PDA

View Full Version : Who's rocking their instruments?

T-6005
04-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I thought of this a few minutes ago, and figured it was a "why not suggest it?" idea.

Why don't we have a little improvisational contest? You know, you select a backing track, people pick the one they want to play along to, download it and improvise over it, then post it back up for others to enjoy or ridicule.

It wouldn't have to be limited to one backing track - have 2 or three, in whatever categories people wanted to do their thing in. Blues, Punk, Metal, Country, whatever.

I think it'd be a great little thing to do in this part of the forum. There are, of course, the obvious pitfalls - how to find proper backing tracks, what about people who don't play guitar or people who don't have the necessary software to even do this sort of simple audio editing?

I'm also aware that we've got people posting their own work all the time, and the "Post a video of you playing your instrument" sort of thread, but this would be more organized - a deadline or two, input from people, etc.

But anywho, it's just a rough idea right now - I'd like to know if anyone would be interested in either participating in this or help set it up.

I just think it'd be fun and a good addition to the Your Band section.

The Talking Pie
04-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Count me in.

neocon58
04-17-2007, 04:48 AM
I have some pretty decent blues backing tracks lying around somewhere. I'd be happy to upload them and have a crack at this improv thing too. Mind you I have to find the backing tracks first.

Sinister
04-17-2007, 05:33 AM
I suppose I could enter in a noncompetitive way, since in contest both previous posters would single-handedly kick my ass.

T-6005
04-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Glad you guys are all interested. This could be fun.

It hardly matters, Sinister. You want to enter, enter - don't decide to stay out of it because there are better out there. Either way you'll get feedback.

Personally, I thought I'd bring up the idea now, but I'm completely guitarless, so if we were to do this soon I wouldn't be able to participate. We could set a date of "in a few weeks" or something and then organize things.

Categories? Judges? How many backing tracks and of what type?

Sinister
04-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Ās for me, I'll make my own backing track consisting of a chord progression for minor pentatonic scale wankery.

T-6005
04-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Well see, that's the problem. We want to be able to compare. If everyone plays over their own different thing, it becomes a lot harder. If we can nail down 3 or 4 backing tracks we could agree to improvise over, it would make it a ton easier.

Or whatever, if the majority of people would rather write their own backing tracks too, that's fine - I just think it takes a lot of the improv out.

Sinister
04-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Ah. Well, any backing track over which I can play minor pentatonic will do, mainly because that's about as far as my improv goes. And it doesn't go too fast. I think I might make up for that with massive tone since I got quite an arsenal.

mrconeman
04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
They have the same general idea on a guitar forum I'm on, they do a monthly compitition and the contestants all vote for a top 5, giving points to each of the five (5 points for first place, 4 points for second etc etc) and obviously you can't vote for yourself. It's quite the popular thread over there, and its really cool to hear so many different interpretations and ideas over the backing tracks.

I'd definatly be up for it, except that my podxtlive needs a power lead, and I'm really not sure on how long it's going to take me to replace :(.

I fully support the idea for now though.

Sinister
04-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Oh, whoring equipment now are we ?

Schecter Diamond Series axe through Digitech : Turbo Flanger, Death Metal (will soon be replaced by a Metal Master) and Whammy, to a Crate GTX212 amp. Pretty fucking sweet, eh? And too bad the rest of the recording gear I'll have to use sucks.

T-6005
04-17-2007, 12:37 PM
We could give people a few weeks to fix and replace their equipment to their liking, as well as decide what backing tracks and such to use, and who gets to vote and how.

The Talking Pie
04-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm really beginning to look forward to this. I tried to set up something similar on these boards many a year ago, although no one wanted to do it when I started actual planning.

I think it might make sense to have a backing track per genre... everyone needs to be judged on their lead merits, which means you really need the same backing for everyone. The more backings to choose from the better, also, as some people might not feel comfortable/competent improvising in some genres.

Perhaps we could also have a non-improv bit? I'll give improvisation a shot, of course, but I think I could come up with better stuff if I could plan it a little.

Homer
04-17-2007, 05:17 PM
If it's punk, or just simply guitar work, I can do guitar, and maybe some soloing... lawl. But if you need drums, I can do anything. However, I don't have a mixer, or any recording device for the drums... so, I'm fucked... for now anyways.

coke_a_holic
04-17-2007, 05:32 PM
This sounds like a thoroughly exciting idea. Count me in!

What kind of chord progressions would you use? Just, like, simple I-IV-V nonsense? I mean, something like jazz would be much more difficult to solo over, and would require a much more difficult backing track than any of the others, in general. Plus, everyone would pick tru punx or whatever, which is lamesville. I dunno, it still sounds like fun to me, though.

neocon58
04-17-2007, 05:46 PM
cokeaholic, we're going to need to mainly focous on the lamesville ones, otherwise fuck all people will enter. I mean, we could work our way up to hard stuff but hardly any of us are going to be able to do it, methinks.

neocon58
04-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I'll jump right in and post some blues backing tracks. They're m4a files...If anybody wants to convert to a more compatible format go ahead. But these backing tracks are the best I've come across.

Freddie King-esque backing track in E:
http://download.yousendit.com/4388F34B741A9ED5

Detroit Blues in F:

http://download.yousendit.com/07B7DFD351C25CD6

T-6005
04-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Those are perfect, and should be considered, but I also think minor blues should be included. I've got a few backing tracks for those, let me think which are the best and I'll post them.

NDM1
04-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah definetly count me in on this. I agree with the idea of only 2 or 3 backing tracks to make it more of an even playing level.

Sinister
04-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Damn, end of semester sucks. Count me out of the contest after all, unless it lasts long enough to actually give me time to record. Am I allowed to use my Whammy pedal, or is that an unfair advantage ? (Shouldn't be. As far as skill goes I think pretty much everyone already entering leaves me so far back I don't even see the cloud of dust.)

neocon58
04-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Use whatever you want IMO.

I might have a minor blues track, I'll have a look.

mrconeman
04-19-2007, 11:18 AM
I'd say definitley allow any effects. There'd be no point forcing everyone to play straight clean, or only distortion.

H1T_That
04-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I fail at guitar, so won't compete. I will however watch this thread and judge everyones efforts fairly.

neocon58
04-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Can we make a thread poll after the entries are in, a poll that closes in a week from it being created, to judge the winner? (and maybe have some kind of option so people can't vote for themselves, if thats possible)?

mrconeman
04-19-2007, 07:04 PM
I think just having an official improvisation thread is worth thinking about instead of a competition. People could give feedback, and tips or whatever like usual, but without the added pressure of competing with others, some people already seem to not want to do it through lack of self confidence.

Competitions eventually would be finished too and the thread cluttered if a new one was to start or whatever.
Just a thought.

H1T_That
04-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I think just having an official improvisation thread is worth thinking about instead of a competition. People could give feedback, and tips or whatever like usual, but without the added pressure of competing with others, some people already seem to not want to do it through lack of self confidence.

Competitions eventually would be finished too and the thread cluttered if a new one was to start or whatever.
Just a thought.

I sort of agree. Without pressure people will be able to relax and maybe play better.

However a competition would still be cool.

Sinister
04-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Knowing how I'm probably the worst guitarist of all who actually play guitar here, I'm finally against the competition. But I want to show off my tone, so I'll post some stuff up anyway.

T-6005
04-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Can we make a thread poll after the entries are in, a poll that closes in a week from it being created, to judge the winner? (and maybe have some kind of option so people can't vote for themselves, if thats possible)?
This is a good idea and I fully support it - we should ask this subforum's mods if there's any way of doing that.

Or, failing that, we should just have an open poll so that we can tell if someone votes for them.

Just a thought.
This would also be a good idea - however, I still think a competition would be good motivation to get people to bring out their best stuff. We could simply have both.

Otherwise, I'm thinking we should make this contest in a few weeks, as we both need time to organize it and I need time to get a new guitar (I'm currently electric-less),

EDIT - I must have been hammered when I wrote that. Playstation was meatnt to be competition.

German Andres
04-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Same here, man. I think I will get it on a few weeks, so count with me.

Apathy
04-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Is there any way to record without buying something very expensive?

Perhaps just some program I can download? If this is a ridiculous question, just say so. I believe I've asked it before but I don't remember.

neocon58
04-22-2007, 06:50 PM
The simplest/cheapest way would be a shity PC mic against your guitar amp and a program like audacity, which can be set up for very basic multitracking.

If you want a half decent sound/setup, get an audio interface, which you can usually get bundled with some decent-enough audio software. I use a lexicon omega which can record 4 tracks at a time, which is good if you want to record drums (4 mics) at a time, or shit like that. Then there's guitar-port style interfaces with only 1 or 2 inputs at a time. I recomend getting one that has at least 1 guitar jack and 1 XLR (mic) input.

Depends what you're looking for.

Apathy
04-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Pc mic = Pc Speakers?

If not, I don't think my Pc has a mic.

neocon58
04-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Nah, just go and buy a pc mic from radioshack or wherever the fuck sells them over there. just a cheap mic to plug into the soundcard of your computer. Your soundcard will have a mic jack. just tell the dude at the store you want one of them. It's really cheap, like easily should be under 20 dollars australian.

Sinister
04-23-2007, 05:21 AM
bumpity bump. There's an even better way if your amp has an output jack. Find a wire that has one head that fits in there, and the other head fitting in the mike plug on your computer (I think that one would typically be smaller), and record with whatever you want to use. MS Sound Recorder, even.

neocon58
04-23-2007, 07:02 AM
bumpity bump. There's an even better way if your amp has an output jack. Find a wire that has one head that fits in there, and the other head fitting in the mike plug on your computer (I think that one would typically be smaller), and record with whatever you want to use. MS Sound Recorder, even.

Good point, if your amp has a line out/headphones jack get yourself a 1/4 > 1/2 jack so you can plug from the amp to the line in on the soundcard. this gives a pretty shit sound but probably no worse than if you were using a pc mic.

edit: just make sure you're running a line level signal (line out or headphones) into your soundcard. don't use a powered output (for example, an external speaker) cause you will blow your soundcard and possibly fuck your whole PC in the anus.

Harnum
05-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I'd like to try to get in on something like this. Sounds pretty cool.

Jebus
05-04-2007, 04:58 PM
You could use a regular speaker (or headphones) as a mic. No joke. Just plug it in the mic slot instead of speaker slot on your pc. Obviously, it won't sound as good, but I'm assuming this isn't a "most preffesional sounding" contest.

This contest sounds like a great idea. Sadly, I can't partake in it. I haven't ever attempted to write anything in my life, let alone improvise. Also, I haven't played guitar while (my calluses are gone =( ) . I'll be participating in the whole voting thing though or whatever you do. So good luck all of you.

T-6005
05-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I still want this competition to go on, but I still don't have an electric guitar and my connection is iffy. So if we could devote the next week or two to narrowing down backing tracks and finding appropriate judges before we actually start this, that would be great.

If you guys just want to go ahead and do it, then be my guest - I'll help in any way I can.

Bazza
05-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Knowing how I'm probably the worst guitarist of all who actually play guitar here

Ahem, I have a guitar, I play it at least once a month/year.

NDM1
05-11-2007, 01:38 PM
There are a lot of good backing tracks here. We should pick 2 or 3 from here and make them the official tracks.
http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list&cat=Jam%20Tracks

Harnum
05-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I need a damn mic though. There are other methods of getting this to work. I can record it as a video and then rip the audio from the video and make it an mp3.