PDA

View Full Version : song meanings?

mrQQ
12-30-2004, 03:10 AM
i tried to find it, but couldnt.. is there a thread with info about how offspring themselves explain different songs and their lyrics? or is that a secret info?

thanks

MirandaV
12-30-2004, 04:09 AM
Some songs are ''secret'' like you call it (gone away, end of the line) , but there are a few Dexter on the songs, for the rest nothing I know off.

Jojan
12-30-2004, 06:01 AM
Dexter On The Songs:

http://co1.theoffspring.info/songs/songs.html

He did Da Hui too but I could not find it.

Jojan
12-30-2004, 06:03 AM
Da Hui

Hey guys. I know you're thinking, wow, two posts from Dexter in less than a month, that never happens! But I wanted to. I'm excited about our CD coming out in December, and I want people to know about it. I'm gonna be talking about some of the songs on the new record, as well as behind the scenes stuff, studio stories, artwork, all the stuff you're only interested in if you have too much time on your hands!

So I've seen a lot of stuff posted on our BBS about Da Hui so I thought I'd just explain it once and for all. Da Hui (pronounced Da Hooey) are a group of tough, but fair, native Hawaiian surfers who live on the North Shore of Hawaii, where you find some of the best, and gnarliest, surf. If you're gonna surf the North Shore, you gotta give 'em props, cause you're surfing their backyard. If you're respectful of them and stay out of their way, they're cool, but if you're not, you'll probably get a beating. And that's not only from insulting them, but it's also dangerous surfing out there. The North Shore breaks big, especially in the winter, and often over shallow reefs just under the surface. If you cut somebody off ('take off' on 'em) or make them fall, they could get really hurt or killed. Definitely not for novices.

I'm sure that many of you have been to a different neighborhood, city, or part of a town where the streets are known to be run by some pretty tough locals. Unless you have some sort of chip on your shoulder, you're going to try to be respectful of those locals, and do your best to earn some respect for yourself. Feeling uncomfortable when you're out of your element is something that I think everybody can understand. On the other hand, we are all just people, and if we treat each other with respect, we can get beyond our differences and learn to make the most of this world together.

So I decided to write a song about Da Hui just from hearing about their legend of being badass. There's been tons of surf songs, of course, but I thought it would be cool to write a surf song about a white guy from the mainland who's intimidated by Da Hui. It was as simple as that. And I wanted it to sound punk as hell. When we finished it, we were stoked, and we played it for our friends who surf, and they were pretty into it too. One of our friends knows Da Hui and played it for them, and they gave it the thumbs up. Since this friend of ours, Paul, makes movies, we asked if he could get them to make a video of the song with us. They agreed.

So it was on. We flew to Hawaii, paid for the video ourselves, and shot it in two days. The four Hui guys in the video are Johnny Boy Gomes, Kala Alexander, Sunny Garcia, and Makua Rothman. They're all world class surfers - in fact, Sunny won the world championship a couple years ago. You might also recognize Kala from movies like Blue Crush, and Makua surfed the biggest wave of the year last year (66 1/2 feet!). So these guys are the real deal. The video turned out great, thanks to Paul, and we sent it to surf shops and surf magazines. Which means, of course, that it's on the internet so I'm sure you can download the video and the song.

All in all, it was a great experience, and also inspiring to meet guys that are such awesome surfers. I'll tell webdude to put up the lyrics to this song so you guys can check out the full lyric scene. If some of it doesn't make sense, ask someone you know who speaks surf!

[Click here for Da Hui lyrics]

Dexter

YOU LUCKY BASTARD

Obie2trice
12-30-2004, 09:22 AM
There was some site a couple of years ago were people could discuss meanings of songs from the Offspring. But for the real meanings we only have a couple of Dexter on the Songs as posted before

mrQQ
12-30-2004, 09:39 AM
is that site gone? do you perhaps remember anything about it?

p.s. thanks everyone

Obie2trice
12-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah it was www.theoffspring.com but the elder version. I don`t think the new one has it

the_GoDdEsS
12-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Actually why ask for meanings? I know it's interesting too. But wouldn't it be cooler just to make a topic about it? Let's say you pick one album and explain what the songs mean to you. Because people interpret things differently.

Venezuelan_Nightmare
12-30-2004, 11:51 AM
is that site gone? do you perhaps remember anything about it?

p.s. thanks everyone
go to www.offspring.com and enter in music and when youŽll see a lyrics u will see a icons that mean is dexter on song :D

Revenanth
12-30-2004, 12:46 PM
i think that with the most of the songs you can just put your own memorys in it, that's why i like the offspring

amen

Venezuelan_Nightmare
12-30-2004, 12:51 PM
i think that with the most of the songs you can just put your own memorys in it, that's why i like the offspring

amen
mmmm :confused: :confused: amen ? i guess... xD :D

Manic subsidal
12-30-2004, 05:45 PM
I knew some site that had song meanings. I totally forgot the url. It had the word dirtymagic in it. Hm.. Oh well.

mrQQ
01-02-2005, 04:16 AM

amen

that's exactly why i love them too! cause i SO can relate to their songs!

but sometimes i just get curious what THEY meant to say in the songs :)
and then, there are some songs that i just totally dont understand :)

NIX-on-the-MAN
01-02-2005, 04:42 AM
that's exactly why i love them too! cause i SO can relate to their songs!

yeah, dido

robgreen
01-02-2005, 12:09 PM
My favourite meaning of a song is behind "Conspiracy of One." For anyone who doesn't get it, it was all about the threat of Nuclear Attacks, and the fact that one person could easily destroy us all, leaving no winners or losers. I think i read about it in an interview or one of those "Dexter on the Songs" things.

Its kinda relevant with recent events, what with all the so-called "Weapons of Mass Destruction" etc. I just love the lyrics, its pretty cleverly written and works so well with the music.

Well, thats me done.

Camilamazed
01-02-2005, 01:55 PM
All the songs must have a meaning but the coolest part of all is that we can have our own interpretation of each song.There really are some songs thats suits me perfectly.That's why I like Ofspring a lot.I must confess that the only song i knwo the meaning is Gone Away.The others I really don't know.But I try to figure out the meaning comparting with what I fell about it. :D