PDA

View Full Version : Total Immortal?

skiddles824
05-21-2007, 01:27 PM
What Cd is this on? is it new? or is it just an unrealesed song?

Llamas
05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
It's a song that AFI wrote. The Offspring covered it and released it for the "Me Myself and Irene" soundtrack. It's a good 8 years old or so.

F@ BANKZ
05-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah it isn't new, it was probably recorded in order to help promote AFI, at the time they were the biggest band on Nitro records, Dex did a good job promoting them. Another example is we can see when he wears their T-shirt in Idle Hands.

Llamas
05-21-2007, 01:34 PM
He did a really good job. I started listening to AFI cause of Totalimmortal.

F@ BANKZ
05-21-2007, 01:42 PM
It was a very good recording

Llamas
05-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I like the Offspring's version better than AFI's, and not just cause I like the Offspring more.

Jack-UK
05-21-2007, 01:52 PM
the offspring cover of this song was AMAZING. Seriously, it ranks up the top of my fav offspring songs. Shame its not their own.. but i dont really like AFI.. at least i dont like their recent stuff.. pretty crappy imo.. some of their old stuff aint bad tho.

nameless
05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
the offspring cover of this song was AMAZING. Seriously, it ranks up the top of my fav offspring songs. Shame its not their own.. but i dont really like AFI.. at least i dont like their recent stuff.. pretty crappy imo.. some of their old stuff aint bad tho.

i think afi are really good but i couldnt get into their last album, what makes it worse is it seems they play mainly new songs live as well!

Peedr
05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
the offspring cover of this song was AMAZING. Seriously, it ranks up the top of my fav offspring songs. Shame its not their own.. but i dont really like AFI.. at least i dont like their recent stuff.. pretty crappy imo.. some of their old stuff aint bad tho.I have to second you at all points.

HeadAroundU
05-21-2007, 03:22 PM
AFI's last albums are amazing.

I love the offspring version of Total Immortal. It was produced by Butch Vig, 'Bloodstains' as well. They should have made Splinter with him.

Blackball_
05-21-2007, 03:33 PM
I love the offspring version of Total Immortal. It was produced by Butch Vig, 'Bloodstains' as well. They should have made Splinter with him.i agree, but i remember them saying they wanted him but he was busy with something else?

the cover of totalimmortal is a good song, but the vocals on the "hope unknown" bit are horribly computerised.

dexandnoodles
05-21-2007, 05:50 PM
yea..i like their version way better than AFI's. it's cooler:cool:

-Mota-Boy-
05-22-2007, 05:05 AM
Pretty old..2000 or something like that..But song is cool.
Dexter kinda sounds like AFI singer too.

Grabbal
05-22-2007, 05:08 AM

Lupin
05-22-2007, 07:12 AM
I agree with Bush on this one.
________
Think Mill (http://thinkmill.com/)

DeAtHsTaR
05-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Their voices are very different, but they're almost interchangable.

Little_Miss_1565
05-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Are y'all high? They sound nothing alike. They both sing high, that's about it.

I started listening to AFI long before Offspring covered "Totalimmortal" and I think that's why I don't like it so much...I have the AFI version in my head as what it should sound like, and the Offspring's version doesn't sound like that.

Llamas
05-22-2007, 07:57 AM
haha I think it's the same/opposite for me. I heard the Offspring version first, so the AFI version doesn't sound right to me. :P

Grabbal
05-22-2007, 08:04 AM

malibu43
05-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Are y'all high? They sound nothing alike. They both sing high, that's about it.

I started listening to AFI long before Offspring covered "Totalimmortal" and I think that's why I don't like it so much...I have the AFI version in my head as what it should sound like, and the Offspring's version doesn't sound like that.

I agree on both points. They don't sound alike. And the AFI version "rocks" way harder than the Offspring one.

Plus, I've seen AFI play that song live, and there is absolutely no way the Offspring could do it justice the way AFI does.

*edit* - I just looked Total Immortal up on youtube, and all the videos of AFI performing it are from the last couple years. I saw them in 2001 at the warped tour before sing the sorrow came out. The performances of the song from recent concerts look like they kind of suck. But you'll have to take my word for it, when they played it in 2001 Davey sounded just like he does on the CD, and it was awsome. Back then, he used to straight up scream the way he does on the old recordings. Now days, he does this weird thing where it sounds like he's sucking in when he screams. Maybe it saves his voice, but it sounds like my butt.

Llamas
05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
AFI has never been anything special live. :( I saw them in 2002, and they had energy, but didn't sound good. Davey sounded awful...

Grabbal
05-22-2007, 10:10 AM

HeadAroundU
05-22-2007, 10:10 AM
i agree, but i remember them saying they wanted him but he was busy with something else?

the cover of totalimmortal is a good song, but the vocals on the "hope unknown" bit are horribly computerised.
Probably AFI's STS.

No idea what you are talking about, it sounds very good. But there are some horrible mp3s of Totalimmortal. Get a good one.

Just accept it, people, The offspring raped AFI's ass with Totalimmortal. :)

JohnnyNemesis
05-22-2007, 10:22 AM
The Offspring's version is absolutely horrible, and they butchered it. My pet peeve is cover songs that don't change anything from the original. They manaed to not change enough to make it interesting, just enough to make it sound shitty as fuck. The song was NOT meant for Dexter's voice at all.

Llamas
05-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Whoever thinks their voices sound similar or are interchangeable is a moron. They both to the yelling type of singing, but they don't sound similar. The only time they're similar is when they sing on each other's albums, because they're trying to suit each other's styles better. But it's still obvious.

I'm listening to both versions of Totalimmortal now. I remember when I first heard this song, and my sister was like 7 years old, and couldn't say Total Immortal... so she'd always call it "Tortle immortal" haha. So I always think of that when I say the title. The Offspring's version does sound a little too polished... but I like that they don't slow down during the "this rage I can not let go" (that part doesn't seem to fit to me in the AFI version). I do like that the guitar licks are more prominent in AFI's version... but I definitely like what the Offspring did with the "now every face looks familiar" part. A lot.

HeadAroundU
05-22-2007, 11:15 AM
The offspring sold out this song. It fucking rocks. They made it accessible to masses. It's cool and catchy. They made what oldschoolers like Ricky and 1565 don't like.

I admit that I heard the offspring's version first.

RobinoZombie
05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I have to second you at all points.

They only played 4songs(not including prelude in stockholm)
got a decent setlist here across the pond:)

Coleby
05-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Could someone please upload The Offspring's version for me, it's not on iTunes. :( It would be greatly appreciated.

Ninty Man
05-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Could someone please upload The Offspring's version for me, it's not on iTunes. :( It would be greatly appreciated.

I have it on my Ipod... but I miss the original version... I must second this petition

HeadAroundU
05-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Here ya go:
http://download.yousendit.com/FECECE3F2481B216

Speedy Gonzales, don't touch it!

Coleby
05-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Thank you so much, HeadAroundU!

HeadAroundU
05-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Thank you so much, HeadAroundU!
5 dollars, please. :D

WebDudette
05-25-2007, 04:40 PM
I heard The Offspring's version before I even knew who AFI were. It was one of my favorite songs for quite a while, I loved it. Then I started to get in to AFI and heard their version I think it's a ton better. I love when they slow down for the 'every face looks familiar' part, of course I usually love when any song does a similar thing. I enjoy the music more and Davey's vocals are just so much better. Not only do they sound better but they flow better.The Offspring's also sounds cleaner and more produced and in this occasion I don't like that. I prefer AFI to The Offspring now days so I could be biased.

sebastienfan
05-25-2007, 08:05 PM
have you ever heard this song called " video killed the radio star"
I dint know about this song being related to staring at the sun, I just found out...

Ninty Man
05-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Here ya go:
http://download.yousendit.com/FECECE3F2481B216

Speedy Gonzales, don't touch it!

Thanks... and fuck you

WebDudette
05-26-2007, 12:47 AM
have you ever heard this song called " video killed the radio star"
I dint know about this song being related to staring at the sun, I just found out...

That;s because it's not and 'video killed the radio star' isn't even by the offspring.

BustedKnuckles
05-29-2007, 05:53 PM
That;s because it's not and 'video killed the radio star' isn't even by the offspring.

It was covered by Presidents of the United States of America.

I don't know why people think that that is Dexter's voice...hell the guitar parts don't even sound like The Offspring.