to-list since I now officially repulse you.

Gulsah, you ho, we JUST fangirled Smoochy (& Ed in it) together. How dare you forget? *cries emo tears*

Bella - KKBB is sooo awesome and underappreciated. :D

mrconeman
04-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I too thoroughly enjoy Snatch. :(

endlesst0m
04-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Maybe because I'm a colonial myself?

So you're saying British colonialism is a shameful thing because it made nations half-decent, and it's much better now that the country is an absolute shithole that can't possibly get any worse?

I'm learning about British colonialism in school right now...

That's a good point, I guess it's definatly a positive that when the British colonized African nations, they improved economically and technologically. But then again, somehow it doesn't seem right that the British just take over and force thier culture onto other people. And it's not like they wanted to better the African nations out of kindness and humanity, they were looking to expand thier territory and use up natrual resources. It doesn't seem like it could be a good thing in the long run when people with interests like that colonize your nation. But from what I understand, the nations did improve in some ways due to colonialism. So is it shameful? I dunno, I guess there's advantages and disadvantages, but with what I know, I lean toward "yes".

JohnnyNemesis
04-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Ricky, Snatch is one of my favourite movies.

I too thoroughly enjoy Snatch. :(

DEAD TO ME BOTH OF YOU

*tearz*

Whiplash
04-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Snatch is a good movie, just like pulp fiction is a good movie, some people are going to agree and some are not. but thats life.

F@ BANKZ
04-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Snatch is cool, lock stock is better.
reccomended... Rocky, Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, Rocky V & Rocky Balboa
also reccomended... Battle Royale, City Of God and i dunno, RoboCop. I dont want to go on for too much longer:(

JoY
04-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Snatch is a good movie, just like pulp fiction is a good movie, some people are going to agree and some are not. but thats life.

doesn't everyone agree that PF is pretty awesome to at least some degree?

F@ BANKZ
04-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I liked the casting alot, more so than the film in some respects.

metalcherry
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I guess it depends on your taste,
i like Silent Hill, Clerks 2 and the family guy movie :D
which reminds me - i must watch tonight!

JoY
04-10-2007, 11:28 AM

no, I'm saying now they've got it to themselves, let them figure it out. it's their country, it rightfully belongs to them & now they've claimed it, they will at some point rebuild it. they haven't had the chance for that long to fix it. 20 years to make such a difference? dude, America has 400 years of history & is still stuck in the stone age in some aspects.

Bella - KKBB is sooo awesome and underappreciated. :D

I knoow!!<33

Whiplash
04-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I guess it depends on your taste,
i like Silent Hill, Clerks 2 and the family guy movie :D
which reminds me - i must watch tonight!

I strongly disagree, I had my hopes up for silent hill, But it deeply disapointed me. The storyline is all over the place.

Great Mike
04-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Except for fat people.

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 11:45 AM
no, I'm saying now they've got it to themselves, let them figure it out. it's their country, it rightfully belongs to them & now they've claimed it, they will at some point rebuild it. they haven't had the chance for that long to fix it. 20 years to make such a difference? dude, America has 400 years of history & is still stuck in the stone age in some aspects.

.... What, American history starts at colonialism and Rhodesian history starts at post-colonialism? They've had 200,000 years and when the white man arrived they were still warlike savages with an economy built on war, genocide and slavery. Nobody has ever "fixed" anything in Rhodesia except the colonists, because the Shona and Matabele don't know how to do anything except murder, torture and enslave each other. And now that they've gotten rid of the "horrible white regime" that gave them peace, prosperity, and forty thousand fucking years of progress in the span of a few decades, they're dragging the nation back into what it used to be. Tribal hell.

But that's okay, because it's 'theirs' by rights, yes? Noble savage, and all that. Civilised people should encourage slavery, mass murder and genocide as long as the negroes are doing it to each other, while feeling ashamed of the great things our colonials did simply because they were racist and biased by today's standards?

And on that note ; America is not stuck in the stone age in any aspect whatsoever. I challenge you to name a single aspect in which they are.

Great Mike
04-10-2007, 11:48 AM
In religion they are somewhat medieval.

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 12:02 PM
1. No they're not.
2. Medieval is not the stone age.

I mean, shit, you're putting things like banning gay marriage and restricting abortions up on the same level as genociding the Cathars and razing Novgorod to the ground. And then to get to the stone age part you gotta take that further and compare it to animism, human sacrifice, stoning adulteresses to death, drilling holes in peoples heads whenever they get a fever, etc. It just doesn't fly.

Great Mike
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
1. No they're not.
2. Medieval is not the stone age.

I mean, shit, you're putting things like banning gay marriage and restricting abortions up on the same level as genociding the Cathars and razing Novgorod to the ground. It just doesn't fly.

Do you really expect people to use ...?

endlesst0m
04-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Do you really exprect people to use ...?

Great Mike
04-10-2007, 12:10 PM

(plus 10 fucking characters)

mrconeman
04-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I wish people would use [Decent posting ability] [/Decent posting ability]
:(

Great Mike
04-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I wish people would use [Decent posting ability] [/Decent posting ability]
:(

Would that make a post better?:confused:

Vera
04-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I wish people would use [massive fail] [/massive fail] so I could just stop reading all the fail before it actually happens.

Then again, the "going by username" thing usually works, too.

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 12:15 PM
[kingdom of spain]Comunitat AutÚnoma de Catalunya[/kingdom of spain]

Great Mike
04-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I wish people would use [massive fail] [/massive fail] so I could just stop reading all the fail before it actually happens.

Then again, the "going by username" thing usually works, too.
Offended?:)

[kingdom of spain]Comunitat AutÚnoma de Catalunya[/kingdom of spain]
In fact that made me lol.

PS: I don't get the "going by username" thing. My english is not very good.

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 12:19 PM
She means she prejudges your posts as massive fail and hence doesn't bother to read them.

Great Mike
04-10-2007, 12:23 PM
She means she prejudges your posts as massive fail and hence doesn't bother to read them.

Oh, I see. Is she fat?

JoY
04-10-2007, 01:05 PM
to Justin:
I didn't intend to start any discussion on whatever subject with you at all. I don't feel like it, because your ideas are different from mine & always will be, so I made a lighthearted comment, that was supposed to jokingly wave it away. sorry if I failed at that in your eyes, but I don't give a shit if you think it'd be better if parts of Africa were still colonised & for what reasons you think so.

metalcherry
04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
I strongly disagree, I had my hopes up for silent hill, But it deeply disapointed me. The storyline is all over the place.

I do agree that it was all over the place but even though it did muddle the story up and crapped it out - i did quite like it - i guess no game>movie transittion will ever do the games justice but out of all the game/movies out there, silent hill is probebly my fav at the moment.

i guess we will have to see what they bring out for silent hill 2 out in 2008.
personally i want to see what they do with number 4 - im sure i can sit through 2 more to see how they decide to create The Room. It will be an interesting experience :)

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Bella, your lighthearted dismissive comments are astonishingly long, detailed and persuasive for lighthearted dismissive comments.

it'll take some time, but when Mugabe is gone & done with, Zimbabwe will recover one way or another. I know it's a shithole (funnily enough, the chairman of ZANU was called "Sithole". they should've seen it coming), I've been there. but even under Canaan Banana & Mugabe it's been alright, at least a whole fucking lot better than it became. I guess it went downhill fast from 1987. it'll work its way up again. it has to. there's no down at this stage. I'm saying now they've got it to themselves, let them figure it out. it's their country, it rightfully belongs to them & now they've claimed it, they will at some point rebuild it. they haven't had the chance for that long to fix it. 20 years to make such a difference? dude, America has 400 years of history & is still stuck in the stone age in some aspects.

Paint_It_Black
04-10-2007, 02:04 PM
What issues did you have with TD's plot, PiB?

WARNING VERY VAGUE SPOILERS AHEAD.

Hard to follow at the beginning when it didn't need to be. The ridiculous love triangle. Most of the ending.

I've already forgotten most details about that movie.

HeadAroundU
04-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Bella, your lighthearted dismissive comments are astonishingly long, detailed and persuasive for lighthearted dismissive comments.
Bella simply has a high standard, in other words, she's way too smart for BBS. :p

JohnnyNemesis
04-10-2007, 04:00 PM
WARNING VERY VAGUE SPOILERS AHEAD.

As much as I absolutely adored the movie, I gotta say that I agree with PIB's sentiments. The difference is, those things just didn't detract from the movie for me.

wheelchairman
04-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Thoughts on Zimbabwe. Mugabe of course has ruined things. Being a largely populist monster. He is however, rather benevolent in comparison to other African dictators. He's only killed a few thousand dissidents/rebels/terrorists whatever youwant to call them. He allows elections (however rigged they may be). And most kids go to school. Ian Smith for example, is still alive as well.

This of course doesn't change the fact that he's given Zimbabwe a higher rate of inflation than that of Germany pre-WW2. He removed the white farmers and assumed that black people knew how to administrate things. They of course didn't and started wandering why their milk production in some of their major facilities went from 50,000 liters a month, to 25,000 to 2,000. And that's because they couldn't "figure out how to pay the electric bill." The milk producer above has to sell his milk illegally as well, because it lost the state health commission's approval.

Zimbabwe's in a mire. It's little brother, South Africa managed to maintain some economic prosperity despite their shaky democracy, high corruption etc. etc.

But seriously, a higher inflation than that of Germany before WW2. That's insane. We all know the stories. That Germans had to carry their worthless Deutchmarks in wheelbarrows so as to be able to buy a loaf of bread. And that thieves would be a problem, they would steal the wheelbarrows and leave the money behind.

EDIT: Ian Smith actually died in South Africa in like 1993 or something, but had lived in Zimbabwe until then.

calichix
04-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I just saw Idiocracy and it made me giggle to no end. it's one of those movies you snigger at with your hand over your mouth.

goonadie1day
04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm watching crank now, i heard it was a good movie.
Crank, in my opinion, is an awful movie. I hate it with a passion!

Rocky, Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, Rocky V & Rocky Balboa
Tell me more about Rocky Balboa. I heard it was an awful movie!

I have PF listed on my top 10 favorite movies of all times on my myspace.
My favorite scene is the Adrenaline shot! I love a lot of Quentin Tarantino movies though!!!

Agreed. I like to have to think about a movie, but damn it was awful. This movie really made me angry.

0r4ng3
04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Tell me more about Rocky Balboa. I heard it was an awful movie!
Are you serious? I've never actually seen it, but from what I've heard, it's the best one since the original. Personally, I like Rocky IV the best.

Wikipedia
04-10-2007, 06:14 PM
I just saw Grindhouse, and now I can forgive Quentin Tarantino for making Kill Bill.

JohnnyNemesis
04-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge is the best.

0r4ng3
04-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Haha, yes. Unnecessary sequels to decades-old movies for the win. That includes "Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Wheelchair Ramp".

Sin Studly
04-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Oooh! Oooooh! Everybody!!!!!

My favorite scene is the Adrenaline shot!

I should probably mention this here, our good friend Schuyler once told me he saw that happen in real life, and when I helpfully pointed out that it was medically impossible he went nuts and called me a "fucking lying poser". Then a few days later he came back and told me I was actually right, but he never said he saw it personally, one of his friends told him he saw it. I wish I saved convos back then.

edit ; to avoid a 600-word Bellanalysis, IC adrenelaine can shock a stopped heart into restarting, but it won't counteract heroin, so the victim would immediately overdose again. That's basically all the details needed.

goonadie1day
04-10-2007, 06:49 PM

I should probably mention this here, our good friend Schuyler once told me he saw that happen in real life, and when I helpfully pointed out that it was medically impossible he went nuts and called me a "fucking lying poser". Then a few days later he came back and told me I was actually right, but he never said he saw it personally, one of his friends told him he saw it. I wish I saved convos back then.

edit ; to avoid a 600-word Bellanalysis, IC adrenelaine can shock a stopped heart into restarting, but it won't counteract heroin, so the victim would immediately overdose again. That's basically all the details needed.

o.O well... i didn't think it was possible... i just always found that scene extremely entertaining! You know your like a jack of all trades when it comes to knowing all of these things!

Paint_It_Black
04-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, Sin knows a lot of things, and when he doesn't know something he looks it up. Man, he's so lucky to have internet access.

As much as I absolutely adored the movie, I gotta say that I agree with PIB's sentiments. The difference is, those things just didn't detract from the movie for me.

Keep in mind I still liked it and would recommend it. But it's certainly no Goodfellas, for example.

0r4ng3
04-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Yeah, Sin knows a lot of things, and when he doesn't know something he looks it up. Man, he's so lucky to have internet access.
How does he know all of those languages?

Whiplash
04-11-2007, 04:00 AM

A friend of mine needed an adrenaline shot once, He has an extreme beesting allergy. A couple of years ago he got stung by 2 bees, His heart just stoped, his parents had an adrenaline shot at home so they gave that to him( not in his heart but in his leg) to give enough time to make it to the hospital.

Jakebert
04-11-2007, 04:44 AM
I just saw Idiocracy and it made me giggle to no end. it's one of those movies you snigger at with your hand over your mouth.

I can't believe I haven't seen that yet, considering how big of a Mike Judge fan I am.

JoY
04-11-2007, 04:47 AM
dear Justin, I just dislike it when you keep on calling it Rhodesia, when they've faught incredibly hard to become independent from Britain & become Zimbabwe (again). colonisation might have forced a certain structure on a country, that functioned very differently before (but in comparison functioned pretty peachy to my knowledge, except for the problems between the Shona & Matabele), but it was in no way a good thing for the native population. not everything needs to become Western. the differences between the roots of Zimbabwe & the introduced Western ways form a large part in problems that exist today. in some aspects, yes, they're rebuilding a country after drastic changes & it's almost like they have to start over.

Leonardo's accent was barely Afrikaner, or I must be going deaf. he compromised a little bit, mingled shit a little bit, but overal his Rhodesian accent (because yes, that's what it is) was pretty damn good work (as we both agreed on before), so it shouldn't matter too much. & all in all a pretty tinywiny portion of the public that's seen Blood Diamond know the difference anyway (unfortunately).

because I know you disagree with me anyway, I jokingly added shit with zero further value. don't always take me so superseriously. it's not good for your health. (uhh, pun@me?)

dear Per, I fondly remember the days I was there & Mugabe was celebrated & respected even among the white population, because there hadn't been that much progress & prosperity in decades. the situation was stable. economically still a disaster, but it was peaceful for a while. the hatred for the white farmers, or basically anything that's white, that overshadowed the country more & more is understandable, but is also part of why things went downhill extremely fast. note: of course I wouldn't have heard a thing about it, especially because I was so young, if everything had been going well at that time.

Whiplash, yeah, that's what Justin described.

Edit: on another note; I watched Marie Antoinette yesterday. you do not want to see it.

Offspring-Junkie
04-11-2007, 04:51 AM

You pointed out it is medically impossible? Ok, go on, I have no idea, if it's possible or not, I'm just curious. Why is it impossible?

killer_queen
04-11-2007, 04:54 AM
Gulsah, you ho, we JUST fangirled Smoochy (& Ed in it) together. How dare you forget? *cries emo tears*

I didn't forget! I was just too happy to see someone who could join us. You know how much I luv 3sums. How dare you forget? :(

There's a movie called Parting Shots which is awesome and if anyone else likes Death to Smoochy I'm sure this can be their favourite.

Sin Studly
04-11-2007, 04:58 AM
dear Justin, I just dislike it when you keep on calling it Rhodesia, when they've faught incredibly hard to become independent from Britain & become Zimbabwe (again). colonisation might have forced a certain structure on a country, that functioned very differently before (but in comparison functioned pretty peachy to my knowledge, except for the problems between the Shona & Matabele), but it was in no way a good thing for the native population. not everything needs to become Western. the differences between the roots of Zimbabwe & the introduced Western ways form a large part in problems that exist today. in some aspects, yes, they're rebuilding a country after drastic changes & it's almost like they have to start over

You need to expand on your knowledge, then. Unless you consider neighbouring tribes to be an acceptable "sustained crop", regularly raided with agricultural-style regularity for slaves and plunder. Or the attempted extermination of the San bushmen because they looked different.

The only people colonialism wasn't good for were the Matabele oligarchs who raped, slaughtered and enslaved anyone they felt like. The Noble Savage isn't always so noble.

Leonardo's accent was barely Afrikaner, or I must be going deaf. he compromised a little bit, mingled shit a little bit, but overal his Rhodesian accent (because yes, that's what it is) was pretty damn good work, so it shouldn't matter too much. & all in all a pretty tinywiny portion of the public that's seen Blood Diamond know the difference anyway (unfortunately).

All I said was it slipped towards Afrikaaner occasionally, not that it was a constant hybrid.

JoY
04-11-2007, 05:05 AM
then we said & meant exactly the same, when it comes to that last point.

Noble Savage = kinda contradictio in termini anyway? ;p
the history of the Shona is.. unfortunate. but at least the groups settled things their way among "themselves". sucks that the two tribes swallowed the cultural characteristics of so many clans & individuals. they need to reach some kind of balanced level. I still have my hopes up. just let me be optimistic, I like it that way.

Sin Studly
04-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Noble Savage is basically the opposite of White Man's Burden. It's a romanticised and idealistic sociological idea that primitivism > civilisation, that by removing ourselves from our natural environment we become 'less human', that those more in touch with nature ; who live in small clans, spear game, wear furs, etc. are closer to God. It got big around the time of The Enlightenment, and it still has effects today. When you see people trying to isolate small jungle tribes from the rest of the world to 'preserve their culture and heritage', or peddling 'authetic herbal remedies' that don't actually cure anything, it's because of the ideas of The Noble Savage.

It's a fucking great idea in theory, but those damn savages destroy it all by killing, maiming and destroying each other while we sit back and watch uncomfortably. I'm not 100% down on the White Man's Burden, but it beats the hell out of "we should deny savages vaccines to preventable diseases and let them butcher each other and eat each others hearts because it's culturally authentic".

Basically all I'm trying to say is that the majority of Africa was a wartorn shithole before the white man came, it was a somewhat contained shithole during the white man's rule, and now it's a wartorn shithole again. There's nothing shameful about colonialism when put into perspective.

JoY
04-11-2007, 07:28 AM
*scratches head* dude, I must admit I was totally head over heels in love with the way the population ..well, is supposed to live, if things just wouldn't be so fucked up. (don't you desect that sentence, because it's not exactly accurate) but even with things being fucked up (but I of course visited in better days, you don't take your family down there in the middle of a war against whiteys), it was holy fucking paradise to me.

the country is stunningly beautiful, the people I met were incredibly peaceful (nice how that turned out, imagine my reaction when suddenly they started to burn down white men's farms, along with torturing them & their animals & shit) & life there seemed so uncomplicated. (oh that's just a dream, I know) what you needed was territory, food on legs, water (kind of a problem here & there) & some kind of shelter. a net against tse tse's was also pretty useful. & for whoever shags around there; wear a condom.

the whole "one with nature"-concept is freakin' attractive, especially the way a young blonde white girl would see it there, that's for sure. in the Netherlands.. being one with nature wouldn't really be a successful trend. but of course it's idealistic. without some idealisation here & there, where would mankind be anyway? duuude, when I heard about how screwed up Zim had gotten, my parents almost had to convince me into not wanting to go there to make it again the way I had seen it. I can't make a difference, certainly not at what? the age of 10, but you just want to so much.

it's the one country on this planet that has left the biggest impression on me. the poverty, the misery, the landmines & the massive problems, but also the animals, the landscape, the people.... I was buddies with a big nigger cook called Tito & we listened to Dutch songs on my walkman together that he didn't understand fuck of. whiteys weren't supposed to enter his kitchen, where he, his wife & kids hung around constantly, but he always tolerated me. I don't really know if he did, by the way, but I didn't really care & walked in all the time anyway, yabbing in crippled English. there was a "boy" too & I always made him drawings of the animals there, because he couldn't see them since he was always at the gate. I don't know what his name was, though, we always just called him "boy".

I hate thinking back in a realistic fashion. I think of more & more things I loved then, but that in reality are really majorly fucked up, every single time.

Sin Studly
04-11-2007, 07:45 AM
I agree, the idealistic picture is always better than what really happens, which is why the Noble Savage is so widely embraced and why colonialism is seen as the root of all evils in Africa. Because Africa is a beautiful nation and people want to believe in the idealistic vision of the Madai tribes living in harmony and the brave and fair Zulu warriors striding through their home, a land where there's no slavery and no violence and none of the horrible things that white people brought.

It's just too bad the reality is a truckload uglier.

JoY
04-11-2007, 07:49 AM
*let me delete that for his sake.<3

calichix
04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
I think it was coke. not heroin. I was her for halloween.

Sin Studly
04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I think it was coke. not heroin. I was her for halloween.

It was pure heroin for IV use that she thought was cut coke for sniffing, hence the explosion of her nasal cavities and immediate heart failure.

nameless
04-11-2007, 03:17 PM
id recommend a film called higher learning, i only recently saw it but it was really good!

goonadie1day
04-11-2007, 10:11 PM
I saw The Notebook today. I really disliked the book, but the movie was good. It made me *tear*

It is not my favorite movie, but it was good, and i would recommend it. :D

Other than that, i watched The Butterfly Effect I & II, I really enjoyed the first one, but not the second one. They should have just stopped with one!

RickyCrack
04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
lol, kind of like your first post and the rest of your posts.

Grabbal
04-12-2007, 06:14 AM
lol, kind of like your first post and the rest of your posts.

http://i19.tinypic.com/2qiae5e.jpg

Not Ozymandias
04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Witness:

-Seven Samurai (easily the best movie ever made, you may see god in it)
-Aguirre, the Wrath of God
-The General (made in 1925, but way more thrilling than 98% of action movies. Buster Keaton may have wound up with horrible arthritis all over his body, but it was totally worth it)
-Dead Man
-Shivers (Night of the Living Dead with the zombies turning into sex fiends)
-The Trouble With Harry (H.L. Mencken would find this too cynical about humanity)
-Z
-Paris, Texas
-My Life To Live
-The Limey
-Bob Le Flambeur
-Shadows

Seconded.

If that's not your style, you should watch Documentaries
http://www.offspring.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Particularly:
Capturing the Friedmans (don't watch it late or you wont sleep)
Grizzly Man
The Endurance
Gates of Heaven

like Bowling for Columbine. That's a great movie.
http://www.offspring.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

The guy is borderline patholgical when it comes to lying.

Grabbal
04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Witness:

-The General (made in 1925, but way more thrilling than 98% of action movies. Buster Keaton may have wound up with horrible arthritis all over his body, but it was totally worth it)
-Dead Man
-Shivers (Night of the Living Dead with the zombies turning into sex fiends)
-The Trouble With Harry (H.L. Mencken would find this too cynical about humanity)
-Z
-Paris, Texas
-My Life To Live
-The Limey
-Bob Le Flambeur
-Shadows

I have to say, WOW! It's not very often I see 13 recommended movies where I haven't heard about a single one.

Could be a good thing though.

Paint_It_Black
04-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Witness

I prefer The Fugitive, but whatever.

goonadie1day
04-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Ok so what movies have you seen this weekend everyone?

Endymion
04-15-2007, 04:18 AM
i watched Crumb yesterday.

H1T_That
04-15-2007, 04:20 AM
Apocalypto. Great movie.

F@ BANKZ
04-15-2007, 04:20 AM
Friday, Next Friday, Gladiator and rocky III, all of whic i have seen before. I never get a chance to rent out new movies, when can i get a blockbuster card?

ninthlayer
04-15-2007, 04:30 AM
Apocalypto. Great movie.
Whoa, what?

wheelchairman
04-15-2007, 04:33 AM
The Day After Tomorrow is really enjoyable. Saw it yesterday.

killer_queen
04-15-2007, 04:34 AM
The Postman Always Rings Twice. Hawt.

H1T_That
04-15-2007, 04:47 AM
Whoa, what?

You didn't enjoy it?

ninthlayer
04-15-2007, 05:12 AM
The only Mel Gibson movies I watch are Forever Young and the Mad Max trilogy.

Grabbal
04-15-2007, 05:13 AM

What about all of the "Lethal weapon" movies?? I mean, they're amazing!

ninthlayer
04-15-2007, 05:14 AM
I knew someone would bring that up. Regrettably, I have not seen them. Or any of the Die Hard movies.

-4,000 man points

wheelchairman
04-15-2007, 05:16 AM
What about Braveheart?
It's awesome.

Grabbal
04-15-2007, 05:16 AM
Or any of the Die Hard movies.

He didn't star in those. Or did he??

Edit: Stupid me, I see you meant you regret not having seen the Die Hard movies.

Vera
04-15-2007, 05:28 AM
i watched Crumb yesterday.

You're crumbelievable!

H1T_That
04-15-2007, 06:17 AM

Too bad. Apocalypto is an amazing movie. The only time Mel Gibson features is in the credits.

I knew someone would bring that up. Regrettably, I have not seen them. Or any of the Die Hard movies.

-4,000 man points

Oh My God. Rent them now.

Grabbal
04-15-2007, 06:20 AM
I am soooo thinking about buying THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Lethal-Weapon-Complete-Mel-Gibson/dp/B00000G3PL/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9840629-8123837?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1176639548&sr=8-1) right now. Just need to check out Norwegian sites to see if they have it.

H1T_That
04-15-2007, 06:37 AM
I am soooo thinking about buying THIS right now. Just need to check out Norwegian sites to see if they have it.

Look closer to home. Lethal Weapon movies are good, not $41 plus shipping good though.

wheelchairman
04-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Actually, it probably is better than Norwegian prices. Probably half as much.

Not Ozymandias
04-15-2007, 07:21 AM

You're such a bastard. <3

I'm so, so lucky I didn't have internet access until I was 19.

Grabbal
04-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Actually, it probably is better than Norwegian prices. Probably half as much.

You have no idea how right you are!

F@ BANKZ
04-15-2007, 10:10 AM
I just watched Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot. I strongly reccomend it to anyone with slightly too much time on their hands.

ZagmenO
04-15-2007, 10:13 AM
I watched the 1st two Ninja Turtle movies in the trilogy. I have the DVD box set.

BREAK
04-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I'll play.

Persona
Fitzcarraldo
L'avventura
Opening Night
Ran
Apocalypse Now
Breathless
The Wild Bunch
Glengarry Glen Ross
Picnic at Hanging Rock

Yes. Anybody who hasn't seen those will be cut up into 198 pieces and stomped on until their remains can be used only to paint walls.

The Day After Tomorrow is really enjoyable.

No. Stop acting a fool.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-16-2007, 05:54 PM
I got done watchin Children of Men earlier, it was a pretty original movie, i loved it.

I fucking hated that movie. I didn't just think it was "overrated" or anything like that either. It was honestly one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

WebDudette
04-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Children of Men wasn't horrible, it was hardly worth watching but there are far worse movies. Million Dollar Baby on the other hand was incredibly horrible, I recommend no one see that movie.

Lodat225
04-16-2007, 08:54 PM
I fucking hated that movie. I didn't just think it was "overrated" or anything like that either. It was honestly one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I agree. The director was so idiotic.

goonadie1day
04-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Boys Don't Cry = good movie...

i only found out recently that this happend in Humbolt NE, my neighbor somehow or another new 'Brandon Tina'...

Sad ass shit.

As far as Children of Men - it was really original, and i liked it.

Million Dollar Baby, was really worthless.

ruroken
04-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Grave of the Fireflies
Full Metal Jacket