PDA

View Full Version : Nitro Records Dying?

endlesst0m
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I've always been a big fan of Nitro Records and almost all of the bands on it, but apparently they're tanking. I recently received a Myspace message from Gunner McGrath, the ex-vocalist of Much The Same in which he states..."it turns out nitro is going down quick and probably wouldn't have put out another album for us." In addition to this, Nitro has had a streak of bad luck with some of the more recent bands they've signed. Rufio, The Letters Organize, and Don't Look Down have all broken up. And as previously mentioned, Much The Same recently lost thier singer. Also, Hit The Switch, one of the most recent bands to be signed, is apparently having loads of trouble finishing another album, according to a Myspace bulletin they posted. Edit: Now Crime in Stereo has left Nitro for a different label.

Just thought I'd share this, since I'm sure there's some Nitro fans on this bbs.

Llamas
04-18-2007, 01:57 PM
When did Much the Same lose their singer? I saw them like a month ago and they seemed to have a lot of chemistry and all that... weird.

edit: just looked them up on myspace. That's too bad. From Gunner's goodbye, though, it doesn't seem the fault of Nitro. The band seems to be staying with Nitro... it seems Gunner was just having a personal thing going on.

endlesst0m
04-18-2007, 01:58 PM
When did Much the Same lose their singer? I saw them like a month ago and they seemed to have a lot of chemistry and all that... weird.

It JUST happend, on April 14th I think. You can check out the website if you want more details...http://www.muchthesame.com/

Kitten
04-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I've always been a big fan of Nitro Records and almost all of the bands on it, but apparently they're tanking. I recently received a Myspace message from Gunner McGrath, the ex-vocalist of Much The Same in which he states..."it turns out nitro is going down quick and probably wouldn't have put out another album for us." In addition to this, Nitro has had a streak of bad luck with some of the more recent bands they've signed. Rufio, The Letters Organize, and Don't Look Down have all broken up. And as previously mentioned, Much The Same recently lost thier singer. Also, Hit The Switch, one of the most recent bands to be signed, is apparently having loads of trouble finishing another album, according to a Myspace bulletin they posted.

Just thought I'd share this, since I'm sure there's some Nitro fans on this bbs.

Hit The Switch are not having all that much trouble finishing the new album, just a couple of hitchs. Nothing to worry about.
Every record label goes through spells of bad luck, it's just one of those things.

0r4ng3
04-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Wasn't TSOL also on Nitro? They broke up recently. Then again, I'm sure most people had no idea they were still together.

Kitten
04-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Wasn't TSOL also on Nitro? They broke up recently. Then again, I'm sure most people had no idea they were still together.

TSOL didn't break up. Two members moved away, they are looking into touring for a few weeks soon.

endlesst0m
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Hit The Switch are not having all that much trouble finishing the new album, just a couple of hitchs.

How would you know?

Edit: Just found your Myspace somehow....you're friends with Matt Hawks, I see. Man, I'm creepy.

All About Eve
04-18-2007, 10:06 PM
At least there weren't any good bands still producing with them.

Kitten
04-19-2007, 06:04 AM
How would you know?

Edit: Just found your Myspace somehow....you're friends with Matt Hawks, I see. Man, I'm creepy.

You found my myspace page? That is kinda creepy.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see how you must have found it.

endlesst0m
04-19-2007, 06:37 AM
You found my myspace page? That is kinda creepy.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see how you must have found it.

Haha, yeah I found it checking out the Nitro Nation Myspace page, you were like the last to comment.

Kitten
04-19-2007, 06:38 AM
That or Hit The Switch's top friends.

bouncingcoles
04-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Hit The Switch are not having all that much trouble finishing the new album, just a couple of hitchs. Nothing to worry about.
Every record label goes through spells of bad luck, it's just one of those things.

i hope your right

Kitten
04-21-2007, 03:19 PM
I just got an email through their mailing list, and they are doing some shows and then going into the studio with David Schiffman to record the new album.

endlesst0m
04-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Sweet! I love Hit the Switch. I think there's some room for improvement too, but I think they have a lot of potential, which is why I'm so excited about thier next CD.

StayInTheHouseCarl
04-23-2007, 06:35 PM
just announced, much the same has called it quits...
check punknews.org

endlesst0m
04-23-2007, 10:03 PM
That good ol' 90's punk sound that I love just ain't what's selling these days. I hope Dexter can sign a few really awesome bands soon.

Jakebert
04-24-2007, 04:06 AM
The problem is the same problem Adeline and Lookout! had: most of the bands being signed all sound the same, so it gets kind of dull after a while. It's not that the bands themselves are bad, it's just that they aren't standouts either. So people kind of forget the label even exists.

Little_Miss_1565
04-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Nitro of the last 5-7 years hasn't made me go "oh holy shit that is amazing" like Nitro circa the Deep Thoughts comp did--except for theSTART's album, but now they're gone from Nitro. i'd like to see Nitro start branching out from punk, kind of like how Metropolis started branching out from industrial (and signed theSTART and the Electric Six). No label out there right now can really afford (literally) to stick to only one genre. Sure, there's label branding to think about, but there's an ethos that crosses genres...look at Mute Records in the US being the home of Jose Gonzales as well as M83, Nitzer Ebb and Paul Van Dyk--there's a sort of darkness to all of them.

bouncingcoles
04-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Crime In Stereo has signed to Bridge Nine Records leaving Nitro. ya this isnt good for nitro at all.

bouncingcoles
04-24-2007, 06:46 PM
atleast they still have a wilhelm scream.

endlesst0m
04-24-2007, 10:13 PM
atleast they still have a wilhelm scream.

Yeah right, they'll probably find a new label too. Nitro is over. I'm sure they'll disband soon....there's only like 3 active bands on it.

Kitten
04-25-2007, 01:00 AM
Yeah right, they'll probably find a new label too. Nitro is over. I'm sure they'll disband soon....there's only like 3 active bands on it.

Nitro isn't going anywhere. I doubt that Crime In Stereo had more than an album in their contract.
Honestly, this could be a good chance for Nitro to sign up some new bands.
And AWS seem to be pretty happy where they are, sorry.

Little_Miss_1565
04-25-2007, 08:33 AM

Now that is just premature. Rosters change all the time. There could be all kind of new singings, as like Kitten said this is the perfect time for that.

endlesst0m
04-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah true, I was partly drunk when I said that. But it really does feel like things are looking bad. I wonder what kind of bands they'll sign next...

Question: Does Dexter actually sign or approve the bands on the label?