PDA

View Full Version : Mike and his Laptop

coke_a_holic
05-13-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm working on musacks. I've got a first-rendition of a song up, with guitar, bass, drums, shoddy piano work (I don't own a real piano, I had to use the on-screen piano with keys coordinated with computer keys; it was fucking terrible), and a buckethead impersonation. I have already redone the lead guitar, made the bass louder, and requested a real MIDI Keyboard from a friend of mine.

I'll still give the link now, though, because otherwise, I have no incentive to work on the song and the 2 other songs I've already begun writing. Give feedback on my one song (full title: I Really Do Prefer All Of My Bridges Burned Or Otherwise Destroyed, myspace shortened title: I Like All My Bridges Burned), but please NOT pertaining to the piano work, which was beyond my own ability to fix. There aren't any vocals yet because there aren't any lyrics yet and I cough every time I try to speak. Thank you, thank you!

http://www.myspace.com/theincompl

Bazza
05-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Don't suppose you could post a link?

coke_a_holic
05-14-2007, 12:55 PM
.......Fuck (www.myspace.com/mikeisacooldude).

Bazza
05-14-2007, 12:55 PM
.......Fuck.

Lol, I bet you were wondering why no one responded...

coke_a_holic
05-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Lol, I bet you were wondering why no one responded...

Nah, that's expected.

Bazza
05-14-2007, 01:02 PM
That's pretty cool, definitely works for me. I'm just wondering whether it actually needs any vocals? Because it sounds pretty cool as an instrumental.

coke_a_holic
05-14-2007, 01:21 PM
That's pretty cool, definitely works for me. I'm just wondering whether it actually needs any vocals? Because it sounds pretty cool as an instrumental.
Hm, if I leave it as an instrumental, I'll probably re-record a shorter version with a stronger melodic point. I'm glad you liked it, though! Thanks!

NDM1
05-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Wow yeah i really like it. The guitar solos could use a little bit more work, they dont seem like they flow with the rest of the song very well. They are pretty interesting on their own but not as easy to listen to as everything else in the song but if thats what your going for all for it. Also i think the drums should be brought up a little more in the mix they were hard to hear at times. Overall very cool stuff i'd love to hear some more soon.

coke_a_holic
05-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I was considering making the drums a little louder and have just done so on v.2.0. But yeah, the 2nd solo at the end was basically when I made a mistake and decided to just go with it and play nothing. I've already gotten rid of it on the 2nd version. I'm glad you liked it, too, I'm going to try and update at least weekly because my friend is demanding that I make a cd's worth of music by the end of the summer, so the pressure is on.

Jebus
05-14-2007, 08:36 PM
This is my favorite song out of the ones you posted so far. Melodies are nice. Main solos are good. Not much to complain about, except I thought the dissonant runs at the end were unnecessary. I'm all for that type of stuff but I don't think you pull it off. It just didn't fit. Also, it sounded a bit sloppy. Maybe it was just your tone being to "weak sounding" for that type buckethead thing you were going for.

coke_a_holic
05-14-2007, 08:47 PM
This is my favorite song out of the ones you posted so far. Melodies are nice. Main solos are good. Not much to complain about, except I thought the dissonant runs at the end were unnecessary. I'm all for that type of stuff but I don't think you pull it off. It just didn't fit. Also, it sounded a bit sloppy. Maybe it was just your tone being to "weak sounding" for that type buckethead thing you were going for.
Gah, last time: It sprung from a mistake, and I didn't feel like stopping the recording after doing so well with it until that point. It was in no way meant to be in the final version, I just thought it sounded funny with the rest of the song. But yeah, thanks, much appreciated feedback from all of yalls!

Homer
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Thought it was pretty good, but, as everyone has already said, the solos don't really match up with the rest of the song, but are still good nonetheless. I also though it dragged on a bit, and it should be shorter, unless there is going to be vocals for it. So yeah, good stuff.

coke_a_holic
05-15-2007, 10:02 PM
New version of Burned Bridges is up! It's got a new stupid-8-bit-video-game intro thing (which, like the piano part, refused to cooperate with me and came out jumpy), new lead guitar (without stupid buckethead stuff), a new secondary rhythm guitar (it lacks distortion!), and I shortened the song. Plus, the levels are entirely different, I raised drums and bass, while lowering other things, and whatnot. Lyrics aren't done yet, and I'm still sick, so vocals will not be added until a later date.

Thanks, everyone for listening! It's greatly, greatly appreciated, really! I promise a new song will be put up as soon as I finish this one, because I had already started working on Song 2 before Song 1 was even recorded.

EDIT: I'm not done with you yet, though, you have to keep telling me my mistakes so I can fix them before I finish the song. Anything bothering you, out with it. I want it to rawk so that all of my other songs can be mediocre and this one can completely destroy lives. Thanks again, for the bazillionth time.

Homer
05-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Well, I'm listening to it as I type this, and the first couple of things that pop into my head is that the rhythm guitars could be a bit quieter (just a bit), and that the second rhythm guitar needs to either have more distortion or just be more quieter than the first rhythm guitar. Also, one more thing I hear is that some parts it gets a little sloppy. Other than that, it's better than the first version you put up, and it's a great song.

P.S.
More songs. Now.

coke_a_holic
05-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Well, I'm listening to it as I type this, and the first couple of things that pop into my head is that the rhythm guitars could be a bit quieter (just a bit), and that the second rhythm guitar needs to either have more distortion or just be more quieter than the first rhythm guitar. Also, one more thing I hear is that some parts it gets a little sloppy. Other than that, it's better than the first version you put up, and it's a great song.

P.S.
More songs. Now.hahaha, I love how you're on the same frequency as me. I redid all the clean rhythm today and fixed up the second distorted guitar and its solo. More songs as soon as this one's done, aka next month. I've already got 2 others with music written but not recorded. Also, a kid is coming over with a saxophone this weekend, so I'm gonna ask him to add a bit.

Also, we're doing a world tour together. I'll actually be in Winnipeg this August because I'm going canoing in your lake.

Apathy
05-17-2007, 08:53 PM
I actually like this. I'm also impressed by how you can play every single instrument at least decently.

I'm going to go ahead and give this a 'Right On, Man!'

Right On, Man!

coke_a_holic
05-17-2007, 09:22 PM
To be fair, I used a drum machine. Thanks, though, I'm glad you liked it!

New version of the song to be posted tomorrow, recording of a cover of a Bomb The Music Industry! song to be posted when I can stop coughing for long enough to sing. Thanks for the support, guysss.

EDIT: LOL JK!!! I promise I'll finish this song before the end of the month of May and I'll have at least 2 more up by the end of June.

Homer
05-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Also, we're doing a world tour together. I'll actually be in Winnipeg this August because I'm going canoing in your lake.

Really? Awesome. In that case, I could actually get a show together. If you're serious about doing a show, then just give me the word, and I can make it happen. Though, it would be a small show, unless I talk to some other bands... What days in August will you be in Winnipeg?

coke_a_holic
05-17-2007, 09:58 PM
I won't have time to do a show, haha, I wish I could though! That would be really cool. I'll be there August 1 through... August 10, or something like that. It's part of a whole camp thing, where we basically canoe around a lake for about a week. You may have heard of it: Northern Tier, is the name of the program. Yeah, it's part of Boy Scouts, I'm just that punkrawk. =(

lololo mi bf makez hawtz musik!!!
not as hawt az u lollool

Homer
05-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Ah, that sucks. Because I was just going to say, there's a Supernova Battle Of The Bands show on August 10th, and you can sign up just on teh internets. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to start planning that world tour.

coke_a_holic
05-25-2007, 01:20 AM
Second to last version of IRDPMBBOOD (shortened to Burned Bridges as far as I care to type) is up.

Vocals/lyrics are all that's left, I guess. Before the vocals are done, I might record a few more instrumental tracks, then I'll put vocals on all of them when I can.

MAJOR CHANGES:
-New synth intro ON A REAL SYNTHESIZER
-New piano part ON A REAL SYNTHESIZER WHICH SOUNDS LIKE A REAL PIANO
-New Lead part
-New ending
-Wah in background
-Different levels for everything
-I dunno, I think I moved the Left/Right side thing around on some voices

www.myspace.com/mikeisacooldude

Once again, any sort of criticism is greatly appreciated. Go ahead and tell me whatever about the song. If it's awesome, awful, lacks cowbell, or is too digital and needs an actual band rather than a laptop, go ahead and mention it here. Or if you have any questions, you can voice them here. I'll answer pretty much anything because I crave attention.

Homer
05-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Listened to the new song, and all the sound levels are good. But, I don't think the synth should be in there, it's a bit out of place. Other than that, it keeps getting better.

I also don't know how I feel about the wah... a little funkay.

nieh
06-02-2007, 09:17 AM
I listened to this like 2 weeks ago but never commented because I'm lazy. I just listened to the new version now. It's good stuff but I kind of agree with Homer on some things though. Some of the synths don't really fit (mostly the part at the very beginning, when it shifts from the synth part to the full-song thing, but it sounds better when you go back into it at the end). I also think the wah part sounds a little unnecessary. I think the lead part should actually be made just a little louder as it gets a little muffled around 2:10-2:30 (I don't know the actual seconds unfortunately because the myspace player is stupid and only shows as 02:1 for everything from 2:10 to 2:19). Other than that it's pretty decent.

T-6005
06-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Alright - also kind of meh.

It's a good starting point, but I think it's far too repetitive. I enjoyed the synth far more than the piano part - I get why you used it, but pianos used like that so often sound bland more than anything. The little guitar solo was fairly good, although it did sound like you were out of time a few times.

Quite frankly, I just ended up waiting for the song to progress. I liked the basic idea behind it and your mixing was quite good for the most part. The synth starts out very exciting in the beginning of the song and then all of a sudden dives into the repetition, which is sort of a letdown. It fits very well at the end of the song - gives it a really effective buildup feeling.

Overall, a very good starting point. You seem to know how to make sounds come out. I look forward to seeing the rest of the stuff you'll put out.

coke_a_holic
06-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys; I plan on addressing everything, basically, and had already resolved to fix some of them a little after putting this one up.

Homer: the synth is there for almost no reason, but I really didn't want to open it with the actual song; it felt weird.

Josh: The wah is unnecessary, but I mean, it adds a little depth to the triads (which kinda bored me when they were by themselves). I wanted to have a clean part to brighten the sound up, and decided on the wah thing rather than just playing along with it. The lead part will be entirely redone when I can find some time.

Thi: When lyrics get added, I'm hoping the repetition will be no more. I wanted to add a bridge, but couldn't come up with anything. Now that I've got the entire drums tracked out and everything, though, it would be a real pain to try and move everything around to make a bridge. I felt the exact same way when I re-listened to it today; it seemed to develop slowly and then never hit that point where it clicked until the very end. I dunno, maybe I'll re-record it and make a bridge on it or something. Then again, I might just leave it and record some of the other songs with that in mind.

I definitely appreciate everyone's feedback; thank you VERY much!

coke_a_holic
07-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Alright, a new song is up with a fake brass part that I will get done with a real brass section in the upcoming few weeks.

Still no vocals on either track. Sorry, guys, you can't hear me make a complete ass of myself quite yet.

But yeah, new song, there are some major tempo problems that occur because of me not having a midi cable yet, but I am going to fix those soon. I felt like I've abandoned everyone for about 2 months and figure I might as well throw something at you guys, even if there are a few mistakes in it.

Remember, the brass part's going to be fixed up with a full brass section, so don't worry about how awful it sounds.

Listen, yell at my inability to properly keep the tempo, and find other things that I should fix, because I only want awesomeness, nothing less.

www.myspace.com/mikeisacooldude

thank you thank you thank you.

coke_a_holic
07-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Uh, bump.

I have another new song that is on it's way up right now. It's entitled Sleep Is For The Rich, but I have yet to fully name any of the songs I have up yet. While I don't have vocals on any of the songs yet, I do now understand how I will be recording the vocals for the songs.

Since my last update, which was notably unnoticed, I have acquired a band instead of just doing everything by myself. They aren't on the recordings yet, but by the end of August, I will have 5 songs with a cello, a tenor sax, an alto sax, a trumpet, and possibly a baritone sax accompanying me. I will get rid of my digital brass section.

Also, this song totally has a hardcore/screamo breakdown. Fuckin' rawk. I think I like The Photosphere Is In Sight, But The End Is Not more, but it's hard to pick because it's like deciding which child you love more. This one doesn't have any synth at all, surprisingly.

www.myspace.com/mikeandtheincompl

Homer
07-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Oh, I promised myself that I would comment on the Photosphere, but I forgot and I even listened to it today, too. But now there's another song, yeesh, I've got to get to work.

The Photosphere Is In Sight: I think I like this one the most. Maybe because it's got more distortion (rawk!), or maybe because it reminds me of a TV show theme song. I don't know. Just get the tempo issues worked out, and it'll be fine.

Sleep Is For The Rich: One thing I just need to say is... sloppy. It's a drummer's nightmare, I tells ya! It sounds pretty decent, especially at the bridge, however, that's just it. I think you need to incorporate some more elements of the second half of the song (the distortion, for the most part) into the first half. Though, you don't have to go all out and turn everything distortion.

coke_a_holic
07-29-2007, 12:44 AM
The second half of Sleep Is For the Rich was the first part I wrote. I had trouble making the part in 6/8 work when I was messing with Garageband, so I decided to not bother with the song, then when I started the first half of the song, I accidentally included the second half (which was the original song, but like, 6 months old) and thought it sounded nifty. So basically, the reason the 2nd half sounds better is because it's been written and re-written a billion times since December or January.

I'm basically going to tear parts of the song out until I get a real horn section. The trumpet part makes it too busy-sounding. Instead, I'll probably just keep a few parts where the trumpet plays.

Thanks! This is useful stuff; I'm in such a rush to finish stuff that I oftentimes overlook that not everyone listens to music that causes brain damage.

EDIT: and I also feel bad about not putting at least a little synth in the song. I like using synthesizers. A lot.

Homer
07-29-2007, 03:13 AM
Pshh! Synth isn't needed...

*begins creating What's For Dinner? thread*

NDM1
08-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Hmmm my favorite song on your myspace is probably The Photosphere is...Horray for synths! They are so righteous. There are a couple timing issues throughout the song but i like your general idea for the song. Nothing that recording to a metronome couldn't easily fix, though. The little slapping section towards the end was also a nice surprise. If you have any spare time check out my band, we just recorded one of our originals on our own. the link is in my sig.

coke_a_holic
08-17-2007, 03:10 AM
New song is the title song is called Everything Is Ruined Forever. I reuploaded all of the songs because I've decided where all of them are going to be on an EP, plus I needed to put in the album name, new band name, and all that. So yeah.

THIS SONG HAS VOCALS OMGOMGOMG!!! I don't particularly like my voice, but I took a good friend of mine's advice and wrote lyrics while writing the music (I was having trouble making up lyrics to go with Photosphere), so I had to do it. I also have the re-worked version of Sleep Is For The Rich with a vibraphone and less busy-feeling trumpets.

The tracklist, I guess, for the cd (and full song titles) is:

1. The Photosphere Is In Sight, But The End Is Not
2. I Like My Bridges Burned Or Otherwise Destroyed
3. Sleep Is For The Rich
4. Gjhshiuhdgiuhsduihsdiughsdgiushdgl;g;dglkhjsd;jhas fgf3r58i23u5jh (to be recorded next week)
5. Everything Is Ruined Forever

Please listen and tell me what you think! Thanks!

www.myspace.com/mikeandtheincompl

Homer
08-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Dude, your new shit sucks! It's terrible! Why would anyone spend time listening to this crap?!

I'd buy it, though.

coke_a_holic
09-29-2007, 06:11 PM
I know, everyone got really excited when they thought I had new music up.

Well, I don't. Big surprise.

BUT, I do have 5 or 6 songs that will be done (except for the fact that they will have no brass) by the end of this week. Once they're done, I have horn parts arranged to be recorded by the end of the month.

Also, I've decided to sell out and get a real drummer. The drum machine/my awful tempo-keeping is just... no. So that'll happen before I record brass.

Homer
09-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Why don't you just use Fruity Loops for the drums?

coke_a_holic
09-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Because I can't find anyone that has it for mac. =[

Homer
09-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Oh yeah, that's right. You're one of them.

Sham
09-30-2007, 11:53 AM
I really like this stuff. It sounds really good and fresh, and I like how many things are combined into the song. My favorite, and in my opinion the best song on there is the Photosphere demo, but the others are still pretty good too.

Also, I love the band name. It's really creative and original. Nice work!

coke_a_holic
09-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Thank you, sir! I definitely agree with you about Photosphere; I've redone pretty much every other song on there, though, and I'm not so sure about which is my favorite anymore.

But yeah, I'm really glad you like it; I always like getting feedback! I plan on shortening the band name to just "The Incompl" when I manage to actually record any of the other "members."

Sham
09-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Good call on changing your band name. To be honest, I don't think names that call out one person of a band over the others are very good. They always sounded pretty cheesy to me. Mike and the Incompl doesn't sound too bad though, considering you do most of the stuff yourself. How would you say it?

Also, just something little, you might want to change the link on the first page of this thread to the link in your signature. That way, people will just be taken right there.

coke_a_holic
10-08-2007, 01:14 AM
In celebration of my thread making it to two pages, here's an mp3 of Blah Blah Blah Photosphere Blah (I don't like typing out track names) with some vocals. Though I plan on redoing all the vocals again, anyways, here's the track, regardless.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/olxlyg

Enjoy, comment, tell me what's up.

Homer
10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Will listen 2 l8tr.

k thnx bye.

Homer
10-23-2007, 09:10 PM
"Sorry, the file you requested is not available."

DUDE, WTF?!??!1 And I was just going to finally listen to it...

coke_a_holic
10-23-2007, 11:39 PM
I put the more-done (yet still sloppily so) version on my myspace.

COMPLETE WITH SHITTY VOCALS OMGOMG!!!

All About Eve
10-24-2007, 10:08 AM
lol u suk

EMehl6
10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Just out of curiousity, All About Eve and coke_a_holic, why do you two have the same avatar, only reversed?

Homer
10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
The song is awesome.

But just add some reverb to the vocals.

coke_a_holic
10-24-2007, 04:58 PM
I added a lot of Reverb, but thought it sounded shitty. I will add more reverb, but less than I had it before. Thanks for listening, though! I like... having results yielded and people hearing them.

You can actually hear my throat giving out from try to record that song so many times. Trupunx.

EMehl6
10-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Nice songs man. I especially like Bridges Burned.

Quick question though. What software are you using, and do you record live off amps and shit, or directly into the computer? 'Cause I record shit all the time, but through amps 'cause I can't find software that works for Macs that lets me plug right into the comp, and more often than not it sounds like shit.

coke_a_holic
10-24-2007, 05:10 PM
I have an iBook, I use an M-Audio Jamlab for my guitar and bass and I have a USB microphone for acoustic guitar and vocals. All other instruments are done on the on-keyboard keyboard because I don't have any MIDI cables.

EMehl6
10-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I have an iBook too. I have Cubase recording software. Thanks man.

coke_a_holic
10-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Is it any good? Garageband drives me into fits of rage.

EMehl6
10-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Is it any good? Garageband drives me into fits of rage.

Yeah, it's really good. And best of all, I got it for free lol. And I know what you mean about GarageBand. That's probably the most useless/aggrivating piece of recording software ever invented.

coke_a_holic
10-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Update: I rerecorded Photosphere, it's basically done. Which is a good thing.

Because the day after, my laptop broke. All of my music may be lost. Which would seriously suck.

EMehl6
11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Give Apple a call, they're really good about that stuff. And usually they can recover the files on the harddrive.

Little_Miss_1565
11-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Aw man, get yourself an external HD! There are three copies of my band's album at any given time.

I'm all about the laptop rock. Rock it out.

mrconeman
11-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I dunno why it's took me so long to listen to this, I'd been meaning to for quite awhile.
Photosphere..
...haha, this is some of the weirdest/quirkiest stuff I've heard from a bbs member, and I quite like it. I was going to say that the vocals needed work, because it had that vibe of all the internet guys that try to sing, and come out sounding way deep, dull and undersang, but as the song built it just grew to fit it, especially as you started really shouting.

Nice job. I really liked the melody.

For programmed keyboard/piano Bridges Burned sounded pretty sweet too, I liked the guitar tone, fitted nicely, the only thing I would say is work a little on vibrato for the solo, the solo was nice, but I couldn't help but think that you over-thought it, instead of just playing with some feel? I dunno. Good job though.

coke_a_holic
11-04-2007, 02:32 PM
I dunno why it's took me so long to listen to this, I'd been meaning to for quite awhile.
Photosphere..
...haha, this is some of the weirdest/quirkiest stuff I've heard from a bbs member, and I quite like it. I was going to say that the vocals needed work, because it had that vibe of all the internet guys that try to sing, and come out sounding way deep, dull and undersang, but as the song built it just grew to fit it, especially as you started really shouting.

Nice job. I really liked the melody.

For programmed keyboard/piano Bridges Burned sounded pretty sweet too, I liked the guitar tone, fitted nicely, the only thing I would say is work a little on vibrato for the solo, the solo was nice, but I couldn't help but think that you over-thought it, instead of just playing with some feel? I dunno. Good job though.

Haha, thanks! I actually don't program anything; it's all (painstakingly) done manually (EDIT: lol except for the part you were referencing, which I got rid of because I didn't like the sequencer anymore). Photosphere turned out pretty close to how I wanted it to, though I'm still finishing up writing out the music so that real horn players can record it.

Burned Bridges has been changed entirely. I don't even recognize it anymore, I'll put it up as soon as my laptop is fixed. I did overthink the solo a lot; I found myself recording it over and over again trying to get it to sound right, but it gets so emotionless playing it so many times.

I'm glad you liked it, though, I really appreciate the comments!

coke_a_holic
11-24-2007, 02:58 AM
The people have a right to know...

What I've been recording over the past 3 hours.

I give you: The first minute and 15 seconds of a song with only guitar, bass, and (fake) drums!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/s01meo

Expect an updated version of this piece of a song in about never.

Sorry about me sucking at this, however, I do have a band now, so I plan on spending a few eons re-recording stuff with them whenever I finish writing.

Homer
11-24-2007, 02:12 PM
I like.

HOWEVER! Make the guitars louder... and the bass a bit more twang-ier? I don't know, the quality/sound levels sound weird.

T-6005
11-30-2007, 11:27 PM
From beginning to end, then.

Ugh, no offense, but I don't like the voice on Photosphere at all, and it sounds like there's a slightly out of time guitar in the background at time.

Are you trying to simulate two vocalists? I think it could be fun in a more upbeat way, but the drums aren't loud enough and the way the trumpets are organized really don't do it for me. Also the synth fades in and out too much. Sorry, but I've got to stick with the honesty for this one. It could be alright if the quality and singing were improved. Wait, actually, there's a part right before the synth comes back in, before the robotic voice, where the voice doesn't sound too bad.

I'm listening to Bridges Burned. I enjoy it, but I still think you should have the synth continue throughout the entire thing - perhaps in a faded out way? The break in between the intro and main part sounds a bit too strongly emphasized. It needs some sort of lead voice for a bit of it - or perhaps some sort of more prominent drum beat. Still, I like it, and the solo is fun to listen to. I like the tone you're using on it. Like a fuzz, almost, but not quite strong enough to totally ruin the sound of the guitar being fuzzed.

Now for Sleep - this is quite a bit of fun. Almost a bit of an old swing feel mixed in with ska there, which I'm enjoying quite a bit. There needs to be more mixing done on this track, though - the levels are off. Some things are too loud and there's definite noticeable buzzing. I'm glad you labeled these demos, otherwise I might disapprove too severely. Although I do leave a lot of sloppiness in my own songs.

I think I went from disliking your music on Photosphere to enjoying it on Sleep. I think you should definitely beef up Bridges Burned a lot, since it's got a ton of potential, and maybe turn down the high-range EQ on the buzzing guitar on Sleep, and it should cut out the buzzing significantly.

Anyways, keep going and good luck on getting these finished up. There's definitely a lot of potential here.

coke_a_holic
12-05-2007, 08:39 PM
1. I'm getting a real band. This weekend, they're coming over and I'm re-recording drums, saxophones, and trumpets with REAL INSTRUMENTS. I'm really excited for it.

2. Thanks for the input, T!

I'm not much of a vocalist, and my voice sounds really weak and nasally, so I generally stay in that shouting voice to avoid the otherwise obnoxious drone.

I know which part you mean, when you said the vocals sounded better, and I really didn't think that part sounded like my voice, but I trust your judgment on vocals more than I trust my own, so I may try and do that a little bit more.

Also: Burning Bridges, I've redone for the most part, keeping pretty much just the solo's tone (which I also enjoyed) and the chord progression. The new version doesn't have the synthesizer at all. I really enjoyed recording Sleep, but I had to change it because parts of it got really annoying to me.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback, like a lot! It's very helpful to me and it gives me a better idea of when I'm crossing borders.

I plan on fixing everything this weekend when the real band comes, which I'm very excited for.

coke_a_holic
01-07-2008, 08:31 PM
New parts of songs are up, old songs are down!

1. Photosphere is getting a makeover with real horns, so it's coming down. Also, the lyrics are changing.

2. Burning Bridges is getting a makeover with less suck. Also, the everything is changing.

3. Fuck the Sleep demo.

In exchange for!

1. Everything Is Ruined Temporarily! This song has FOUR SYNTHESIZERS! Also, I totally take a Buckethead moment in the solo.

2. I've Never Hated Anyone (As Much As I Hate Everyone)!!! This song is a Streetlight Manifesto-y nonsense song. It's more done than this demo would make you believe, but the other half didn't have drums programmed, so fuck that.

3. (the intro and the first solo, poorly edited together of) Everything Is Ruined Temporarily WITH (some) REAL HORNS!!! CLARINETS! ALTO SAXES! ALTO SAX SOLO!!!!! OMGWTF!!!!

How's that for advertising? Check it out, tell me what you think, I already know how out of tune my guitar was during Ruined Temporarily. I also caught the stupid pun that it's an Incompl(ete) Demo by The Incompl. Suck it.

thanks!

Mr. Gepetto
01-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I thought Ruined Temporarily was pretty cool, though it seemed the rhythm guitar was off at spots, but over all really cool stuff in this song.

Homer
01-07-2008, 08:55 PM
-Everything Is Ruined Temporarily-

Well, everything is sounding more together and tighter, but if there's one criticism I have to make is that there's too much going on. Try to keep it simple, or atleast make it even more tighter. Good song, though.

-Never Hated-

I downloaded the demo you sent me before, which I liked a lot, and then I listened to this expecting to be the same recording. I was surprised by the horns. I still like it just as much (maybe even a little more), but I guess the horns can be a little more together and organized, but I imagine this will all be fixed with real horns.

-Everything Is Ruined FOREVER- Confusion FTL!!2.
I like.

Carson's pick of the update!~$
Never Hated, but only because Everything Is Ruined Forever isn't complete.

coke_a_holic
01-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention. Everything Ruined #2 is Everything Is Ruined Forever, hahaha. I'm going to have Temporarily at the very beginning of the hypothetical album and Ruined at the end.

But yeah, thanks for listening, guys.

Gepretto: Mistakes in rhythm is my forte, I'm a master of moving tempos forward. I'll definitely go through it and fix those mistakes.

Carshrawn: I dunno, I like how busy it sounds in a lot of places, but I'll agree that in some places it can be a bit much. I may get rid of the piano part in a bunch of places to clear the space up a bit more.

Thanks again, guys, it's much appreciated! Expect complete versions of these songs in never!

T-6005
01-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Still a few timing issues, but they're minor. I rather enjoy Ruined Temporarily. It's got nice rhythm, some nice fills, and a lot of the things you use have interesting moments - unfortunately, the cohesive feel is a little broken at times. Still, overall, it's nicely done.

Never Hated could have been a nice effort - but there's too much timing horribleness, and I can't figure out where it comes from. Maybe the MIDI. Do you have trouble keeping that in time? I find I do when I attempt to compose with MIDI, so that might be it. A very desert Mexican "I am Zorro" theme going on, which in this case is a good thing. I imagine an adventure film with some horses going on.

I wasn't impressed at all Everything Ruined. I thought I would enjoy it when the first two horns came in, but you went at it way too hard with the guitar and the rest of the horns were completely unfocused.

So overall, I enjoyed the first two songs aside from minor timing issues. I enjoyed the beginning of the third and then I feel it kind of lost the plot.

coke_a_holic
01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, in all fairness, the third is actually two very different points of the song that I faded between each other; there's about 3 minutes of just acoustic guitar between them where I will eventually record vocals, and after the alto solo, there will be a few more. Also, the horns are notedly poorly recorded. Two of them on that song are still in MIDI form, and the other two were done on an awful microphone. I'm fixing it when I buy a real mic.

And yes, recording with MIDI is a serious pain in the ass, which is especially apparent on Never Hated because I need everything to be in perfect time with itself; it doesn't help that I don't know how to play piano and have been trying to teach myself how to just so I can record my own music.

The reason the rhythms are off is because I record with a metronome, then put the programmed drums in later, which means that any light mistakes I make on the guitar are accentuated by the fact that the fake drums are always perfect and generally made to fit the intended rhythm of the guitar.

Thanks for listening, sir! Your feedback is always welcome.

Sham
01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Holy crap, this stuff is awesome dude! I don't have much more to say, because I'm not very technical and don't play instruments, I just listen, ya know? But don't worry about being TOO perfect. Just keep it up, cause you are really talented and this stuff is off the hook. I'm talking about the first two, though; Everything Ruined isn't very good, sorry. :p :p :p

coke_a_holic
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Haha, you know that Ruined Temporarily and Everything Ruined are the same songs, just the first is electric and full of synths and the other is acoustic and full of homosexuality, right?

Either way, thanks! I'm glad you liked it! Really, guys, you guys rule for actually listening. And Sham: don't worry, I don't plan on sacrificing the quirkiness in favor of perfection. I just want to fix any real blaring problems.

Thanks again, you guys are the best, and expect even more from me throughout the year because I have so much more free time these days!

coke_a_holic
01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
I just completely re-recorded and uploaded Everything Is Ruined Temporarily. It showcases my ability to not play piano, but have fun pretending to. Enjoy, all that.

Harnum
01-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Still a few miiinnnnooorrr issues with timing on the rhythm guitar. Sorry that this comment probably gets so repetitive...

Other than that, it's totally awesome and dance worthy. I like the random keys you slam in the chorus at times. Akward, but a great akward! Keep it up Mike!

coke_a_holic
01-14-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't get tired of it, I've actually decided against trying to fix it. It's not that noticeable to me and I think that music should be more fun than work. Also: rhythmic mistakes will soon be covered up by my shouting, so that'll even out well.

Thanks for listening, though, I'm glad you liked it. My favorite part in the whole recording session was beating my keyboard up on random notes in the breaks of chords.

Harnum
01-14-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't get tired of it, I've actually decided against trying to fix it. It's not that noticeable to me and I think that music should be more fun than work.
100% truuuuuuuth!

Thanks for listening, though, I'm glad you liked it. My favorite part in the whole recording session was beating my keyboard up on random notes in the breaks of chords.
Haha, no problem. The beating on the keyboard is actually cool.

coke_a_holic
05-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Bump from waaaay long ago.

I finished another song a few weeks ago. And by "finished" I still mean no vocals and no real horns, but whatever.

Update on the happenings: my laptop broke on the first day of February, I gave up on music, I decided to try and write more in mid-April, and stole my dad's computer for a few days to record this. I decided I liked the title Sleep Is For The Rich, but not the song, so I gave the title to this new song, which has no elements from the original song...

It's my Okkervil River meets BTMI! song or something? It's pretentious, it's bouncy, it's got fake drums and horns!

Please listen! Carson already gave an approval, so you know it's rockin'. Or whatever cool music is these days.

www.myspace.com/theincompl

coke_a_holic
05-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Bump because I put vocals on this song.

No, seriously.

I renamed it "Divide And Rectify" and there are lyrics about Arabian punishment and stuff. So... uh, check it out plz thx.

Homer
05-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Man, you must've looked like an ass recording those vocals.

But in all sriusness, it's sounding great. Vocals work, and the song's just an overall good one. Can't wait until you finally find a way to get real horns and drums in the mix.

P.S.
Do you think you can upload the sounds you use for the drums? Or, is it just like, pre-made beats?

coke_a_holic
06-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Bubbabubbabump.

I re-recorded a lot of my songs last night between 1:30 and 9 in the morning. The majority of these re-dos are now on my myspace!

Old friends that returned anew:
Everything Is Ruined Temporarily
Photosphere

New Hotness:
Keep 'Em Where I Can See 'Em (very working title, very working version, but I think it sounds neat)

Soon to be finished:
Never Hated: the incompl(ete) demo is really rough and this version is less rough and will be up this weekend
Burning Bridges: you remember that annoying synthesizer? Gone!

I'm gonna redo Ruined Forever when I have my horn section, and I'm gonna leave Sleep Is For The Rich as is, but might redo the vocals again.

nieh
06-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I need to remind myself to check this out once I get back home later.

Homer
07-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Everything Is Ruined Temporarily
Don't seem to remember what the old one was like, but if I were a bettin' man, I'd say that it's more solid and in time? Also, the part near/after 3:30 is awesome.

Keep 'Em Where I can See 'Em
Good. That's pretty much all I can say. Good bass, good guitar, good drum loops, etc. This song makes me want to bust out the ol' electric and record some stuff right now.

Photosphere
It got better. Just needs real horns and it's perfect!

coke_a_holic
11-25-2008, 11:45 PM
I still do this! Sorry! I have two new songs demonstrating how pretentious I've become!!! They both have LYRICS that are UNDERSTANDABLE.

Selloutz.

Uh, Green Eyes is adorable, apparently. Sounds like whatever other stuff I do, but a bit more manly or whatever.

Hold On is what happens when I think it would be cool to try to be the Mountain Goats!

I will have more finished because I am on a roll with this indie-bullshit thing.

EDIT: 3 pages!! etc.

EDIT 2: As expected, I forgot the link: www.myspace.com/theincompl

coke_a_holic
01-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I have a new song up called Cat's Cradle and I redid the vocals on Green Eyes.

Cat's Cradle's best parts are at 1:03 and 3:30 because they're the least listenable moments. And now Green Eyes finally has a recording that wasn't done in a dorm room.

I hope you guys enjoy them, because I had a lot of fun writing and recording them and I actually like my own music... I mean, isn't that the point of having a band/outlet, though? To play the music you want to hear?

www.myspace.com/theincompl

coke_a_holic
03-29-2009, 03:33 AM
It's your bi-monthly update.

I'm still alive.

I put up a new version of Cat's Cradle, but as far as any of you guys know, judging by my thread's activity, it's the original. <3

Whatchu guys think of me losing my voice at the end? Sickrude right?

EDIT: <3 u guys. I'll stop bothering you about this.

T-6005
03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
I was hoping to hear the words "ice-nine" in Cat's Cradle. Perhaps they were in there, but I missed them.

I am not a huge fan of your voice, still, but I enjoy the song's vibe. The songwriting is quite good and everything flows very well into everything else.

Overall, very well done aside from the voice - the sound of your voice isn't bad, but you just sound... not quite in tune sometimes.

So it goes.

coke_a_holic
04-06-2009, 01:32 AM
I knew I was forgetting something! It was Ice Nine! No, but I kinda just wrote a song about the end of the world and decided that it bore resemblance to the book of the same name, so I decided to accept that openly, rather than worry that people would tell me that I'm ripping off a genius.

Anyways, I'm posting to say that I'm resigning the Mike And The Incompl group. I'm going to re-evaluate the whole band thing and hopefully regroup with some new ideas and other band members to give a better system of checks and balances.

Because of this, I'm releasing everything I own and disowning most of it at once. I figure SOMEONE is interested in this.

THIS IS EVERYTHING I HAVE EVER RECORDED ON MY COMPUTER NO MATTER HOW TERRIBLE!! It's titled Mike And The Incompl - Embarrassing Noise (the zip set)

Zip 1: Unlistenable Noise (FEAT. Hozfutter, General Mordor And The Umpaloompas)http://www.mediafire.com/?zy2itywn5mt

Zip 2: Somewhat Listenable Noise (FEAT. Mike and Matt, The Mongeese) - http://www.mediafire.com/?imtmnu05teo

Zip 3: Listenable Noise (FEAT. Mike And The Incompl) - http://www.mediafire.com/?1zinmnzijjm

(This one Includes the entirely instrumental version of the Everything Is Ruined Forever EP and the demos for the Specificity EP.)

Zip 4: Outtakes, Alternate Versions of songs: http://www.mediafire.com/?5zkz2d4nmzn
These are entirely from Mike And The Incompl, I think they're interesting, but that's just me

So yeah, um, I hope someone finds something interesting in here, but I don't expect anyone to download any of these, I just figured I would put them up because a friend of mine asked for them. A new band is in the works and I'm really excited about it, so you guys can continue to ignore it and go about your business.

Free?
05-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Hej Mike your pretty good for numetal liek Limbizkit.

I've listened to some of your stuff, The Somewhat Listenable Noise compilation (well, the name was the most comforting of all). Uh. Is that how you improvise or you really worked through those compositions on every note and each beat? It's even more structureless and broken stuff than most of bands you post in the other thread.
My favorites are Offspring songs remakes (Beheaded jazz remix is the besssst, I laughed a lot, well, second best after Smash cover) and the most "correct" songs such as Funk/Jazz v2, pink floyd, zep/spring/primus one, pentagram etc. But I'll describe my overall impression with a tag. ;]

coke_a_holic
05-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I'll be perfectly honest about my Unlistenable/Somewhat Listenable Noise zip files... they're bad. I used to listen to this terrible music and that's what I wanted to emulate. I promise I will never do this sort of thing again.

I was about 15 years old throughout the recording of the Unlistenable Noise and SLN tapes; I had just learned how to play guitar moderately well and decided it was time to throw all of that away and to write the most convoluted bullshit possible. A lot of the stuff in the Somewhat Listenable Zip was made up literally on the spot: I would start recording and tell my brother to play a beat on the drums and we would just riff off of it for way too long.

I'm really, really just excited that you took the time to listen to it, even if it is a torture chamber. In between the SLN and the Listenable Noise comps, I had a real band, and that's what propelled me into actual songwriting and stuff, as opposed to just playing whatever the fuck I felt like. So I recommend listening to that and ignoring everything else, basically.

No, but seriously, <3's just for trying it out. And if you think I post weird/broken stuff in that thread, you should listen again, probably...

coke_a_holic
06-11-2009, 04:10 AM
This song is just about done! A little clipping here and there (EDIT: New link should've fixed most of it), and maybe I'll do the vocal track again, but this is what I got!

Cat's Cradle - Me b/w a drummer (FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER) and a real saxophonist (FOR THE SECOND TIME EVER). We don't have a band name yet. Or a bassist that isn't me. Or a piano player that isn't me.

Anyways! Here it is! Tell me what you think plzplz, I'm always looking for some things to fix.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wnodm5m5dgz

EDIT: Oh yeah, my favorite part of the song is DEFINITELY at, like, 2:06. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Free?
06-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Hello again. This time I've picked up the "Listenable Noise" compilation and holy shit, this stuff is really listenable. I'd argue about "Noise" part, there is no noise. Whatever. That comp was a fucking sweet surprise. Started off with 'tekno-stuff', the electronic sounds are really in-place. Ever heard of Dover, the Spanish band? The 'Photosphere', 'Bridges Burned' and 'Ruined' have the Dover-chemistry. Dover were playing punk-indie-grunge rock, few years ago they changed to electronic pop sound remaking their old songs as well. It's amazing that your songs have that Dover-groove even if you'd strip away all the synths or whatever that is.
'Never Hated' has the 'Monochrome Initial' vibe (T-6005's composition). Idk what it's called like, methinks it's the same chord progression. But there's a very noticeable difference between two of you as composers.
Then there are few 'Green Eyeish' songs that seem to have much in common with Sister City (ugh. I hope that's correct) sound. I couldn't get the lyrics right away, but it seemed kinda clichey (:P``). But not horrible. Not bad actually. Actually I think quite good. For numetal that is.
And finally there's 'Cradle'. It's a great song, my favorite part is when the sax (?) comes in in the chorus and how it keeps crying on the background all the time during song builds up into emotional finale.
I really enjoyed your music this time, definitely, I have picked up a wrong compilation to start with.
Removing the tag \o/.

coke_a_holic
06-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Well, thanks, Free! I'm glad you changed your mind on the "torture chamber" aspect of my music! I'm telling you, a lot can change in a year -- I basically bought a laptop with garageband and finally had the means to write the songs I had in my head with a real band AND I could keep it organized (but yeah I'm pretty good for nu metal, I guess). I also taught myself piano just so I could play the songs I wrote... Before March 2007 or so, I had never once played a piano with any idea of what I was doing.

But yeah, I've never heard of Dover, but I've had a lot of my music compared to Ratatat, which sounds similar, based off of your description. I was really embarrassed of my voice when I first started singing, which is why most of those songs are instrumental; I was hoping to do vocals on all of them, but ended up just leaving them as instrumental tracks.

Yeah, Sister City used to be just the singer, Adam, and he would give me a lot of tips on recording and writing, so a lot of my music ended up sounding a lot like his. Then he asked me to join his band. Then he kicked me out fairly unprofessionally and I haven't really talked to him since then.

Just as a question, did you download the new version of Cat's Cradle or are you going by the older one?

Free?
06-12-2009, 03:33 AM
I've heard the older version in the compilation too, but I was talking about the latest one.
BTW, forgot to mention it before, the sax makes it sound somewhat like an Anti-Flag song. I can easily imagine Justin and Chris singing your parts there.