PDA

View Full Version : Accents

Zeall
04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
As i read through posts, i generally hear the words i read in my head. A thought i came across is people's accents, everytime i read a post i imagine the voice in my head like mine (strong Yorkshire accent) but recently i have been reading where people are from and trying to imagine their posts in their accent. It's weird, anyone else do the same as me and not imagine accent when you read stuff by other users?

I'd like to hear some accents but it'd feel weird

</rant>

Jakebert
04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
I don't imagine voices, but a lot of times, I'll try to picture what I think each poster looks like.

Llamas
04-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I don't think of voices. There used to be a thread where people posted voice clips, though.

JohnnyNemesis
04-12-2007, 04:34 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19424

Eccentric Sara
04-12-2007, 04:56 PM
As i read through posts, i generally hear the words i read in my head. A thought i came across is people's accents, everytime i read a post i imagine the voice in my head like mine (strong Yorkshire accent) but recently i have been reading where people are from and trying to imagine their posts in their accent. It's weird, anyone else do the same as me and not imagine accent when you read stuff by other users?

I'd like to hear some accents but it'd feel weird

</rant>
I've never done that,but I understand your thinking!:) You would be confused if you tried to work out my accent anyway.I live in Manchester,I went to uni in Wales,my Mum is from Leeds,my Dad is from London,but I am actually from the West Midlands,so I have a really weird mixture of accents,with a bit of Brumminess thrown in!:D

darea
04-12-2007, 05:04 PM
I've got a mild yorkshire accent, because my parents are from leeds, and I was born and grew up in france, so... talking in english with my parents gave me a yorkshire accent but its not all that strong

T-6005
04-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I've never done that,but I understand your thinking!:) You would be confused if you tried to work out my accent anyway.I live in Manchester,I went to uni in Wales,my Mum is from Leeds,my Dad is from London,but I am actually from the West Midlands,so I have a really weird mixture of accents,with a bit of Brumminess thrown in!:D
Yeah, but they're all "from thereabouts" to a foreigner.

Try meeting some people who've really got some fucked up accents. People from New Zealand who more to North America try to conserve their accents but change despite themselves are my personal favorite.

wheelchairman
04-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I had a colleague from South Africa, who moved to a Kibbutz in Israel and worked there for 9 months. Then moved to England to work for a year or two or something. Then moved to Denmark. His Danish was terrible, but his English was incomprehensible.

Eccentric Sara
04-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah, but they're all "from thereabouts" to a foreigner.

Try meeting some people who've really got some fucked up accents. People from New Zealand who more to North America try to conserve their accents but change despite themselves are my personal favorite.
Yeah,I suppose all British accents sound pretty similar to a non-Brit! Do people pick up the American accent when they move there,then? I suppose kids who move there would,as they are still well,developing,but I can't see why adults would pick up the accent too much. Surely after a certain point,your accent is engrained? :confused: Having said that though,Joss Stone (English soul singer) has picked up the American accent since she moved there,but she is quite young (20?) and she might be putting the accent on cos she thinks it sounds cool. (Oh dear....:rolleyes: )

Sin Studly
04-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah,I suppose all British accents sound pretty similar to a non-Brit!

Oh hell no they don't. The Queen's English is hot. Brummies, scousers and geordies sound hideous beyond all belief.

Eccentric Sara
04-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Correction:all British accents sound the same to non-English-speaking non-Brits.Like if I went to India for example,I wouldn't be able to distinguish between regional accents or even languages ,as I am not familar with the language(s) of that country.
And I can see why accents piss ppl off,but they don't bother me much,as long I can understand what the person is saying.I used to be "Queen's English" ,but then I went to school,and became more Brummy due to my surroundings. Oh well.:rolleyes:

WebDudette
04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
I think that if one were to here a couple of the accents from just the US they would be able to tell the difference. Also, some accents are just extremely annoying.

Tizzalicious
04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't read imagine accents when I read. Maybe I read in my own accent?

Paint_It_Black
04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Do people pick up the American accent when they move there,then? I suppose kids who move there would,as they are still well,developing,but I can't see why adults would pick up the accent too much. Surely after a certain point,your accent is engrained?

Yes, your native accent can become quite difficult to shake off. Even if you try to change it, you'll find certain words insist on popping out the way you're used to. It can be immensely useful to change your accent though, especially if you're living in a foreign country.

Even if you make no effort to pick up the local accent, over time you'll find you begin to, even if it's only on one or two particular words. Or you might find you develop an odd hybrid accent. And you may not notice you're doing it until someone points it out.

Nina
04-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Correction:all British accents sound the same to non-English-speaking non-Brits.Like if I went to India for example,I wouldn't be able to distinguish between regional accents or even languages ,as I am not familar with the language(s) of that country.

This honestly just isnt true. There are major differences between Scotish, Walsh etc., even people who dont speak English will hear the difference. And when they cant make out from which region it comes from they can at least tell it's from Britain.

I LOVE New Zealand accents. And Scotish accents. And British accents in general. oh my.

German accents are horribly unattractive/annoying/fucking dumb. Hochdeutsch ftw.

MrJoe
04-13-2007, 02:17 AM
Here's an older post I did, of some recorded English Accents I did.
I don't know if the link to SaveFile where the mp3's are stored still works, as I'm at work and websites like SaveFile are blocked dammit.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=914637&postcount=19

Offspring-Junkie
04-13-2007, 04:02 AM
German accents are horribly unattractive/annoying/fucking dumb. Hochdeutsch ftw.
German accents are funny!!!!! I can't stop laughing about it. :D

Venom Symbiote
04-13-2007, 05:47 AM
South African and New Zealand accents are fucking disgusting. They actually make me physically sick.

But fuck, I guess I can't accuse. I'm friggin' Australian. Crikey dingo, yadda yadda yadda.

Whiplash
04-13-2007, 05:49 AM
Look you guy's it's venom beeing insightfull again.

Venom Symbiote
04-13-2007, 06:55 AM
That got old. Move on, everyone else has.

Llamas
04-13-2007, 07:21 AM
This honestly just isnt true. There are major differences between Scotish, Walsh etc., even people who dont speak English will hear the difference. And when they cant make out from which region it comes from they can at least tell it's from Britain.

I LOVE New Zealand accents. And Scotish accents. And British accents in general. oh my.

I can tell the difference between English and Irish accents... other than that, that whole region sounds the same. I can't tell between Irish and Scottish, and English and Walsh...

I like NZ accents and Scottish accents... quite a lot. But I really dislike English accents. Blech. My second least favorite accent in spoken English in the world.

German accents... well, it depends on where you live. I don't know the one where you live, but the one in Hamburg is awful. Hochdeutsch is definitely better... so far, Austrian accents > German accents by a WHOLE lot, but I can understand German better than Austria. :P

German accents are funny!!!!! I can't stop laughing about it. :D

Funny? How so? I'd say there are some accents in Austria that are "funnier" than in Germany... whether or not I think they sound better.

South African and New Zealand accents are fucking disgusting. They actually make me physically sick.

But fuck, I guess I can't accuse. I'm friggin' Australian. Crikey dingo, yadda yadda yadda.
You would say that. The most typical of whiny Australians hate NZ accents. South African and NZ both have much better accents than Australia. Aussie accents are one above English accents, but still aren't too great world wide.

calichix
04-13-2007, 07:22 AM
I can't stand people from Manchester's accents. MANCHESTOH. AmeriCOH. uugughhghghghghghgghghgh *vomit* But then you go to Sheffield and the accent is totally different. w. t. f? The way people from Sheffield say things like "dancing" and "chance" and "romance" makes my toes curl. My mamma's got this adorable snooty London accent then when she's joking or pissed off she'll drop into this indecipherable cockney slurring. Such a fox. <3

I think in person I sound like a bimbo except with a good vocabulary and a neverending supply of outdated witticisms. I don't wonder about anyone's accents. Except the Eastern Europeans I imagine all speaking like Boris and Natasha and James Bond sluts. <333

wheelchairman
04-13-2007, 07:29 AM
I LOVE ... And British accents in general. oh my....

Your attitude is incorrect.

My accent generally tries to copy the way calichix writes.

Sin Studly
04-13-2007, 07:32 AM
You would say that. The most typical of whiny Australians hate NZ accents. South African and NZ both have much better accents than Australia. Aussie accents are one above English accents, but still aren't too great world wide.

Nah, the whiny nasal accent is just how the Queenslanders talk. Kiwi accents are ridiculous and South African accents are... pure evil. Me, I was raised with a 100% refined Australian accent which is closer to the Queen's English than most English accents, but then years of public school turned it into a lowbrow croweater accent and my time in Western Australia adulterated that with the sandgroper accent.

Llamas
04-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Nah, the whiny nasal accent is just how the Queenslanders talk. Kiwi accents are ridiculous and South African accents are... pure evil. Me, I was raised with a 100% refined Australian accent which is closer to the Queen's English than most English accents, but then years of public school turned it into a lowbrow croweater accent and my time in Western Australia adulterated that with the sandgroper accent.

I'd like to hear your accent now. Is there a working link in that thread by chance?

I've only heard that in Queensland, I guess, if they're the only ones who are all nasally. Was Steve Irwin from Queensland?

Haha, I still love NZ and south African accents. :P

calichix
04-13-2007, 07:56 AM
wait.. what? are you denying the bombassitude of australian accents?? do you know who hugh jackman is?!!!!!

for womankind I am offended.

Llamas
04-13-2007, 07:57 AM
wait.. what? are you denying the bombassitude of australian accents?? do you know who hugh jackman is?!!!!!

for womankind I am offended.

Hugh Jackman is totally awesome. And damn hot. But for me, one hot guy does not make an entire nation of accents hot. :P

wheelchairman
04-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Hugh Jackman is totally awesome. And damn hot. But for me, one hot guy does not make an entire nation of accents hot. :P

Really? One fat guy ruined the entire category of obese people for you.

Llamas
04-13-2007, 08:02 AM
You know, I was just upset and ranting at that point. :P Plus, he never changed my opinion... I've always had the same opinion on it, he just pissed me off that day and reminded me.

wheelchairman
04-13-2007, 08:03 AM
It was a rhetorical question. Next time I'll make sure to include a ":p "

Llamas
04-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Gotcha... I was surprised that you would've actually meant that. :P

calichix
04-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Australians and southerners are the last real men on the planet. I've never heard a woman come back from Australia saying, "Well they were men. They were Gods. They were man-Gods. But their accents were soooooooo nasaly."

But you should take my opinion with a grain of salt because I would've railed Steve Irwin big time. He would've been such a considerate lover.

Sin Studly
04-13-2007, 08:30 AM
http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cast/MadMax2/KjellNilsson/Humungous.jpg

Does the Lord Humungus, Master of the Wastelands have a nasal voice? He's the Ayatollah of Rock'n'Rolla for fucks sake, of course he doesn't have a nasal voice. Just walk away from this argument. Just walk away.

calichix
04-13-2007, 08:34 AM
The prosecution rests.

Llamas
04-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Australians and southerners are the last real men on the planet. I've never heard a woman come back from Australia saying, "Well they were men. They were Gods. They were man-Gods. But their accents were soooooooo nasaly."

But you should take my opinion with a grain of salt because I would've railed Steve Irwin big time. He would've been such a considerate lover.

Whoa, southern men? ahahahaha. :P

Anyway, I wasn't complaining that they were nasally... I was complaining that I don't like their accents! There are just many accents of spoken English that I prefer over Australian. :P So there.

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Look you guy's it's venom beeing insightfull again.

That only works when it...works. Don't do that again.

calichix
04-13-2007, 10:32 AM
heyyyyyyyl yeah southern men. they knows how to treat a lady. like if you stroll through a bar in texas it's a hat tipping parade. is texas considered the south? anyway, so. fine.

omgogmogmogm and they always call you "miss"! g'devenin miss lahhhrah. *orgasm*

Sin Studly
04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
It's true, Americans from the South are the only ones with any fucking class whatsoever. When I was in the states I got a warm fuzzy whenever somebody said "Howdy" because it made me feel like I was right back at home.

DeAtHsTaR
04-13-2007, 11:02 AM
It's true, Americans from the South are the only ones with any fucking class whatsoever. When I was in the states I got a warm fuzzy whenever somebody said "Howdy" because it made me feel like I was right back at home.

Yeah, did you guys go hang a nigger after that?

Sin Studly
04-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Most of the southerners I met were niggers. Hell, if it weren't for my trip to America I'd hate blacks a whole lot worse than I do now. American blacks are awesome. They're civilised! They walk on their hind legs and speak a language close to English. They don't chuck spears at me. It's great.

Paint_It_Black
04-13-2007, 11:41 AM

Quoted for pwnage.

I can tell the difference between English and Irish accents... other than that, that whole region sounds the same. I can't tell between Irish and Scottish, and English and Walsh...

So I'm forced to assume all your experience in this matter comes from Hollywood movies. A limited selection of Hollywood movies. A lack of experience must be the answer, because anyone could hear the difference in accents from different parts of Britain. You don't have to know where each one originates, but any non-deaf individual should be able to tell they are wildly different upon hearing them.

Edit: I think you mean Welsh, not Walsh. And by the way, their accents are incredible.

calichix
04-13-2007, 12:13 PM
yeah the welsh are sweetie pies. like the chick from blind date. awwwwwww.

eccentric sara- if someone loses their accent they did it on purpose.

Bazza
04-13-2007, 12:23 PM
I'd say I have a plain East Midlands accent (no twang, or common chav sound, but not "BBC English"). I love impersonating other peoples accents. At uni I live with a Scouser and we have fun winding him up over his accent, Brummy accents are funny as well. I don't know how anyone could confuse a true Welsh/Scottish/Irish accent with an English one, they're completely different. It'd be like confusing an Aussie with and American.

Llamas
04-13-2007, 12:25 PM
heyyyyyyyl yeah southern men. they knows how to treat a lady. like if you stroll through a bar in texas it's a hat tipping parade. is texas considered the south? anyway, so. fine.

omgogmogmogm and they always call you "miss"! g'devenin miss lahhhrah. *orgasm*

Well I wasn't arguing that they're not hospitable to the right people... I was just saying I don't like the accents. That's all. :)

Nina
04-13-2007, 12:30 PM
I love impersonating other peoples accents.

I really, REALLY love it when other people do that, and I wish I was that gifted, but unfortunately I'm horrible at it and never try, because I know I'll fail and that will be embarrassing! I can only do a decent "dabei ist alles?!".
:(

Bazza
04-13-2007, 12:34 PM
I really, REALLY love it when other people do that, and I wish I was that gifted, but unfortunately I'm horrible at it and never try, because I know I'll fail and that will be embarrassing! I can only do a decent "dabei ist alles?!".
:(

Lol, I never said I was any good at it!! There are some accents that I just can't figure out, for example Spanish and Dutch, and I constantly embarras myself when I attempt to do a South African one (I went to see Blood Diamond a while ago and that got me started on it, me and my friends constantly quote Di Caprio's line "god left this place a long long time ago" but with aweful accents!).

Llamas
04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
I can't impersonate accents, either. It's just because I can never remember them in my head. If I hear an accent, I can imitate it immediately, but if someone says "impersonate a russian accent", I can't hear it in my head... so I can't do it.

Nina
04-13-2007, 12:57 PM
I think *I* just have a physical inability. Haha.

Paint_It_Black
04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I can't impersonate accents, either. It's just because I can never remember them in my head. If I hear an accent, I can imitate it immediately, but if someone says "impersonate a russian accent", I can't hear it in my head... so I can't do it.

I'm mostly the same way, though I can do a few accents.

calichix
04-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm an accent supergenius. I can tell where anyone's from.

a southern drawl makes me.. southern drool. good lawdy.

DeAtHsTaR
04-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Most of the southerners I met were niggers. Hell, if it weren't for my trip to America I'd hate blacks a whole lot worse than I do now. American blacks are awesome. They're civilised! They walk on their hind legs and speak a language close to English. They don't chuck spears at me. It's great.

Haha, I see. Well in America, there are two kinds of black people. One, the kind you met, are great people, I have some friends like that. The other kind we refer to as niggers, jiggaboos, junglebunnies, etc. They don't speak English and they throw uh, bullets at you.

Venom Symbiote
04-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Exactly. ^ "I love black people. I hate niggers." - Chris Rock.

But going back a few pages to the Australian/New Zealand accents, Llamas, you're being retarded. People who say "I like New Zealand accents, but Australian ones I don't" are tools. They're exactly the same, except that people from NZ can't pronounce vowels. "U" for "I", etc.

Sin, I don't really understand the "nasally" thing. Sure, some people up here speak that way, but it's definitely a minority. Mainly the surfer lower-class types...shit, that sounds elitist. But it's pretty-much true. Victoria and South Australia tend to have the more refined accents though, agreed. Then again, I could stereotype those states saying everyone in Melbourne speaks like a wog, and everyone in Adelaide has a snotty academic tone.

But indeed, American Southerners have awesome accents. Totally cool. I kinda like the "Noo Yaaaawk" accents too, they're pretty funny.

But South Africans are fucking devil minions, I swear. There are a lot of immigrants from around that area here (S.A., Rhodesia/Zimbabwe), and every time I hear them speak something just makes me angry.

Oh, it doesn't help that they're all arrogant cunts, either.

Paint_It_Black
04-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Exactly. ^ "I love black people. I hate niggers." - Chris Rock.

But the only way to be safe is to hang them all.

lol amirite?

wheelchairman
04-14-2007, 05:52 AM
My South African colleague and I went to the Scottish pub and spoke in scottish accents for a night.

F@ BANKZ
04-14-2007, 06:16 AM
I speak in an Italian accent in Italy in an attempt to be more understood & occasionally i'm told i have a sligh northern twang but it is not very noticable.

Sin Studly
04-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Sin, I don't really understand the "nasally" thing. Sure, some people up here speak that way, but it's definitely a minority. Mainly the surfer lower-class types...shit, that sounds elitist. But it's pretty-much true. Victoria and South Australia tend to have the more refined accents though, agreed. Then again, I could stereotype those states saying everyone in Melbourne speaks like a wog, and everyone in Adelaide has a snotty academic tone.

Victorians are kinda nasal too, but not nearly as bad as you canecutters. I'm going to swim in the pewl after I go to schewl. And there's two accents here, the refined accent and croweater.

JohnnyNemesis
04-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Oh look, insightful, blah, etc.

H1T_That
04-14-2007, 08:14 AM
To everyone outside the north east of England i sound like a geordie. But i acutally sound nothing like one.

Whiplash
04-14-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't really speak in any accent, I do have a ''Leidse R'' sometimes. And i say ''dan''(then) allot after every sentance, but thats something allot of the people here do.

Sinister
04-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I have an instantly noticeable Quebecker accent both in french and English -- see the voice clip thread for a sample of my so-called English. The main difference is I like how it sounds (a hell of a lot) tougher than the average frog in french, but fucking hate how anyone can tell I'm some kind of a frog as well when I speak English :( and I can't wait for the day I lose it and start sounding like a real Canadian.

DeAtHsTaR
04-14-2007, 10:14 AM
I think Australian/New Zealand accents are sexy.

H1T_That
04-14-2007, 11:39 AM
I have an instantly noticeable Quebecker accent both in french and English -- see the voice clip thread for a sample of my so-called English. The main difference is I like how it sounds (a hell of a lot) tougher than the average frog in french, but fucking hate how anyone can tell I'm some kind of a frog as well when I speak English :( and I can't wait for the day I lose it and start sounding like a real Canadian.

One of the many benefits of puberty my friend.

Jakebert
04-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Sometimes when I read my smart-assed, "rant" posts, I have House's voice in my head. Yeah, I watch too much TV.

Grabbal
04-14-2007, 11:58 AM
When I read I hear my bad American wannabe accent.:(

Grabbal
04-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Grabbal, is that you that subscribed to my vids on youtube?

Yup. Really liked your playing so I really had no reason not to subscribe.
I noticed your profile through Mrconeman's profile looking at his subscribtions.

goonadie1day
04-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Dusky, when you post i have to read like in accent! :D its funny thought i think

goonadie1day
04-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Oh, sorry.:confused: I just thought it was funny. if i see something else i promise i will change it

wheelchairman
04-14-2007, 01:44 PM
We should just open a bbs savefile account. They're free, and don't get deleted as far as I understand it. Then we could put the voicefiles there.

Grabbal
04-14-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm flattered. Thank you dearest.

*Blows a kiss*

Grabbal
04-14-2007, 02:35 PM
You're welcome my dearest.

Venom Symbiote
04-14-2007, 07:04 PM
I don't really speak in any accent

Idiocy.

Hey Sin, what's a "crow-eater"? I keep seeing you use the term, it must be a local kind of southern-state thing. I still say the "nasally twang" thing is usually the like...plumbers and bricklayers and all, the "g'day mate" types. Steve Irwin style. I mean, I don't talk that way, but my folks are from Melbourne, so fuck, maybe I'm just being a tool.

Venom Symbiote
04-14-2007, 07:07 PM
I think Australian/New Zealand accents are sexy.

People keep fucking saying that, I'll never understand why. What the hell is it that makes Americans and Canadians obsessed with this country?

Like, except for our crocodile-wrestling abilities (admittedly pretty fuckin' cool) and big furry animals that will kick you in the balls with their giant feet if you threaten them, Australia is pretty much Southern California without the Mexicans. Big deal. And our accents are pretty mediocre. Better than the lower-class "ello Guvna" English, but worse than the proper English accents. Certainly more annoying than most American accents, too.

We're not on Kiwi/Zimmy level of inflection stupidity, but we're still pretty damn annoying. I mean, look at any case on TV of an American interviewing an Australian or vice versa. Pure rage at the Aussie. Pure rage. We sound like hicks in comparison.

Even the American Southern hicks have class to their accents. We're like that, without the politeness and charm.

ZagmenO
04-14-2007, 07:11 PM
*eyelash flutter*

*squirm*

Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Did grandad simpson just blow me a kiss?

*flings handbag on sidewalk, scattering its contents* Never do that again. Or get a sexy avatar. Marlon Brando or Alain Delon.

*Blows a kiss*

*offers cheek, maiden blush*

It's palpipating on my cheek, that kiss. Oh, the intensity of that moment. The brush of those fluttering lips, that soft tingle of the skin... cheek to cheek with that manly closely-shaven jaw... I closed my eyes & let it shiver there... but you can't capture the intensity of a moment... They say there's a little of that in Chanel n5...

Biz

You're welcome my dearest.

Wow. This is some kinda "word porn" right here.

Anyways, about my accent, it's a very subtle kind of Italian. You know? Like, not the incoherent Opera singer kind, or the Brooklyn New York kind, or the "Italy meets France" kind. Just a subtle sort of an Italian-American kind.

If that did not make sense then I'm sorry.

Venom Symbiote
04-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Like, not the incoherent Opera singer kind, or the Brooklyn New York kind, or the "Italy meets France" kind. Just a subtle sort of an Italian-American kind.

"Shaddapayouface, eh?" *twirls some pizza dough, throws up in the air* :)

mrconeman
04-14-2007, 07:27 PM
When people from the internets find out I'm Irish I assume that they assume I sound like a southerner. Y'know the Colin Farrel heavily portrayed in the media Irish stereotype accent.

I have a Northern accent, which is very different.

Venom Symbiote
04-14-2007, 08:12 PM
ie. Barely understandable. :)

Lodat225
04-14-2007, 08:15 PM
I have down syndrome.

Venom Symbiote
04-14-2007, 08:55 PM
They have cool accents, though.

Lodat225
04-15-2007, 11:25 AM
People with down syndrome?

calichix
04-15-2007, 11:48 AM
I beg to differ.

Llamas
04-15-2007, 11:50 AM
I was going to make a post that said "Down's* Syndrome", but decided to look it up first, to make sure "Down" wasn't also correct... turns out "Down's" is what they say in Britain... I think it must also be the original/correct version that got shortened. But I never knew it could also be "Down". Anyway, there's my absolutely pointless post for the day.

F@ BANKZ
04-15-2007, 12:24 PM
In Britain i think we always use Down. I certainly do.

Sin Studly
04-15-2007, 12:39 PM
What's the difference, when you say it out loud?

F@ BANKZ
04-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah i think, at a guess all that has happened is people found it hard to say down's syndrome and couldn't differentiate it from Down Syndrome anyway so they got lazy and dropped an s, which would mean Down's would be correct.

nieh
04-15-2007, 02:03 PM
There's a shitty local funk band out there somewhere with the name "The Get Down Syndrome". I lolled and then cried when I actually listened to them.

Llamas
04-15-2007, 02:04 PM
That's probably true.

After Sin's post, I started saying it out loud. I personally say them slightly different. (There's a pause between the Ses in "Down's syndrome" and a pause after the N in "Down Syndrome.) I assume it's probably not the same for everyone, though. Probably often blends, I'm sure.

F@ BANKZ
04-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I tend to talk quite fast alot of the time as do most people i know so you cannot really tell.

Sin Studly
04-15-2007, 02:14 PM
After Sin's post, I started saying it out loud. I personally say them slightly different. (There's a pause between the Ses in "Down's syndrome" and a pause after the N in "Down Syndrome.) I assume it's probably not the same for everyone, though. Probably often blends, I'm sure.

If you talk so slow that the pause between the words is noticable, you probably sound like you have Down's Syndrome.

nieh
04-15-2007, 02:14 PM
After Sin's post, I started saying it out loud. I personally say them slightly different. (There's a pause between the Ses in "Down's syndrome" and a pause after the N in "Down Syndrome.)

That's probably mostly because you're thinking about it. If you use the phrase in casual conversation it would probably sound the same with or without the 's.

Llamas
04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
If you talk so slow that the pause between the words is noticable, you probably sound like you have Down's Syndrome.

haha, it's not talking slow, it's an interruption of the s stream with my tongue.

and nieh, I don't think so. But you could be right. Regardless, it's irrelevant.