PDA

View Full Version : Static-X Cannibal

H1T_That
04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Anyone who is into Static-X should seriously check this album out. Its amazingly good. Having said that, a few of the songs sound slightly simmilar, but the fact that its all simmilar ingenious makes up for that.

Key tracks, Cannibal, Forty Ways, Destroyer, No Submission.

Llamas
04-27-2007, 11:03 AM
New album??? omg can you pleeeeease upload it for me??

is it as good as start a war?

H1T_That
04-27-2007, 11:06 AM
New album??? omg can you pleeeeease upload it for me??

is it as good as start a war?

I'm off out in a sec, but i'll happily do it when i get back (2hours ish).

I'd say its a more solid album, with all the songs being good. Wheras in my opinion, Start a War had amazing songs (I'm The One, Skinnyman and I Want To Fucking Break It) and also a few poor songs (Just In Case, Night Terrors, Brainfog.)

Llamas
04-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm off out in a sec, but i'll happily do it when i get back (2hours ish).

I'd say its a more solid album, with all the songs being good. Wheras in my opinion, Start a War had amazing songs (I'm The One, Skinnyman and I Want To Fucking Break It) and also a few poor songs (Just In Case, Night Terrors, Brainfog.)

Ah cool. I really liked Just in Case, because I really enjoy it when they branch out and try new stuff. The reason I didn't really care for Machine was because very few songs stood out to me. I think Start a War is my favorite album, followed by Shadow Zone and Wisconsin Death Trip tied for second. Then Between Beneath Beyond, though it wasn't an actual album... had great songs.

I liked Start a War a lot because they did a great job of combining the melodies and musically well done stuff from Shadow Zone, but went back to the screaming and fun stuff, too. Plus having a real drummer (and quite a good one, too) added a lot of freshness to the sound that the drumloop kinda removed. Oh, and Koichi Fukada totally pwns Tripp Eisen (and not just cause Eisen is a sick paedophile) in both guitaring and programming.

Anyway, thanks for uploading it later... it's nice to have another Static X fan here.

H1T_That
04-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Ah cool. I really liked Just in Case, because I really enjoy it when they branch out and try new stuff. The reason I didn't really care for Machine was because very few songs stood out to me. I think Start a War is my favorite album, followed by Shadow Zone and Wisconsin Death Trip tied for second. Then Between Beneath Beyond, though it wasn't an actual album... had great songs.

I liked Start a War a lot because they did a great job of combining the melodies and musically well done stuff from Shadow Zone, but went back to the screaming and fun stuff, too. Plus having a real drummer (and quite a good one, too) added a lot of freshness to the sound that the drumloop kinda removed. Oh, and Koichi Fukada totally pwns Tripp Eisen (and not just cause Eisen is a sick paedophile) in both guitaring and programming.

Anyway, thanks for uploading it later... it's nice to have another Static X fan here.

I'd say Shadow Zone is my personal favourite. Kill Your Idols being my favourite song by them.

I totally agree with the having a drummer thing. The drum machine thing sounded cool at times but it would have totally ruined the follow up music if they kept it.

I agree with the Fukada (lolz, fuk) thing too, he's a great guittarist. I think getting rid of Eisen gave them a better image too, seen as he comes across as a gothic hardcore fag. Saying that though, Koichi looks like he belongs in Placebo or something with his semi-asian persona and curtains hair.

Professor Chaos
04-27-2007, 11:32 AM
I found this link to it on another forum:

http://rapidshare.com/files/23049607/statisches_icks.rar

Password:4gulli

Llamas
04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Professor Chaos: oh god THANK YOU. *Listening now*

HIT THAT: Kill Your Idols is one of the best songs on that album. I'd have to listen to it again to remember which ones I liked the most. The problem with that album is that all the titles are so similar that I can't keep them straight unless I listen to them. I *think* The Only is my favorite on there. I'll get back to you.

Yeah, there wasn't anything better about Eisen than Fukada. He always kinda pissed me off and creeped me out, so I wasn't really *too* shocked that he raped little girls.

Static X is a band of misfits, haha. They all look like they should be in different bands. When I see Wayne in videos, he seems like such a nerdy, sweet guy. It really seems so unsuitable that he does this kind of music. And Nick seems like the only one who's remotely outgoing. I dunno, they're just all so odd. :P

Llamas
04-27-2007, 11:58 AM
BTY: Destroyer is really good.

That's my only opinion so far.

Oh, and the guitar work is better on this album than any of the others.

H1T_That
04-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Glad you got a hold of it, i wasn't looking forward to uploading it. I'm pretty tired.

Let me know more of your thoughts when you've had a good listen.

ninthlayer
04-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Oh man, like back in 2001?

Llamas
04-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Okay... well I'm bored so I'm gonna review it.

Cannibal is average. Not one of their best. 7/10

I like No Submission, even though it's pretty generic for them. The guitar solo is neat. 8/10

Behemoth has an awesome intro... I love the feel and atmosphere of it. The instruments layer well into the song. It's a fairly simple song, but it works well. I actually really like the electronic sounding section in this song. It fits really well, but provides a cool break. 9/10

Chemical Logic is kinda lame. Sounds like one of those Static X songs that will blur and I won't ever be able to distinguish. It drags on, too. The electronic part is really lame and boring. 4/10

I love Destroyer. Probably my favorite song on the album. The chorus is really sweet. They worked a good level of the electronics into this one without it being boring. 9.5/10

There's a good rhythm in Forty Ways. It's kind of repetitive, though. And I mean moreso than usual. 7/10

Chroma-matic is boring. 5/10

Cuts You Up got me going. It's got a great beat and sound. The solo is really nice, too. 9/10

Another boring blur song... Reptile. Meh. It still isn't as bad as Chemical Logic, though, cause it's like half as long, and the solo is alright. 6/10

Electric Pulse is about as boring as Reptile. 6/10

The intro to Goat is awesome. The verse sounds exactly like a slowed down version of "Wisconsin Death Trip". Check it out:
What's wrong
don't you sing dong ding dong
push it on the phoney
hook it up and ride away

Freak out
Don't you take the cop out
Chain reactor touch down
Take a drum and tie it down

Same rhythm. Lame. It's okay, though. Kinda boring. 7/10

Finally, we have Team Hate. Not one of the best. Kinda too slow and boring. 6/10

In conclusion, the only album I like this more than is Machine. That's the only other Static X album I felt this unenthusiastic about about upon first few listens. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for Static X? But I totally am missing the excitement I felt when I first heard Shadow Zone or Start a War. The guitar solos are the saving grace of this album. But it seems they've completely ditched the melodious style of Shadow Zone, that which made Start a War their most diverse album... and went back to the same style of the first two albums. It worked for Death Trip, but it's old now. They're better with Wayne singing and screaming. I'm glad Fukada let loose with the guitar solos, and there are a few kick ass songs on here... but overall, there is less pure win on here than on the last two albums. :(

I'd like to hear more about what you think, hit that.

H1T_That
04-28-2007, 03:57 AM
I'll review half now, and half later.

Cannibal's intro, for me is a great way to get you going for this album. It's heavy, agressive and highly enjoyable. I also particularly like the electronic tick tock style sound thats played over the top of the first minute or so. I was thoroughly dissapointed with the break down section of the song, where he kinda whispers. I was then hoping the song would burst into something spectacular for the outro, yet it was just a simmilar sounding thing to the intro.

No Submission's drums and electronics are amazing, but the chorus lets this song down i feel. Its the kind of song for me that should have an explosive chorus, and to be honest it's hard to distingusih there is actually a chorus there. As for the solo, its great and highly impressive, however i feel its a little simmilar to the one in Cannibal.

Behemoth, once again has spectacular electronics and drums, however i have mixed feelings on the song as a whole, as the middle part sounds like a totally different song. Even though i know its coming i still think, oh this is the start of the next song, and then it jumps back into behemoth. It lacks flow as a song i feel.

I really enjoy the speed and the way the singing has electronic robotic effects over it in the into and chorus in Chemical Logic. This song does though, as you sy somewhat blur and has no real replay-ability factor.

Destroyer reamins a firm favourite of mine. Although i usually prefer faster heavier songs, this song is beautifully written. The guitars and the singing fit perfectly with each other. The solo is also rather amazing. Its slow and melodic, whilst at the same time being interesting.

I'll do the other tracks later, when i have another chance to give Team Hate and Goat more of a listen. So far they aremy least favourites, and haven't yet formed a solid opinion on them.

bouncingcoles
04-28-2007, 03:04 PM
i cant believe this band is still around

H1T_That
04-28-2007, 03:36 PM
i cant believe this band is still around

Elaborate please.

SyLeS
04-28-2007, 03:39 PM
I really like this new album it reminds me a lot of WDT, which is probably my favorite album by them.

Llamas
04-28-2007, 03:42 PM
I recently noticed that there's no Otsego song on here. I'm really glad about that. They really started going downhill... Otsego Amigo was soooo lame. But funny. Otsegolation and Otsegolectric were pretty decent, but not good enough to have one on every album.

bd007h
04-28-2007, 04:44 PM
I've listen to a bit of it and it's got some good songs, but it's not as good as Wisconsin Death Trip or The Shadow Zone.

Llamas
04-28-2007, 05:20 PM
I've listen to a bit of it and it's got some good songs, but it's not as good as Wisconsin Death Trip, Shadow Zone or Start a War.

*fixed. Now 100% accurate. :)

SyLeS
04-28-2007, 05:50 PM
I wanna get a new static x album, which one would you guys recommend?

Llamas
04-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Which ones do you already have?

SyLeS
04-28-2007, 06:05 PM
well ive listened to a lot of the songs but i dont own many albums by them i only have WDT and Cannibal

Llamas
04-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Okay. Get Shadow Zone. It's the most different from the others. Basically, it's like this:

If you want the album that's the most similar to the two you have, get Machine (but it's my least favorite album).

If you want the album that's the most different, get Shadow Zone.

If you want, in my opinion, their best album, get Start a War. It's the most diverse. As in, the two you have and Machine are pretty much just screaming, Shadow Zone has a lot of Wayne singing, and Start a War combines the two.

I'd really recommend Shadow Zone, though. It's really a great album.

SyLeS
04-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Cool, i think ill get shadow zone the way you described it makes it sound really cool to me. Thanks man :D

bd007h
04-28-2007, 07:43 PM
The Shadow Zone is probably the most melodic out of their albums

H1T_That
04-29-2007, 04:14 AM
Definatley get either Shadow Zone or Start A War.

Llamas
04-29-2007, 04:35 AM
The Shadow Zone is probably the most melodic out of their albums

Dude, it's Shadow Zone. There's no "the". I even edited out of your last post when I quoted it.

bd007h
04-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Dude, it's Shadow Zone. There's no "the". I even edited out of your last post when I quoted it.

Whatever, my mistake

Tomo
05-12-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't like Cannibal that much, Wayne is only screaming all the time, no singing. :( I guess I'll stick to the good old Shadow Zone.

Venom Symbiote
05-12-2007, 07:01 PM
It's really not my usual kind of music, but it must be said that Static-X have always been fucking genius.