PDA

View Full Version : Splinter (from New Album thread)

DividingByZero71
04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
That's the kind of attitude that makes them release things like friggin' Splinter.

splinter was a great album. how come you dont like it?

ToddlerPunter
04-16-2007, 05:54 PM
i agree, it may have been short and had a couple of songs that lacked substance. But Neocon was a cool intro, The Noose and Longway Home were alot like how Americana had Have You Ever and Staring at the Sun, they set the tone really well, Hit That is fricken awesome, CGMHAY is awesome, Lightning Rod, i mean that album had alot of cool stuff on it. I dont think you have nething to complain about other then the length of it.

Kitten
04-16-2007, 05:57 PM
i agree, it may have been short and had a couple of songs that lacked substance. But Neocon was a cool intro, The Noose and Longway Home were alot like how Americana had Have You Ever and Staring at the Sun, they set the tone really well, Hit That is fricken awesome, CGMHAY is awesome, Lightning Rod, i mean that album had alot of cool stuff on it. I dont think you have nething to complain about other then the length of it.

Or the jokey kind of tracks that were thrown in there...

malibu43
04-16-2007, 06:17 PM
splinter was a great album. how come you dont like it?

Because it sucked.

Ok, I know that is not a good argument, but I'm tired of making the same argument over and over again on these boards, so I'm going to sum it up with "it sucked".

Venom Symbiote
04-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Because it sucked.

Pretty much.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are four good tunes on that disc. And those four songs kick all kinds of fucking ass, some of the best songs they've ever written.

Which is exactly what I'm talking about when I speak of "potential".

They can write shit that good?! Why don't they?

Because the other six tracks on that album were filth, trash, eskimo-ish, whatever else you want to call them.

0r4ng3
04-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Four? Do you mean The Noose, Long Way Home, Hit That, and Lightning Rod? Though honestly I figured I was the only one who liked all four (and maybe Da Hui, but I know that song kind of sucks).

Navampa
04-16-2007, 06:48 PM
I am going to explain why Splinter was a huge dissapointment and let down.

When the album came out, The Offspring had been a band for 15 years. Over those years, they have made some fanastic, powerful, emotional songs, and some off their earlier albums were musically exceptionall, even some on Americana.

Now, we get Splinter, a 10 song (Neocon and When You're In Prison Don't Count) record, which has almost nothing original on it whatsoever. It was one step up, and fifty steps down. It seems like The Offspring have evolved downward, which is absolutely terrible. The album is an insult to themselves and fans everywhere.

Even thought Splinter is not so bad, when you consider it was made by The Offspring, however, that makes it more than abysmal. It was just such a shock to see The Offspring stoop so low.

Venom Symbiote
04-16-2007, 08:48 PM
For clarification, 0r4ng3, I was referring to "The Noose", "Long Way Home" (this one isn't so good, but meh, it's tolerable), "Never Gonna Find Me", and "Lightning Rod".

But yes, "Hit That" is clever as fuck, too. Unlike the singles from the previous album.

jacknife737
04-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Even though i like Splinter, some of it just feels rushed. Like I think the band had a solid base for a great album, Neo-con was a good intro, and then the band had some decent tunes, The Noose, Long Way Home, Can't Get My Head Around You, Lightning Rod, even Spare Me the Details was kind of fun (and to a lesser extent Hit That). If the band took those songs and a little more time/effort by adding a couple more songs the band could have had a great album, but alas all we got was basically an Ep's worth of good songs.

Offspring-Junkie
04-17-2007, 01:29 AM
I like the songs:
The Noose -kick's ass
Hit That -cool song
(Can't Get My) Head Around You -good song
The Worst Hangover Ever -Hey, it's funny!
Never Gonna Find Me -kick's ass
Da Hui -that's punk rock!

DirtyYeso
04-17-2007, 05:27 AM
Neocon - cool intro
The Noose - great one 5/5
Long Way Home - very good 4/5
Hit That - pretty good 4/5
RAM - very good 4/5
CGMHAY - awesome 5/5
Worst Hangover - 3+1(fun)/5
Never Gonna Find Me - pretty much like LWH for me 4/5
Lightning Rod - great 5/5
Spare me the Details - very enjoyable 4/5
Da Hui - very good with cool solo 4/5
When Youre in prison - doesnt count -/-

that's how I see it. Yes I do think they should have added 2 or 3 songs more to it...

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-17-2007, 05:30 AM
Personally, I love Splinter as an album. The only let down i found was the lack of songs.

Iamstupid
04-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Splinter is a great album for me. You like or you don't like the way it sounds, that's all. It depends of you, if you have an open mind and a sense of humor with some songs like Worst Hangover Ever or Hit That, or even with Original Prankster or Pretty Fly. Like it has been said before, the only problem with Splinter is that there is a lack of songs maybe.

Gayman
04-17-2007, 07:22 AM
I like Spinter. I listened to it like two month through without listening to another songs from other album. It is alittle too short though.....

Wouli
04-17-2007, 07:23 AM
I like Splinter. It has good songs except "the worst hangover ever" which is,
I think, one of the worst song of the Offspring.

Sinister
04-17-2007, 07:24 AM
I happen to like The Worst Hangover ever since I can sort of relate once in a while.

Amiralanal
04-17-2007, 07:41 AM
I happen to like The Worst Hangover ever since I can sort of relate once in a while.

I only listen to that song when im hungover meself.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-17-2007, 07:44 AM
I only listen to that song when im hungover meself.

I second that, and the exception when i'm in a hyper mood.

II NOODLES II
04-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Hit That got boring for me. I think that is the worst song on Splinter.

RoxnRollBassist
04-17-2007, 03:01 PM
i like the albulm. I really like spare me the details, and the noose. Worst hangover is funny, something diffrent. Like the ppl above me have been saying, its just a lil short.

Venom Symbiote
04-17-2007, 04:42 PM
It's a shame people insist on using this tired "it's your opinion! Nyaaa! You're not open-minded like meee!" argument.

A real shame.

Because when the facts come into play, namely that Splinter eats exit-hole, that "opinion" bullshit gets thrown out the window.

Splinter sucks, deal with it Hebrews.

JohnnyNemesis
04-17-2007, 04:53 PM
You're all stupid people and I'm sick of this discussion but I'm no better than the next person so it's okay.

There were was only one horrible song on the album (The Worst Hangover Ever), and two that were somewhere between below average and average (Spare Me The Details and Race Against Myself). Every other song (which When You're In Prison was not, it was more of a skit/outro) on the album is a fucking masterpiece.

You can go ahead and disagree or argue, but those of you who choose to do that are most likely morons who actually thought Americana was a good album, so I will ignore you after I say my piece (which ceases complaints when I show it lololol dbl meaning + Bad Habit reference zomg lawlz old skoool = me).

Now, we get Splinter, a 10 song (Neocon and When You're In Prison Don't Count) record, which has almost nothing original on it whatsoever.

Neither did Americana, Conspiracy of One, or Splinter. Original is important, of course, but "good" is even more important.

HeadAroundU
04-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Dear JN, explain to me how is "Long way home" a masterpiece?

It's a song "constructed" of a cheesy guitar intro which reminded me of "way down the line" somehow, Josh's drum solo, "long way home" shouts and "Mota" drumbeat. Pure genius song. :D

It's still an enjoyable song and I like "like fragments of a broken mind, I splinter by my own design" lines.

Llamas
04-17-2007, 05:26 PM
You're all stupid people and I'm sick of this discussion but I'm no better than the next person so it's okay.
quoted so I don't have to say it myself.

There were was only one horrible song on the album (The Worst Hangover Ever), and two that were somewhere between below average and average (Spare Me The Details and Race Against Myself). Every other song (which When You're In Prison was not, it was more of a skit/outro) on the album is a fucking masterpiece.
It's true, Hangover was the only REALLY bad song on there. It's the only song I'd intentionally skip on the album. I thought Details, Race, and Da Hui were all very generic and kinda boring (though I do enjoy listening to Race sometimes). To me, though, there is nothing worth listening to after Lightning Rod. I love The Noose, Hit That, Head Around You, Never Gonna Find Me, and Lightning Rod... but I always turn the album off after track 9, because the last three tracks are so "meh" for me. That is the reason I personally rank this album so low. It's short, yes, but it's ultra short when you turn it off after 8 songs, plus you skip track 7, so it's really only 7 songs total.

You can go ahead and disagree or argue, but those of you who choose to do that are most likely morons who actually thought Americana was a good album, so I will ignore you after I say my piece (which ceases complaints when I show it lololol dbl meaning + Bad Habit reference zomg lawlz old skoool = me).
lol. But Americana is one of my favorite albums by them... what's so bad about it? I personally rank it above Splinter, CO1 and Smash.

Neither did Americana, Conspiracy of One, or Splinter. Original is important, of course, but "good" is even more important.
Americana had Pay the Man. And TKAA is pretty unique. Not like WHOA THAT'S SO DIFFERENT, but it's original.

Navampa
04-17-2007, 05:27 PM
This is hard for me to explain. To me, Splinter is the bad kind of good.

I actually enjoy listening to Splinter. I like how the songs sound, but they are totally unoriginal and don't really offer anything new, so it's a bad things. So it's good and bad, and since good and bad cross each other out, it comes to average.

This was apparent to me in "Long Way Home". The cool little drum part seems as an apology to how the rest of the song sounds totally generic.

Also, the riff in Lightning Rod is the same one in Dammit, I Changed Again. Even though it sounds awesome all disorted and clingy, it still leaves me with that kinda cheap feeling.

I'm sure some people feel like you do about Splinter, JohhnyNemises. But I know that many more people were dissapointed by it. Many fans felt juped and dissapointed by the release of Splinter.

HeadAroundU
04-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Navampa, don't fuckin' touch Lightning rod! It's a spectacular song. :p

Llamas
04-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Also, the riff in Lightning Rod is the same one in Dammit, I Changed Again. Even though it sounds awesome all disorted and clingy, it still leaves me with that kinda cheap feeling.
Erm, the riff in Dammit was nearly a rip-off of the riff in TKAA. Just sped up and in a different key. And the riff in lightning rod? Do you mean the one after the first chorus? Because that's not like in dammit at ALL.

malibu43
04-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Erm, the riff in Dammit was nearly a rip-off of the riff in TKAA. Just sped up and in a different key. And the riff in lightning rod? Do you mean the one after the first chorus? Because that's not like in dammit at ALL.

Those three riffs are not the same at all. Or at least there are no more similarities in those riffs than there are in all punk/pop punk riffs.

malibu43
04-17-2007, 06:31 PM
It depends of you, if you have an open mind and a sense of humor ...

I have an open mind and I have a sense of humor. That CD still sucks.

And for everyone that says "Worst Hangover Ever" is funny when you're hungover, you must be deaf. When I am hungover, the last thing I want to hear is Dexter's screechy voice singing crappy un-original lyrics that anyone who's ever been hungover could have written.

HeadAroundU
04-17-2007, 06:38 PM
I have an open mind and I have a sense of humor. That CD still sucks.
But still it has won the best alternative album, I can't remember where, in California?

Spud
04-17-2007, 07:24 PM
My Opinion

Great Songs - The Noose, Hit That, CGMHAY, Spare Me The Details

Good Songs - Lightning Rod, Never Gonna Find Me

Average Songs - Long Way Home, Race Against Myself, Da Hui

"Meh" Songs - The Worst Hangover Ever

Terrible Songs - None

Personally, as a whole, I think the album is average. Maybe 3.5 stars out of 5.

ZagmenO
04-17-2007, 07:26 PM
I only have a few complaints about Splinter, and here they are:

"When You're In Prison" shouldn't have been in there...at all.
Neocon would've been good if it had lead up to a longer song/was part of a longer song.
The album itself was too short.

I liked Splinter a lot, even "Worst Hangover," "Spare Me," "Da Hui," and all the other songs people seem to dislike. I think it's a very underrated album that contains some extremely great songs!!!

And besides, how can anyone hate "Da Hui?" That's what I wanna know!!!

Navampa
04-17-2007, 07:27 PM
And the riff in lightning rod? Do you mean the one after the first chorus? Because that's not like in dammit at ALL.

You kidding? They sound exactly alike...

Lupin
04-17-2007, 07:39 PM
If you put the first song from 'Splinter' 'Sing the Sorrow' & 'Empire Strikes First' you get a really groovy prog - punk song.

Splinter wasn't bad, but it didn't really make sense as an album. With the Offsprings newish stuff, i've always liked there unseriousness, but there best music is serious and in some places very metally - punk.
Splinter managed to 'finger' both those pies for me, but the seriousness thing had gone. I felt the same way as i did after American Idiot...i dont reguard Green Day as being an actual band due to them fucking with themselves. Howver if you fuck a band hard enough something will change.

With Green Day i hope after a good 'fucking' they all become mormons and then 'the next Creed' and with any luck just fuck off. But with the Offspring, i hope they do (actually...this time) an album that doesn't sound like it was made for fucking people with...cuz to be fair, how many people felt the 'Punky Rape Twinge' when listening to the 'Worst Hangover Ever'?. I will pay money fot an album that gives me the feeling Smash or Ixnay did.
________
DC MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://dc.dispensaries.org/)

ZagmenO
04-17-2007, 07:41 PM
'the next Creed'

Fucking fuck no...fuck.

Ninty Man
04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Fucking fuck no...fuck.

You made me laugh

JohnnyNemesis
04-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I do have to admit, that as much as I love Neocon as an intro, when I first heard it I couldn't help but think to myself "Is this an homage to or ripoff of AFI?"

MasoN
04-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Splinter was an OK album, some very good songs, even original like lightning rod, but meh, I dunno, as people said, it was kinda short and a bit rushed, aslo songs like worst hangover, cmon its not 98' anymore, grow up!!!! Overall i would give it 7/10. Also i would like to point out once again, that it is just the preference of taste. I personaly love C01, while many of you guys here consider it as a weakest album. And one more thing, I've been a fan since americana, and ive noticed that the longer they make the album the shittier it gets. I hope Im wrong, and the new album will prove that. Again, its my oppinion, so no offence to anyone who thinks otherwise.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Dude, if we didn't get Worst Hangover Ever we would have just got the same old shit from a previous album, and what's the point in that?

F@ BANKZ
04-18-2007, 01:36 AM
I'd have prefered that to a Poor Joke Song.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-18-2007, 03:30 AM
Stop getting wrapped up in your punk rawx shit for once and give the Offspring a chance to expand their range.

Navampa
04-18-2007, 04:56 AM
While some bands improve thier sound, The Offspring has stayed pretty much the same for their entire career, and that is getting reeeellllyyy old. I'd go as far as to say their earlier albums were far more complicated.

Splinter sounds like it would be a band's new album. It sounds like they have no intention to grow up.

malibu43
04-18-2007, 09:10 AM
You kidding? They sound exactly alike...

Do you play guitar? You must not. I can see that a first casual listen, they may sound similar. But they are different.

Llamas
04-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Do you play guitar? You must not. I can see that a first casual listen, they may sound similar. But they are different.

I don't see how they sound alike at all. I think the TKAA riff sounds more like the dammit riff.

ChickenChaser
04-18-2007, 10:17 AM
believe it or not Splinter remains my favourite album for The Offspring. i wrote a review for it on Sputnik Music but to sum it all up:

Neocon - Ignore

The Noose - Excellent
Long Way Home - Great
Hit That - Excellent
Race Against Myself - Good
Head Around You - Favourite Offspring song

Worst Hangover Ever - Ignore

Never Gonna Find Me - Excellent
Lightning Rod - Excellent
Spare Me The Details - Excellent
Da Hui - Great
WYIP - Actually alright to me

None of the other albums to me have as many 'excellent' songs as Splinter does, and all but two of the rest I will gladly listen to. I don't get all the hate on Splinter seeing as it does have some of The Offspring's all-time great songs for me, but oh well. I love it. Who cares about 'punk' and whatever genre The Offspring are nowadays, as long as it is good music (and not rap or something, heh) I will accept anything they do. Great cover artwork too.

malibu43
04-18-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't see how they sound alike at all. I think the TKAA riff sounds more like the dammit riff.

I totally agree with you. They are similar in the sense that they are both played on electric guitar and use strummed octaves. That's it. They are completely different riffs.

I was just saying someone with no music background could think they sound similar.

Navampa
04-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Both rifts have two stops in the middle, then go end it. They sound very, very much alike and I don't understand how you can't see that.

malibu43
04-18-2007, 02:51 PM
...Both rifts have two stops in the middle, then go end it...

Yes, I guess you're right then. All octave riffs that "have two stops in the middle, then end" are the same.

Very excellent use of musical terminology.

Navampa
04-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Both riffs do it in the exact same way, at the exact same time.

Listen to them both side by side.

DividingByZero71
04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
heres my opinion of splinter

neocon- pointless, 0/10

the noose- fucking kickes fucking major fucking ass!!!! 10/10

long way home- ok, not bad, not somthing i could listen to 800 times like the noose. 8/10

hit that- very immature, and the video to this song sucks ass. 2/10

race againset myself- um. wow. just wow. -6/10

cant get my head around you- this song is just ok. 7/10

worst hangover ever- very funny, and i love the sound of it. 10/10

never gonna find me- i love this song. i'v never heard a song like this by the offspring, and i love how it fades into "lightning rod". 10/10

lightning rod-my favorite offspring song. 10/10

Spare Me the Details- kinda reminded me of green day. and green day sucks 6/10

da hui- very fast, very catchy. 10/10

when your in prision- stupid. -38.5/10

VERY short album. thats why it isnt my favorite. but i still love this CD.

Llamas
04-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm sorry, but you seriously must know nothing about music.

Dammit I Changed Again riff:
e|--------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------|
D|3--6-5-6---6-5-6---6-5-6-8-6-5---3--|
A|---------4-------6-------------6------|
E|--------------------------------------|

Lightning Rod riff:
e|--------------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--13-12-12-10--13-12-12-13-13--13-12-12-13-13-12-13-12-10--|
D|--13-12-12-10--13-12-12-13-13--13-12-12-13-13-12-13-12-10--|
A|--11-10 10-8---11-10-10-11-11--11-10-10-11-11-10-11-10-8---|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------|

So, they're in completely different keys and played on different strings. Plus, the rhythms are VERY DIFFERENT. If you really think you're right, then this is pointless.

Grabbal
04-18-2007, 03:36 PM
You are so right!

Isn't the Dammit riff played with powerchords though??

Navampa
04-18-2007, 03:43 PM
You're taking it to much from a technical standpoint. I just think they sound alike.

*shrugs* Whatever.

Llamas
04-18-2007, 03:46 PM
You're taking it to much from a technical standpoint. I just think they sound alike.

*shrugs* Whatever.

What? Too technical? When you claim things like:

Both riffs do it in the exact same way, at the exact same time.

Listen to them both side by side.

you HAVE to be technical. There is nothing exact. Sure, they sound sort of similar. But exactly the same??? Seriously, that's just stupid.

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
You're getting way too worked up.

Venom Symbiote
04-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Ok, I just have to say, to all of you people preaching "Neocon"'s apparent awesomenes...go rape yourselves.

That track had a cool concept, but it amounted to nothing. If you take it as an "AFI style intro lololz" it's weak compared to the actual AFI ones. Which is sad.

Let's see them take that idea ALL THE FUCKIN' WAY and make a song out of it, dammit.

ygokazuki
04-18-2007, 05:20 PM
You are so right!

Isn't the Dammit riff played with powerchords though??octaves actually

Lupin
04-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Ok, I just have to say, to all of you people preaching "Neocon"'s apparent awesomenes...go rape yourselves.

That track had a cool concept, but it amounted to nothing. If you take it as an "AFI style intro lololz" it's weak compared to the actual AFI ones. Which is sad.

Let's see them take that idea ALL THE FUCKIN' WAY and make a song out of it, dammit.

here here!! Make a prog rock punk 'anthem!!'(jesus i cant believe i wrote that) out of Neocon, & the first song from 'sing the sorrow' & 'empire strikes first'...in fact it's gonna be my task 4 tmoro.
Check back in 24 hours for a medley beyond the sense of reason. For no reason other than, i have a day off and will be bored.
________
New jersey dispensary (http://newjersey.dispensaries.org/)

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2007, 05:44 PM

It's just a fucking INTRO. Gimme a break.

Also, they have a history of recycling old ideas into new songs: the stuff at the end of Smash eventually became "Change The World" for example. Give 'em time.

malibu43
04-18-2007, 06:44 PM

*shrugs* Whatever.

You are an idiot. They sound as much alike as a Mustang looks like a Camero.

DirtyYeso
04-18-2007, 09:12 PM

I play guitar and to me those riffs are pretty much the same. Like someone said before and Dammit its only faster and in a different key and the is a slight variation in the rhytm.

About the riff in Lightning Rod (the ending riff which is the same in some part i dont remember now) it has certain similarity to the other one since the notes are the same but the rhytm is different and if yu compare the songs they are very different frim each other. Not like TKAA and Dammit that are pretty much the same.

ruroken
04-18-2007, 09:34 PM
I hate intros. They are pointless. Completely unnecessary.
I only like The Noose, Hit That, and Lightning Rod. I used to like most of the album, but that was when it was the only cd I had.

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2007, 10:51 AM
I hate intros. They are pointless. Completely unnecessary.

That's because you have absolutely no attention span.

Llamas
04-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I LOVE Disclaimer, Neocon, and Time to Relax. I also like Welcome. Intro is lame, and that album shouldn't have had an intro, or they should've done something else. But I hope this album has a good intro. I like their intros. I love the little interjections they put on their albums, like "Hey that's something everyone can enjoy", and the joke songs that are well-done. I love Beheaded, Burn it Up, Don't Pick it Up, Intermission... they CAN do it. They've screwed up sometimes, but that doesn't mean they can't do it and shouldn't do it. I'd be sad if this album didn't have anything fun/humorous on it, didn't have an intro, etc. It's just part of it being an Offspring album.